Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Official MTT COACHING thread. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513611)

Bond18 10-02-2007 01:05 AM

Official MTT COACHING thread.

Alright so there has been a lot of occasional posts and people IMing me with questions about where they can receive coaching. We’ve done a number of small and incomplete threads on this subject before, but it seems like the information eventually gets lost or forgotten.

So here’s what well do in this thread, everyone who wants to be coached, and wants to coach can come together and list off what their looking for. When it starts to die down I’ll talk to Jurollo or Badger about taking the list of guys doing coaching and their information and putting it in one of the MTTc/HSMTT/SSMTT sticky’s, whichever would be most appropriate for it.

For people who want to coach, please tell us about:

1. What you offer in terms of services.
2. How much it costs.
3. Why you’re qualified to coach.
4. Anything additional we should know about you, other details, or anything the previous questions didn’t cover.

For people who want to be coached tell us about:

1. What you’re looking for in terms of services.
2. What your price range is.
3. What kind of limits you normally play.
4. What you're hoping to get/accomplish out of coaching.
5. Any additional details the previous questions didn’t cover.

Can anyone think of anything I’m missing with regards to this post? If so I’ll go back and edit it. Otherwise, list away guys.

plzleenowhammy 10-02-2007 01:44 AM

Re: Official MTT COACHING thread.

Do I need a coach for run good and a separate coach for win flips or is there some beast out there who can coach me at both?

smartalecc5 10-02-2007 01:53 AM

Can I get an amen.

funkymunky 10-02-2007 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need a coach for run good and a separate coach for win flips or is there some beast out there who can coach me at both?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some beast = Vanessa Rousso/Chad Brown

skier_5 10-02-2007 02:42 AM

posting price ranges may lead to people getting overcharged, but who knows.

mastr 10-02-2007 03:26 AM

I agree with above post, and am also available for coaching

cobrakai111 10-02-2007 03:30 AM

I'm hoping you guys try so hard to undercut each other I can get someone for like $2 an hour.

Bond18 10-02-2007 03:45 AM

K if we want, we can edit out the price range part.

Butcho22 10-02-2007 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha

mastr 10-02-2007 04:02 AM

meh I'll pretend this thread is serious and post reasons why y'all should come to me for your service.

I'll basically offer anything including going over HH's of full tourneys as well as showing tourneys from my perspective and explain the thoguht processes behind the actions etc etc, anything is acceptable for your time.

I'm qualified because I'm awesome and do well consistently with v solid #ers etc etc.

Seriously though, I doubt a thread like this is the way to go about it, because if anyone actually wants a coach I feel they should get to know the person at least. Shoot me a PM if you're actually interested and we can talk about it for realz

Ansky 10-02-2007 04:42 AM

I have too many students already, but if I lose some and can pick up a couple more I figure I may as well write all this out now.

[ QUOTE ]

2. How much it costs.
4. Anything additional we should know about you, other details, or anything the previous questions didn’t cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Sweating, or looking over hh's I guess.

2. 300/hr if you book 5 sessions, 350 if you go by the sess.

3. Long history of tournament success bla bla bla.

LearnedfromTV 10-02-2007 04:44 AM

I've been thinking about getting into coaching and this thread looks like a good opportunity to get my name out there. Thanks Bond.

I will do aim sessions, sweating, full hh reviews, email exchanges, focused hh studies (i.e. we focus on a certain kind of situation, you find a bunch of hands of that type, we discuss). I'm flexible as to the form, whatever works best for the student.

My strengths are versatility (I don't have monster mtt results, but I am a consistent winner across the board - midstakes mtts, nl cash, stts, and most of the non-holdem games) and a strong theoretic foundation. I understand the "big picture" very well and am good at explaining in detail why the correct move is correct. I also have teaching and coaching experience (math, history, basketball) and would really enjoy teaching poker. The best evidence of my qualifications or lack thereof is in my posts; I've made quite a few long ones over the past couple years.

The ideal student for me would be someone

-whose learning style is top-down theory-to-practice, the kind of person who starts with Theory of Poker and develops situational reasoning from there, instead of starting with starting hand charts and then looking for exceptions

- who plays or would like to play cash games as well as mtts. (if you want to play other games, even better)

- who wants to commit to a lot of lessons (assuming the first couple go well).

I'll leave price out of the post, but from what I know of others' prices, I think you'll find mine reasonable, especially if you want multiple lessons.

pm if interested.

Ansky 10-02-2007 04:47 AM

LFT,

You had me at hello.

