Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   travel forum (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=436677)

Mat Sklansky 06-26-2007 08:47 PM

travel forum

any objections?

iron81 06-26-2007 08:58 PM

Re: travel forum

When we had it, hardly anyone used it. I think it was something like 20 posts/day and 2 or 3 people viewing. Its not something 2+2 wants.

*TT* 06-26-2007 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When we had it, hardly anyone used it. I think it was something like 20 posts/day and 2 or 3 people viewing. Its not something 2+2 wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

but then we will be missing out on great threads like this one

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

MrWookie 06-26-2007 09:08 PM

OTOH, it was a playground, so it would get lower traffic than if it had a proper name. I'm not really chomping at the bit for it, but I don't really object, either. OOT might be happy to ditch the threads that consist of nothing but "I'm going to Boston this weekend, what should I do?"

NT! 06-26-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, it was a playground, so it would get lower traffic than if it had a proper name. I'm not really chomping at the bit for it, but I don't really object, either. OOT might be happy to ditch the threads that consist of nothing but "I'm going to Boston this weekend, what should I do?"

[/ QUOTE ]

except we won't ditch them. we'll end up getting them anyway, and moving them to the travel forum, and then subsequently having to answer PMs about why the thread had to go to the travel forum when nobody posts there.

mat, i say nay, but i'm not going to [censored] a brick over it or anything

Mat Sklansky 06-26-2007 09:42 PM

it was actually made and and i quickly took it away believing that's what people wanted.

those upset by my backing out rightly point out that it wasn't given a real chance.

but maybe it doesn't deserve a chance. hence this thread.

MEbenhoe 06-26-2007 11:39 PM

I'm in the I'd rather not see it, but I'm not gonna throw a fit over it camp.

citanul 06-26-2007 11:59 PM

i think it's a good idea and i was going to enjoy modding it.

"it only got 20 posts a day" is not, i think, accurate. the forum only existed for like 2 days, and it was pretty active in that time. on top of that, it wasn't like it had a real chance to get going.

personally i think it has at least as much viability as a forum as "the gym" or whatever, especially if people use it for more than just reviews of exotic locations etc, and do some profiles of cities they live in, etc.

i don't think at this point i could personally mod it, but i know nation said he would want to mod it. i don't think he can do as good a job as i could, but i do think he'd be better than almost everyone at it.

thus: i think it should be given another chance and i think nation should be offered modship of it.

Jim Kuhn 06-27-2007 12:04 AM

I vote YES. Travel and poker are very much related. We now must look in several places for the travel threads (i.e. OOT, B&M, Eld forum, etc). I would especially like to see the Thailand and BA threads in the same forum.

I don't think the travel forum was really provided much of a chance previously. I think it was only a forum for a few days and never made it to the side bar. JMHO

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

JaredL 06-27-2007 12:20 AM

The problem I have is that I'm not sure how many people will regularly read the forum enough for there to be good advice.

Since I am from Oregon and am homesick all the [censored] time due to living in Pittsburgh, I love participating in threads about traveling through Oregon, doing stuff in Portland, etc. My favorite thread of all time is probably Clarkmeister's trip report in the el diablo forum. Apologies for the redundancy.

Similarly, I am quite fond of Spain having studied in Sevilla for a semester. I have participated in a number of threads giving advice on where to go and what to do on a trip there.

However, even with all that I don't think I will very often read the forum to scan for such threads. Most threads are going to be "What to do in X?" where X is not Oregon, Spain, or even Western Pennsylvania so I'll nearly always have no reason to go there. On occasion I'll probably go there to make a "What to do in Toronto?" or whatever post and will skim the other posts then but other than that I don't think I'll ever read it.

Again, I really like reading and posting in threads about travel to places I know a lot about. Most people are probably far less eager to post in threads about their hometowns and even less likely to seek out the travel forum in order to find such threads.

Cliff's Notes: I think the forum will feature a lot of people looking for advice but few people there to give it.

Leader 06-27-2007 12:39 AM

I'd like to see it.

