Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Review one whiskey (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327873)

El Diablo 02-09-2007 03:17 PM

Review one whiskey

OK. That's the deal.

Review one whiskey.

That's how every post starts. You are welcome to write more, respond to posts, etc. But before you do that, the post must start with you reviewing one whiskey. Doesn't need to be an essay. Just a review. Short and simple is fine. Bourbon, Tennessee, Scotch, Irish, whatever. Anything goes. Any price point. In fact, the wider the price point covered in this thread the better.

Here's a link to my OOT Whiskey Recommendation thread. Hopefully this thread will get a little deeper content.

I'll get this one started w/ one of my all-time favorites and my standard recommendation to new scotch drinkers who want to buy their first nicer bottle.

Balvenie 12yo Doublewood Scotch Whisky. This scotch is about $35 (please include prices in your review, this varies regionally, but bevmo.com is a good place to look). It's aged in traditional bourbon oak barrels first, to give it the classic Speyside Scotch flavor, which is smokey with a bit of an oaky taste, but very smooth and refined and with very little peaty taste. The aging of this scotch is finished in sherry casks, which adds another flavor element to make this even more complex while adding a hint of sweetness that makes this even smoother. This scotch really illustrates how you can make a whisky that has a very complex flavor and nice, sharp, kick to it, while at the same time being very smooth and easy to drink.

dylan's alias 02-09-2007 03:49 PM

Re: Review one whiskey

This one is not for the novice.

Lagavulin 16 yr old - (I think I paid about $70 for the bottle)

Probably the antithesis to the Balvenie Doublewood (also a favorite), the Lagavulin is deeply smoky, peaty and a little harsh. It benefits greatly from a little splash of water (as most Scotches do), mellowing the attack and bringing the flavors to the surface.

Mike Gallo 02-09-2007 04:00 PM

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year bourbon

This bourbon comes in 107 proof or 90 proof. It costs $28.99 in my local liquor store.

I drink the 107 proof with a splash of spring water and two ice cubes. It has a hint of caramel, it is complex yet very smooth. I enjoy smoking a Montecristo # 2 cigar with my cocktail.

http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs...r90pBottle.jpg

adsman 02-09-2007 04:02 PM

Bowmore Islay 12 year old single malt. A friend brought this over for me last year and I got hooked on it. It has the usual peat and smoky palate but it is nicely balanced with a slightly sweet taste of honey. The flavors are long and complex. It's a real, 'sitting around the fire in the winter' scotch. It retails for £25 in the UK, not sure about the US.

guids 02-09-2007 04:05 PM

http://www.cheekyliving.com/wp-conte...beamblack1.jpg

This is my favorite budget bourbon, its about 18$/bottle, and stands up to a lot of bourbons that cost 10 to 15$ more. I would say its better than more expensive bourbons, but there isnt a consistent quality from bottle to bottle, sometimes, I buy a bottle and it is absolutely great, smooth, full of sweetness, caramal, and vanilla, with a nice warm punch in your chest. Other times, its just meh.

firstyearclay 02-09-2007 04:30 PM

SWEET THREAD!

I am no Scotch/whiskey afficiando, but I have had some good Scotch over the last month or so. So far this has been KING:

http://www.themacallan.com/img/bottl...yr_old_pop.jpg
Macallan Sherry Oak - 18 Years Old.

Voted best whisky in the world by Whisky Magazine in 2004.

The Macallan's benchmark excellence is nowhere more evident than in the 18 Years Old expression.

"Due to the unfailing regularity with which it wins, we no longer include The Macallan 18 year old in our malt tastings. We have instead enshrined it in our hall of fame."
US Quarterly Review
TASTING NOTES

Colour:
Light Mahogany.

Nose:
Dried fruits and ginger with hints of citrus, vanilla and cinnamon.

Palate:
Rich dried fruits, spice, clove, orange and wood smoke.

Finish:
Full dried fruits and sweet toffee, with a hint of ginger and wood smoke.

Winner of Gold Medal at the International Spirits Challenge awards.

I have compared this against ~5 or so other Whiskey's and this is just perfection. This tastes like butter. I have been inspired again to enjoy the finer points of alcohol.

Sincere thanks to EL D and friends for the Whiskey recommendation thread that led me down this path. If I get a DUI, I will PM you the bill.

