Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Laughs or Links! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   The first time Jerry Seinfeld made me laugh (new) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539899)

youtalkfunny 11-06-2007 06:19 PM

The first time Jerry Seinfeld made me laugh (new)

I'm like the only guy in the world who didn't like his show.

No, I'm not saying that to be cool, or to be different. I've got to like a show's characters before I can like the show, and I don't like any of the characters on that show.

Jerry is doing the interview circuit now, and in every case, he says absolutely nothing, and the interviewers fawn over him like he's the greatest talent ever.

But now, finally, Jerry got me to laugh today--though I've yet to decide whether I'm laughing with him, or at him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfUg...;feature=bz303

MikeyPatriot 11-06-2007 06:34 PM

Re: The first time Jerry Seinfeld made me laugh (new)

I wish more interviewees would rip interviewers for their dumb ass questions.

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 06:54 PM

I never liked Seinfeld.

Thythe 11-06-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never liked Seinfeld.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't really think much of you either.

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never liked Seinfeld.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was responding to a comment that the OP made. I think 2+2 is getting overrun by idiots.

imitation 11-07-2007 01:03 AM

I thought that was pretty good.

GTL 11-07-2007 01:17 AM

your reason for not liking seinfeld is the exact same reason i have heard from several people who don't like the show. they can't get past the fact that the characters are shallow, self centered and selfish. i think people who like the show enjoy it for the exact same reasons. we can see ourselves in these terrible people and laugh about it.

GTL 11-07-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never liked Seinfeld.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was responding to a comment that the OP made. I think 2+2 is getting overrun by idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're proving your point.

dms 11-07-2007 02:26 AM

Your sense of humor must be flawed.

marchron 11-07-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But now, finally, Jerry got me to laugh today--though I've yet to decide whether I'm laughing with him, or at him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither. He looked like a gigantic tool.

gusmahler 11-08-2007 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a fine balancing act. On one hand, the interviewer should know something about the interviewee. The fact that Seinfeld was the #1 show on TV is fairly well known and it is shocking that an interviewer didn't know this. It'd be like asking Tom Brady if he's ever played in the Super Bowl.

OTOH, getting too defensive can make you look like a tool.

(Totally OT: a friend of mine was at a mixer for people from technology companies. A guy from Apple introduced himself to her. She responded, "Interesting name. What do they make?")

Thug Bubbles 11-08-2007 06:52 PM

He looked like an ass. If he had made fun of Larry, then it would have been funny. Instead he got irate. This is a good example of perfect balancing.

[Phill] 11-08-2007 06:53 PM

The interviewer knew it im sure, when i watched it i viewed it as a question to give background - its better to ask a question you know the answer to (but the audience might not) rather than just make the statement with the interviewee sitting there waiting to be involved.

Jerry took it way too far - to me it came off as "yeah, i might be a nobody now, but i was a somebody at one point".

Also, Seinfeld definately went downhill when Larry David stopped writing for it - Jerry's input to its greatness has to be examined within this context.

marchron 11-09-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a fine balancing act. On one hand, the interviewer should know something about the interviewee. The fact that Seinfeld was the #1 show on TV is fairly well known and it is shocking that an interviewer didn't know this. It'd be like asking Tom Brady if he's ever played in the Super Bowl.

OTOH, getting too defensive can make you look like a tool.

(Totally OT: a friend of mine was at a mixer for people from technology companies. A guy from Apple introduced himself to her. She responded, "Interesting name. What do they make?")

[/ QUOTE ]
If you honestly think Larry King didn't know that, you got levelled hard.

nation 11-09-2007 02:35 AM

I'm pretty sure Larry King was just clarifying to the audience so THEY knew that it wasn't canceled...wow seinfeld was an idiot here not a hero.

wtfsvi 11-09-2007 03:34 AM

What the hell at this thread. (Not so much the OP as the replies.) Of course you were laughing with him. It's 100% obvious that he's trying to be funny here.

It wasn't very funny to me, and I certainly didn't laugh, but not realizing he was joking = [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

jkpoker 11-09-2007 04:24 AM

the end was awesome

dibbs 11-09-2007 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell at this thread. (Not so much the OP as the replies.) Of course you were laughing with him. It's 100% obvious that he's trying to be funny here.

It wasn't very funny to me, and I certainly didn't laugh, but not realizing he was joking = [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also interpreted the clip as him trying to take a joke a little too far and not really giving up on it or knowing where to go with it.

JackCase 11-09-2007 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Larry King was just clarifying to the audience so THEY knew that it wasn't canceled...wow seinfeld was an idiot here not a hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. King is known for pandering to guests, and he was obviously tossing Seinfeld a big softball so Jerry could show that he went out on top. Instead Jerry shows that his poor little ego was bruised. It reminded me of the recent news item about a no-name NFL player using the same line:

[ QUOTE ]
Receiver Chris Henry allegedly was involved in an altercation with a parking attendant on the eve of rejoining the Cincinnati Bengals from his eight-game suspension.

A parking attendant told police that Henry and another man parked their sport utility vehicle without paying. According to an incident report, the attendant said Henry argued loudly with him and said, "Don't you know who I am?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is the #3 receiver on one of the worst teams in the league, he is coming off an 8 game suspension, and he says "Don't you know who I am?" Now this guy is funny. A lot funnier than Seinfeld.

JackCase 11-09-2007 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also interpreted the clip as him trying to take a joke a little too far and not really giving up on it or knowing where to go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same impression of his TV show.

Day Man 11-09-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same impression of his TV show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that's why it was so awesome.

Lestat 11-10-2007 04:57 PM

I can't decide.

Yeah, Seinfeld looks like a meglo-maniac, but what an utterly stupid question by Larry King!

ok, I decided...

Jerry has a right to be indignant and insulted. Not only did he have a #1 show, but they invited him to do an interview without even making an effort to ask him intelligent questions.

cbebop007 11-24-2007 06:08 PM

I kinda hope Seinfeld wasn't seriously pissed off because he definitely looked like a d-bag there.

KneeCo 11-25-2007 12:22 AM

Larry King asks the dumbest softball questions always sucking up to his guests big time, I saw 5 mins of him interviewing a 'psychic' once, it was torture.

At the same time, Jerry shouldn't get upset because he should know that's the kind of thing Larry does and he should be happy to have an hour of airtime with someone who almost certainly wont shut up about how great bee movie is.

Of course that's all moot because I think Jerry was just exhibiting a very sarcastic sens of humour and wasn't really upset.

Low Key 11-25-2007 07:06 AM

Yeah, if the end of the clip proved anything, it's that he was poking fun at Larry's question.

Not to take too seriously what Jerry says, but have there ever been shows that were, at one point, number one, that eventually got cancelled? (Or perhaps he was saying his last show was rated #1. I can't tell, I've been drinking)

Oddly, this particular clip cuts out a lot of the laughing that goes on in between what they talk about, making the whole thing look more serious.

dmisfh1 11-25-2007 07:30 AM

People... Larry King KNEW that the show wasn't cancelled. He asked the question for those in the audience that didnt watch his show, as well as to get a reaction out of Seinfeld in the process.

And all Seinfeld did was play back at King. His fake shock and anger was an intentional act to outperform King.

All they were doing was leveling each other.