Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   assassin's Creed (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=544464)

Jazzy3113 11-12-2007 05:05 PM

assassin\'s Creed

Is there an official thread on this?

I was all set to get CoD 4, and then saw a new commercial for this. Wow it looks great, Im gonna pass on CoD4 as I already have Halo3 and they are both shooters.

Some reviews online said its like you can just walk around in a huge city a la GTA.

The only drawback is that it has no multiplayer. Who know why not, cause walking around in a huge multiplayer city killing people would never get old. For this reason, it may be a week rental as opposed to a buy but ima get it anywayz.

Khaos4k 11-12-2007 07:11 PM

Re: assassin\'s Creed

By the sounds of it you won't be getting any linear missions. The style is more of a "kill this person. you figure out how". So you'll be getting info from citizens and clues and such. Very original concept that I hope can be pulled off. Guess we'll figure out in a couple days.

DrNo888 11-12-2007 08:53 PM

On sale at Fry's for $40 on Thursday.
YMMV depending on if local Fry's does the sale or not.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/a...1704&type=

MrBlueNose 11-12-2007 09:56 PM

Everything I'm reading from people that have the game is it's incredible repetitive and not that good in general, and to rent not buy.

Dudd 11-12-2007 10:35 PM

That's what I'm reading too, doesn't sound that great. Bunch of impressions here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthr...p;pagenumber=15

RiverFenix 11-12-2007 11:31 PM

I think the game looks amazing from the demos. I dont mind a lot of repetition but I wont be dropping cash on another game w/ 10 hours of playtime for a while I think.

dibbs 11-13-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm reading too, doesn't sound that great. Bunch of impressions here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthr...p;pagenumber=15

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammmmit I have been looking forward to this game for like two years now [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Ill Gamefly it instead I spose.

ThaSaltCracka 11-13-2007 12:07 AM

TBH, I saw the promo's during South Park last week and I thought the game looked mad lame.

reo 11-13-2007 12:11 AM

I thought the game would be like Thief. I guess I was wrong . . .

I'll check out the previews / reviews later . . .

4 High 11-13-2007 12:18 AM

Is there a demo on Live or on PS3?

wonderwes 11-13-2007 12:32 AM

I am picking up this now. Can't wait to play it.

I am surprised that many of you just don't invest in Gamefly. I rent two games for monthly rate, return them whenever.

There is no PS3 demo out.

TruFloridaGator 11-13-2007 01:41 AM

Reviews sound amazing. Post a review if you got it, not sure which way I'm going to go on this, 360 or PS3.

Dire 11-13-2007 02:09 AM

Was reading user impressions on somethingawful. Seems like alot of people are complaining that the game is rediculously easy, lacks difficulty settings and is incredibly repetitive to top it off.

Official reviews are released tonight at 3am. I'm probably going to pass on this one unless the official reviews are just amazing.

DirtyDiggs 11-13-2007 12:05 PM

Sorry to hijack, but how likely are you to be able to get a game within a few days of launch?

AceLuby 11-13-2007 12:39 PM

Reviews have been trickling and they look good on both systems. The ones I saw were 4.9/5, 5/5, 4.5/5, 9.5/10 for both systems.

Does anyone know how long this game is? I don't want to drop $60 for a 10 hr single player game...

RE: getting a game for launch

Pretty likely if you go to the right places. Go to places w/ lots of stock, but not necessarily for games, I would check Target, K-Mart, Wal-Mart and Toys r Us to start.

fiskebent 11-13-2007 12:52 PM

Opinions seem to be all over the place with Assassins Creed. It got raving previews but I've also read some dissapointing ones. And most of the very few reviews so far are glowing. But 1up has only given it 7/10.

I'll wait a bit and see how things go. I'm not exactly starving for new games at the moment either...

PITTM 11-13-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TBH, I saw the promo's during South Park last week and I thought the game looked mad lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. passing up COD4(GOY imo) for this is just insane.

Dudd 11-13-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opinions seem to be all over the place with Assassins Creed. It got raving previews but I've also read some dissapointing ones. And most of the very few reviews so far are glowing. But 1up has only given it 7/10.

I'll wait a bit and see how things go. I'm not exactly starving for new games at the moment either...

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal favorite was a video review at gametrailers. They thought the combat was boring, every assassination was the same, and it was really repetitive. Yet, they still gave it a 9.1. Coupled with the mediocre impressions from people who actually own the game, and unless the tone really changes, this game just looks ridiculously overhyped.

ThaSaltCracka 11-13-2007 02:13 PM

any game about an assasin or a ninja is always overhyped by video game dorks because the find those two character types so cool.

vulturesrow 11-13-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any game about an assasin or a ninja is always overhyped by video game dorks because the find those two character types so cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that means you'll be buying it asap I assume? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dire 11-13-2007 03:03 PM

Every review seems to be like: "It's a great game. The combat and gameplay does get repetitious with some pretty dumb enemies and you can just run away from everything if you want. Oh, and stealth which the game is supposed to be built around is pretty much useless. But it's a great game. 9/10."

I don't really get that. And I won't be getting this.

dibbs 11-13-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really get that. And I won't be getting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either they are that blown away by the atmosphere and feel of the game I guess, or its Jade Empire syndrome and they simply can't be honest with a forever hyped game from a powerhouse developer. Weird stuff though.

Dire 11-13-2007 03:26 PM

Oh okay. More reviews are coming.