I have a bottle on my counter right now. Tasting is at 8:30pm EST. I paid $127.72.

FYC

Audi 02-09-2007 05:11 PM

Hope this doesn't upset the serious whiskey drinkers. Just snapped this bottle....

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/9...skeyvc9.th.jpg

Argentine whiskey.....The Breeder's Choice.
10pesos per bottle ($3.30).

There is actually a suggestion of smokey/oakey flavour.

Gives evil hangovers.

bellytimber 02-09-2007 09:16 PM

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1374/ryeds9.jpg

If you've never tried rye, this is not a bad way to dip your toe in. Your toe will get singed off, but forget about that and concentrate on the taste, which at first I find to be oily and pleasantly bittersweet, but then quickly crescendos into a bloodbath of oak, pistol smoke, and indian killing testosterone. (Feathers.) The label says "Mild and Mellow"...a hilarious joke. A desperate lie.

Do you walk around the world quoting Doc Holliday, or trying to create situations where you might get to quote him? Well looky here! A wagon wheel! Well, no, this is no wagon wheel...it's rye whiskey. Skin this smokewagon.

IronFly 02-09-2007 09:33 PM

Woodford Reserve

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ottle_2005.jpg

Got it as a gift from a friend. Around $40 for a 750 mL bottle, I believe.

Carmel overtones, light aftertaste, smooth and easy. Nice sipping bourbon. I enjoy it.

Also, I just found about this "American Whiskey Trail". Sounds like fun!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Whiskey_Trail

Los Feliz Slim 02-09-2007 09:55 PM

Laphroaig 10 yr

Having some right now on the rocks, which is how I prefer it. Peaty, smoky, and dry. Strong without being overpowering, sharper than it is round. I don't know what it costs, got it as a gift.

Was given a 25 year old Bowmore this week, but I'm not a huge fan. Plan on trying to trade it for something else at the local liquor store, if they'll do it. Suggestions welcome, pls, I think I should be able to get something in the ~$150 range.

Banks2334 02-10-2007 04:14 AM

Blanton's Bourbon. $50

You may recognize it as being the round faceted bottle with the horse stopper on top.
A traditional Kentucky Whiskey. Single barrel, non-blended. Deep amber color with a caramel/toffee nose upon opening. I prefer a small ice cube or splash of cool water while drinking it. There's a hint of vanilla in addition to the caramel/toffee flavors upon drinking. A classic "warm", maybe even peppery type finish. I'm also a big fan of Booker's but find the 120 proof too be a bit much after awhile. I view Blanton's almost as a Booker's lite. Well worth the $50 investment.

bd8802 02-10-2007 11:39 AM

Talisker 10 (52$ at bevmo, about the same locally here)

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/3553.jpg

After drinking Balvenie Doublewood 12 and Macallen 10, I wanted to try something a little different that was not a Highland scotch. I am very much a novice scotch drinker, so I do not have the command of the flavors that others do, but you can instantly tell that this scotch is not like the ones i have drank before. It has a much stronger bite to it. I would assume that is because of the peatyness of this scotch over the others I have drank. I still found this very drinkable and enjoyable. It might not be as smooth as some, but I think it has some distinct characteristics that make it stand out from the crowd. I would recommend trying it as a third or fourth bottle of scotch a novice would buy.

dcasper70 02-12-2007 12:23 PM

As a complete whiskey noob, but determined to see the light, I found myself at an upscale restaurant this past Sunday for a nice little reception.

With an open bar that had close to 30 different whiskeys!!!

My bro-in-law is a whiskey drinker, and with his support (if I didn't like it, he'd drink it) we ordered a snifter of Laphroaig 15 yo (him) and Oban 14yr (me).
I must say that I thouroughly enjoyed both of these drinks.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/8660/obangrfh4.jpg
The Oban was the lighter of the two, with a nice golden appearance. I noticed a pleasant malty/smoky aroma, which carried through to the taste (along with a spicy hint). Rather warming experience in the back of my mouth.
The finish was smooth and malty. I was generally pleased with this choice.

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/2909/laffe15rc0.jpg
Darker in color compared to the Oban, and a heavier smoke scent (which I really liked). I don't know how to really describe it, but it was like drinking liquid smoke, and I loved it! The flavor lingered with me for longer than the Oban, and if I didn't have a long ride home, I would have needed more!

