Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Motivational books (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=507981)

SlowHabit 09-24-2007 02:27 AM

Motivational books

I'm currently looking for motivational books so I can help out a friend. I never understand why such books exist and the strategies/advices are cheesy but it seems like most people [or at least most that I know] aren't very motivated.

I am browsing Amazon but there are too many titles with 4.5 stars and I don't want to buy all of them only to find out they give the same advices.

If you don't know any motivation books, any book on how to deal with people [or persuasion] is fine.

Thanks!

PS. Another friend likes "The Power of Now" but he said it's BS after 5 chapters.

jeffnc 09-24-2007 08:55 AM

Re: Motivational books

I thought Crucial Conversations was very good. Really helped me focus on what I really wanted, rather than what my short term feelings are during a conversation. Gives tactics to get to where you want to be.

ArturiusX 09-24-2007 09:03 AM

48 Laws of Power isn't all fluffy, cheesy, or even personal, but damn if it isn't inspiring and motivating.

http://www.amazon.com/48-Laws-Power-Robe...8956&sr=8-2

Jay. 09-24-2007 09:26 AM

I like Maximum Achievement.

captZEEbo 09-24-2007 02:15 PM

what kind of motivation does he need? friends, money, girls, work-related....

SlowHabit 09-24-2007 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He's currently grinding at a regular job that pays him well (about 85k/year) but we're 23 years old so naturally, I want us to be dangerous.

We have plans on how to be rich [and subsequently, all the moneys, blings, and hoes will follow]. But I feel he doesn't have that sense of urgency to succeed even though he understands valuable time is slowly slipping away. One's window of opportunity can only be open for so long.

Basically, I want to create a burning desire inside of him so we can get going.

Duke 09-24-2007 03:59 PM

I like the Count of Monte Cristo for motivation. Have him watch the biggest loser too.

Jay. 09-24-2007 10:44 PM

Sounds perfect for Think and Grow Rich

7ontheline 09-24-2007 11:15 PM

What do people think of Rich Dad, Poor Dad? I know of people who swear by it but when I read it I hated it. I also hated Who Moved My Cheese?, so maybe I just don't like this kind of book.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-24-2007 11:36 PM

me you and dupree

xxThe_Lebowskixx 09-24-2007 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do people think of Rich Dad, Poor Dad? I know of people who swear by it but when I read it I hated it. I also hated Who Moved My Cheese?, so maybe I just don't like this kind of book.

[/ QUOTE ]
his books are pointless. they keep repeating the same thing over and over. i guess that is their motive, to smash it into your head that you can change, but overall its useless imho.

SlowHabit 09-24-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
RDPD is good in a sense that you won't be grinding in life if you find an asset [or positive cash flow vehicle] to grind for you.

Besides that, the material is not fundamentally sound. I haven't read other works by him but the image of him smiling under the subject "Rich Me Poor You" series tilt the hell out me.

Tien 09-25-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
his books are pointless. they keep repeating the same thing over and over. i guess that is their motive, to smash it into your head that you can change, but overall its useless imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very ignorant to say his books are useless when the fundamentals that the book teaches is completely missed by 90% of the world population.

I think a few billion more people need to read his books.

Tien 09-25-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tien 09-25-2007 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He's currently grinding at a regular job that pays him well (about 85k/year) but we're 23 years old so naturally, I want us to be dangerous.

We have plans on how to be rich [and subsequently, all the moneys, blings, and hoes will follow]. But I feel he doesn't have that sense of urgency to succeed even though he understands valuable time is slowly slipping away. One's window of opportunity can only be open for so long.

Basically, I want to create a burning desire inside of him so we can get going.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are better off going off and accomplishing those things you want with someone else or alone.

There is almost no point trying to carry around a heavy weight that will just drag you down years later.

