Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Celtics lineup tonight (vs. Florida) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=304907)

Green Kool Aid 01-12-2007 05:10 PM

Celtics lineup tonight (vs. Florida)

I know there's an NBA thread, but this is seriously one of the most absurd things I have ever seen in professional sports.

Due to injuries to the following players: Wally Szczerbiak, Theo Ratliff, Paul Pierce, Delonte West, Tony Allen, and Brian Scalabrine, the Celtics have been left with the following players:

PG- Sebastian Telfair - 21
SG- Gerald Green- 21
SF- Ryan Gomes- 24
PF- Al Jefferson- 22
C- Kendrick Perkins- 22

with a bench of Allan Ray (22), Rajon Rondo (20), and Michael Olowakandi (31, the lone exception), and Leon Powe (22).

What is noticeable about this, is that not only are these guys young, but 6 of the 9 should still be in college, and two were on the roster to never be used, just fill out the numbers (A. Ray and Kandi).

Just thought it was kind of cool.

Now the question, how would a roster of:

Telfair-Rondo-Green-Jefferson-Perkins with Leon Powe off the bench do against Florida (assuming Gomes, Ray, and Kandi can't play) and the Celtics get two more replacement level bench players??

IMO it would be a very tightly contested game, which says something about both teams. Any chance these two could get a "friendly" against each other?

ThaSaltCracka 01-12-2007 05:14 PM

Re: Celtics lineup tonight (vs. Florida)

I would think Florida would win simply because they probably play better as a team.

Artdogg 01-12-2007 05:25 PM

didnt know telfair was that young, if what you say is true i should fade the hell out of the celtics as long as they have this lineup

THAY3R 01-12-2007 05:31 PM

The Celtics would win and I don't think it would be close.

Taraz 01-12-2007 05:32 PM

FLORIDA?

Green Kool Aid 01-12-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FLORIDA?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can debate whether or not they are the best team in CBB (which I think they are), but there's no doubt in my mind they would have the best shot against NBA players, because they have the most NBA prospects.

Also....assume college 3 point line and rules as well.

I really think this would be an awesome game.

kidcolin 01-12-2007 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MoreWineII 01-12-2007 05:47 PM

Oh man this is rough.

My pick is the Celtics in a close one, and I think Jefferson is the key. If he were to get hurt in the first quarter, the Celts could lose.

ps. Do you guys love Telfair enough to refer to him as "Bassy" yet?

Artdogg 01-12-2007 05:58 PM

actually after further thought no way it's close, there is a big difference between nba prospects and proven nba players

kidcolin 01-12-2007 06:20 PM

With Doc at the helm it could make things interesting, but Artdogg pretty much nailed it. Al Jefferson would dominate. Kendrick would bust people up for boards. Gomes would register an easy double double. Bassy would have a free pass to the hoop. Powe was a 20/10 guy in the Pac 10... he'd bust people up off the bench.

The only hope would be the college rules, mainly, 5 fouls. Kendrick and Big Al could get in trouble. Then it could get interesting... maybe.

Oh.. just noticed the non-Gomes thing.. They'd still win by a good margin.

Look at it this way. Allan Ray is probably our biggest scrub, and unless he improves a lot he won't be in the league long. He was a PIMP at Villanova. These NBA prospects at Florida are just that.

Green Kool Aid 01-12-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually after further thought no way it's close, there is a big difference between nba prospects and proven nba players

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhhhh Telfair, Green, and Perkins are still in the prospect category.

Also, I'm pretty sure Noah is valued equally to Al Jefferson by most, and they were in the same high school class.

Another thing to consider is the Florida guys have been playinig together, whereas the Celtics kids have been getting garbage minutes and are just learning the game themselves.

I think under college rules, with 20 minute halves, and Doc getting outcoached by Billy Donovan, the Celtics would win 67-63, but it would be a really good game.

ThaSaltCracka 01-12-2007 07:04 PM

The shorter three point line would be immense for the Celtics. This would be an interesting game though, Florida's D would be the difference maker. If they could actually stop that young Celts squad, they could win.

MoreWineII 01-12-2007 07:23 PM

Did that same Celtic lineup pwn the Blazers in Portland a week or so ago?

ThaSaltCracka 01-12-2007 07:26 PM

Allen, Scalabrine, West, and I believe Wally were all there.

Taraz 01-12-2007 08:35 PM

I can't believe you guys think Florida would have a chance. Wouldn't all the players on the Celtics be studs in college? Rondo was.

All of you saying that Florida will win are assuming they have 6 NBA prospects.

ThaSaltCracka 01-12-2007 08:54 PM

you do realize Green and Telfair never even played in college.

kidcolin 01-12-2007 09:20 PM

Nor Perkins nor Jefferson. There's also a reason they didn't. Really coaching / rules would be Florida's only chance. Get the bigs in foul trouble and they could do some damage. Play the zone and watch Doc leave Bassy out there who will be clueless against it, while Rondo rots on the bench. If that happens and Green's 3-ball (2.5 ball.. the college line is [censored] gross) is off, then Florida can do some more damage.