I need to find more open bar events!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Edit: total price for these 2 drinks at bar would have been $14.
Oban ~ $40
Laphroaig ~ $35

Kneel B4 Zod 02-12-2007 12:37 PM

Re: Review one whiskey *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo

02-12-2007 01:15 PM

Lagavulin Special Release 12 Years Old Cask Strength (~$80)

Nose: Lots of smoke and peat. Some sweetness.

Taste: Smoke and salt. When you add a few drops of water it gets a little sweeter. Long dry finish.

Highly recommended [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am going to a Islay-tasting on friday, and if there is any interest, I could post a trip-report.

darkcore 02-13-2007 06:48 AM

Glenmorangie 12 Years Old

http://www.hps-pigging.com/userimage...enmorangie.jpg

Glenmorangie is highland malt with a golden color. It has a full, warm and sweet taste, quite different to the more medicine like islay malts like laphorig. You can buy this whiskey with different finishes, meaning that for the last part of the maturing the whiskey is transfered to former wine-casks. Depending on the cask this gives the whiskey not only a different depth of color, but a slightly different taste as well.

Taste:
Madeira Wood Finish: Spicy with a taste of citrus fruit and honey, dry finish
Port Wood Finish: Full and soft, with a taste of citrus fruit.
Sherry Wood Finish: Haven't tried yet

Price: ~$45

Glenmorangie is a very good all around whiskey and many of my non whisky drinking friends enjoyed a glass.

W. Deranged 02-13-2007 02:27 PM

IronFly,

I like the Woodford quite a bit. I definitely agree on the clear caramel character, but, interestingly, the flavor that dominated my palate the first time I had it was actually mint. This may have been like 50% psychosomatic (juleps on the mind) but there is a kind of refreshing aromatic character layered on the caramel that I like a lot.

LuckOfTheDraw 02-13-2007 11:36 PM

The Balvenie 10 Year
About $35.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5646/10210je0.jpg

Scotch noob here, so I can't get too complex with my description, but I'll try. The fragrance has a strong citrus kick to it. Taken with a splash of water, I found it very pleasant. It's smooth from the tip of the tongue all of the way through to the palate. The citrus element is still there but there is a sweetness to the scotch that is prevalent as soon as you taste it.

I haven't tried the 12 Year Double Wood, but will probably pick it up sometime soon. El D, I know you've had both, how do they compare?

Kneel B4 Zod 02-13-2007 11:45 PM

reviewing Oban 14 for the second time in this thread, hope I don't break the rules again. Paid $42 at the New Hampshire State Liqour store

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produ...ls/oban_gr.jpg

This is pretty medium in color and aroma. The aroma does remind me of some cognac I have had. Very easy to drink, little burn. Some tastes I picked up were caramel and toffee, along with an overall fruity taste, and just a touch of peatyness. Overall, very nice, would buy again.

Reckless1der 02-14-2007 04:07 AM

I finished my bottle of the Mac 12 tonight.
Review: It is Love in a bottle.

Luckily I still have my mistress in the cabinet,
the Belvenie 12 Doublewood.

Single Malt No Ka OI

KDawg 02-15-2007 02:48 AM

Highland Park 12 (orkney islands)

note: I drank this out of a glass designed by Riedel for single malt whisky and have fast fallen in love with drinking from this glass (I also need to note that my writing is gonna be a bit off as I've just had some wine before this)

color: a golden mahogany

nose: some subtle smoke and peat to it with possible cinnamon undertones(again, my nose is a bit off after having it full of shiraz for the past two hours, so some of that may be coming through)

taste: very nice going down. May be due to the glass as I've noticed that its taken away from some of the initial fire. Long finish that hits the back palate real nice. Still getting the smoke flavors that I got on the nose

overall: very nice though young. I'm very looking forward to trying the highland park 18 at some point in the near future(as in the next 6-8 months). It has a very nice finish and is very drinkable though not fully for the faint of heart

ElSapo 02-15-2007 10:22 AM

Corner Creek

http://www.cornercreekbourbon.com/Re.../ccbottle2.gif

This one is an eight-year Kentucky "value" - I get this at my liquor store for about $20 a bottle, but it drinks like it's much nicer and apparently others feel the same because they have trouble stocking it. It's not nearly as sweet as something like Makers. Tends to have a slight caramel flavor. It's not the smoothest out there, but I drink it neat as an every-day type bourbon.

