Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Torre is back... edit... NOT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525909)

addingalpha 10-18-2007 03:43 PM

Torre is back... edit... NOT

1 year with option for 1 year. option may be team option.
a pay cut, but no numbers out yet

stormstarter28 10-18-2007 03:49 PM

Re: Torre is back

link?

addingalpha 10-18-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
link?

[/ QUOTE ]
radio.

breaking news. WFAN. conference call later today i believe

JordanIB 10-18-2007 03:49 PM

Sounds like he's repeating the report that just came over WFAN.

dlk9s 10-18-2007 03:58 PM

Yay, so now we get to hear all the "will Torre be back" [censored] a year from now.

Franchise 60 10-18-2007 04:01 PM

Yea I also heard it on WFAN.

Correct move.

yeotaJMU 10-18-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct move.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

Franchise 60 10-18-2007 04:06 PM

Whoa Torre turned down the offer.

duracell 10-18-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Correct move.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPNEWS is saying Torre rejected the one-year offer.

edit: Franchise beat me to it.

JordanIB 10-18-2007 04:06 PM

Woah. Turned down an offer of 1 year, $5 million with incentive $1 million for each round of the playoffs.

addingalpha 10-18-2007 04:07 PM

was for 5m plus 1m per round of playoffs

lol, this is great

Needle77 10-18-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa Torre turned down the offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that deal sounded good to, going to the world series meant a guarenteed 8 million for him in year 2? Damn.

JordanIB 10-18-2007 04:07 PM

Good for Torre. WTF incentive for a manager reaching playoff rounds?

The Yanks hierarchy is in shambles.

CharlieDontSurf 10-18-2007 04:08 PM

Ok. thats all they need to say bye bye Joe

Franchise 60 10-18-2007 04:09 PM

This is like by far the worst thing for the Yankees. Because it shows that they didn't think Mattingly was ready to take over, and now thats exactly what will be happening it seems.

Not really how you want your "manager of the future's" career to start.

CharlieDontSurf 10-18-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe paying him $5 million a year makes him the highest paid manager in the game...thats pretty nice given the last two years your team has had nearly a 200 million payroll but laid a egg in the first round both times.

Mondogarage 10-18-2007 04:09 PM

Actually, sounds like Joe said bye bye to them. Joe deserves better, and the Yankees don't deserve to have such a class act managing them.

hoyasnaxa 10-18-2007 04:10 PM

Wow, this is way bigger news now.

JordanIB 10-18-2007 04:11 PM

Yankees say they are now "beginning a search for a new manager" in the words of Mike Francessa.

CharlieDontSurf 10-18-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, sounds like Joe said bye bye to them. Joe deserves better, and the Yankees don't deserve to have such a class act managing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a yankee fan all I can say to this is give me [censored] break

Kneel B4 Zod 10-18-2007 04:11 PM

what a confusing story. I wonder how this news broke first

JordanIB 10-18-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe paying him $5 million a year makes him the highest paid manager in the game...thats pretty nice given the last two years your team has had nearly a 200 million payroll but laid a egg in the first round both times.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also a 25% pay cut. Why? Because his "ace" was [censored] in the playoffs and Joba threw a wild pitch.

If you don't want him back, then don't bring him back. What's the point of wanting him back but demanding he take less pay?

nutshot2 10-18-2007 04:12 PM

THANK GOD

kidcolin 10-18-2007 04:12 PM

Good for Torre. Good for the Yankees. Looks like everyone wins.

edit: Until of course LaRussa is signed. Then it's just going to be awesome for everyone sans the Yankees.

Triumph36 10-18-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I am sure that Joe Torre will find teams lining up to pay him $5 million a year.

CharlieDontSurf 10-18-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also a 25% pay cut. Why? Because his "ace" was [censored] in the playoffs and Joba threw a wild pitch.

If you don't want him back, then don't bring him back. What's the point of wanting him back but demanding he take less pay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's not worth the salary we have been paying him.

Triumph36 10-18-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You pay for performance. If it's Joe's doing that the team won the World Series, then it's Joe's doing that the team didn't win the World Series.

I don't blame Torre - they negotiated him into a corner and thought he'd sign up for this. He didn't. Blah.

Karak567 10-18-2007 04:15 PM

at first i thought this was a solid move

bring him back for one year as insurance to make sure that rivera, posada and possibly a-rod resign and then don't exercise his option

now this is a bit of a cluster [censored]

im not sure what to make of this

yeotaJMU 10-18-2007 04:16 PM

damn just caught this on espn news... this sucks

Franchise 60 10-18-2007 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Until of course LaRussa is signed. Then it's just going to be awesome for everyone sans the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

God please no...

JordanIB 10-18-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's not worth the salary we have been paying him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pls explain the factors that go into deciding he's worth $5 million but not $7.5. And on top of that, he's only worth $3 mil more if he win the World Series? The team certainly benefits a lot more than that if he does.

To me, you either make the decision that he's the best man for your job, or he's not. Not that's he's the best man at x price. It's not a player we're talking about where a contract value can vary in the tens of millions based on this decisions. It's $2.5 mil. To the richest team in the sport.

RedRover 10-18-2007 04:18 PM

haha hilarious. if i was in joe's spot (financially secure and sure to find another job) i would love to tell them to [censored] off after that debacle.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-18-2007 04:18 PM

my guess is Torre wanted more than a 1 year deal so he didn't have to go through all this BS again next year.

Borgland 10-18-2007 04:18 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3069115

CharlieDontSurf 10-18-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

bring him back for one year as insurance to make sure that rivera, posada and possibly a-rod resign and then don't exercise his option

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was win win for Yankees.

They obv don't want him back but didn't want to a:fire him b: act like they had no interest in him.

They made him a very fair offer: He said no thanks

Now the Yanks can say we tried but Joe wasn't interested..we wish him the best of luck blah blah blah.

Mo and Posada can't blame the Yanks for letting Torre go. Torre decided he didn't want to manage the Yanks anymore.

Karak567 10-18-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Until of course LaRussa is signed. Then it's just going to be awesome for everyone sans the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

God please no...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, LaRussa would be horrible for the Yanks.

I think the attitude on the Yanks thread here all year has been that Torre is not managing the bullpen correctly at all. At one point Triumph even told me I could probably manage the bullpen better, haha.

However, bringing Torre back could heavily influence Rivera, Posada and A-Rod. That is really important.

Wynton 10-18-2007 04:20 PM

Wow, it's hard to imagine how they could have made more of a mockery of the whole process. Offering him a paycut and a 1 year deal sounds like they were just begging him to turn it down. The whole thing is so transparent that they now look silly.

Triumph36 10-18-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my guess is Torre wanted more than a 1 year deal so he didn't have to go through all this BS again next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wouldn't have to. it's obvious that the directive was win the WS or you're fired.

i am just surprised that the yankees would announce such an offer, presuming that torre would take it - now both sides look like [censored]

JordanIB 10-18-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was win win for Yankees.

They obv don't want him back but didn't want to a:fire him b: act like they had no interest in him.

They made him a very fair offer: He said no thanks

Now the Yanks can say we tried but Joe wasn't interested..we wish him the best of luck blah blah blah.

Mo and Posada can't blame the Yanks for letting Torre go. Torre decided he didn't want to manage the Yanks anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mo and Posada aren't idiots. They know what just happened.

Borgland 10-18-2007 04:21 PM

I hope Torre sits out a year then comes back to the Braves after Cox retires after the 2008 season.