IMO, you are wasting your time on your friend.

sledghammer 09-25-2007 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

John Reed has a thorough critique of Rich Dad Poor Dad. He basically uncovers the author as a complete fraud. It's a long read, but addicting: web page

Noodles. 09-25-2007 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

John Reed has a thorough critique of Rich Dad Poor Dad. He basically uncovers the author as a complete fraud. It's a long read, but addicting: web page

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with most of the critique on the site you mentioned, but if you do not know he is a fraud it is a good motivational book, that also teaches about assets.

Tien 09-25-2007 10:52 AM

John T Reed is pathetic.

Puts authors down meanwhile shamelessly promoting his products in the same page.

context 09-25-2007 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
John T Reed is pathetic.

Puts authors down meanwhile shamelessly promoting his products in the same page.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are Robert T. Kiyosaki and I claim my $5.

ElSapo 09-25-2007 01:40 PM

This isn't really a "motivational" book ...

Read "Mastery" by George Leonard. It's about seeing and staying on a path towards mastery in any endeavor - mostly sports, but anything would apply.

I've read this book maybe ten times.

Amazon link.

ZenMusician 09-25-2007 02:08 PM

I thought this book was useful for unclogging the creative juice tap every now and again:

Artist's Way

-ZEN

SlowHabit 09-25-2007 06:54 PM

Does anyone know if the reviewers on Amazon get paid?

SuperWhale 09-25-2007 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that, this book is based on years of research on successful people and the qualities they share. The research was done at Andrew Carnegie's request.

It is a pretty fast read too.

Genz 09-28-2007 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that, this book is based on years of research on successful people and the qualities they share. The research was done at Andrew Carnegie's request.

It is a pretty fast read too.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the first book that came to my mind too, but I have doubts that it will help in this specific situation. IIRC (I haven't read it completely), it's more for people that already have a specific goal that they want to pursue and helps them getting there (edit: i.e. staying motivated, sticking with the goal, enduring hardships). I don't know if it's motivational if you don't really have a goal in the first place. But I might be wrong.

OP, a few years ago, NLP was all the rage. Maybe YOU want to read a few of those books to learn how to influence your buddy to develop a burning desire. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

PokerAmateur4 09-28-2007 06:18 AM

whats the opinion on "laws of success"?

bkholdem 10-07-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently looking for motivational books so I can help out a friend. I never understand why such books exist and the strategies/advices are cheesy but it seems like most people [or at least most that I know] aren't very motivated.

I am browsing Amazon but there are too many titles with 4.5 stars and I don't want to buy all of them only to find out they give the same advices.

If you don't know any motivation books, any book on how to deal with people [or persuasion] is fine.

Thanks!

PS. Another friend likes "The Power of Now" but he said it's BS after 5 chapters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: "How many motivational books does it take to motivate a person?"

Answer: "Only one, but the person has to desire to be motivated."

LDonnie 10-12-2007 06:16 AM

I haven't read any of the thread and have no clue what kind of motivation we are looking for but in my personal experience I have found Zig Ziglar's book "Better Than Good" to be great and my father says his "See You At The Top" is a great book also.
good luck

unfoldable 10-12-2007 11:08 AM

Napoleon Hill: Think and grow rich
Brian Tracy: Eat that frog. (more about self-organization)
Tom Butler-Bowdon: 50 Success Classics (best book ever)
Stephen R. Covey: The 7 habits of highly effective people
W.T. Gallwey: The inner game of tennis
read these and you are ready. Ready for what, you ask? You tell me.

untadam 10-12-2007 12:29 PM

I find it hard to get motivated by books like these because most of the stuff is general knowledge that gets drilled into us during our schooling yet we refuse to soak it in. If someone doesn't have a desire to live dangerously they aren't going to suddenly change after reading some book. Just my opinion...

unfoldable 10-12-2007 01:19 PM

that is partly true. these books are usually wasted, if you just give them to someone as a gift. noone can make you want to read it. its like poker and so many other things: you know you should read this book to improve your understanding of the game or whatever and still you dont do it. why? who cares? if you dont really want to improve, no force on earth can make you do it.
On the other hand it is good to have them around, just in case you change your mind and need some other opinions.