More likely, Noah gets knocked around like a bitch, Bassy gets to the hoop whenever he wants, Green goes 10/15 on 3s, and Al Jefferson registers an easy 22/15.

Assani Fisher 01-12-2007 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Under college rules, I'll say something like 90-55 final score.

Artdogg 01-12-2007 09:35 PM

ray is the celtics worst player probably and there is how many players on florida better than he was in college? 3 max?

Assani Fisher 01-12-2007 09:38 PM

and then also consider that Ray is now a lot better than he was in college. This game wouldn't be close. Boston would win 24 out of 25 imo.

THAY3R 01-12-2007 09:51 PM

You really think UF has more NBA prospects than UNC?

xorbie 01-12-2007 10:24 PM

this would be closer with a team like Ohio St imo

ASPoker8 01-12-2007 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really think UF has more NBA prospects than UNC?

[/ QUOTE ]

For next years draft, yes'm
Overall, no way

Taraz 01-13-2007 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you do realize Green and Telfair never even played in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this not because they were better than the guards who are currently in college???

MyTurn2Raise 01-13-2007 04:16 AM

how were the Celtics only 6 point dogs tonight verse Toronto?

Spellmen 01-13-2007 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and then also consider that Ray is now a lot better than he was in college. This game wouldn't be close. Boston would win 24 out of 25 imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, Ray would go nuts from college 3 range and make that silly white boy from Florida look like a chump

ASPoker8 01-13-2007 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, Ray would go nuts from college 3 range and make that silly white boy from Florida look like a chump

[/ QUOTE ]

don't hate!

Lee Humphries is a model student-athlete

FlyWf 01-13-2007 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this would be closer with a team like Ohio St imo

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. OSU might have the best player on the court in this hypothetical, but they still start a lineup with 2 SGs and 2 PGs. Whichever Celtic over 6'6" that Oden doesn't guard would destroy the Bucks.

Hypothetical would be double digit favorites over any college team. Depth and muscle go a long way.

And I say UNC would make it closest from a matchup perspective.

James282 01-13-2007 02:42 PM

These hypotheticals are always absurd - but at least this one isn't as bad as the Raiders vs. USC type hypotheticals. Those really make me want to kill myself.

James

bigt2k4 01-13-2007 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These hypotheticals are always absurd - but at least this one isn't as bad as the Raiders vs. USC type hypotheticals. Those really make me want to kill myself.

James

[/ QUOTE ]
Was this evere suggested? 'cause it would be 127-0 for the Raiders, honestly even the worst CFL team the Ticats would beat USC) or Florida or any NCAA team by 40+ points, prolly closer to 60 for the best NCAA teams.

Green Kool Aid 01-13-2007 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

The current Celtics havent played together, are missing their four best players, and have played very little in terms of big game experience.

Florida has three lottery prospects, and only one of the Celtics current players was a lottery player (Telfair at #12), and the players are all of similar ages.

This is nothing like football, because give the Gators LeBron and it's game over, whereas for USC football, no individual player could change it that much.

Kneel B4 Zod 01-13-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and only one of the Celtics current players was a lottery player (Telfair at #12),

[/ QUOTE ]

if you take all the Florida players, add the current Celtics to that list, and told all NBA GM's that they had to pick from this list but they only get to keep their picks for 1 game, then how many of the Florida players would be picked 1-7?

Kneel B4 Zod 01-13-2007 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think Florida would win simply because they probably play better as a team.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, Notre Dame could beat the Raiders b/c of their mystique edge, but only if they get to wear their green shirts.

Aces McGee 04-02-2007 04:13 PM

Just read this article on CBS Sportsline asserting that Florida could "whup" Memphis, Boston, and Milwaukee (Mike Freeman, the author, calls those "no-brainers") and hang with most of the lower division East teams.

I think it's utter nonsense.

-McGee

Ralph Wiggum 04-02-2007 04:15 PM

WTF 35% of people voted for Florida. I hate people.

JupiterUWG 04-02-2007 04:20 PM

dont know if this has been said, but if you compiled the 2 teams in the final (i.e. adding conley and oden to florida)...the college team wins by 10 points IMO

Green Kool Aid 04-02-2007 04:37 PM

In retrospect this was kind of stupid, but I'd definitely take Horford and Brewer over Perkins and Green right now.

Jefferson versus Noah would be utter domination, though.

zer0 04-02-2007 04:39 PM

a guy like al jefferson putting up 20/10 against nba players wouldnt own noah's ass? green couldnt score 50 with a jump shot being worth 3? rondo wouldnt devestate on defense?

florida would get dominated. its a sad, sad fact that this is even a question, however.

Ralph Wiggum 04-02-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont know if this has been said, but if you compiled the 2 teams in the final (i.e. adding conley and oden to florida)...the college team wins by 10 points IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
What rules are we playing by? Your team still has no bench.

Pierce, Gasol, or Redd could single-handedly beat down any college team.

ASPoker8 04-02-2007 06:42 PM

Corey Brewer and Al Horford are the only two who could hold their own vs the Cs