LearnedfromTV 10-02-2007 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LFT,

You had me at hello.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you can afford me.

mlagoo 10-02-2007 04:54 AM

lftv is like the mdma of MTTs. he might not put in a lot of volume but he knows his stuff.

cobrakai111 10-02-2007 04:56 AM

LFT, my team is down 2 with 8 seconds left inbounding from the half court line. What play are you drawing up?

LearnedfromTV 10-02-2007 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LFT, my team is down 2 with 8 seconds left inbounding from the half court line. What play are you drawing up?

[/ QUOTE ]

doublescreen for the guy who can shoot, second screener rolls to the basket.

God damn I miss basketball. Went from every day for twelve years to twice a week with old dudes.

aaronbeen 10-02-2007 06:07 AM

I can watch your sessions, answer questions of AIM/gtalk/phone, or review hand histores. I'm also interested in helping people prepare for larger live tournaments like WPT/EPT/WSOP.
2. How much it costs.
$175/hr or a % if you want coaching deep in a tournament. Rates WILL go up in a couple months when I have more coaching experience.
I've made several hundred k playing online MTTs without luckboxing any Sunday millions. I have a very good shorthanded/closing track record. I also have experience with shorthanded nl cash games and live tournaments (mostly WPTs) so I think I'm a fairly well rounded player. I have a pretty strong math background but most of the analysis I teach isn't numeric. I also think I'm a very coherent explainer/writer (check out my Cardrunners videos or my columns in Bluff).
I've gotten a lot of interest in coaching before but I was busy with the WCOOP and no one really followed up with me either. If my correspondence with you lapsed feel free to email me again. I'm interested in only a couple serious students who are willing to invest a lot of time. I have successfully taught people to play like me before and I think coaching can be a rewarding experience for both of us. You can contact me via PM or email (aaron.been@gmail.com). Oh and I'm more than 7/12th as good as Ansky!

PsYcOsNiPeR 10-02-2007 08:23 AM

So I take it there aren't any coaches out there that coach just to have the pleasure of watching a student come along? Or coaching because they love to coach and it makes them feel good inside?

jtown1010 10-02-2007 08:26 AM

probably none that are worth learning from.

betgo 10-02-2007 08:30 AM

I was thinking of getting a coach to go over my HHs and such, but given the rates presented here, it would be awfully expensive to get someone who is a significantly better player than me to coach. Someone like Negreanu would probably be over $1000/hour.

Bakes 10-02-2007 09:00 AM

300/hr sounds pretty ridiculously out of control for MTT coaching. if you want to exchange hh with me or go over [censored] for frizzle (read : free) just PM me for my AIM

plzleenowhammy 10-02-2007 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
300/hr sounds pretty ridiculously out of control for MTT coaching. if you want to exchange hh with me or go over [censored] for frizzle (read : free) just PM me for my AIM

[/ QUOTE ]

i just creamed my panties.

Dawg24 10-02-2007 09:13 AM

OK...I will give this a shot...

I have been wanting a coach for some time now...

I have been playing part time for 1+ year...I won a seat to the WSOP for $27 on my first try and played in the event...got all in with AKhh on a A 10h 9h board to lose to AQ when the turn and river were Qc Qs....weeeeeeee....

I have played 20-25 live tourneys and mostly $30 and up online tourneys. Not a whole lot of success I fell because I play too straight forward or if I bluff I bluff it the whole way into a station. I play hardly no cash but would like to play more.

want to learn to recognize resteal opportunities and exploiting the bubble...

if someone is local to Atlanta or Athens that would be ideal...but not a requirement. I do watch all the PXF videos and feel that has made a huge improvement.

I am successful in life so bankroll is whatever I can get from my wife [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (brag or beat?)

PM me if interested...

shaundeeb 10-02-2007 09:45 AM

I enjoy coaching a lot did it a bit in the past many of my students had immediate success. I have done ghosting as well as you ghosting me. I tend to do this only at beginning and end of sessions so you won't have to worry about me playing 20 tables while discussing thought process with you. I will show you how to give yourself the best opportunity to win every final table you enter. I will review HHs but I kind of prefer not to do that as I feel like you learn the least from that. During a live sweating session I can form my own reads and expand on them to you on what you should of picked up. Flow is too hard to comprehend in a text form.
2. How much it costs.
$75 an hour if you get over 4 hours 100$ for less then 4 hours
If you even have to ask...
I am very good at getting people to increase volume and to understand why it's soo good. I have a redic mtt record at mid to low levels. I have more tourney experience then anyone else. I def think and play different then anyone else your game will change for sure after a few sessions.
As a student you may become a wafflecrusher after the sessions if I like your new game.

black666 10-02-2007 09:49 AM

no offense, but...