El Diablo 02-15-2007 03:49 PM

Booker's Bourbon ($55, BevMo)

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produ...bookers_gr.jpg

This is a relatively expensive, cask strength Bourbon. It is 120+ proof, which means it's like fire.

The first thing you get from this is the intensely strong alcohol, almost burning your mouth. A few drops of water definitely helps here. And drink smaller sips than you might with other bourbons.

Once you let it linger in your mouth a bit, though, you'll realize that it has a really deep flavor, not sweet, but very flavorful and well rounded. Oaky and smoky with hints of fruit/vanilla/whatever sweetness to round it out. The initial hit of alcohol fades and leaves a nice, long, lingering taste. Very smooth finish for a bourbon this strong.

This is too strong for my taste to be an everyday whiskey, but on occassion after a few drinks I like to finish the evening off slowly sipping on a Booker's. Really nice, and also goes really well with cigars.

Now, some comments on other reviews (I missed a couple, but thanks to everyone for the awesome contributions!). Remember, ALL POSTS IN THIS THREAD MUST START WITH A REVIEW, OTHERWISE THEY'LL BE DELETED:

Sapo: That has come highly recommended to me as a great value, I'll give it a try.

K: Highland Park is excellent. It's another one that I recommend very highly along with the Balvenie for people getting into scotch. Very nice and smooth, not quite as sweet as the Balvenie.

K: Oban, along with Dalwhinnie, is one I frequently recommend to people who want to start trying out some slightly peatier scotch. Very nice one.

L: That Balvenie 10 is nice, but for not about the same price, I think the 12yo is much nicer. It's a little bit smoother and a little bit sweeter. If you found the 10 to be a bit on the sweet side, you might think the 12yo is too fruity, though. I think it's just right to balance the pretty full scotch flavor.

W: That was just barely enough of a review to keep me from deleting it!

dark: Those Glenmorangies are nice, but a little pricey. I think for the price you can get better stuff.

Lars: Oh my, that sounds phenomenal I will def look out for it, and DEFINITELY post a trip report. I have a review of the 12yo cask strength Laphroaig in the OOT thread (linked in OP). That's currently my favorite whiskey.

d: The Oban is sort of an intro to peaty scotch. The Laphroaig is the real deal. You should check out some different varieties of Laphroaig and also get some Lagavulin. Those are the two kings of peaty scotch!

bd: Talisker is really good stuff. It is a little peatier than the Oban and Dalwhinnie, sort of the next step before hitting the super peaty scotches. I am a big fan. That 10 is a nice scotch. The ones aged more get a little smoother.

Banks: Blanton's is one of my favorites. Nice review, agree completely, though I go with a few drops of water rather than a whole ice cube in that tasty bourbon!

belly: That sounds like exactly how I would review Old Overholt Rye. Harsh and knocks your socks off, but hell, you're drinking rye.

Audi: Any and all reviews are welcome and appreciated!

Iron: Woodford is one of my standards to order at a bar, but as you'll see when we get into more bourbons in this thread, I think you can do a little better for the money. Woodford is definitely very nice and smooth with a really good flavor.

fyc: Macallan 18 is definitely a top notch scotch.

quids: We'll get into some other bourbons in this thread and get you some recommendations for under $20 that I think you'll really like.

ads: I enjoy the Bowmores quite a bit and will get around to reviewing a couple of them.

Mike: Old Rip van Winkle is really good stuff.

dylan: Lagavulin 16 is one of the most delicious heavy peat scotches around.

private joker 02-15-2007 04:49 PM

OK, I'll write the standard "cheap" whiskey 101 review for novices. Since this thread is full of great but expensive/rare whiskeys, what should you get when you're just at a bar and want a regular drinkin' whiskey that isn't Jack Daniels or Knob Creek or Seagram's?