*TT* 06-27-2007 01:09 AM

Question - if we start a travel forum, what types of trip reports should move there? I categorize trip reports as

1) Mostly poker trip reports. Sometimes these are kinda BBV in nature, but often its just a listing of hands and room experiences.

2) Lifestyle trip reports. Visited Vegas, Visited AC, had diner here, saw xyz show, etc.

3) Lifestyle/Poker combined trip reports

4) Balla reports - To date I usually move these to BBV because they are really brags, but I let them stay in B&M if they are more about the passion for gambling.

5) Catch-all trip reports. Travel to exotic lands, other states, weekend getaways, diner with poker friends, etc. I assume this is exactly what travel is for, but some of the categories above would fit as well.

diebitter 06-27-2007 01:37 AM

Yes it's worth a try.

Madd 06-27-2007 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick B. 06-27-2007 06:15 AM

Mat, I don't think it makes much sense.

hra146 06-27-2007 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it's worth a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I feel.

Mike Haven 06-27-2007 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem I have is that I'm not sure how many people will regularly read the forum enough for there to be good advice.

Since I am from Oregon and am homesick all the [censored] time due to living in Pittsburgh, I love participating in threads about traveling through Oregon, doing stuff in Portland, etc. My favorite thread of all time is probably Clarkmeister's trip report in the el diablo forum. Apologies for the redundancy.

Similarly, I am quite fond of Spain having studied in Sevilla for a semester. I have participated in a number of threads giving advice on where to go and what to do on a trip there.

However, even with all that I don't think I will very often read the forum to scan for such threads. Most threads are going to be "What to do in X?" where X is not Oregon, Spain, or even Western Pennsylvania so I'll nearly always have no reason to go there. On occasion I'll probably go there to make a "What to do in Toronto?" or whatever post and will skim the other posts then but other than that I don't think I'll ever read it.

Again, I really like reading and posting in threads about travel to places I know a lot about. Most people are probably far less eager to post in threads about their hometowns and even less likely to seek out the travel forum in order to find such threads.

Cliff's Notes: I think the forum will feature a lot of people looking for advice but few people there to give it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would certainly refer to a Travel Forum every now and then, as would others as the wanderlust bit them. With as many people involved in the forums as a whole, it would seem likely that there would always be people looking for information. Whether the ones that could give the information would happen to be reading the forum at the same time is a matter for the statisticians.

Perhaps it would be better to join travel with another one or two topics? Maybe leisure and/or entertainment? Golf, health, fitness, leisure and travel or somesuch amalgamation, spinning off full forums later if necessary?

iron81 06-27-2007 10:14 AM

For those saying it wasn't given a chance, Travel was a playground for a good month and the traffic was even worse than the dedicated forum.

orange 06-27-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

RR 06-27-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would certainly refer to a Travel Forum every now and then, as would others as the wanderlust bit them. With as many people involved in the forums as a whole, it would seem likely that there would always be people looking for information. Whether the ones that could give the information would happen to be reading the forum at the same time is a matter for the statisticians.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way I see it being successful is if so many people that are looking for info happen to also have info about other places. It might be a good place for trip reports, but most people would probably prefer to leave their trip reports in their "home" forum.

El Diablo 06-27-2007 05:04 PM

All,

I don't really care much one way or other and think the forum might be pretty good, but I think that travel related stuff like trip reports really help build community bonds within forums, so that might be something you want to consider in the decision. Overall for 2+2, I think keeping travel reports spread across a number of different forums is probably better. This keeps general trip reports in people's "home" forums, most Vegas-specific stuff in B&M, tourney travel related stuff in tourney forums, and general travel stuff in the community forums. I think that is something that strengthens all of those forums.

citanul 06-27-2007 08:38 PM

iron,

wait, you mean that AFTER it was a playground, it was made a normal forum for a couple days, and that NORMAL forum got BETTER traffic than the playground forum? so you think it's reasonable to judge the potential success of a normal forum based on something's success/failure as a playground, even if it did better as a non-playground? playgrounds suck, kinda. people don't know what they are or visit it.

all,

you do realize that there's much more that obviously goes in a forum dedicated to travel than trip reports, right? personally i think i'd prefer to see either cross posting or posting in "home forums" than seeing them all solely in the travel forum.

threads such as "ask degen about thailand" are the perfect thing for a travel forum (or metetron's buenos aires post), and are really in no way like a trip report.