Whoever can pay $200-$300 per hour probably has already made enough money from poker that he or she doesn't need the coaching (unless he or she wants to make even more money) - it's not like you need only 1 hour and that's it.

I understand that you guys can make more money multitabling MTTs than coaching for < $100/h ... but where does the $300 value come from that this forum or a pxf subscriptions can't provide?
If I post a trouble hand in this forum, I not only get answers from the guys who are available for coaching but also multiple others.

I'd love to get a coach myself .. but not at those rates. Anyone ever thought of accepting a % of the winnings from a specified period of time (or number of tournaments) as payment?

shaundeeb 10-02-2007 09:55 AM

black trust me getting proper coaching from one of these guys will help you 10000% times more then a pxf account.

plzleenowhammy 10-02-2007 09:55 AM

[x] wafflecoaching

plzleenowhammy 10-02-2007 09:57 AM

deeb is a really good value if he teaches you his sweet folding technique.

p.s. do something cool for your 8888 post

djk123 10-02-2007 10:00 AM

will coach people on how to win races late and make aggressive bets

ASPoker8 10-02-2007 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sign me up if this also includes aggressive calls

betgo 10-02-2007 10:05 AM

If you don't have significant poker winning to pay for the coaching with, you probably don't need to hire a coach who charges over $100/hour.

djk123 10-02-2007 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sign me up if this also includes aggressive calls

[/ QUOTE ]

oh it includes VERY aggressive calls

NoahSD 10-02-2007 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. How much it costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I coach both MTTs and cash. I'll sweat you or review hand histories. Some people have asked to sweat me, which is also fine.

2) 200/hour. I do a 100/hour firs session so we can both decide if we think 200/hour is worth it for you. I won't coach you if I think you'd be better off with a cheaper coach or no coach.

3) I know how to play poker well, and I explain it well.

mlagoo 10-02-2007 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
deeb is a really good value if he teaches you his sweet folding technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol qft

shaundeeb 10-02-2007 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

psh why pick you for that with me available?

djk123 10-02-2007 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

psh why pick you for that with me available?

[/ QUOTE ]

i 5 bet all in with 35o in the 2nd chance wcoop me just so that i cud say i've 5 bet bluffed!! (clayton can second this)

Sherman 10-02-2007 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I take it there aren't any coaches out there that coach just to have the pleasure of watching a student come along? Or coaching because they love to coach and it makes them feel good inside?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do that every freaking day in SSMTT. WTF.

FGators 10-02-2007 10:40 AM

I agree that if a guy wants to be coached up on 180s and $33 tournaments it's ridiculous that he should be paying $300 an hour.

DonkeyChip 10-02-2007 10:46 AM

Seeing mostly the coaches perspective covered in the responses. I am certainly not qualified to coach and would like to be coached...I like to think I'd be a good student.

Anyway:
[ QUOTE ]
For people who want to be coached tell us about:

1. What you’re looking for in terms of services.
2. What your price range is.
3. What kind of limits you normally play.
4. What you're hoping to get/accomplish out of coaching.
5. Any additional details the previous questions didn’t cover.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Probably sweating me and letting me sweat you but I'm not really sure (I am the student) . I don't know what 'ghosting' is. Reading/commenting on HHs would probably be helpful too but it's not 'in the moment' enough. Additionally, if I sweat you or you sweat me...I still should review the HH for myself at least once...right? I like LFT's theory-first approach.

2. A pretty good job pays what...$30/hr? Some of the rates mentioned so far are quite high...for what some are charging for one hour I could buy 10 books. Not to mention that coaching is different from playing...some of the best players make some of the worst coaches. If you're charging a lot...it should be because you have a successful, proven track record as a coach, not just because you have been a successful player.

3. I play extremely low limits. I took almost everything out just before Neteller pulled out and lost most of what was left trying to qualify for the WSOP. I don't want to deposit any so I'm just grinding the tiny bit I have left online. Trying to build it up has been very slow going.

4. Post-flop play and increasing my aggressiveness. Also short-handed play (but that was pretty much covered with the 'post-flop play' and 'aggressiveness' wasn't it?).

5. Would how 'advanced' the student was affect the rate? Is it any easier/harder to teach a rookie starting hand ranges relative to position and table dynamics...or to teach a more experienced player the finer points of value betting?

I would love to be coached but most of the rates I've seen here just make it too cost prohibitive. Also, having never done it I don't know how much one gets out of 'one hour of online poker coaching'. One SnG victory usually takes more than one hour and an MTT takes several even if it's a non-rebuy turbo.