Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Why is America so obsessed with being "buff"? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=203321)

sushijerk 09-03-2006 06:30 PM

Why is America so obsessed with being \"buff\"?

Why is it that a good portion of the *edit* younger guys *edit* just cannot stop working out? Guys who seem to have huge necks/pecs, and arms so large they can't put them straight against their bodies...ever since high school I've started seeing these guys almost everywhere. I think it has gone from being fit to almost grotesque.

My friends' little brothers who are 12-15 are all lifting/benching instead of playing sports. A couple of my friends who had normal (not skinny) physiques in freshman year of college have gained at least 20-30 pounds of muscle and are still drinking protein shakes. There is no way they can fit into any of the shirts they wore 3-4 years ago.

To any OOT gym-rats....why do you do this? Is it like the social pressure that women have with being thin? Do you guys get more chicks this way? Does it just becomes routine and you have to do it?

P.S. I live in NJ and suspect this phenomenon might be particularly bad due to proximity to the Jersey shore. Are other parts of the country also like this? I know that Asia and the parts of Europe that I've seen are definitely not.

guids 09-03-2006 06:34 PM

Re: Why is America so obsessed with being \"buff\"?

I get way more of a rush deadlifting a quarter of a ton than when I did playing hockey, baseball, or soccer. Whats grotesque is the shape of 99% of americans, not weightlifters. Lifting is a sport, just like any other. Im assume that you are fat and out of shape since your first train of thought is that its social pressure or chicks, rather than lifting for the enjoyment. Am I right?

Khaos4k 09-03-2006 06:35 PM

I go to the gym to improve at sports, and of course be more attractive. Definetly don't understand the gym as only exercise type thing.

cookie 09-03-2006 06:37 PM

I go because I like it. And after a couple of years a national record((benchpress, junior)Denmark) is not that far off, so thats a motivation too.

siccjay 09-03-2006 06:37 PM

Uhhhh have you been outside around people lately? Most americans are fat and out of shape. You are definitely wrong about a "good portion" of the population being obsessed with working out.

edit: I seen you mentioned it may be because of where you are at. I am still willing to bet that a large % of people there are fat.

theben 09-03-2006 06:38 PM

I dont know, but I hate it personally. I've noticed this to a huge degree at college. Most of the freshmen who enter school are all small, tiny and weak. After 1-3 years of hitting up the gym, they all become gigantic meatheads. Literally all of the US resident students at my college (sophomore+) are ripped out of thier skulls.

In fact, nearly 100% of the people I was close friends in high school with started going to the gym on a regular basis for at least a few months. We were all nerds too.

It sickens me. Everybody has to get huge and in the process, most of the dudes because jackass meatheads who don't know what the word 'polite' means

Phoenix1010 09-03-2006 06:41 PM

I want to look good naked!

guids 09-03-2006 06:42 PM

You must be really tiny, because anyone who works out for 1-3 years, is not going to be big, well, at least enough that they look like "gigantic meatheads". There seems to be a lot of jealousy since you labeled everyone who works out as not being polite, you probably just attract douche bags to begin with, and it has nothing to do with working out.

By-Tor 09-03-2006 06:50 PM

So in your opinion, a handful of skinny little punks from NJ are representative of 'America'?

It must be hard keeping the national media away.

sushijerk 09-03-2006 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im assume that you are fat and out of shape since your first train of thought is that its social pressure or chicks, rather than lifting for the enjoyment. Am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Social pressure and chicks is the only reason 99% of the male population from 14-35 does anything on a regular basis. You might lift because you love it but I know all the college freshmen are not thinking "lets goto the gym 3 times a week and only work out our pecs, arms, and abs because we are going to have a ton of fun."

I'm 5'8" and 150 pounds. I do have some lovehandle chub that I'm not fond of but I think I'm far from fat by US standards. I actually have rather large shoulders which I'm no fond of because I like wearing skinny clothes.

Also, this post was made with current college-aged guys in mind. I will most definitely agree that if anything, the general, older, population should start hitting the gym more.

tpir 09-03-2006 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that a good portion of the population just cannot stop working out?

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this even mean? Define good portion.

theben 09-03-2006 06:54 PM

-yeah, i'm small

-3 years is more than enough time to get very big. with steroids, lots of supplements and a rigorous workout plan, you can also get very strong within 12 months. do you ever do to the gym? If yes, you should know that under those conditions, you can get pretty big quickly

-I live in the south and attend a public school. Where I attend class, people are just generally rude, ignorant, and weren't raised very well. I'd say if you created some way to measure the amount of meatheads in a school and ranked all the universities in this country, mine would undoubtedly be in the top-3.

guids 09-03-2006 06:54 PM

Social pressure and chicks is the only reason 99% of the male population from 14-35 does anything on a regular basis.

You must be joking right? Is this really what you think? You need to find new friends if this is what your perception of reality is. There are some things that, of course, you do for chicks/social pressure, but there isnt much that I do. I do what I do, for me, if I cared what anyone else thought, I actually wouldnt do about 99% of the things I do.

