Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Films you like with very low Rotten Tomato ratings (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399730)

xxThe_Lebowskixx 05-10-2007 06:38 AM

Films you like with very low Rotten Tomato ratings

The Lover 33%

Suicide Kings 37%

Lord of War 61%

American Pie 60%

KidLifeCrisis 05-10-2007 07:43 AM

Re: Films you like with very low Rotten Tomato ratings

Weird, I can't seem to find Super Mario Brothers on here. Is it because it's really bad? If so, then I pick that.

Big TR 05-10-2007 08:13 AM

Spaceballs - 53%

mbillie1 05-10-2007 08:29 AM

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - 19%

XXXNoahXXX 05-10-2007 08:52 AM

Wow, I think I win this thread so far.

A Night At The Roxbury- 8%

Kirstie Alley 05-10-2007 09:06 AM

Not a good thread idea.

Senor Cardgage 05-10-2007 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lord of War 61%

American Pie 60%

[/ QUOTE ]

Above 60% on the Tomatometer is "fresh". I'd hardly say these two have "very low" ratings.

Surprised that Spaceballs is only at 53%; it's one of my favorite Mel Brooks movies. I didn't check, but maybe there just aren't many reviews up for it.

TomE. 05-10-2007 09:33 AM

I like this topic, it's a good way to get ideas for your Netflix queue.

9 Songs -- 23%
Blind Date -- 18%
A Life Less Ordinary -- 39%

AlexM 05-10-2007 09:50 AM

6X isn't low. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

xxThe_Lebowskixx 05-10-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6X isn't low. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i havent seen many movies that i really like rated lower than 65%.

troymclur 05-10-2007 10:11 AM

Oscar - 14%

Case Closed 05-10-2007 10:19 AM

Greed 25%
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

fuzzwonder 05-10-2007 10:19 AM

Highlander 2: The Quickening - 0%
i win.

XXXNoahXXX 05-10-2007 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i win.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't really like this movie.

fuzzwonder 05-10-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i win.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't really like this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
i saw it as a kid and was impressed with christopher laberts acting ability. i haven't watched it since so i may be inflating its value my head.

Wes Mantooth 05-10-2007 10:34 AM

The Boondock Saints 20%

XXXNoahXXX 05-10-2007 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints 20%

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I bet 90% of people I know enjoyed this movie.

CrazyEyez 05-10-2007 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints 20%

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this so low?

Sooga 05-10-2007 10:43 AM

equilibrium 35%

dumb & dumber 58%

shallow hal 50%

rocky iv 45%

Doug Funnie II 05-10-2007 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I think I win this thread so far.

A Night At The Roxbury- 8%

[/ QUOTE ]

Corky Romano is 5%, but I barely even like that. NATR is great though. Also Ladies Man is 11%. They really hate SNL movies.

Autocratic 05-10-2007 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints 20%

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this so low?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's THAT bad, but I really think this is a highly overrated movie, and critics never really liked it.

Sooga 05-10-2007 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints 20%

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this so low?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's THAT bad, but I really think this is a highly overrated movie, and critics never really liked it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed Boondock Saints, but to me, that movie is the epitome of 'style over substance'.

duvalin 05-10-2007 11:11 AM

where the heart is 37%

natalie prtman was amazing in this movie, it was a little sappy, but not "shallow".

Dids 05-10-2007 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints 20%

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this so low?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's bad. V. bad.

Also the only people that like it don't review moving for a living.

I can't believe Spaceballs is rated so low. I'm going to have to slap some fools.

otnemem 05-10-2007 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints 20%

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this so low?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's a terrible, hacky movie that only people with bad cinematic tastes enjoy. Hence it's enormous "cult" following.

XXXNoahXXX 05-10-2007 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Boondock Saints 20%

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this so low?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's a terrible, hacky movie that only people with bad cinematic tastes enjoy. Hence it's enormous "cult" following.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=popcorn+movie

otnemem 05-10-2007 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think the directors and producers of Boondock Saints intended for it to be a popcorn movie. I love good popcorn movies. This one just happened to be utter [censored].

