Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pizza Delivery Tip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288575)

cardcounter0 12-21-2006 03:25 PM

Pizza Delivery Tip

So I order some pizza for delivery.
The total is like $15.26

The pizza delivery guy comes to the door,
I give him a $20.

Pizza Guy: "Do you want change?"
Me (thinking): Yeah, I'm not going to tip you like $5 on a $15 order, dipwad"
Me (speaking): Yes

Pizza Guy: "How much change do you want?"
Me (thinking): HOW MUCH CHANGE DO I WANT? WTF!!!! UHHH, HOW ABOUT THE CORRECT AMOUNT? OR MAYBE FORGET THE ODD CENTS AND GIVE ME $4, AND THEN I WILL DECIDE WHAT, IF ANY, TIP YOU GET.

So what do you say to the how much change do you want question?

mosuavea 12-21-2006 03:27 PM

Re: Pizza Delivery Tip

20 - pizza - amount I want to tip = change

danzasmack 12-21-2006 03:27 PM

Four minus whatever I want to tip? Which is probably 0?

solids 12-21-2006 03:32 PM

you act like you got wronged by the pizza guy, but what he did was ridiculously standard. unless you prefer to exchange money with him one extra time.

Mother Mucker 12-21-2006 03:34 PM

I'd probably tell him to give me back 2 or 3 bucks.

cardcounter0 12-21-2006 03:36 PM

So I was wrong in telling him to empty his pockets and give me all his money? I mean, he did ask how much change I wanted, right?

spartaninpr 12-21-2006 03:36 PM

Give the guy the $20.It's Christmas.

Soul Daddy 12-21-2006 03:37 PM

The standard way to avoid this awkward situation is to state the amount of change you want back as you are handing him the money.

punkass 12-21-2006 03:37 PM

Solution - order a soda with your pizza and give the $20 to the guy, no change.

Asking for a buck or two back seems tedious and petty, even if it would result in the "correct" tip.

Zameus 12-21-2006 03:39 PM

$1 back if I haven't been waiting forever. $2 back if I can hear the stereo blasting Nickelback in his Yugo.

Dan. 12-21-2006 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The standard way to avoid this awkward situation is to state the amount of change you want back as you are handing him the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Guy: "That'll be $15.26" You: *Handing him a $20* "Can I get $2 back?"

bwana devil 12-21-2006 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in this case tell him $7

antifish225 12-21-2006 03:43 PM

give him the 20

Alobar 12-21-2006 03:43 PM

Every pizza I delivered I did it with the attitude I wasnt getting a tip. So I would never ask "do you want change?" or "how much change do you want?" or any of that crap. They paid, I gave them the change, and id turn around and start to leave. If they handed me anything I said thank you like I would say it if I wasnt expecting to get anything. I pretty much always made more in tips than the other drivers who did the "standard" routine you got. And I think my attitude was why. Not saying I wasnt above tricks like the dirty dollar and what not, but even when I was doing them I still carried the attitude that I didnt expect a tip.

solids 12-21-2006 03:43 PM

i always tip well because i assume that i'll get my order faster the next time i call, as well as thinking that it would be less likely they might spit in my food.

goodsamaritan 12-21-2006 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every pizza I delivered I did it with the attitude I wasnt getting a tip. So I would never ask "do you want change?" or "how much change do you want?" or any of that crap. They paid, I gave them the change, and id turn around and start to leave. If they handed me anything I said thank you like I would say it if I wasnt expecting to get anything. I pretty much always made more in tips than the other drivers who did the "standard" routine you got. And I think my attitude was why. Not saying I wasnt above tricks like the dirty dollar and what not, but even when I was doing them I still carried the attitude that I didnt expect a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar is completely right. I have absolutely no problem tipping cab drivers and pizza delivery guys, but I absolutely hate it when they try to pull some bs routine to trick or guilt me into tipping more

A S U 12-21-2006 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The total is like $15.26

I give him a $20.

