Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   So awesome that "playoffs" started, yet no thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485197)

Clarkmeister 08-24-2007 03:59 AM

So awesome that \"playoffs\" started, yet no thread

And not much interest I'm thinking. Which is awesome. I was reading that next year the Ryder Cup is the week after the final playoff event. 5 weeks straight. LOL. Hard to imagine that several players don't miss more than just 1 event. Not well executed at all.

pokergrader 08-24-2007 05:22 AM

Re: So awesome that \"playoffs\" started, yet no thread

The whole thing is a joke. Golf has 4 weeks a year which are must see TV, and I don't think it ever is going to be more than that.

But at least they are trying.

swede554 08-24-2007 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Golf has 5 weeks a year which are must see TV, and I don't think it ever is going to be more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a Ryder Cup year and you're American or European.

or...

[ QUOTE ]
Golf has 6 weeks a year which are must see TV, and I don't think it ever is going to be more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

because the Players Championship is really a must-watch...

Greenmachine 08-24-2007 09:19 AM

Would you guys be more interested if they had made the playoffs match play?

I think once they get down to the last two events of the playoffs it should be a little more exciting, but yeah no reason to watch the first few events

sylar 08-24-2007 09:40 AM

is there betting for the fedex cup winner? if so, how did the line change when tiger said he won't participate this week?

FireStorm 08-24-2007 10:05 AM

I've been following it quite closely, but only because I'm a golf nut and because we're attenting Saturday and Sunday.

Agreed that there isn't much alternate interest in it, and that I'm surprised this is the first thread.

Singh on pace to miss the cut so this weekend could become considerably less interesting/allow a lot more people into the mix.

RacersEdge 08-24-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golf has 5 weeks a year which are must see TV, and I don't think it ever is going to be more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a Ryder Cup year and you're American or European.

or...

[ QUOTE ]
Golf has 6 weeks a year which are must see TV, and I don't think it ever is going to be more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's four for me - the Ryder cup is more "watch if I'm not doing something else". Part of that is that I find match play pretty boring.

HajiShirazu 08-24-2007 11:37 AM

The problem is that everybody knows pro golfers are mostly a bunch of silver spoon rich boy racists who make millions to play a game that most of us pay (too much) to play. The last thing anyone is going to care about is which of these guys gets an additional ten million dollars and some meaningless artificial championship that is just a ripoff of nascar's dumb idea, especially since golf is all about tradition anyway.
Furthermore tiger woods isn't even playing this week, which makes this week's tournament a "B" event even if the other 143 guys did show up.

RacersEdge 08-24-2007 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that everybody knows pro golfers are mostly a bunch of silver spoon rich boy racists who make millions to play a game that most of us pay (too much) to play. The last thing anyone is going to care about is which of these guys gets an additional ten million dollars and some meaningless artificial championship that is just a ripoff of nascar's dumb idea, especially since golf is all about tradition anyway.
Furthermore tiger woods isn't even playing this week, which makes this week's tournament a "B" event even if the other 143 guys did show up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. When you're main advertising slogan is "The winner gets 10 million", you're in trouble.

tuq 08-24-2007 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. I get up for that one as much as any of the majors. Plus the Mercedes is great - prime time golf at Kapalua in the wintertime.

I was going to bump that Barclay's thread, just haven't gotten around it to it. It seems like people are hesitant to start tournament threads in this forum but once they do they get fairly decent traffic.

BrunoThePug 08-24-2007 01:23 PM

The entire idea of "playoffs" in golf is just silly. I keep hearing people talking about "all the other sports have playoffs...", good for football/basketball/baseball. Golf is not that sport, it has it's own traditions.

I think the whole thing is a misguided attempt at increasing the popularity of golf by making it more like other sports. But by doing so you offend/putoff all of the people who actually enjoy watching golf in it's current format. You're not going to get joe average who loves his local NFL team interested in golf by trying to trick him into thinking that there is some exciting playoff series.

Add in the fact that the whole thing sounds more confusing than it needs to be and I can see this becoming one of those "Sports Follies" things you'll read about 5 years from now. "Remember those stupid playoffs on the PGA tour?!?".

