Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   MSNBC Front page... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526832)

qh8519a 10-19-2007 08:27 PM

MSNBC Front page...

Scandal made MSNBC front page.....

Claunchy 10-19-2007 08:28 PM

Re: MSNBC Front page...

Yeah, this definitely needed a new thread.

JSmith2007 10-19-2007 08:28 PM

Lurk much?

bsheck 10-19-2007 08:32 PM

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2...bcfrontkh8.jpg

eBo 10-19-2007 08:33 PM

Even though it's cool that the poker community is getting such press, I think it's terrible for the game. This will discourage donks from playing and give more incentive to the government to end our lucrative hobbies.

Teh1337zor 10-19-2007 08:38 PM

omfg this sucks

CITIZEN_114 10-19-2007 08:40 PM

damn, that's one horribly headline right there

Teh1337zor 10-19-2007 08:43 PM

In a case that illustrates the perils of online betting, a leading Internet poker site said Friday that a hacker exploited a security flaw to gain an insurmountable edge in high-stakes, no-limit Texas holdem tournaments — the ability to see his opponents’ hole cards.

omg ruining my otherwise good day

jhill3535 10-19-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a case that illustrates the perils of online betting, a leading Internet poker site said Friday that a hacker exploited a security flaw to gain an insurmountable edge in high-stakes, no-limit Texas holdem tournaments — the ability to see his opponents’ hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy Birthday [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ??????

STA654 10-19-2007 08:44 PM

[censored].

Teh1337zor 10-19-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy Birthday [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ??????

[/ QUOTE ]

hahha

Serge Ravitch, a 27-year-old New York lawyer turned poker player who was among the first to level cheating charges, said the company’s response to the initial posts was “essentially to stonewall and deny any cheating had ever occurred or that the described events were even possible.”

Adanthar 4 mod

ibluffoldladies 10-19-2007 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

Red_Diamond 10-19-2007 08:46 PM

So.... this means that all this hard work, and it really only ended up with 2+2 slandering the name of some innocent CEO from AP. Does this mean 2+2 can get sued for damages?

derosnec 10-19-2007 08:47 PM

amazing at lack of ethics in journalism

they know that the headline can be created honestly (like . . . "how one online poker site was hacked") but they go with the sensationalist approach instead

Dan87 10-19-2007 08:49 PM

this makes me sad

2 years in a row now online poker gets rammed up the ass in october

wonder whats in store for next year

ibluffoldladies 10-19-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this makes me sad

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure, but I bet it involves ass and ram

dibbs 10-19-2007 08:51 PM

Made my stomach turn at first, but it's a million times better than that ABC article title, and in general the writing in this article is far better for the industry as a whole than the other one as well.

I'm really nitty and over worried about this stuff in general, but this article seems as positive as we're hoping for considering, thanks to those P5'ers and 2p2ers who made it so comments about how most of the sites are secure etc got in here.

Really poorly worded quote that I hate from this:
“When they’re always playing the hand that has value in a situation and then folding a great hand when it has value, they can see the cards.”

Or has decent hand reading ability?

Also, too lazy to check if the responders so far were the pushers, but the majority of people on here have been clamoring for MASS MEDIA EXPOSURE! and then say [censored] this is a disaster when it happens.

aislephive 10-19-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So.... this means that all this hard work, and it really only ended up with 2+2 slandering the name of some innocent CEO from AP. Does this mean 2+2 can get sued for damages?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not.

God, what a [censored] up misleading headline. That [censored] needs to be taken down asap.

aislephive 10-19-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Made my stomach turn at first, but it's a million times better than that ABC article title, and in general the writing in this article is far better for the industry as a whole than the other one as well.

I'm really nitty and over worried about this stuff in general, but this article seems as positive as we're hoping for considering, thanks to those P5'ers and 2p2ers who made it so comments about how most of the sites are secure etc got in here.

“When they’re always playing the hand that has value in a situation and then folding a great hand when it has value, they can see the cards.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the word "always."

Dan87 10-19-2007 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think they are referring to how the player would reraise with Q9o when he saw his opponent had pocket 5s, but fold something like A9 in position when one of the blinds has QQ KK or AA

stabn 10-19-2007 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this makes me sad

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest investing in lube.

dibbs 10-19-2007 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate October now, it's super anxious month for me.

whyzze 10-19-2007 09:02 PM

I bet the make an episode of masterminds about this incident.

Teh1337zor 10-19-2007 09:03 PM

I mean I know this is probably terribly written bc I am tired but I hastily composed this email just to try and make something happen.

Dear Mike,

As a member of the poker community, I feel your representation of the scandal casts a dark shadow over poker as a whole and specifically online poker.