Me (thinking): HOW MUCH CHANGE DO I WANT? WTF!!!! UHHH, HOW ABOUT THE CORRECT AMOUNT? OR MAYBE FORGET THE ODD CENTS AND GIVE ME $4, AND THEN I WILL DECIDE WHAT, IF ANY, TIP YOU GET.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really that much of a douche that you need the guy to give you change and then you give him back his tip. WTF? Hand him the $20 and say "give me back 2"

Also yay tipping thread!

tuq 12-21-2006 03:46 PM

Alobar,

"The dirty dollar"?

NutCrackerr 12-21-2006 03:48 PM

You should have said $3 dollars.

The standard tip is $1 + the change for pizza delivery.

alimoe 12-21-2006 03:55 PM

Not to try and steal this thread, but ...

What do folks usually tip for a delivery guy? Is it a standard ($2)? Is it a percentage of the total?

Alobar 12-21-2006 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

"The dirty dollar"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this really old wrinkly torn up dollar that I wadded up and shoved in the ground and stomped around on. Was really dirty and just kinda gross. When I would deliver somewhere that I knew I likely wasnt getting tipped, I would hand them that dollar in change. I almost always got it back.

ItalianFX 12-21-2006 03:59 PM

I delivered pizza/food for about a year and a half and I never expected a tip. I would always assume to give back the full amount of the difference and if they wanted to tip me they could give it back. Or they would tell me to keep so much and I would give them back that difference. Other times when they didn't mention something I would kind of stall while getting the money out of the money bag just to see if they would say something, but at the same time I made it look like I was thinking how much to give them back...which I was at the same time.

There were a few times when someone would have a $14 order and give me a $20 and tell me to keep the change and I was like, "Are you sure?" It always threw me off when I would get a big tip like that.

ItalianFX 12-21-2006 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

"The dirty dollar"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this really old wrinkly torn up dollar that I wadded up and shoved in the ground and stomped around on. Was really dirty and just kinda gross. When I would deliver somewhere that I knew I likely wasnt getting tipped, I would hand them that dollar in change. I almost always got it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, so all you are doing is making the person feel like they are tipping you, but in reality, you are no better off and just making yourself look like an idiot.

mosdef 12-21-2006 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, so all you are doing is making the person feel like they are tipping you, but in reality, you are no better off and just making yourself look like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again.

ItalianFX 12-21-2006 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he almost always got it back, so the times that he didn't get it back, that other person was stuck with a bad dollar. I guess it makes sense.

Alobar 12-21-2006 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

"The dirty dollar"?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know how that makes me look like an idiot. Its not like the dollar was covered in [censored] or something. They got their change, if they want to keep it good for them. If they wanna give me back a dollar because its old and dirty and beneath their poor cheapskating asses, then fine by me.

ItalianFX 12-21-2006 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

"The dirty dollar"?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know how that makes me look like an idiot. Its not like the dollar was covered in [censored] or something. They got their change, if they want to keep it good for them. If they wanna give me back a dollar because its old and dirty and beneath their poor cheapskating asses, then fine by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. I pictured a much different dollar. Your intentions were different than I assumed.

milesdyson 12-21-2006 04:09 PM

I delivered pizza back in the day, and some old haggard bitch got mad at me for giving her change back on an order much like the one in the OP. It was about $15, she gave me $20, and as I was getting her change, she said, "What are you doing?"

I said something like, "Oh I'm getting your change, do you not need any?"

She sighs and acts surprised, shakes her head or some crap. "I've been ordering this from this restaurant for 10 years and no one has ever tried to give me any change back," as if I were suggesting she couldn't afford the tip.

Elandriel 12-21-2006 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he almost always got it back, so the times that he didn't get it back, that other person was stuck with a bad dollar. I guess it makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

say what??:S

anyway, i give like $2 if it's on time.

Dementia 12-21-2006 04:12 PM

This stuff is really an issue? I order pizza from the same place every week with a soda and it's around $16.50, I just give them the $20 to keep, seems anal to ask for $1 back.

tom10167 12-21-2006 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar is completely right. I have absolutely no problem tipping cab drivers and pizza delivery guys, but I absolutely hate it when they try to pull some bs routine to trick or guilt me into tipping more

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this when dealing too. Sometimes a dude will throw me a red chip and say nothing. I just change it to whites and give him five. Sometime they throw me a red chip and ask for a chop or change, again I just throw them all white and let them decide.