Mat Sklansky 06-27-2007 08:53 PM

cit

do you want to mod a travel forum?

citanul 06-27-2007 09:00 PM

Mat,

I wanted to mod a travel forum.

However, I've taken a full time job that starts after the main event, so it would be irresponsible of me in a variety of ways to take on more 2p2 tasks at this point.

I'd be happy helping out with ideas and content for a travel forum if it were to exist. Also, I think there's several mods who would be interested in a travel forum, and good at it, including nation.

nation 06-28-2007 03:09 AM

I'd be down to run it, along with another mod though to help out. I can't imagine it'd be too much work though.

diebitter 06-28-2007 05:19 AM

For something like this, it's best modded by someone enthusiastic and driven to frame the forum (do faqs etc).

Not sure who, but maybe if no current mods feel that way, howabout someone from the user pool?

citanul 06-28-2007 09:06 AM

db,

i'm not entirely sure that the faqs would take that much time/effort, since the big important ones could and should be generated by collecting information from the users. i would also expect these to be sort of the first threads to appear in such a forum.

i'd be happy to help nation out with direction and a few projects, but anything involving actual "work" i've got to pass on, and definitely "mod in name" i've got to pass on as well.

diebitter 06-28-2007 09:08 AM

it's all yours.

El Diablo 06-28-2007 02:26 PM

cit,

As I said earlier, I wouldn't be opposed to this forum. However, what do you think about my point that threads like "Ask Degen about Thailand" and other trip reports and travel threads help build community within forums like OOT, Lounge, STT, EDF, NVG, etc?

Also, as far as mods for a travel forum, Metreon has been vocal about wanting to do it for a long time. I agree w/ a number of mods who think he can be a pretty crappy poster, so I'm definitely not endorsing him or anything (not opposed to him either). Just mentioning that as a reminder.

citanul 06-28-2007 05:19 PM

el diablo,

two responses to the community building aspects:

1) nothing would stop people from cross posting, and i personally don't think the travel forum should be used for "omg look at this sweet trip i took" nearly as much as resources, advice, etc. some of this might take the form of a trip report, but there's a big difference between a trip report written for your friends to see how nice your trip was and a trip report that is based on showing people what there is to do, etc.

2) who cares? one could (laughably) argue that part of what made oot interesting was a variety of the other forums that have since been split off, and that they were important to the community building as well. everyone liked playing werewolf in oot too, or talking about politics, or student life. i live in fear the day when we finally get a whole forum just for "how to/should i shave my balls," and we lose the community aspect of those recurring threads.

but no, seriously, i think there's an obvious content difference between things like "ask me" threads and "trip reports." i don't think for instance that anyone would argue that threads about finding the best airfare deals are a vital part of oot, or anything that that. if anything i'd argue that even if a travel forum existed, trip reports would belong more in the poster's home forum, possibly with a master thread in the travel forum with links.

with respect to metreon, i think he's a bit of a douche and a pretty abrasive and unlikeable fellow, but whatever. i don't think there's any great reason to believe he'd be a good mod, and i think that nation would be good, and would enjoy doing it.

El Diablo 06-28-2007 05:28 PM

cit,

"but no, seriously, i think there's an obvious content difference between things like "ask me" threads and "trip reports." i don't think for instance that anyone would argue that threads about finding the best airfare deals are a vital part of oot, or anything that that. if anything i'd argue that even if a travel forum existed, trip reports would belong more in the poster's home forum, possibly with a master thread in the travel forum with links."

Sounds sensical.

nation 06-28-2007 08:09 PM

I also don't support metretron as mod. i've heard bad things about him from basically everyone, and he seems kinda bitchy sometimes.

El Diablo 06-28-2007 08:29 PM

nation,

I think he banged a swedish chick on a partypoker cruise.

EMc 06-28-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nation,

I think he banged a swedish chick on a partypoker cruise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can confirm he did this and attempted to do any other female on hte boat. I 2nd saying he shouldnt be a mod BTW.