Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Some Stuff About PUA (very long) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=472602)

Anacardo 08-08-2007 04:07 PM

Some Stuff About PUA (very long)

I've been thinking a lot about questions of social self-management, image control, and the mindset those things imply recently. Whenever I cruise OOT those thoughts usually find a natural place of focus in whatever PUA debate thread happens to be going at the moment. As has been pointed out by many others, these threads tend to quickly organize themselves into a repeated pattern: the critics (either 'authentic' or 'nerds' depending on your perspective) against the apologists ('alpha males' or 'douche cookies,' again depending on one's point of view.) These arguments tend to be highly partisan and generally never resolve anything.

I would like to say that I'm gonna get past all that and break down the debate from a more objective, detached perspective, but if I did I'd be full of [censored] because that isn't really possible. Every time I read one of these threads I start to feel ill, in a disgusted-yet-keyed-up way that I find difficult to describe or explain. My native sympathies absolutely lie with the nerdy critics, and my gut is very vocal about telling me so. In matters like this, questions of elemental things like sex, social status, relationships, emotion, etc. etc. etc., I very much doubt there are any genuine neutrals. We are all of us prisoners of the flesh when it comes to this sort of thing; slaves to our own histories, experiences, conceptions, basic personalities. Silly to pretend otherwise.

Since I really have only my own perspective, I'll try to break that down and see where it goes. Why do I react with strong instinctive revulsion to the PUA position - which we will define, in very simple terms, as "sell yourself to women, project a successful image, control the terms of engagement, and get what you want from them." (If this is an inaccurate synopsis then I suppose this whole process has already failed, but I believe that to be a reasonable succinct summary.) I would guess that, as with most strong emotional reactions, there's a complex mix of motivators working here.

First and foremost are the factors that will be most quickly pointed out and argued for by the PUA apologists - spite, jealousy, the desire to somehow justify a 'failed' strategy, and a generalized inferiority complex. It is highly likely that every psychological response I just listed, as well as many unmentioned others, play a significant role here. Next month I will be twenty-five years old. I do not yet need my other set of fingers to count up my lifetime total of sexual partners. I have never had a real relationship of any mutual emotional significance. To the former I am fairly indifferent, but the latter bothers me a great deal. Insofar as I do not have what I want, and have no reason to believe that it is on the horizon, I must consider myself a failure in this regard. PUAs by titular definition get what they want as a matter of course. The 'hater' mentality - anger, jealousy, contempt, the desire to explain away the success of others and justify one's own shortcomings - is a natural psychological outgrowth of these circumstances, and to pretend otherwise is simply dishonest. So you've got me, and by extension 'us,' there, PUAs.

On the other hand, as the other side would be quick to point out, the list of valid objections doesn't stop at the mere desire to cling to a sinking ship and refuse to change for the better / become good at something. There are numerous valid philosophical objections which are usually excused / explained away just as the nerd-critics excuse away their own shortcomings.

If PUA was, as one poster described it, merely about becoming a funny, unique, interesting person who commands attention, pushes boundaries and stands out, then I respectfully suggest that I should be teaching these courses. I am unquestionably all these things and I am not a pickup artist. PUA is unquestionably about salesmanship and about power politics. There is a variety of well-discussed concepts that point directly to this - 'neg hits' or backhanded compliments; controlling the terms of engagement in terms of time, circumstance, who offers what, etc; making sure you always have options and can't be 'walked all over'; endless preprogrammed lines / routines; so on and so forth. Stay in the driver's seat, and present the right image for long enough to get what you want. Very modern, very 'realistic,' but undeniably manipulative and insincere, even to the extent that you come to adopt these sorts of tactics as part of your personality. I personally detest facades and have very little patience for fake or self-delusional behavior; I state this merely as a point of preference.

In my own limited experience with casual sex and one-night stands, the great majority of women want sexual encounters to lead somewhere, the great majority of the time. I have had in my life one purely sexual, no-strings-attached arrangement with a girl, and she was, in spite of other, more positive qualities, still exactly the sort of fairly dim, slutty chick that is typecast for the role. My other sexual encounters / relationships have ended in standard hurt feelings and guilt and disappointment and 'hating myself in the morning.' I very much doubt the experiences of PUA-ers are all that different - you just post about them with transparent explanations like 'they knew what was going on,' 'their unrealistic expectations aren't my problem,' 'they got too attached,' et cetera. Perhaps these things are strictly true - the sort of women who get attached to guys who seduce them and keep walking, rather than just rolling their eyes and moving on, probably tend towards neurosis, weakness, and stupidity, and those are their problems and no-one else's. That still doesn't mean it's good to be a catalyst for someone else's issues if you can avoid it, for one; and for the other, to [censored] them in the first place, you at some point consciously planted the seed of the idea that [censored] you could maybe lead to a relationship, since that's basically what it takes. You know this, the same way that fat guys in stained t-shirts and ponytails know why they're not getting laid, and yet you ignore it for your own comfort and convenience, same as them.