LeadingMan 08-24-2007 01:55 PM

I think people realize "it is what it is." I know the golf channel is hyping the hell out of it and predicting the end of life because Tiger is skipping the first week but i don't think people are fooled. I don't think anybody is expecting this to compare to the playoffs of any major sport and most people are waiting for a couple of events to play out before criticising the idea. Truth is there are a lot of obsticles and it will take a few years to figure everything out.

I am interested but I just didn't know if a thread should be started here or in sporting events.

black knight 08-24-2007 03:21 PM

I really don't know what I think about all this.

1) Match play: I love match play, but they already have the world matchplay championships...so why another one?

2) Resetting points: normal sports have seedings based on season performance, so I suppose the scaled resetting of points is meant to reward the high performers...but I think that the point disparities are WAY too large for how many points the winner will make. However, they've created an increasing scale of points for the latter weeks to perhaps make up for it...problem is only a handful of players even make it that far...so it's a REALLY uphill battle for anyone in the bottom 70 positions, which seems a bit unfair.

3) I'm still gonna watch because I like watching fields full of the very best players.

FireStorm 08-24-2007 03:47 PM

In response to the above post, regarding resetting the points, it appears that the field for NEXT week is pretty easy to determine. Quick math and a look at the full leaderboard suggests that at least 8-9 of the 24 people going home after the Barclays have already been determined (either by being +120 and not showing up or close to 120th and missing the cut). By end of today most of these 24 will have already been decided, leaving little drama for the weekend for the aspect of moving on.

Biggest move at the moment appears to be Rich Beem, currently in the clubhouse tied for 2nd, he's about 12 spots out right now.

vanwely 08-24-2007 04:20 PM

I am a fairly consistent golf watcher but the format seems too difficult to work. It seems that most of the bottom guys can't advance even to the next week without winning the whole tournament.

black knight 08-24-2007 04:30 PM

Well, Tiger gets 10k points, and every place down takes 250 off. So there's 24 people to miss x250 points = Last place player needs 1k points to move on.

roy_miami 08-24-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the whole thing is a misguided attempt at increasing the popularity of golf by making it more like other sports. But by doing so you offend/putoff all of the people who actually enjoy watching golf in it's current format. You're not going to get joe average who loves his local NFL team interested in golf by trying to trick him into thinking that there is some exciting playoff series

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its also an attempt to force the big guns to play more tourneys. It kind of says something about the state of the game where the favorite says "no thanks" to $10 mill.

ntnBO 08-24-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anyone besides me think the above is one huge pile of guano? Words just can't do it justice.

BO

vanwely 08-24-2007 10:32 PM

#144 starts off with 84,700 points. Hes got to get to #120 who starts off with 86,500 points so he has to get at least 1800 points. They give you 2000 for finishing 5th. So you have to finish about 6th. Pretty tough. Even more extreme next week if you barely make it to the top 120.

K-Slay 08-24-2007 11:32 PM

Never mind.

Six_of_One 08-25-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

#144 starts off with 84,700 points. Hes got to get to #120 who starts off with 86,500 points so he has to get at least 1800 points. They give you 2000 for finishing 5th. So you have to finish about 6th. Pretty tough. Even more extreme next week if you barely make it to the top 120.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although there are plenty of problems with this whole playoff thing, I don't think this is one of them. Are you suggesting it should be easy for someone ranked #144 after the entire season to win the top prize?

CubicZirconia 08-25-2007 01:28 PM

I don't understand all the hate for the playoffs. I think it has become fashionable to bash the Fedex Cup (within the golf world) and that's what everyone is doing. It's the first year people, it might take a little while to grow on you.

For what it's worth, I never would have watched the event taking place this week last year, and now I am.

black knight 08-25-2007 01:38 PM

FWIW, they're saying that they don't expect people to 'get it' for another 2years...they had a 3yr plan to make this get into the mainstream of things.

LetItBe 08-25-2007 05:07 PM

OMG that closeup of Rory pouting really tilts me....argh I hate him so much.

crosse91 08-25-2007 05:07 PM

WTF @ Swingaction of Rory's face.

Get that the [censored] off my tv.