Peter Harris 09-03-2006 06:54 PM

i'm happy just staying in shape, i'm never going to push to buff-town. But exercise is goot for you!

theben 09-03-2006 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, this post was made with current college-aged guys in mind. I will most definitely agree that if anything, the general, older, population should start hitting the gym more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that assumption about your original post. I also agree that with older people, excersize/diet needs to be much more frequent. I feel that the whole college gym bug/meathead syndrome is incredibly widespread

guids 09-03-2006 07:00 PM

-I live in the south and attend a public school. Where I attend class, people are just generally rude, ignorant, and weren't raised very well.

I dont get where meatheads and being douchebags are correlated then, you just go to a school with a bunch of douchebags, I doubt it has anything to do with the gym.

Rarely do you have someone start steroids right off the bat, to get "grotesque" as you put it, you need a lot of gym time, a lot of steroids. I think you are blowing things out of porportion really.

sushijerk 09-03-2006 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Social pressure and chicks is the only reason 99% of the male population from 14-35 does anything on a regular basis.

You must be joking right? Is this really what you think? You need to find new friends if this is what your perception of reality is. There are some things that, of course, you do for chicks/social pressure, but there isnt much that I do. I do what I do, for me, if I cared what anyone else thought, I actually wouldnt do about 99% of the things I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind I'm coming out of a college environment. I see ridiculous trends every year (sunglasses at night, popped polos, the whole emo/scenester phenom, trucker hats...) that are embraced and ditched on a monthly basis. I can think of no other explaination other than social pressure/chicks for all these things.

BaHorst 09-03-2006 07:04 PM

Their called endorphins. working out makes you feel good. It boosts your self-esteem, which makes life that much better. True, some ppl take it too far, but it's better than being overweight. So keep on workin out.

guids 09-03-2006 07:05 PM

Right, well, thats college douche bag stuff, maybe 99% of the small circle of peopel that you know act like this, but in no way is that representative of the general population. I never had the normal college experience, I had my own apartment, I went to class for 3 hours a day, didnt talk to no one, then I went home. You need to figure out that the real world, and college are way diff, before you spout your "observations".

Alobar 09-03-2006 07:10 PM

I think most guys do it for chicks. When I was 18ish I was huge into it, as were all my friends. I got older, and my exercise priorities changed.

Its like any exercise tho, its good for you, it makes you feel good about yourself and life, and so thats why people continue to do it past whatever reason they started doing it for (read: chicks)

sushijerk 09-03-2006 07:10 PM

This is not a general college thing though. I've been to college environments in countries like China, Japan, England, Spain, etc... and there is a significant difference thier physqiue versus the American one.

Also, thier men's health magazines are nowhere as saturated with muscle-bound guys as America's tends to be. That is why I think it is an image issue particular to young Americans.

guids 09-03-2006 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a general college thing though. I've been to college environments in countries like China, Japan, England, Spain, etc... and there is a significant difference thier physqiue versus the American one.

Also, thier men's health magazines are nowhere as saturated with muscle-bound guys as America's tends to be. That is why I think it is an image issue particular to young Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do the chinese practice communism, why do the do the British speak with a funny accent, why does Spain roll ovver to terrorists, why do the Japanese have panties in their vending machines? Its becuase we all come from different cultures.

theben 09-03-2006 07:16 PM

are you joking? i'm pretty sure that in college, most all dudes aren't lifting because 'its fun'. its really just a pain in the ass. nobody finds that stuff fun

i promise you almost every single guy in college who decides to get buff (other than althetes) is doing it to try to pick up chicks and fit in with a group of other meatheads

guids 09-03-2006 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you joking? i'm pretty sure that in college, most all dudes aren't lifting because 'its fun'. its really just a pain in the ass. nobody finds that stuff fun

i promise you almost every single guy in college who decides to get buff (other than althetes) is doing it to try to pick up chicks and fit in with a group of other meatheads

[/ QUOTE ]

theben, even though your mommy may have told you different, the world does not revolve around you, what you may find tiresome others may find a lot of enjoyment.

absoludicrous 09-03-2006 07:20 PM

Cocky meatheaded weightlifters = inferiority complex

But not all of them are like this...

Spellmen 09-03-2006 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that assumption about your original post. I also agree that with older people, excersize/diet needs to be much more frequent. I feel that the whole college gym bug/meathead syndrome is incredibly widespread

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think these older people going to the gym are? Lazy slobs who sat around through their mid twenties and thirties, or people who worked out most of their lives and developed healthy good habits?

ed8383 09-03-2006 07:25 PM

The reason most young guys in America are marching to gyms like robots is because IT HAS BECOME FEMININE TO BE SKINNY (for a man)! In our culture women are supposed to be skinny, guys are supposed to be buff. That is how we have been conditioned to see things.