" In a case that illustrates the perils of online betting, a leading Internet poker site said Friday that a hacker exploited a security flaw to gain an insurmountable edge in high-stakes, no-limit Texas holdem tournaments — the ability to see his opponents’ hole cards."

I think you should differentiate between betting and poker, which is a game of skill. I also think it is paramount that you also include secure sites like Full Tilt Poker and Pokerstars who uphold integrity at all costs. I think it is very important to distinguish Absolute as a bad apple rather than the norm.

Another element I feel is very important to your story that is missing, is the rallying of the poker community to ensure the integrity of the game. Several people (including Serge Ravitch who you mentioned) worked very hard to expose Absolute and ensure players are playing in a safe and secure environment. These people along with the entire poker community deserve credit for standing for honesty and integrity, something that (thanks to the media) the general public thinks is absent in online poker.

I really think your article unjustly hurts poker's already damaged image. I agree this subject needs to be publicized but I also think it is very important to include the good that has come of this as well as ensure the public that this certainly isn't a normalcy.

dibbs 10-19-2007 09:06 PM

"When a player is showing down the best hand every single time but folding second best but good hands every single time he is beat, the chance he can see the other players cards is incredibly high," or can see the cards, whatever.

"Value" is just way too vague for my taste there, and it feeds fish theories that thin value bets calls and folds are cheating. Like I said though, I'm nitty about this whole thing [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TalkingDonkey 10-19-2007 09:21 PM

yuppppp and we all can thank AP for making online poker illegal like forever

adanthar 10-19-2007 09:22 PM

As I said in the other thread, I worked extensively with Michael Brunner (the reporter) on this article and I'm really happy about the end result. Except for the headline, which reporters don't really have control over, it's as good a job as we could possibly have hoped for and is completely fair to everyone unconnected with AP.

PrayingMantis 10-19-2007 09:25 PM

Sadly, anyone who knows anything about journalism and mass media could have guessed that this story is going to look like this: "online poker is rigged". Those guys, generally speaking, don't really care if it's pokerstars or party or absolute. For the average joe (who is the target of all those annoying headlines) they are all basically the same anyway. Now It's the other sites' job to make the differentiation. The media couldn't care less about it.

members_only 10-19-2007 09:30 PM

From an $11 tourney today:

kweimer: obv
kweimer: gotta win most all of them, actually
kweimer: flips that is
Dealer: Game #12727158186: felpires wins pot (500)
Dealer: The break will start when the current hand finishes
nickjehz: its a art to avoid them
nickjehz: and win it
kweimer: they always seem to come at key moments
kweimer: yes
kweimer: a total ART
nickjehz: i always lose big pots on the river
nickjehz: runner runners
kweimer: well put
bbSi: check the home page at msnbc.com Someone at the table could be seeing your hole cards

Hattifnatt 10-19-2007 09:31 PM

this is the end of online poker the way we know it. Im glad it became public though.

Teh1337zor 10-19-2007 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is the end of online poker the way we know it. Im glad it became public though.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone who knows more about this than me plz tell me otherwise

Teh1337zor 10-19-2007 09:35 PM

lol i am having a panic attack this is sickkkkkkkkkk

adanthar 10-19-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AP has not actually lost any traffic below 5/10 this entire time and if you think online poker is gonna end as a result when UIGEA didn't kill it, you need to stop freaking out

dibbs 10-19-2007 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know more about this than you, but some positive thoughts I try and keep running through my head:

-Don't know about you, but most of the players I love in my games sure as hell don't read msnbc.com, ESPN.com is about as close as they're going to get.

-Rigged rumors have been around forever, if someone doesn't read it directly it will be lost in the murky uncertainess, but they say screw it because gamblers like to gamble.

-Hopefully AP will satisfy people quickly so this is forgotten about as soon as possible.

Teh1337zor 10-19-2007 09:39 PM

ty

PrayingMantis 10-19-2007 09:40 PM

Every minute that passes and the msnbc homepage still looks like that, regardless of the content of the article, represents an exponentially growing disaster for online poker in its current state.

2+2 guys (ad and all) have made an amazing job on this, but the end result could be very sad for us all. And I'm not usually that pessimistic...

I really hope I'm wrong.

Maple Leafs 10-19-2007 09:42 PM

So is the idea that this is actually a rogue employee proving a point a new one? I hadn't seen it in any of the summary threads that I've followed.

wax head 10-19-2007 09:43 PM

I'd be more inclined to say it hasn't hurt poker in it's current state, but it may be carving your UIGEA in stone.

Next drama bomb: Bill Frist alias Scott Tom!

please.muck 10-19-2007 09:43 PM

now we are going to have 60 old guys with shorts and sandals with socks that limp/call every hand who are telling their ugly wives and stupid kids "I told you online poker was RIGGED!"

Gus Spangles 10-19-2007 09:44 PM

and slashdotted