Dids 08-25-2007 07:41 PM

I love watching golf, but I think it's silly to treat it like anything other than a bunch of stand alone events. I think there's more than 4 must see events if you really enjoy golf.

CubicZirconia 08-25-2007 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love watching golf, but I think it's silly to treat it like anything other than a bunch of stand alone events.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, the Superbowl is just another football game. The baseball playoffs are just like the regular season. I don't understand the argument that they're just 4 more tournaments. The same can really be said for any sport's playoffs.

Eurotrash 08-26-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anyone besides me think the above is one huge pile of guano? Words just can't do it justice.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that post blows. especially the part about how The Barclays sucks because Tiger isn't in the field.

BigSoonerFan 08-26-2007 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that everybody knows pro golfers are mostly a bunch of silver spoon rich boy racists who make millions to play a game that most of us pay (too much) to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Idiocy at its best.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, B+ anyway. You seem to have gotten smarter as your post went along.

sylar 08-26-2007 10:52 AM

so, what's the picture going to be at the next fedex cup event? it appears that tiger will have to make top 2 at least once to win, but most likely a second place and a win at the tour championship will probably be more than enough.

1 Tiger Woods 100,000
2 Vijay Singh 99,000
3 Jim Furyk 98,500
4 Phil Mickelson 98,000 (T12, top 10 will mean 1350)
5 K.J. Choi 97,500 (2nd, stands to gain 5400)
6 Rory Sabbatini 97,250 (T5, stands to gain 2000)
7 Zach Johnson 97,000
8 Charles Howell III 96,750
9 Brandt Snedeker 96,500
10 Adam Scott 96,250
11 Scott Verplank 96,100
12 Steve Stricker 95,950 (1 heading to Sunday, stands to gain 9,000)
13 Sergio Garcia 95,800
14 Woody Austin 95,650 (T2, stands to gain 2000)
15 Hunter Mahan 95,500 (T3, stands to gain 3400)
16 John Rollins 95,350
17 Boo Weekley 95,200
18 Aaron Baddeley 95,050
19 Ernie Els 94,900 (T8, stands to gain 1350)
20 Mark Calcavecchia 94,750

i gotta say, tiger isn't playing this week, but this is making me want to follow the final round of the Barclays, just to see who passes tiger in points.

poorolrich 08-26-2007 11:28 AM

I think if they were paying the 10 million in full instead of in payments he would have showed up.

tuq 08-26-2007 02:04 PM

Payments? What?

I can't be the only person who regularly watches golf for whom this point system is too complicated to try to learn, and who will just listen to what talking heads explain it to me in coming weeks.

surfinillini 08-26-2007 05:55 PM

LoL...Rich Beem's 2nd shot on 18 hit that announcer in the head

that was awesome

also...good final round to watch

Eurotrash 08-26-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is an A field. incidentally, your post got dumber as it went along.

Eurotrash 08-26-2007 06:08 PM

excellent win by Steve, too.

westhoff 08-26-2007 06:37 PM

Way to go Steve!

tuq 08-26-2007 08:13 PM

HOW ABOUT THAT TIGER-PHIL-VIJAY THREESOME THIS THURSDAY AND FRIDAY! HOT HOT CAPS-LOCK-ON-WORTHY HOT.

BigSoonerFan 08-26-2007 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If an A is the top of the line, then you can't have an A field without the top player, arguably the best player ever, in the field. Your post was idiotic all the way through.

FireStorm 08-26-2007 08:52 PM

Regarding the Beem shot that drilled the crowd, I was 40-50 feet away, in the same stands, when this happened. No one could believe it went that far left, especially since at the time an eagle could have given him the clubhouse lead.

From being at the event, it didn't seem as if the Fedex points lists were being given any extra attention by fans or players, and it wasn't a topic of immense discussion. I didn't notice players checking leaderboard for poiints info with any frequency.

Eurotrash 08-26-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If an A is the top of the line, then you can't have an A field without the top player, arguably the best player ever, in the field. Your post was idiotic all the way through.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously, with Tiger the field would have been an A+.

also, your response to my post was idiotic before you even typed it. and then even moreso AFTER you typed it.

do you see why, though? Calling this field B+ is ridiculous.