Is it somehow morally wrong? I don't think it is! (and this ain't no meathead speaking im a skinny guy that never works out). I rather see a society where men are conditioned to strive for looking buff and women to look slim, rather than men being fat and women being buff or any other combination. Men strive for the masculinity that is looking big and strong while women strive for the feminine look of being thin, being the opposite look of the man.

robber baron 09-03-2006 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, well, thats college douche bag stuff, maybe 99% of the small circle of peopel that you know act like this, but in no way is that representative of the general population. I never had the normal college experience, I had my own apartment, I went to class for 3 hours a day, didnt talk to no one, then I went home. You need to figure out that the real world, and college are way diff, before you spout your "observations".

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense guids, but you're describing the life of a hermit. How does that qualify you to be in tune w/ the pulse of America?

guids 09-03-2006 07:27 PM

The only thing Id say about this, is I dont think its culture, but rather evolution, I personally think women are ingrained to find a strong, "buff" type attractive becuase the skinny weak males got eaten by large animals.

absoludicrous 09-03-2006 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get way more of a rush deadlifting a quarter of a ton than when I did playing hockey, baseball, or soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not calling you a liar, but this is strange.

theben 09-03-2006 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

theben, even though your mommy may have told you different, the world does not revolve around you, what you may find tiresome others may find a lot of enjoyment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand you enjoy lifting. thats pretty darn obvious. but guess what? the world does not revolve around you either and I can say with 100% certainty that most people DO NOT signifcntly enjoy excersize and to it mainly for other reasons than recreation.

just because you like hitting up the gym and because you enjoy it, doesn't mean the general population does. not everybody thinks like you or has your same interests. i think its pretty much common sense that your typical person doesn't like hitting up the gym. i can also say with great confidence that most poeple in the college age group don't start going to the gym because its fun.

they mainly go to:

-look better
-improve overall health
-improve athletic ability

wasn't that common sense? i guess it isnt obvious to everybody

i have a ton of friends who go to the gym and out of them all, maybe 1 does it for fun (but his reason is primarily that he was raised to be a health nut). obviously, this isnt a significant sample and I'm confident in my ability to make a reliable inference from this

guids 09-03-2006 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense guids, but you're describing the life of a hermit. How does that qualify you to be in tune w/ the pulse of America?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I spent 3 hours a day, studying etc rather than talkint to people Im a hermit? I dont think I said what I did for the other 22 hours a day did I? Ya, thats right, I need 25 hours in my day.

theben 09-03-2006 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think these older people going to the gym are? Lazy slobs who sat around through their mid twenties and thirties, or people who worked out most of their lives and developed healthy good habits?

[/ QUOTE ]

spellmen,

Not sure on this one. I've got a feeling some of it comes from the fact that when they were younger, hitting the weights and all wasn't as popular. i'm also fairly sure that a much bigger issue is that they don't have time (jobs, family) and once you hit a certain age you don't really need to stay in shape and look as good as you once did.

guids 09-03-2006 07:31 PM

Hey, pal, Im not the one making sweeping generalizations in this thread, you are. Im just countering your stereotypes with my thoughts. I NEVER said everyone enjoys it, I never saiid EVERYONE hates it, but you have repeatedly stated that 99% of males do it for your made up reasons, Im just saying you are totally wrong.

theben 09-03-2006 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Because I spent 3 hours a day, studying etc rather than talkint to people Im a hermit? I dont think I said what I did for the other 22 hours a day did I?

[/ QUOTE ]

times change, quite literally in this case.

guids 09-03-2006 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get way more of a rush deadlifting a quarter of a ton than when I did playing hockey, baseball, or soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not calling you a liar, but this is strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Why? I think that weightlifting/powerlifting is akin to any sport that you are competing basically against yourself or by yourself (tennis, golf), and being able to accomplish a goal you set out to do, a 70 in golf, a 550lb deadlift etc, is the biggest rush ever.

abarrenfuture 09-03-2006 07:37 PM

I lift because its fun, a good stress release and a rush. Working out is something I look forward to doing, not something I drag myself to do to make myself look good.

KaiserSose 09-03-2006 07:38 PM

TheBen: You clearly have never taken the time to explore lifting...which is understandable. It doesn't really seem like a lot of fun does it? I mean how silly is it to lift a heavy object over and over again.

I was never a gym guy either. All of my friends were bigger then me and I took a lot of [censored] for being the little guy. So I guess I began lifting because of social pressures and the desire to look good and feel better about my body. Is that a bad reason to do something. I don't think so. Who doesn't want to feel better about themselves and be more confident with their body. Although social pressures may be a factor, you can't attribute the "american lifting epedimic" to that reason alone. I don't think people start to lift soley to feel socically accepted. In fact I would bet that most people start lifting more because it makes them feel good, its good for their health and acts as a great way to relieve tension. The gym has become a reprieve from the pressure of school for me - a place where I can productively vent. I think many of you would be surprised how good it feels to see positive changes in your body and how nice it is to set goals and achieve them.

absoludicrous 09-03-2006 07:39 PM

Guids,

Personally, hitting a bases clearing triple was far more exhilirating than bench pressing.

dasani123 09-03-2006 07:40 PM

I'm in college now and I work out and exercise to have fun and stay in shape. A lot of people's (including my own) metabolisms start to slow down around this age and we start to realize we can't eat [censored] everyday without getting fat.