My favorite is Jameson:

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produ...on_1780_gr.jpg

It's a smooth Irish whiskey with the typical properties of an Irish, like Bushmills if you know that one. It tastes good if you just have it neat or on the rocks, but if you prefer mixing it (looked down upon by many), I recommend having it with 7-up and a lime wedge. This is my favorite mixed whiskey cocktail.

bd8802 02-15-2007 08:23 PM

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/9716.jpg

Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey - 20$

This stuff is SO smooth. I like going to Irish pubs and eating some fish and chips and having a nice Irish whiskey. Tullamore Dew has become my standby Irish whiskey. It is lighter than the scotches I drink. It has a nice little bite to it, and unlike some of the peatier scotches I have it has little to no lingering aftertaste.

I personally don't have a refined palate to be able to tell you hints of X and Y. I like it and it is smooth and has a nice bite that is refreshing but not Bourbon heavy.

I find that I can really drink a lot of this stuff.

ElD - I am going to buy me a new bottle of scotch soon. I am thinking Macallan Cask Strength or Laporaig Quarter Cask. Or do you think I should start off Laporaig drinking with the 10 or 15 instead? I know I can find those, the Quarter Cask might be a bit of a chore.

Gelford 02-17-2007 10:44 PM

I'll bend the rules here simply to draw attention so something that is imo essensial to whisky drinking, and that is knowledge of scottish geography. There are districts and those usually come with their own brand of whiskys.

My favorate part is the island Islay. It all comes down to what one prefers in a drink, but .. I like smokey and complex and Islay offers that.

My two favorites are Laproigh and especially The Lagavulin (16 years), the ten year old laproigh is a bit harsh and lacking slightly immature, but the older are really good. The Lagavullin has always been my favorite.

There is also The Caol Ila (18 year old is what I have, but they are all fairly good) and the now closed Port Ellen, the latter I've never tasted, but it is supposedly very good.

My least favorite is the Ardbeg (15 years), that is smokey, but light ... and also The Bowmore is too dark and heavy, allthough I've only tasted the 12 year old Bowmore.

These reviews are very superficial, as I wanted to draw attention to Islay more than the indivial whiskys. It is a wonderful district, everything is very smokey with lots of character ... highly recommended!

Allthough when I feel in the need of something more civil I always turn to the Dalwhinnie (15 years) (Again no review, but there are not that many whiskys around, so I want to leave a bit space for others)

Also I do not know if it has been mentioned, but Michael Jackson has written a book, where he reviews all of Scotlands whiskys and then some, a classic book.

And to BD asking which whisky to start with, I'd say the Lagavulin else go with the 15 year old Laiphroigh or Dalwhinnie.

dcasper70 02-20-2007 10:24 AM

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/97/lagavulinqj6.jpg

Lagavulin 16yo
Strength: 43% ABV
Appearance: Deep amber.
Nose: Heavy, velvety smoke with a touch of sweetness (a hint of vanilla???).
Taste: The smoke fills the palate, followed by a salty wood flavor. Other online reviews mention a sweetness coming from the sherry casks.
Finish: The dry peaty smoke stayed with me for a very long time. Extremely pleasing. I'm very glad I bought this bottle.
Price: $45

Is this what I should expect from other Isley brands? If so, I need to plan a trip...

Kneel B4 Zod 02-20-2007 11:46 AM

Balvenie 15:

After drinking the Balvenie 12, I wanted to see how different the 15 was. it has a lot of similar tastes, but a couple things stood out:

I thought the aroma was harsher than the 12. Cedery tastes are evident. Also tasted some vanilla. I thought the taste was a touch smoother than the 12, but I liked both a lot.

Whiskey Drinkers,

How many bottles do you keep around the house? I've recently gotten into scotch and wanted to pick up different things to try, so I bought a few different bottles. Plus it's kind of addicting to have a bunch of different bottles, but not in a weird alcoholic way. I think.

anyways, I currently have bottles of:

Balvenie 12 (almost gone)
Balvenie 15 (this and the others are about half full or more)
Macallan 12
Highland Park 12
Oban 14
Glenmorangie 15

emil3000 02-20-2007 03:05 PM

http://www.whiskyguiden.se/Bilder/QuarterCask.jpg

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Me and friends drank this one on a train ride from the northern part of Sweden to Berlin last summer. I can't quite call the specifics of it, but I clearly remember it as being excellent. Most people into scotch have had a lot of Laphroaig already. This is sort of a change up of the old Laproaig recipe, same style, but a bit stronger and with some interesting flavors and a high complexity. Still it is in an acceptable price range, similar to the classic Laphroid 10yo.

