Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   some facts/opinions on A-rod (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516771)

scorer 10-06-2007 07:11 AM

some facts/opinions on A-rod

im not a yankee fan but let's look at the realistic numbers for A-rod. You can't critique his numbers in the playoffs as the sample size is too small. When he got up in the 8th or 9th with a runner in scoring position he had at best a 25 to 30 percent chance to get a hit, so when he doesnt he falls into what will happen the majority of the time. He was hitting .276 in the post season before the 2 games he played in this year. Some comparisons, Ramirez has a slighly lower BA in the playoffs then Ariod and if u think vladamir Geuuerrera from the angels is so great he is hitting around .220 in 16 post season games. While i will agree hes not stellar in the post season the sample size is just too small and even with that sample size he has similiar home runs to ramirez pro rated in the post season. He is clearly the MVP and expectrations from him are to high, this guy isnt gonna hit .700 in the post season. My friend thinks the fans will bo him out of NY, i say nonsense..thoughts

THAY3R 10-06-2007 07:33 AM

Re: some facts/opinions on A-rod

The fans will boo him out of NY, but they will be retarded.

Jeter had a 6-44 stretch in the playoffs before.

Assani Fisher 10-06-2007 07:34 AM

agree with your overall point, but disagree with you last sentence: If he goes 0/4 the fans will boo him because they're idiots.

JuntMonkey 10-06-2007 11:40 AM

That's going to be hilarious when they boo him after 1 for 4 in a loss tomorrow.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-06-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't critique his numbers in the playoffs as the sample size is too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to Joe 6 Pack!

technologic 10-06-2007 11:43 AM

all of this is moot because he will hit 4-5, 3 HR, 12 RBI, 2 SB, 1 IBB in the bronx

JuntMonkey 10-06-2007 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all of this is moot because he will hit 4-5, 3 HR, 12 RBI, 2 SB, 1 IBB in the bronx

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Game 4 though?

Mondogarage 10-06-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't critique his numbers in the playoffs as the sample size is too small.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell that to Joe 6 Pack!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell Joe 6 Pack to slap his daddy for having such a terrible name.

RandomUser 10-06-2007 12:17 PM

Very very few hitters do well in the post season, the level of pitching is so superior to what you get in the regular season on average.

What typically gets remembered is some noname who has the game/series of his life and suddenly he is considered 'Mr Clutch' because he picked the right time to get hot.

What Yankee fans will ignore is that they wouldn't even have made the playoffs without ARod having the year he had.

disjunction 10-06-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What Yankee fans will ignore is that they wouldn't even have made the playoffs without ARod having the year he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not for or against ARod, but presumably they would have spent the money (that they take in from their large and dedicated fan base) on two or three other players.

bottomset 10-06-2007 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

along with a monster 1-8 .125/.125/.125 line through 2games right now

Los Feliz Slim 10-06-2007 12:43 PM

In the court of public opinion I would think this will make it considerably more difficult for him to negotiate his was out of his $25 million a year deal in order to get an extension at $30 million a year.

Benholio 10-06-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not for or against ARod, but presumably they would have spent the money (that they take in from their large and dedicated fan base) on two or three other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did the Yankees pay A-Rod this year, $15m? (25m - 10m from Texas?).

There is pretty much no way you find three $5m free agents that combine to be more valuable than A-Rod was this year.

Without looking at any numbers, I'm fairly confident in saying that A-Rod was the absolute best place they could have spent that money this year.

humdinger 10-06-2007 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is pretty much no way you find three $5m free agents that combine to be more valuable than A-Rod was this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And, even if they could find such free agents, the Yankees woulda signed them anyways (along with Arod). It's not like they have a budget!

hd

Kneel B4 Zod 10-06-2007 01:05 PM

also, the idea that the Yankees won't resign him b/c they will be losing the Texas money is pretty dumb. the same will be true for any team that signs him.

technologic 10-06-2007 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Game 4 though?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

vhawk01 10-06-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very very few hitters do well in the post season, the level of pitching is so superior to what you get in the regular season on average.

What typically gets remembered is some noname who has the game/series of his life and suddenly he is considered 'Mr Clutch' because he picked the right time to get hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the MLB average for BA in the regular season? What is it in the post-season? I think there is probably a difference, just because the Orioles never make the playoffs, but it is probably not as dramatic as you make it sound here. There are plenty of 10-6 games in the playoffs.

vhawk01 10-06-2007 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

g-bebe 10-06-2007 01:20 PM

a-rah [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

wiper 10-06-2007 01:50 PM

O-ROD.

pryor15 10-06-2007 02:14 PM

facts:

since the Dave Roberts steal, A-Rod is 4-47 with 2R and 0RBI in the playoffs.

since joining the Yankees, he's 0-13 in games where his team faces elimination, and very few of them have gotten out of the infield

opinions:

does that mean anything? maybe. maybe not

Kos13 10-06-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he has calm eyes, so all is forgiven.

vhawk01 10-06-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
facts:

since joining the Yankees, he's 0-13 in games where his team faces elimination, and very few of them have gotten out of the infield

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people choose some arbitrary point at Game 5 of the ALCS a few years ago to start talking about his numbers? I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs. Oh wait, his playoff numbers are pretty good. I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs in NEW YORK because ZOMG there is so much pressure in NY that other playoff games don't even count. Oh wait, his numbers aren't that good but they aren't really bad enough for us to make our ridiculous, exaggerated point. Lets pick this point here because he is in a slump right now and it will make it look way worse.