Everything I just said is basically a detailed restatement of other posts that have been made here a thousand times before. At this point the nerd-critics are patting themselves on the back for their moral superiority and the player-apologists are sneering at them for their ineffectuality. They're left on opposite sides of several complex philosophical questions.

-Is there any merit to virtue from a position of weakness? My great difficulty with women at the moment is the problem of meeting one who a) I'm really attracted to and b) is available. As it stands, then, my sexual options are dependent on trying to get with girls that I'm not particularly into. On the one hand, I don't have much interest in this, unless it's really easy, I'm hammered, or both. On the other hand, I'm not very good at it, either; I suck at faking interest, I'm not a very plausible liar, I get bored very quickly with most conversation in spite of my considerable skill with such things and I generally find it very difficult to approach strangers who are not obviously inviting. If I were more polished, or just an Adonis who didn't have to worry about such things - if I believed I could have any random woman I picked out of a crowd, would I have the same qualms about taking advantage of them? It's very, very easy to choose not to abuse a power that one doesn't even have, or doesn't believe one has. Is there ever any actual merit in that?

Can the 'losing' strategy ever still be 'right?' The nerd-critics would almost certainly say yes, and the player-apologists would likely say no. This is only corner of a very, very large debate about some very big questions.
Christianity is on the decline in Western civilization, and with it the notion of a theistic, ethical universe in which the ultimate reward or punishment for your actions has nothing to do with whether or not they bring you earthly profit. Success and survival are all-important. The notion that something can still be 'right' even if it doesn't work, and 'wrong' even if it does, are dying out in some ways, to be replaced by modern notions of realism, which are, essentially, the worship of success. Dialectics similar to this one appear in a thousand other places, centered around this exact theme - the Noble Loser versus the Pragmatic Winner. Which one's better? Where do you even begin to answer that question?

jws43yale 08-08-2007 04:18 PM

Re: Some Stuff About PUA (very long)

Another TLDR (although I did read it) Anacardo I am an incredible human but feel so emo right now post. I am excited to see where this one leads.

traz 08-08-2007 04:21 PM

If a post ever needed cliff notes, this would be it.

I'm not sure where to take this discussion, but alot of PUA hate seems to stem from the idea that it's all an act to trick women. But the idea isn't to trick women into finding you attractive, it's to actually become attractive. The hard part is learning what "attractive" means and internalizing it so that it becomes a part of you.

Some guys seem to think that they shouldn't need to learn how to become attractive, but there's no real basis for this line of thinking.

It's not about tricks and facades, that's just how it's marketed. It's a lifestyle, a long process, where the goal is to constantly improve yourself in order to better meet whatever female-oriented goals you may have.

stabn 08-08-2007 04:23 PM

I think i read about half of it. Anyone beat that?

tpir 08-08-2007 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every time I read one of these threads I start to feel ill, in a disgusted-yet-keyed-up way that I find difficult to describe or explain.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, your emotional reaction to people treating social interaction in a different way resulted in this many words? I would hate to see your response to something *really* offensive.

[ QUOTE ]
In matters like this, questions of elemental things like sex, social status, relationships, emotion, etc. etc. etc., I very much doubt there are any genuine neutrals.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not 100% sure what you are trying to say here, but your doubts do not translate into facts. Even though you try to base most of this essay on your personal doubts.

[ QUOTE ]
We are all of us prisoners of the flesh when it comes to this sort of thing; slaves to our own histories, experiences, conceptions, basic personalities. Silly to pretend otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't true. Not everyone subscribes to your self-imposed limitations on perception.

[ QUOTE ]
Since I really have only my own perspective

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Appeal to ignorance much?

I could go on but I will wait to see what parts of this travesty other people key in on.

Anacardo 08-08-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a post ever needed cliff notes, this would be it.