Highly recommended for Islay lovers who want to try something new.

matt2500 02-20-2007 04:11 PM

Knob Creek Bourbon

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/1616.jpg

Maker's Mark used to be my baseline bourbon, and I still like it quite a bit. But in the last couple of years, I've moved up to Knob Creek, which is a very smooth sipping bourbon. I don't like Maker's up, as it's got more of a bite to it than I usually like, whereas Knob Creek is a perfect bourbon to drink neat. Knob Creek has a very rich flavor that's not smoky, so much as, hmm, full-bodied I guess is the term. This is a nice sittin'-on-the-porch whiskey to enjoy with a cigar.

ElDiablo recommended Woodford Reserve to me a while back in an OOT whiskey thread, and I must say that may even supplant Knob Creek, as I've found my local liquor store now stocks it. It is a very nice upgrade from Knob Creek, for only a few dollars more per bottle.

Finally, I recently discovered that the bar at my local cardroom and casino has Booker's up on the top shelf. I was about to order a Knob Creek there a few weeks back, when I saw the Booker's and gave it a try. I must say, this was a transcendent bourbon-drinking experience for me. I noticed the high alcohol content, but what really struck me was the smokiness and the underlying sweetness (vanilla, I guess, is what BevMo calls it). I'd never tasted another bourbon like it.

The alcohol content, though. Whew! I had one more, and was feeling the booze, even though I'd been munching on finger food, and nursed the two drinks for a good half-hour each. This is not an everyday bourbon, but a break out for special occasions (like after a five-star meal) kind of drink.

bd8802 02-20-2007 11:19 PM

This is quickly becoming an obsession.

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produ...ls/oban_gr.jpg

After being much heralded, I tried Oban 14 while out with friends this weekend. The first thing I noticed is that it was much deeper of a color than the Macallan that I had previously, also had a much stronger nose. When I say stronger I do not mean that in a bad way. Another thing I noticed is that glasses do matter. The brandy glass that I was using was MUCH better than the glasses i used at home. I got a much better smell of the scotch.

It's taste was not as silky as other that I have tired. It was a little more coarse. It was really different but also interesting and refreshing. I noticed maybe a hint of mint on the tip of the tongue which really went well with the peat and earthy flavors at the back of the mouth.

I liked Oban 14 so much that I think I drank about 6 more over the course of the night. Also over the course of the last couple weeks I have not added any ice or water to my scotch drinking. This has made a huge difference. As a noob I was told to add some ice, what a mistake.

One last piece of good news. I acquired a bottle of Balvenie Portwood 21 for 83$ today. I am excited to crack it open at the next special occasion.

Maulik 02-21-2007 01:48 PM

guids,

For budget, consider:

http://www.coolhunting.com/images/bulleit.jpg. Far superior to Wild Turkey, Jack, Jim. For my review, coming this weekend: BOWMORE ISLAY Scotch Whiskey, 12 year.

ED: Maulik, I am gonna let that one slide, pretending that that is a really crapass review of bulleit. BTW, for about the same price as Bulleit, WL Weller 12 ($23.99 BevMo http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp?sku...p;area=spirits) gets WAY better reviews, often way up there w/ $50 bottles.

MrWookie 02-23-2007 10:10 PM

Last night, there was a bottle of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve Bourbon floating around the party I was at, and I was lucky to get to try some of it before it evaporated.

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/78633.jpg

This runs $30 at bevmo.com, so you non-Californians will probably pay more in your respective liquor stores. This bourbon tasted somewhat smooth, but not as much as the Eagle Rare. It had some good woodiness and some hints of classic bourbon flavors like apple and vanilla. Really, though, this one wasn't all that deep or exciting. I much preferred Knob Creek and W. L. Weller, and they both cost less. I'd definitely recommend anyone shopping for a mid-level bourbon to look elsewhere.

dcasper70 02-25-2007 10:28 PM

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2...ntine12am1.jpg

Went to dinner at the in-laws tonight. When I mentioned my increased desire for scotch, mom-in-law fetched from the garage an unopened bottle of Ballentine 12yo that she had been given BACK IN 1984!!!! If only it had spent that extra 23 years in a cask...

