Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   A cell pone feature that isn't (yet anyways) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=408093)

Stu Pidasso 05-20-2007 11:47 PM

A cell pone feature that isn\'t (yet anyways)

What would you like your cell phone to do that it currently doesn't?

I'd like mine to work as a universal remote.

Stu

4 High 05-20-2007 11:48 PM

Re: A cell pone feature that isn\'t (yet anyways)

I saw a universal remote shaped like a Cell Phone if that makes you feel better.

cbloom 05-20-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is genius or retarded.

Personally I'd like mine to just be a half decent telephone that didn't constantly run out of batteries, have awful reception, run out of voicemail space, and other [censored] that should've been fixed in the 19th century.

catalyst 05-20-2007 11:53 PM

gps navigation (this might already be a feature in some though..)

Misfire 05-20-2007 11:53 PM

I'd like mine to tell people to quit calling me.

edfurlong 05-20-2007 11:57 PM

Swiss army knife.

djj6835 05-21-2007 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gps navigation (this might already be a feature in some though..)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is.

manpower 05-21-2007 12:14 AM

I don't really care for too much functionality in my phone besides the standard features. I'd love a super small, super comfortable in the pocket model though.

Also for those not in the know, a strong, easily accessible LED flashlight on your phone is seriously the most useful thing ever.

h_ven 05-21-2007 12:16 AM

One that doesn't brake or get lost.

Oh ya, and machine washable, too.

TrueGrinder 05-21-2007 12:19 AM

I think it will be cool when they develop some mobile-commerce functionality on phones - even just for small purchases. The three things people never leave home without are their keys, wallet, and cell phone. Asia already has phones that use NFC (near field communication) to pay for vending machine items, subway fares, etc.

pergesu 05-21-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is genius or retarded.

Personally I'd like mine to just be a half decent telephone that didn't constantly run out of batteries, have awful reception, run out of voicemail space, and other [censored] that should've been fixed in the 19th century.

[/ QUOTE ]
They had cell phones in the 19th century?

pergesu 05-21-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it will be cool when they develop some mobile-commerce functionality on phones - even just for small purchases. The three things people never leave home without are their keys, wallet, and cell phone. Asia already has phones that use NFC (near field communication) to pay for vending machine items, subway fares, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think it'd be tight if cell phones could incorporate all three things. Cars have keyless starters on them now...maybe my phone could unlock my car when I get close enough, and allow me to start up the car. And then you should be able to pay through your cell.

I'd be way happy if my cell phone acted as a key and a debit card.

Lonhro 05-21-2007 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One that doesn't brake or get lost.

Oh ya, and machine washable, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is it going, and why haven't you taken the brakes off then?

mmbt0ne 05-21-2007 01:41 AM

I would love to be able to have 2 sim cards in a single phone so that i would never have to carry a work phone and a home phone.

kyleb 05-21-2007 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to be able to have 2 sim cards in a single phone so that i would never have to carry a work phone and a home phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant.

death_blooms 05-21-2007 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some phones have options to have more than one line ran into them, I know my old RAZR did.

FCBLComish 05-21-2007 01:45 AM

I would like one that is impossible to lose.

Penultimate 05-21-2007 01:55 AM

One that works is all I ask

dlong226 05-21-2007 01:58 AM

I would like a phone that allowed me to screen specific phone numbers, so when my parents call, my answering machine automatically comes on.

Also a phone that had specific times where it would automatically turn off, so when I'm in class, it won't go off.

I also would like a phone where if you call it from a different phone and entered a specific phone, it would release a sound similar to a fire alarm so when I lose it, I can find it much more easily.

IlliniLou 05-21-2007 02:01 AM

one that reads peoples minds

TheRover 05-21-2007 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also would like a phone where if you call it from a different phone and entered a specific phone, it would release a sound similar to a fire alarm so when I lose it, I can find it much more easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is brilliant.

schwza 05-21-2007 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like a phone that allowed me to screen specific phone numbers, so when my parents call, my answering machine automatically comes on.

Also a phone that had specific times where it would automatically turn off, so when I'm in class, it won't go off.