I'm not sure where to take this discussion, but alot of PUA hate seems to stem from the idea that it's all an act to trick women. But the idea isn't to trick women into finding you attractive, it's to actually become attractive. The hard part is learning what "attractive" means and internalizing it so that it becomes a part of you.

Some guys seem to think that they shouldn't need to learn how to become attractive, but there's no real basis for this line of thinking.

It's not about tricks and facades, that's just how it's marketed. It's a lifestyle, a long process, where the goal is to constantly improve yourself in order to better meet whatever female-oriented goals you may have.

[/ QUOTE ]

As pointed out, there is an element of truth to this, that PUA is all about arete/excellence, but that's clearly not the whole story. Besides, what does 'attractive' mean? Humans are attracted to a lot of different and variable things, of course, so what are the universal elements of attractiveness that can be isolated and defined, if any?

tpir 08-08-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I stopped when I got to this:

[ QUOTE ]
I have never had a real relationship of any mutual emotional significance. To the former I am fairly indifferent, but the latter bothers me a great deal. Insofar as I do not have what I want, and have no reason to believe that it is on the horizon, I must consider myself a failure in this regard.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Absurd on many levels. The concluding paragraphs must have some gems in them too. I am tagging in someone else to finish reading though.

tuq 08-08-2007 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. And I think I speak for everyone.

JuntMonkey 08-08-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. And I think I speak for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it all, response to follow.

kipin 08-08-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the whole thing!

MaxPower 08-08-2007 04:41 PM

This post is about you. I am not a PUA and I am not particularly good with women, but I think you are wrong on just about every point.

If you are happy with the way things are going for you, then nobody is going to tell you that what you are doing is wrong. But your post clearly indicates that you are not happy because you are not able to meet the type of women that you are into.

What is wrong with trying to understand attraction? Women have been doing this forever when it comes to men. Most of them put a lot of effort into how they dress and groom themselves. They discuss relationships with their friends and talk about how to act on dates, etc. But if men do these things you consider it "doucchy" and you think it is more noble to do nothing and hope that the women on your dreams falls into you lap.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a women to like you for who you are, but you have to attract her first. Once she is attracted to you she will find out who you are. She isn't going to waste any time getting to know you if she isn't attracted to you and if she does get to know you without being attracted you end up as a friend. These PUA guys are just experts at getting women to be attracted to them (and some other things). What is wrong with that? if you are such a great guy, wouldn't you be doing women a favor by getting them attracted to you. You don't have to dress funny, go to clubs, and use pick lines to do this, but you do have to have something.

Your problem is that you think about everything only from your own perspective. Try thinking about it from the woman's perspective.

NozeCandy 08-08-2007 04:43 PM

Maybe women don't like you because you can't get a job. Or something.

Either way, I said this in another thread once: PUAs are experts at picking up rape, incest, and abuse victims.

Anacardo 08-08-2007 04:45 PM

Sigh.

This isn't about me. I don't want this thread to be about me and my [censored]. I'm just using myself as a representative example of one of two basic perspectives on a debate.

snagglepuss 08-08-2007 04:48 PM

your two perspectives are way too polarized.

maxpower made some good points.

also, most smart/cool women i know still like the guy to be in control of some aspects of 'the game' as you would likely put it. that way they are happy when you start to make concessions for them and give back.

i think you are all over the place and are patting yourself on the back too much for an argument that is not nearly as well thought out as you wish it was.

bisonbison 08-08-2007 04:48 PM

If all you want to do is get laid, then PUA stuff will help you, both in success rate and in willingness to endure churn.

If you want to have successful relationships most of the gimmicks and categories and techniques are worse than useless, but the self-image stuff about you, the guy, has some merit.

RikkiDee 08-08-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe women don't like you because you can't get a job. Or something.

Either way, I said this in another thread once: PUAs are experts at picking up rape, incest, and abuse victims.

[/ QUOTE ]

pussy is pussy to a pua

Anacardo 08-08-2007 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your two perspectives are way too polarized.

maxpower made some good points.

also, most smart/cool women i know still like the guy to be in control of some aspects of 'the game' as you would likely put it. that way they are happy when you start to make concessions for them and give back.

i think you are all over the place and are patting yourself on the back too much for an argument that is not nearly as well thought out as you wish it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

This argument ISN'T nearly as well thought out as I wish it was. I hope that getting it out there / talking about it will help me refine it.

tpir 08-08-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

This isn't about me. I don't want this thread to be about me and my [censored]. I'm just using myself as a representative example of one of two basic perspectives on a debate.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) For not being about you there is an awful lot of information about you in it. I can write that off, but still.
2) What makes you think you are fit to be representative?
3) There are more than two perspectives. Are your personal biases possibly leading you to a black/white conclusion that doesn't exist?