IGN video review: one of the top 5 most disappointing games of all time

7/10 from gamespy

7/10 from eurogamer

And those 7/10 seem high given what they say. The Eurogamer review basically concludes it's like Crackdown but worse in every single way. Yeah, I can definitely pass.

Dudd 11-13-2007 03:29 PM

Good AI too.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8025/aclol2gy5.gif

dibbs 11-13-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good AI too.

http://img.waffleimages.com/299d134d...19b/aclol2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things I "don't get," here you have Ubisoft, a company that knows so much about good games and has a massive team, but somehow AI this blatantly terrible, makes it to a final cut of the game. I just don't get how no one on that gigantic team said "wait this is stupid." Blah.

zyrrth 11-13-2007 03:50 PM

gonna test it first. a+ move from ubisoft to not put a demo out.

Dudd 11-13-2007 03:51 PM

I'm sure it was something they planned on fixing after they got the climbing and the crowd interactions done, but suddenly it's the holiday season and corporate wants it shipped in a month, and so there's nothing they can do besides polish it up and hope for the best.

Supersonic 11-13-2007 03:58 PM

IGN written review is up, it scored a 7.7.

Wow this sucks, this game looked so awesome.

ThaSaltCracka 11-13-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So that means you'll be buying it asap I assume? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]you should know that my Halo Style is one of a bruiser. I don't pussyfoot around!

Dire 11-13-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good AI too.

http://img.waffleimages.com/299d134d...19b/aclol2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things I "don't get," here you have Ubisoft, a company that knows so much about good games and has a massive team, but somehow AI this blatantly terrible, makes it to a final cut of the game. I just don't get how no one on that gigantic team said "wait this is stupid." Blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

[rant]

It seems many executive/production types, and even the 'creative' talent behind games are envisioning games as little more than an expansion of 'story telling' and role playing (in the sense of just simply playing a role - not an RPG). Even Disney is interested in hopping on the gaming boat. This is leading to games where 'story', 'role' and 'appearance' become primary - and having a game that is actually fun to play is an increasingly distant secondary concern. Assassin's Creed seems to be a perfect example of this. They have the role, appearance and story down. The production team was particularly proud of the historical accuracy of the cities and the fact that all the targets are real people that all died/disappeared in the same year. It looks great and it sounds awesome. Is it fun to play? Who cares!

And Jade Raymond. You have somebody who has no significant experience taking on a the role of head producer on what was supposed to be a huge/innovative game. Gee, I wonder what got her there. Her sound qualifications and skills, or might it be her more superifical traits? Can't imagine. Such a shocker the game turns out to be superficial but pretty. I am not at all misogynistic, but the issue is a lack of qualified or misguided production/executive teams who are ultimately responsible for how a game turns out. She, and this game, seem to be a perfect example of what can happen.

On the other hand, maybe they had it right all along. After all, there's almost no doubt this game sells 2mil+ copies.

[/rant]

vulturesrow 11-13-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]you should know that my Halo Style is one of a bruiser. I don't pussyfoot around!

[/ QUOTE ]

I just was pointing out that you are a huge dork who likes ninjas and assassins. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MrBlue 11-13-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched this and the review is pretty harsh.

Paraphrasing

"... this is a game you may want to rent for a weekend. You'll only want to play once and may not even want to finish it."

I was really looking forward to this game since last year, but will probably pass and just pick up COD4 and Rock Band.

vulturesrow 11-13-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched this and the review is pretty harsh.

Paraphrasing

"... this is a game you may want to rent for a weekend. You'll only want to play once and may not even want to finish it."

I was really looking forward to this game since last year, but will probably pass and just pick up COD4 and Rock Band.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget Mass Effect!

AceLuby 11-13-2007 04:23 PM

I think I need to check this out for myself. Personally I loved Prince of Persia, and the similarities look good IMO. The three PS3 reviews I read (Yahoo games, Game Informer Online, and Games Radar) had it at 4.5/5 or better. The 360 reviews have been more mixed from a 5/5 at gamepro, to the mid 7's low 8's posted above. Definitely think this is going to be more of a niche game than previously thought. Probably going to buy it still...

AceLuby 11-13-2007 04:26 PM

Has anyone here even played it yet?

Dire 11-13-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I need to check this out for myself. Personally I loved Prince of Persia, and the similarities look good IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'free running' has been compared to Crackdown's open style much more than the puzzle based style free running of Prince of Persia. A plus or minus depending on how you look at it.

AceLuby 11-13-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I need to check this out for myself. Personally I loved Prince of Persia, and the similarities look good IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'free running' has been compared to Crackdown's open style much more than the puzzle based style free running of Prince of Persia. A plus or minus depending on how you look at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That being said, and the fact that this is being compared heavily to Crackdown, I think I will enjoy this game more since I never got a chance to get my hands on Crackdown.

ThaSaltCracka 11-13-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just was pointing out that you are a huge dork who likes ninjas and assassins. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]naw man, that ain't me. I like Aliens, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, and various other creatures from Imaginationland.

BTW, COD4 rules and I am sure Mass Effect will as well. I don't see any reason to buy this game.

Corpsebean 11-13-2007 06:40 PM

God I can't believe this is getting lame reviews. I thought this was surefire hotness.

kabouter 11-13-2007 07:20 PM

Just played it, and I kind of like it so far. If I had to rank CoD4, AC and Mass effect it would be like this though:

1. Mass Effect (I don't really know what to do yet but from what I've played so far this game is a hit)
2. CoD 4
3. Assassin's Creed, couple of bugs, and simply feels a bit rushed.