I wonder, if you asked 100 random baseball fans, what A-rods career postseason BA is, what they would say? I think they'd probably average around .150 or something. And thats EXACTLY because of selecting only the last 40 ABs or whatever. This type of selection bias is really pretty terrible and dishonest, IMO.

RedRover 10-06-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
facts:

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

since i crashed my car on wednesday we've had record high temperatures every day.

JuntMonkey 10-06-2007 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
facts:

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people choose some arbitrary point at Game 5 of the ALCS a few years ago to start talking about his numbers? I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs. Oh wait, his playoff numbers are pretty good. I thought the point was he couldn't perform in the playoffs in NEW YORK because ZOMG there is so much pressure in NY that other playoff games don't even count. Oh wait, his numbers aren't that good but they aren't really bad enough for us to make our ridiculous, exaggerated point. Lets pick this point here because he is in a slump right now and it will make it look way worse.

I wonder, if you asked 100 random baseball fans, what A-rods career postseason BA is, what they would say? I think they'd probably average around .150 or something. And thats EXACTLY because of selecting only the last 40 ABs or whatever. This type of selection bias is really pretty terrible and dishonest, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's completely standard thinking though for Joe Six-Pack as somebody said earlier, and even for most broadcasters and analysts.

wiper 10-06-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but he has calm eyes, so all is forgiven.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, unless you add a couple fruit-flies to the equation, then he's spazzing out like a retarded 12 year old.

vhawk01 10-06-2007 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
facts:

opinions:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's completely standard thinking though for Joe Six-Pack as somebody said earlier, and even for most broadcasters and analysts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I mean honestly, we shouldn't really consider Papi to be clutch since he hit all those late homeruns but he wasn't playing for the Yankees at the time. We all know thats when the pressure is REALLY on. Until he is traded to the Yankees and hits 5 or 6 walk-offs, Papi is just another regular-season stud, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

anatta 10-06-2007 02:42 PM

Look in Moneyball Billy Beane would think too much in the box and despite all the tools, he couldn't hit. Lenny Dykstra is not too bright, but with much less talent, could rake. You have all seen what the mind can do to pitchers like Ankeil, etc, or second baseman, they lose it in insane ways.

So pressure could be at work here. There could be an element of not handling the big stage the same way as normal. A-Rods approach MIGHT be changing, while Manny does his work and prepares and has figured out in the box how to relax and "think about one thing" or "see the ball, trust myself...". This might be A-rod in the regular season, but his failures in the post season, the NY fans, Jeter, it all might have conspired to overwhelm him.

Do I think this is the case? I doubt it. Could easily be the case that he is facing better pitching, bad luck, and normal variance over 40-50 AB. Players go through streaks like this all the time.

hiho 10-06-2007 02:43 PM

Fact - he sucks in the playoffs

Opinion - he won't be a Yankee next year

RandomUser 10-06-2007 02:45 PM

His postseason average with Seattle was .340 (18-53)

With New York it is .224 (19-85)

Overall is .268

bottomset 10-06-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Overall is .268

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah a .268/.357/.464 isn't terrible or anything

Jeter with a .311/.380/.473, better sure but a lot more PA to even out the slumps

DesertCat 10-06-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Overall is .268

[/ QUOTE ]

He was hitting .361 in his post season career when he hit the go ahead home run against Boston in game 4 of the ALCS in 2004. His career playoff OPS at that time was almost certainly over 1.000. That was the start of his current slump.

At the end of 2001, Jeter's career hitting in the playoffs was subpar, significantly worse than his regular season averages. But that was also at the end of his 6-43 streak that helped cost the Yankees the 2001 WS. Now his career playoff averages are about the same his regular season averages. He's had 4x as many post season ABs as A-Rod to smooth out the slumps.

CharlieDontSurf 10-06-2007 02:54 PM

Not sure who else will pony up the $220-$240 million it will take to sign him

ADLinden 10-06-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its the whole 'what have you done for me lately' mentality

Kneel B4 Zod 10-06-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure who else will pony up the $220-$240 million it will take to sign him

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas somehow did way back when

vhawk01 10-06-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its the whole 'what have you done for me lately' mentality

[/ QUOTE ]

That plus the "first impressions" thing. People hear about how un-clutch Arod is, so they believe it, and ain't nothing going to change their minds.

You think if Jeter goes 5 for his next 45 he will suddenly become a choker? That should probably drop his postseason BA below his career BA right? My guess is then all of a sudden we start hearing announcers use the phrase "sample size" a whole lot more. No one considered Tom Brady a choker when he absolutely [censored] the bed against Denver two years ago, or when he had a very pedestrian game against IND last year.

metsandfinsfan 10-06-2007 03:01 PM

maybe the gods are cursing him for that cheap play he made where he knocked the ball out of the 1b glove and pretended he didnt

DesertCat 10-06-2007 03:29 PM

At the time of his HR vs Boston in game 4, his career post season line was

.364/.411/.659

for an OPS of 1.070 in 23 games.

FWIW David Ortiz's career playoff line is

.313/.409/.578/.987 in 40 games.

DesertCat 10-06-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe the gods are cursing him for that cheap play he made where he knocked the ball out of the 1b glove and pretended he didnt

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! If he did that in the 50s he would have been renowned as a gamer who just wants to win. Leo Durocher would have kissed him. Kicking the ball out of a fielders glove during a slide was then an art form that often left the fielder slashed or spiked and started many a brawl. Todays players are pussys too concerned with showing up the opposition with aggressive play as if they are playing at a country club.

iamawesomer 10-06-2007 04:01 PM

Fact: Arod owns
Opinion: Anyone who thinks Arod doesn't own is a [censored] moran