Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Organ Donations (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512380)

Flint{$N} 09-30-2007 11:15 AM

Organ Donations

Just curious as to whether you would donate your organs (either dead or alive) and the reasoning behind your choice.

Thanks!

demon102 09-30-2007 12:23 PM

Re: Organ Donations

ya u can, when u get an drivers license (in the US) they ask u
if u wanna be an organ donor, I said yes I figure why not help someone else out if Im gonna die

daryn 09-30-2007 12:34 PM

i said no, and never really thought about it

Skipbidder 09-30-2007 12:58 PM

Yes, because I'm not a selfish [censored] moron.

Anybody who chooses not to is either really lazy, a malicious jerk, or a superstitious assbagel.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh. Paranoid schizophrenia might also be a reason for choosing not to.

mak15 09-30-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
really lazy

[/ QUOTE ]

what does being lazy have to do with it?

Los Feliz Slim 09-30-2007 01:47 PM

I've got an organ I'd like to donate...to the LADIES!

kevin017 09-30-2007 02:01 PM

i am an organ donor. I think most who aren't either haven't thought about it or are superstitious thinking the doctor's are gonna swipe their organs when they're savable.

when i first got my license i put down i didn't wanna be an organ donor, but it was for no real reason and I changed it when i renewed my license.

jjshabado 09-30-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I've never understood people who say no. Seriously, you're dead. What the [censored] do you need them for? Save a [censored] life.

jjshabado 09-30-2007 02:17 PM

Also, I think anybody that says 'no' shouldn't be considered for organ donations. Or, at the very least, they get much lower priority on waiting lists.

pergesu 09-30-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i said yes, and never really thought about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimbell175113 09-30-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn 09-30-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I've never understood people who say no. Seriously, you're dead. What the [censored] do you need them for? Save a [censored] life.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't know. i never really put a second of thought into it.

mbillie1 09-30-2007 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've got an organ I'd like to donate...to the LADIES!

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my answer too

jjshabado 09-30-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. When you renew your driver's license, please put a second of thought into it and change your answer.

ScottySo 09-30-2007 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Annorax 09-30-2007 04:49 PM

I say no because some hospitals will allow an organ donor to die so they can be harvested, but in that same situation try to save that same guy if he isn't an organ donor. They make a profit out of all those harvesting and transplanting operations, why should I let them play God with me to make a few bucks?

edfurlong 09-30-2007 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say no because some hospitals will allow an organ donor to die so they can be harvested, but in that same situation try to save that same guy if he isn't an organ donor. They make a profit out of all those harvesting and transplanting operations, why should I let them play God with me to make a few bucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

I'm not a donor, just selfish really.

Skipbidder 09-30-2007 04:52 PM

People will tell you that they don't want to spend the extra effort at the DMV.

hobbes9324 09-30-2007 04:54 PM

This is 24K pure [censored].

Not that I would know or anything. I'm just a chief of the ED at a trauma center.

MM MD

Los Feliz Slim 09-30-2007 04:57 PM

hobbes,

How much extra do you personally make when you intentionally allow someone to die so you can harvest their organs and sell them? Is it like $50, or more?

Kimbell175113 09-30-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

React1oN 09-30-2007 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]wtf?

hobbes9324 09-30-2007 05:01 PM

actually, I'll usually roll over for a happy meal. Us docs make so little, you know.....

MM MD

in48092 09-30-2007 05:35 PM

Not being an organ donor is pretty inexcusable in my book. If you're going to go out, you might as well do it in style by literally saving someone elses life. That being said, I wouldnt give a kidney or lung to someone while i'm alive unless it's a family member.

daryn 09-30-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. When you renew your driver's license, please put a second of thought into it and change your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

can't promise anything. haha

jjshabado 09-30-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is whats wrong with democracy.

jjshabado 09-30-2007 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Isn't saying YES the exact same effort as saying NO? I was just asked a question, and I answered. No extra work necessary.

Kimbell175113 09-30-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Isn't saying YES the exact same effort as saying NO? I was just asked a question, and I answered. No extra work necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you do have to sign your name.

lozen 09-30-2007 06:56 PM

Card signed and I believe that when your born your parents decide immediately if you will donate your organs if the situation arises. Also when you receive your drivers Liscence you decide also. catch is if you decide not to you are not eligible to recive an organ transplant. Some religions are so hypocritical. There religous beliefs do not allow it but more than willing to accept organs.

jjshabado 09-30-2007 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
catch is if you decide not to you are not eligible to recive an organ transplant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. I think it should be true, or like I said earlier at the least non-organ donors should be given lower priority.

pokeraz 09-30-2007 09:00 PM

There is huge shortage of donors and I think that it is because most people do not think about. I understand there some religous reasons not to and others.

However, I think that the whole shortage could be solved if it was an opt-out policy rather that opt-in.

dylan's alias 09-30-2007 09:09 PM

It wouldn't stop the whole shortage, but it would put a nice dent in the problem.

pwnsall 09-30-2007 09:11 PM

Being an organ donor should probably be a tax right off. I'd probably sell mine if I safely could.

bobman0330 09-30-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is huge shortage of donors and I think that it is because it's illegal to sell organs, for no discernable reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimbell175113 09-30-2007 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is huge shortage of donors and I think that it is because it's illegal to sell organs, for no discernable reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. I'm guessing a huge percentage of those who don't do it now because of some vague distaste at the idea would change their minds for like 50 bucks. Getting paid for something now and not giving it up until you're dead is a pretty good deal, too.

We'd have to call them something other than "donors," though.

jjshabado 09-30-2007 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think that the whole shortage could be solved if it was an opt-out policy rather that opt-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I'm sure you can tell, I feel pretty strongly about being an organ donor. But, I don't like the idea of an opt-out policy. Seems wrong to me for the Government to decide to do something with your body without your explicit permission.

KotOD 10-01-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious as to whether you would donate your organs (either dead or alive) and the reasoning behind your choice.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was, then I learned about the system and how everyone is making money off of the organs except for the donor. Rather than allowing a family to accept compensation for a deceased family member's organs, they donate them, and every person involved in the harvest, transport and transplant makes money off of it, the family makes nothing. It should be a way for families to pay for unexpected funerals, or increase their standard of living, instead, they are left with nothing.

I am no longer a donor, and I hope that others will stop donating as well. The only way to open the system is to close off the supply.

jjshabado 10-01-2007 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was, then I learned about the system and how everyone is making money off of the organs except for the donor. Rather than allowing a family to accept compensation for a deceased family member's organs, they donate them, and every person involved in the harvest, transport and transplant makes money off of it, the family makes nothing. It should be a way for families to pay for unexpected funerals, or increase their standard of living, instead, they are left with nothing.

I am no longer a donor, and I hope that others will stop donating as well. The only way to open the system is to close off the supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, let's kill people to make a silly point. Every single person involved in the process makes money for doing a service. Transporting and operating take time, effort, and money. Donating the organs you're no longer using doesn't really cost you anything.

edfurlong 10-01-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Donating the organs you're no longer using doesn't really cost you anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you end up in heaven with no butt hole or something.

jjshabado 10-01-2007 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Donating the organs you're no longer using doesn't really cost you anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you end up in heaven with no butt hole or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Jesus is there and he'll give you a hand.