Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   FFK & Optimus Prime need your help! (with video & pics) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314202)

Fast Food Knight 01-24-2007 06:16 PM

FFK & Optimus Prime need your help! (with video & pics)

OK, so about 6 months ago we adopted a 3 year old male cat from the Humane Society. Named him Optimus Prime. He is awesome. Almost acts like a dog... follows you around... meows and runs to the door when you get home... freaking badass (some 2+2ers can attest to this). We have never had any behavior problems from Optimus whatsoever.

Here is Optimus
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9514/optimus26hg.jpg

Balancing act...
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4115/optimus32wb.jpg

And my personal fave of Optimus and AEKDBet...
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9976/optimus46uv.jpg

Here is a video of him.

And so my dilemma...
Over MLK all three of us were out of town for several days. We have left Optimus by himself with lots of extra food and water for up to six days before and he was fine, so I did not think this was a big deal.

Buuut while we were gone this time, he peed on the couch. Awesome. It took a little while for us to catch on to exactly what was going on but by now, he is peeing on the couch in the same spot whenever he is alone.

I love my cat dearly... he has been a joy in my life through some really hard times recently. But, I can't keep living with a wet/smelly/uriney couch.

My question to you OOT, is this: have any of you run into this problem before and had a successful resolution? What products should I use or not use on the couch? What sort of training can I do to teach Optimus not to pee there anymore?

He is neutered and I don't believe this to be a "spraying" type thing, based on the research I've done, he smells the pee spot and thinks he's supposed to pee there. I really don't want to lose my cat so please help us, OOT.

Responses like "get rid of your cat" or "cats R gay" are not funny and will be ignored. Thanks.

punkass 01-24-2007 06:18 PM

Re: FFK & Optimus Prime need your help! (with video & pics)

[ QUOTE ]
Named him Optimus Prime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any advice concerning your questions, but I just thought the cat's name was very awesome.

By-Tor 01-24-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love my cat dearly...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Responses like "get rid of your cat" or "cats R gay" are not funny and will be ignored. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about...

NOBODY OWNS CATS!

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Paul B. 01-24-2007 06:20 PM

1) Throw out old couch.
2) Get a new couch.

Fast Food Knight 01-24-2007 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Throw out old couch.
2) Get a new couch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya... the couch is pretty new and nice so I'd REALLY like to not have to do this. But I realize it might be a last resort. Thank you for the serious response.

Ron Burgundy 01-24-2007 06:24 PM

Flip the cushions, like George Costanza did.

offTopic 01-24-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you for the serious response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure we need to split off a subforum from OOT about all things cats.

wet work 01-24-2007 06:25 PM

I've heard that if you sequester them in a small room, like a bathroom for 2-3 days with just their litter box you can retrain them to just the box. I'm not 100% sure if it works or would apply in this situation. Maybe call your vet, he may have a good remedy.

howzit 01-24-2007 06:25 PM

try get it professionally cleaned.

AE6 01-24-2007 06:26 PM

put his food dish by the spot where he is peeing and he will stop. also, make sure his litter box is really clean as much as possible.

*** 01-24-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) Throw out old couch.
2) Get a new couch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya... the couch is pretty new and nice so I'd REALLY like to not have to do this. But I realize it might be a last resort. Thank you for the serious response.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might actually have to do this. Try nilodor or something first, but as long as the cat can smell its urine there, it will think the couch is a fine place to piss. Optimus probably did it because he was mad at you for leaving.

Male cats are known for this, even if neutered. He might also have done it because his litter box was dirty too. I recommend not allowing your cat access to the couch area until you re litter train him.

Abones 01-24-2007 06:27 PM

This should help remove the stain:

http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/cat_...sletter10.html

Maybe the problem as well?

Dids 01-24-2007 06:27 PM

Thoughts as follows

1- KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2- Our cats used to us urine as a punative measure when the family would go out of town.

3- I have no real suggestions on solutions, I forget how my folks dealt with it.

A S U 01-24-2007 06:28 PM

Your cat my be very picky about his/her litter box and the couch is the go to area.

Also cats aren't stupid they know they are doing wrong, but it's a sign they are unhappy with something. Possibly the fact he/she was alone for 6 straight days.

Sort of related story. A couple of my old buddies were roomates. One guy had a siamese cat, the other hated the cat with a passion. He used to squirt him with water, kick him, hell at him, just be an overall ahole to the cat. Well whenever he left his bedroom door open the cat would take a dump on his bed. The cat never pissed on the carpet or crapped anywhere besides the litter box, except on that guy's bed. It was revenge [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Spellmen 01-24-2007 06:28 PM

Check around at a pet store or ask a vet, I'm sure there is something you can spray on the couch that will keep him away. Other than that I'm not really sure what to suggest, I have one cat and 2 dogs and the cat has never had any problems. I don't really think you can train a cat or punish him like a dog

Alobar 01-24-2007 06:30 PM

This is why cats suck. Thats not a joke response either. Hes pissing cuz you are leaving him alone not because he thinks hes supposed to pee there.

The best product to use hands down is Nature's Miracle

hes got a cool name btw

TheBlueMonster 01-24-2007 06:30 PM

The simple solution is to never leave your cat alone. It's just too cruel

It's OK to baby talk in super cute animal videos like this and your cat is very awesome, but the baby talk in the background of the sleeping video takes away from his baddass-itude.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

By-Tor 01-24-2007 06:31 PM

oh, btw, the correct answer is to put some tabasco sauce on the spot.