Not a bad drink. A honey/amber color, sweet smelling (caramel, vanilla). Mild to the tounge and a nice creamy feel in the mouth. A fine honey oak finish.
Compared to my last 3 reviews, I definitely prefer peatier, but I would happily drink this again.

milesdyson 02-26-2007 03:23 AM

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/60797.jpg

Eagle Rare 10yr Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I drank about 1oz of it neat tonight. It is probably the smoothest I've ever had. Sweet and slightly "oaky." Not quite as sweet as JD single barrel but close if I recall correctly.

Price is about $30-$40 or so - very good bourbon.

JoseRijo 02-26-2007 04:27 PM

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/2203.jpg
Isle of Jura - Single Malt Scotch
A few years ago, my dad traveled regularly to Scotland on business. He brought back a ton of different scotches, and this one is my favorite. I'd describe it as the anti-Laphroaig: it has a sweet taste with hints of orange and butterscotch. But this is a real scotch with a smooth but discernable scotch (oak?) finish.

I'd recommend Isle of Jura to novice Scotch drinkers because of its smoothness, and to regular Scotch drinkers because of its complexitity and originality.

dcasper70 02-27-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Talisker 10 (52$ at bevmo, about the same locally here)

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/3553.jpg

After drinking Balvenie Doublewood 12 and Macallen 10, I wanted to try something a little different that was not a Highland scotch. I am very much a novice scotch drinker, so I do not have the command of the flavors that others do, but you can instantly tell that this scotch is not like the ones i have drank before. It has a much stronger bite to it. I would assume that is because of the peatyness of this scotch over the others I have drank. I still found this very drinkable and enjoyable. It might not be as smooth as some, but I think it has some distinct characteristics that make it stand out from the crowd. I would recommend trying it as a third or fourth bottle of scotch a novice would buy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Enjoying my first taste of this right now, but coming from a different perspective.
Having entered the scotch world throu Oban, Laphroaig and Lagavulin, this Talisker seems milder to me.
Seems to be relatively dry (if that's a scotch description), and the flavor doesn't linger as long as the others I've reviewed.. Still a good peat-smoke flavor, which I like.
$44 in CT

I had no clue I'd like scotch so much.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Los Feliz Slim 03-03-2007 01:32 AM

Bowmore 25 year

http://www.delux.cz/img/large/101387.jpg

Sweet caramel-honey aroma, very drinkable and a great recommendation for a high-end Scotch that a relative novice might appreciate. A lot of "older" Scotches are pretty challenging and pungent, this one is quite drinkable. Not very peaty; not much iodine, rather quite smoky. Very, very, solid, and a great Scotch to offer someone as a celebratory drink.

Spellmen 03-03-2007 09:21 PM

Went to the liquor store today to pick up a Scotch on some recommendations here. My aim was the Oban 14 year, but when I spotted it the pricetag was $60. I'm a real scotch noob, so I really didn't want to jump into anything above $40 quite yet. We kept looking and my friend called his father for some recommendations. I spotted the Bellvanie 12 yr for $41, but his father recommended we start out with McClelland's highland scotch, which was only $24. He basically said any highland would be best for a beginner, so we grabbed the McClellands and some other junk and checked out.

It had a pretty mild aroma from what I can tell (I haven't smelled many other scotches and have tasted even fewer). I poured myself a bit and added some ice. Nothing really spectacular jumped out at me upon tasting and I'm still not really picking anything up. It is pretty mild, so I don't mind drinking it, but other all it is very bleh.

For $24 I guess it's ok, but nothing I would recommend. Not offensive, but not really great. My roomate is a bit more experienced and says it has a nice smokey aftertaste.

Anyone have any recommendations for me? Should I have definitely gone with the Belvanie? I am mainly looking for something that is pretty smooth (at least to start with)but still has some nice flavor http://www.suntory.com/about/news/2004/img/8843.jpg

Grasshopp3r 03-04-2007 01:57 AM

Clontarf Reserve Irish Whiskey
$24 at my local liquor store

This Irish is shockingly good for the price. Very smooth and malty. This one was reviewed in Money magazine and I tried it on a lark.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...mag/index.html

I also like George T Staggs bourbon, which is cask strength like Bookers. It is $65 or so. It has lots of flavor and is smooth.