XXXNoahXXX 05-10-2007 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think the directors and producers of Boondock Saints intended for it to be a popcorn movie. I love good popcorn movies. This one just happened to be utter [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think the producers thought they were crafting the next godfather. nobody is talking about what the producers wanted anyways. you said people that like it have bad cinematic taste. this is wrong. most people like it because its a "good waste of time" and a fun action packed, joke filled movie. aka a popcorn movie.

mbillie1 05-10-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think the producers thought they were crafting the next godfather. nobody is talking about what the producers wanted anyways. you said people that like it have bad cinematic taste. this is wrong. most people like it because its a "good waste of time" and a fun action packed, joke filled movie. aka a popcorn movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, it was entertaining. Not every movie has to be profound and moving to be enjoyable.

otnemem 05-10-2007 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree with pretty much that whole paragraph. Everyone I've ever met who's seen this movie talks about it like it's the best [censored] movie on earth. So a friend and I rented it a few years ago and watched it. We both wanted to murder everyone who ever recommended it. Every aspect of this movie was terrible.

otnemem 05-10-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, it was entertaining. Not every movie has to be profound and moving to be enjoyable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't think anyone's saying that. But movies should be entertaining or interesting. This one just wasn't.

mbillie1 05-10-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone I've ever met who's seen this movie talks about it like it's the best [censored] movie on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, this is such a nit complaint. If you didn't like it you didn't like it. Be more discerning in who you take movie recommendations from if this is such a hot-button issue for you.

otnemem 05-10-2007 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone I've ever met who's seen this movie talks about it like it's the best [censored] movie on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, this is such a nit complaint. If you didn't like it you didn't like it. Be more discerning in who you take movie recommendations from if this is such a hot-button issue for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what you're talking about. I was trying to point out that most people who recommend it don't just think it's a popcorn movie - they think it's the greatest movie on earth.

mbillie1 05-10-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what you're talking about. I was trying to point out that most people who recommend it don't just think it's a popcorn movie - they think it's the greatest movie on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but I hope you realize that the sample of "people you know who say it's the greatest movie on earth" is probably not representative, right? This claim just seems absurd to me.

XXXNoahXXX 05-10-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what you're talking about. I was trying to point out that most people who recommend it don't just think it's a popcorn movie - they think it's the greatest popcorn movie on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

People describe this movie using words like "awesome" and "badass" and "cool". It's not as if people that like this movie go around talking about the excellent camera angles, the masterful screenplay, and the superb acting.

miajag 05-10-2007 11:57 AM

Uh oh. Just got this e-mail:

You have 53 movies in your Queue

The Boondock Saints

Arriving on or around: Thursday, May 10, 2007

Beat?

otnemem 05-10-2007 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what you're talking about. I was trying to point out that most people who recommend it don't just think it's a popcorn movie - they think it's the greatest popcorn movie on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

People describe this movie using words like "awesome" and "badass" and "cool". It's not as if people that like this movie go around talking about the excellent camera angles, the masterful screenplay, and the superb acting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fair enough. In my opinion, though, people who have good taste in movies hate this one.

otnemem 05-10-2007 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, but I hope you realize that the sample of "people you know who say it's the greatest movie on earth" is probably not representative, right? This claim just seems absurd to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea if it's representative. I never took a poll. It's just something that I've encountered. You've never had a lot of people tell you how great a movie is, then you see it and it's beyond terrible?

IggyWH 05-10-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OH NO! How dare peon's actually like this movie. Go back to watching Lumiere and Melies.

mbillie1 05-10-2007 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea if it's representative. I never took a poll. It's just something that I've encountered. You've never had a lot of people tell you how great a movie is, then you see it and it's beyond terrible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure I have, but I don't assume that anyone who likes it think it is the gold standard for cinema. I just think you're being too harsh on it. Lots of movies are mediocre / low content / etc but still entertaining in some circumstances, I think Boondock Saints is one of them. I like everything from "Waking Life" to "Resident Evil" though so my pre-watch range is higher than usual.