Aces McGee 01-24-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sure there is something you can spray on the couch that will keep him away.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with these types of remedies is that they tend to keep humans away, too. The smell is strong and not pleasant.

-McGee

buriedbeds 01-24-2007 06:42 PM

I really wish this thread was about autobots and decepticons and not a cat. I hate cats. And you can't get mad at me for not posting a response to your OP because your thread title is cruelly misleading. Although the thread did have...more than meets the eye, which I appreciated. Once inside, my expectations did...transform.

etc.

-bb.

private joker 01-24-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The simple solution is to never leave your cat alone. It's just too cruel

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Housecats (especially the ones who like lots of attention -- Optimus Prime is clearly one of those, since he comes to the door when you get home) can be ok if you're gone for maybe 2 days max, but they will freak out if you're gone for a week. Leaving food and water out isn't enough. They need a person around.

Also, water isn't fresh after 6 days. If you're going to be gone longer than 2 days, give your keys to a friend so they can come over and pour fresh water into the dish. How you feel having to drink 6-day old water?

optimus_prime 01-24-2007 06:44 PM

My bad, I didn't realize it was a problem.

Alobar 01-24-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is awesome. Almost acts like a dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh also, I love when cat people say this. It's like admiting that cats suck and dogs are vastly superior

ok, this response you can actually ignore [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tom1975 01-24-2007 06:49 PM

Get car battery and jumper cables. Attach positive and negative terminals to opposite corners of couch cushion. Problem solved.

durkahdurkah 01-24-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
put his food dish by the spot where he is peeing and he will stop. also, make sure his litter box is really clean as much as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the correct answer

bobman0330 01-24-2007 06:55 PM

[censored] Optimus Prime.

EDIT: Seriously though, maybe spray vinegar on that spot every day for a week and see if it discourages him enough. Otherwise, talk to a vet?

El Diablo 01-24-2007 06:59 PM

FFK,

Besides asking a vet, if I were you I'd check or post someplace more likely to really know and give lots of feedback:

http://www.catster.com/forums/home.php

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/

http://forums.petlovers.com/vb/

Just 3 of dozens of cat/pet forums.

El Diablo 01-24-2007 07:00 PM

pj,

"Also, water isn't fresh after 6 days. If you're going to be gone longer than 2 days, give your keys to a friend so they can come over and pour fresh water into the dish. How you feel having to drink 6-day old water?"

Maybe they used one of those sweet water filtering/aerating fountain things?

offTopic 01-24-2007 07:00 PM

Masked Man:

You forgot http://www.elainevigneault.com/

mason55 01-24-2007 07:17 PM

Nobody "owns" a cat

Fast Food Knight 01-24-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pj,

"Also, water isn't fresh after 6 days. If you're going to be gone longer than 2 days, give your keys to a friend so they can come over and pour fresh water into the dish. How you feel having to drink 6-day old water?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually he drinks out of the toilet, by choice. LOL

private joker 01-24-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pj,

[/ QUOTE ]

My cat has one of those. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Scary_Tiger 01-24-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pj,

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister's cats have one of these. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Badger 01-24-2007 07:34 PM

Can it really cost that much to board a cat?
Six days sounds cruel.

mrkilla 01-24-2007 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why cats suck. Thats not a joke response either. Hes pissing cuz you are leaving him alone not because he thinks hes supposed to pee there.

The best product to use hands down is Nature's Miracle

hes got a cool name btw

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a fan of cats and dogs, and they both will do it when they are left alone and upset.

FFK check out this book
The Cat who Cried for Help

i have not read but it looks like it may be of assistance to you.

Lastly you can go visit the pyscho's blog and ask her , but this might back fire and she will call the ASPCA on you for scolding the cat when he pee's on the couch.

PS is that dude sleeping in cat pee then?

cbloom 01-24-2007 07:49 PM

LOL at the dog owners saying this is why cats suck. WTF does a lab do if you leave it alone inside for 6 days? Your whole house is in shreds & covered in [censored]!

Anyway, you need to clean the couch as much as possible. Spray with ammonia/citrus/capsaicin (capsaicin = hot pepper extract). Make sure his litter is clean & his food is not near his litter. Moving the food near the couch might work, but cats will also act out if you move their food around a lot, so YMMV

gumpzilla 01-24-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, you need to clean the couch as much as possible. Spray with ammonia/citrus/capsaicin (capsaicin = hot pepper extract).

[/ QUOTE ]

And never, ever have sex on that couch again.

siccjay 01-24-2007 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
try get it professionally cleaned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say this.

or

I think you can buy stuff that is supposed to keep cats from peeing in a certain spot. At least something that will keep him off the furniture. Maybe not though.

He is probably just pissed you left him so long. He will get over it and stop wizzing on your stuff.

theben 01-24-2007 08:13 PM

I have had this occur before. My suggestions/thoughts are as follows:

1. When he urinates on the couch, pick him up. Take him to that spot and spray him with a water bottle. (Not my favorite. I prefer #2,3

2. As often as possible, (every few hours and try to minimize the amounts of long gaps) pick him up and put him in his litter box. Hopefully, he'll get the message. I used this technique for my cat to get her to stop peeing in the corner of the hall.

3. He may have gotten a urinary infection and started associating the litter box with pain. At some point, he went on the couch and it did not hurt. So he assumes peeing in litter box = pain and peeing on couch = aaaaaaaaahhh. Try getting a new litter box (style/color and put it in a new area)

The DaveR 01-24-2007 08:18 PM

Opening this thread and not seeing Transformers totally sucked.