My mommy taught me that! <3

danzasmack 12-21-2006 04:13 PM

One time at Ralph's (the italian ice place) I went to get ices for my family. They have a drive up window if you are getting for a bunch of people I guess so I did that. I gave the guy like $22 for $17 worth of ices and he gave me back $3. I looked at him like "wtf?" I had already had $2 in my hand to tip the guy. After he just took the tip at his own will and didn't understand what I was doing I got cranky and didn't tip. It wasn't really all that common to tip there so I didn't feel that bad.

Mark L 12-21-2006 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The total is like $15.26

I give him a $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the chance, hand him $2. Done.

goodsamaritan 12-21-2006 04:19 PM

BTW, whenever I go to the bank I stock up on $2 bills and give them as tips. The illegal alien delivery guys always do a double take when getting the $2 bill.

good2cu 12-21-2006 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The total is like $15.26

I give him a $20.

Cliff notes: I'm a broke nit

[/ QUOTE ]

fiskebent 12-21-2006 04:37 PM

I love tipping threads

cking 12-21-2006 04:48 PM

Anyone else who used to do delivery find that they tip way more then they plan on? I'm always telling myself to tip $2 (especially when i was broke freshman year of college) and then i'd end up always tipping over 3.

P.S - that line is standard, tipping is customary so dont be mad that the guy expects a tip, it's just stupid

metsandfinsfan 12-21-2006 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

"The dirty dollar"?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is awesome

tboss888 12-21-2006 06:46 PM

How did people tip before OOT came around?

udbrky 12-21-2006 06:48 PM

How to order and pay for a pizza.

When you order, this is how you should do it:

You: Hello I'd like to make an order for delivery (or carryout).
Them: What is your phone #/name/address, etc.
You: Info, plus any unique information that would help them find you.
Them: What would you like?
You: (note that this has been decided prior to you calling and ordering. Know what they have, any coupons or specials you might use, etc.) I want a large traditional crust pepperoni, sausage and extra cheese, etc. (note any special requests - cut in squares, not cut, well done, etc. here).
Them: Ok, I have you down for x, y, and z. Your total is m. Will this be cash, credit or check?
You: cash, or whatever.

If you need to change anything on your order, you should call back within a minute, so the place does not have your pizza started. It is stupid to change your order after you've placed it. I mean, who orders a meat pizza and then decides they want all vegetable? You should know what you want before ordering.

Wait in a place where you will hear the door or the phone. If it rings between when you order and when they say it will be there, answer even if it's blocked or you don't know the #, it might be the driver or the store. They have at least 3 phone #'s and it might be a line that isn't showing up as the # you called.

After you order, turn on your porch light. If you have an obnoxious dog, or a big dog, place the dog somewhere where it will not scare the driver (remember, they don't know your dog) or get out and run, or jump all over the driver, unless you want your food dropped at your door.

Sit the money near the door. Have planned how much you are tipping. If your order is $11.75, and you plan to give the driver $15, give him $15 and tell him to keep the change, or that the rest is for him, etc. Make it clear. If you give him a $20, and want to give him a $3.25 tip, say "I would like $5 back." But the bottom line is MAKE IT CLEAR. And when you say "thank you" and begin to leave the area, transaction is over, what money the driver has, you intended him to keep, so if you leave, make it clear you're going to be back and you're not done."

Use the same standards you would to tip a waitress as a driver. Remember they put a lot of wear and tear on their car, come out in the elements and bring you food that you didn't feel like cooking for yourself or going out to get. Show the love and compensate them accordingly. If the weather's bad, compensate them. And this means, get to the door immediately, don't make them stand outside and wait. If an order's over $10, $3 is minimum. If they have to go out of their way much, give more. If you live on the 10th floor with no elevator and get 3 bags of pizza and 4 2-liters, then you'd better be tipping 25% at least.

For more information, go to www.tipthepizzaguy.com they have lots of great information on ordering and pizza delivery.