[/ QUOTE ]

all of these are really good. i also want a flashlight.

rutang 05-21-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

these are all good ideas. the third especially, it should automatically overcome silent mode/ etc and make the loudest ring possible. it would also be sweet if you could make it turn on from the phone, and have the phone save a little bit of energy for this feature.

Other ideas that would be sweet:

an easy to activate 2 hr ringer pause, so you don't forget to "unsilent" your phone after a movie, and miss important calls.

a ringer that gets louder or activates vibrate functions when the decibel level around you is very high.

a feature that lets you activate a "i'm on another call right now" message instead of your usual mailbox message when you are on the other line.

dlong226 05-21-2007 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a feature that lets you activate a "i'm on another call right now" message instead of your usual mailbox message when you are on the other line.

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend had a nokia that did this.

cardsharkk04 05-21-2007 04:49 AM

One that also functions as a Gigapet

NevadaKaz 05-21-2007 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sony Ericcsons have this option.

Also for all those wanting a flshlight, Nokia have a phone with a bright flashlight, as do Sony Ericcson, although the nokia flashlight is better.

FlyWf 05-21-2007 07:11 AM

We'll get some form of wireless commerce in the next year or so, right now the wireless providers are fighting the banks over the fees. They'll sort that out soon enough.

mrkilla 05-21-2007 07:59 AM

I'd liek mine just to [censored] work when I want it to and not drop calls at the worst times ever.

lvalntin99 05-21-2007 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I hope every one of my friends get this feature and I guarantee I will find out the code. Sounds like great fun for 4 am wake up calls and to get their attention during class.

David H 05-21-2007 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My mom's phone could be programmed to always go into silent at a certain time, and then change back to Loud when you wanted. Cool feature, but I don't think she ever got it to work right.

mason55 05-21-2007 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a Windows Mobile/Palm Pilot type phone you can already do this and have been able to for quite some time. In fact most phones have IR ports and I wouldn't be surprised if you could turn almost any cell into a universal remote.

[Phill] 05-21-2007 08:51 AM

Tiny implants where your thumb can be a speaker and your pinky finger a microphone.

daryn 05-21-2007 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tiny implants where your thumb can be a speaker and your pinky finger a microphone.

[/ QUOTE ]

now we're getting somewhere

delta k 05-21-2007 09:27 AM

microwave or refrigerator.

zomg 05-21-2007 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw at a local market a battery that had spots for two sim cards one of my friends bought it and you dont put the sim card in the back of the phone you put both in the battery then you push a special code in the phone (eg. *100#) at it would switch sim cards..

I have no idea how it worked [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

jws43yale 05-21-2007 10:44 AM

I have always been a fan of simpler cell phones. If I want a ton of features, I will get a Blackberry or something. Personally, I wish I could get the smallest phone possible with good battery life and basic features. Phone book, calendar, flip phone with two screens. No camera, no speakerphone, no ringtones or music player. It just bothers me that no phone like this exists, every manufacturer has any full featured phone you want, but no small, lightweight minamally featured phones.

Dual simcard phone I know was released, but may not be available in the US. I remember it being directed at international travelers. Here is one I found: http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/dualsim/dualsimcovers.htm.

[Phill] 05-21-2007 10:54 AM

Yeah, like jws i simply dont use most of the features of my mobile.

I dont take pics unless its something exceptional, so the camera is rarely used, ive used the video function once just to try it and its really rare for me to use it for gaming (ive only one crappy game and no motivation for more) - the only things i do is talk, text occassionally use the notes and calendar function and use the MP3.

Next phone will likely have zero features and ill invest in some small MP3 player like the Ipod shuffle and just carry one 'extra' gadget.

sonneti 05-21-2007 11:39 AM

A built in tazer would be class..

DarrenX 05-21-2007 12:08 PM

How about a way to have the caller specify the urgency of the call- one ringtone for a "just calling to chat" call, and one for urgent matters.

oddjob 05-21-2007 12:21 PM

i'd like my phone to be able to blow up phones used by idiots while they're driving.