Anacardo 08-08-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If all you want to do is get laid, then PUA stuff will help you, both in success rate and in willingness to endure churn.

If you want to have successful relationships most of the gimmicks and categories and techniques are worse than useless, but the self-image stuff about you, the guy, has some merit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the most simple, elegant way to state all the immediate reasonable conclusions about PUA. You've always been very good about that sort of thing, just as I'm very bad at it. I think there's some value to digging further, though, which might come across more clearly if I had an editor.

FocusedOne 08-08-2007 04:53 PM

I don't know what a PUA is.

I still tried to read the entire post.

I swear to God I have never been more confused in my life. I couldn't begin to explain anything I read, and I consider myself a fairly intelligent person.

traz 08-08-2007 04:54 PM

PUA stuff is not useless when it comes to building successful relationships. Not in the slightest...it shows what kind of bad PUA info is getting around out there

FocusedOne 08-08-2007 04:55 PM

okay I just googled it and I feel a lot better about my understanding of this. But I still wont reread it.

MaxPower 08-08-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are creating two basic perspectives, but both perspectives are in your head. You are setting these two perspectives against each other in a false way. In that sense it is about you, because these perspectives are in your head and are not based in reality.

NozeCandy 08-08-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigger sigh. I was joking.

Dids 08-08-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are creating two basic perspectives, but both perspectives are in your head. You are setting these two perspectives against each other in a false way. In that sense it is about you, because these perspectives are in your head and are not based in reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really apt way of describing most of the Cardo experience.

Anacardo 08-08-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not have noticed but I was replying to MaxPower.

JuntMonkey 08-08-2007 05:00 PM

The key here lies in this paragraph:

[ QUOTE ]
-Is there any merit to virtue from a position of weakness? My great difficulty with women at the moment is the problem of meeting one who a) I'm really attracted to and b) is available. As it stands, then, my sexual options are dependent on trying to get with girls that I'm not particularly into. On the one hand, I don't have much interest in this, unless it's really easy, I'm hammered, or both. On the other hand, I'm not very good at it, either; I suck at faking interest, I'm not a very plausible liar, I get bored very quickly with most conversation in spite of my considerable skill with such things and I generally find it very difficult to approach strangers who are not obviously inviting. If I were more polished, or just an Adonis who didn't have to worry about such things - if I believed I could have any random woman I picked out of a crowd, would I have the same qualms about taking advantage of them? It's very, very easy to choose not to abuse a power that one doesn't even have, or doesn't believe one has. Is there ever any actual merit in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hundreds of available women whom you probably come into contact with on a daily basis. Why not just look into some PUA stuff and work on being able to approach these total strangers with confidence? You don't have to "run patterns" or "neg" or use "kino" or anything else you think is lame or unethical or gimmicky. There are different schools of thought in the PUA community, and they don't all involve hypnotizing a weak, slutty woman into banging you on the first night (actually, none of them that I know of really involve this, but it's a common misconception).

RayPowers 08-08-2007 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PUA stuff is not useless when it comes to building successful relationships. Not in the slightest...it shows what kind of bad PUA info is getting around out there

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I use the lessons in married life on a regular basis. I will once again state that PUA research is useful for interacting with women, period.

Ray

Anacardo 08-08-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! Oversimplification for the purposes of advancing an argument is super-standard. I think the two ragged camps I've chosen are semi-valid but there's obviously going to be a pretty wide range of opinion.

What do you mean 'setting them against each other in a false way?' Only insofar as they're always set against each other in a false way; I mean, read any other thread on PUA and that's exactly what we end up with - two mutually hostile viewpoints riddled with fallacies that don't get us anywhere. But they both in their way make strong cases, and that's what really interests me - the debate between success and virtue, and the fallacies of both, and the artificial division of the whole thing, and also the REAL divisions that aren't easily reconciled.

Dudd 08-08-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it, but I wouldn't say I understood it. Anacardo, you need to realize that when writing, simplicity is better. This isn't some deep philosophical dissertation you're writing, this is a message board post about picking up chicks that is meant to be read quickly by others and then discussed. Know your audience and your subject matter, and then converse in a orderly and logical manner. If you think about it, that's really what these PUA are really doing, they know their audience and tailor what they say to appeal to them. I'm willing to bet that you do the same thing in real life, talking and acting as if you're smarter and more intelligent than everyone else and if people don't get you, that's their loss. That's good to a point, but if you steadfastly refuse to change this, I don't see how you can act this way while simultaneous complaining that you've never had a real relationship.

JuntMonkey 08-08-2007 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These aren't true at all; it's whatever you want it to be.

Eurotrash 08-08-2007 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually made it through the entire thing.

this should end up being a rather lol thread. http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/766/popcorntl5.gif

RayPowers 08-08-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are hundreds of available women whom you probably come into contact with on a daily basis. Why not just look into some PUA stuff and work on being able to approach these total strangers with confidence? You don't have to "run patterns" or "neg" or use "kino" or anything else you think is lame or unethical or gimmicky. There are different schools of thought in the PUA community, and they don't all involve hypnotizing a weak, slutty woman into banging you on the first night (actually, none of them that I know of really involve this, but it's a common misconception).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. In fact, how about learning to just walk up and say Hi. If there's anything you "learn" by studying PUA, its that women are people too, it turns out that anyone can have a conversation, and to try, try, try again.

Ray

Anacardo 08-08-2007 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it, but I wouldn't say I understood it. Anacardo, you need to realize that when writing, simplicity is better. This isn't some deep philosophical dissertation you're writing, this is a message board post about picking up chicks that is meant to be read quickly by others and then discussed. Know your audience and your subject matter, and then converse in a orderly and logical manner. If you think about it, that's really what these PUA are really doing, they know their audience and tailor what they say to appeal to them. I'm willing to bet that you do the same thing in real life, talking and acting as if you're smarter and more intelligent than everyone else and if people don't get you, that's their loss. That's good to a point, but if you steadfastly refuse to change this, I don't see how you can act this way while simultaneous complaining that you've never had a real relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude this is just a huge thoughtblob that I wanted to get out and have people start chopping it to pieces as quickly as possible. I freely and cheerfully admit this.

El Diablo 08-08-2007 05:08 PM

Cardo,

"If PUA was, as one poster described it, merely about becoming a funny, unique, interesting person who commands attention, pushes boundaries and stands out, then I respectfully suggest that I should be teaching these courses."

I suspect that how people perceive you is quite different than how you perceive yourself.

Here's one PUA site I was just shown recently:
http://realsocialdynamics.com/
http://www.becometransformed.com/

Skimming their material, one section (Hoobie) popped out to me:

--
“I don’t really like all these openers that everybody seems to be using because they’re so played, so I just see a girl and say whatever comes into my head…”

Apparently Hoobie is a guy who for some reason or other simply doesn’t see his so-called limitations.

Hoobie’s outlook, when you ask him, is “With everyone else trying to put limitations on you, why would you decide to put them on yourself??”
--

Sure, you can find many parts that seem insincere or manufactured, and maybe that's not for you. But some consistent themes across everything I've read on this topic are:

-get rid of negative, defeatist attitudes
-don't be afraid of rejection
-be more confident about yourself

For the vast majority of guys, just thinking positively and actually talking to people they are interested in would make a huge difference in their success with women.

I see this stuff in many ways as not all that different from working out and being in good shape. When I do that, I look better, feel better about myself, and am more confident in my interactions with women, and all of that is reflected in the results. Is that me being insincere? No, I'm just trying to maximize my potential and increase my chances of getting what I want.

NozeCandy 08-08-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not have noticed but I was replying to MaxPower.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh.

Klompy 08-08-2007 05:08 PM

Can anyone write some cliff notes? Was there even any content?

Vehn 08-08-2007 05:12 PM

how much "pua stuff" have you actually read? Which ones?

Eurotrash 08-08-2007 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude this is just a huge thoughtblob that I wanted to get out and have people start chopping it to pieces as quickly as possible. I freely and cheerfully admit this.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are a glutton for punishment.

tpir 08-08-2007 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone write some cliff notes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure.

- Cardo looked at a part of life, in this case relationships with girls.
- Then he unconsciously (or semi-consciously) applied these to what he saw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion

That's about it.