Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   If you are feeling bad about yourself, read this (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554938)

LonesomeFugitive 11-26-2007 05:04 PM

If you are feeling bad about yourself, read this

For all the lazy people struggling with school and sucking at life, read this. Next time you feel your procrastination or lazyness is killing you, just think about me and know there is hope since you can't be worse off than I am.

*5 +years in community college and still can't find a major and I have to apply to transfer in fall 08. I just don't have a passion in life. I declared an english major but I have no passion for this at all other than being a good writer. If I do find another major I might be forced to spend more time in community college taking prerequesites.
* I have to get no c's in any of my classes this semester to have a chance to transfer to my local uni which I was told would take me with a 2.6 gpa (mine is 2.5 something). I am unfortunately working on 2 c's [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
* In order for me to transfer to this uni I have to complete my statistics class a year before the semester im applying to (fall 08). Unfortunately i am doing horrible in this class, failed the first test, and skipped the second one because I had not done any reading in any of the chapters it was on. THIS IS MY MUST PASS CLASS! DO OR DIE and I am procrastinating on it.
* I am totally busto after I pay rent I have less than 200 bucks on my checking account every month.
* my parents are busto as well. If I don't work I can't afford to live where I do so i am basically supporting my mother and sister. If I apply to transfer out of state i won't be able to afford it and I probably wont be able to qualify for any scholarships due to my horrible gpa.
* beat = 24 years old (5 years at community college) I have wasted my life.
*everytime I open a book/start doing homework I get this inmense sense of sleepyness/tiredness. I can sleep 10 hours and then start working on my homework and feel like I only slept 3. It is really difficult succeeding in your classes when homework feels like kryptonite. Imagine superman trying to save the world with a kryptonite crystal stuck in his back, that is how I feel.

cliff notes: 5+ years at community college and undecided on major, low gpa not good enough to transfer anywhere decent, busto, degenerate procrastinator to the point of procrastinating in the do or die class which will decide future.

chancelor1 11-26-2007 05:53 PM

Re: If you are feeling bad about yourself, read this

i don't know what you expect people here to say to you other then stop slacking and get your [censored] done. also, maybe you should just find a job somewhere that you can slave at for the next 40+ years and and hate your life even more. i was somewhat in your situation 3 years at Community college and a 3.0 gpa i wasn't very motivated but the idea of working a job i hate the rest of my life or ending up like the people that are 30+ and still working at the pizza hut i work at was enough motivation for me to get my [censored] together and start taking school seriously. now I'm on my way to becoming a Physical Therapist. Just find something that motivates you and focus on it. you said you wanted to major in English. have you thought about becoming a teacher of some sort i know that that job is highly rewarding and you could take time to write because you get summers off.

p.s. Weed severely inhibits motivation and is a drain on the wallet!

LonesomeFugitive 11-26-2007 06:00 PM

I have gotten a's in all my english classes so i just picked that major based on the grades I got, not on me liking it and besides the money I'll be making with an english major is peanuts. My local university is very competitive and the chances of me getting in are all going to be based on luck. I am looking into applying into out of state schools which have higher acceptance rates but I don't know much about financial aid options. I can't afford 20k a year my family is on the poverty line.

in48092 11-26-2007 06:28 PM

Maybe you have ADD. Get yo self some Ritalin or something.

ThaHero 11-26-2007 06:54 PM

Did you mean to post this in BBV4L?

Barrin6 11-26-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
In your situation I'll get some adderall

LonesomeFugitive 11-26-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so i'm just a degenerate procrastinator who lacks motivation to do anything. I come up with schemes and excuses to not do the work on time. In english and computer classes I get a's but unfortunately I'm horrible at math so that eliminated a computer major as my choice (and no graphic design is not for me i can't draw). Everytime I have to do something homework related I feel like taking a nap, it is like all the energy in my body is drained. My procrastination has taken a degenerate tone as I am procrastinating on my statistics class which I know if I don't pass I am basically screwed for transfering in fall 08.

So even when I know i am ruining myself I can't stop procrastinating.

oe39 11-26-2007 07:31 PM

have you tried trying?

AntonHeat 11-26-2007 07:48 PM

What do you do for $$? Or do you work/school it?

LonesomeFugitive 11-26-2007 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do for $$? Or do you work/school it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I work 30 hours a week. I got 3 days off but 2 of those days i have all my classes so I just got 1 pure day off. Having 3 days off is enough for everyone except a procrastinator like me. When you procrastinate as much as me 3 days is not enough to catch up on a month's work of reading in 1 class alone. Most of the time the 2 days off i go to school i procrastinate so that leaves me with 1 day to do everything.

OtisBlue415 11-26-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know what you expect people here to say to you other then stop slacking and get your [censored] done

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to sound too harsh, but you're number one motivation should be not to feel like a [censored] loser and man up when it comes to your responsibilities. Not having a passion is one thing but you have to get over it. Search hard for what you want to do but in the meantime, just do what you have to do.

mahgeetah 11-26-2007 08:19 PM

I'm a really bad procrastinator also. The only way I can get my work done is to make myself go to the library and sit in a study room for a couple of hours. I'm actually about to go now until it closes because I have a lot of stuff due tomorrow. Also, if you don't need the internet for your work, cut it off... it's a big time waster for me. So just set up a time to go to the library every night and try to stick to it. I know it sounds kinda obvious, but it really helps.

Golden_Rhino 11-26-2007 08:37 PM

Serious response:

It's possible that you suffer from depression, or have some other type of affliction. You should really see a doctor and get checked out. It sounds like you want to do things, but just have a hard time when it comes to the actual doing.

Good luck pal.

LonesomeFugitive 11-26-2007 08:52 PM

Here is another one of my procrastination stories to give you an idea of how much of a degenerate procrastinator I am. This is from last tuesday.

last tuesday I had a test in my math class (the one class I must pass this semester or i can't transfer in 08). I had to take the test that day since thursday we had the day off due to thanksgiving. I go to school at 8 am in order to study and catch up on 5 chapters or so of reading which I had not done any (and for a procrastinator like that you know that is impossible). About an hour before the test I decide to email the teacher and beg him to let me take the test some other time. Up to that point I had not done ANY reading and I basically sat in the library with the book open, playing with the laptop and looking at all the cute girls passing by.

So I email the teacher, beg him to let me take the test some other time, go home cursing myself and saying that I would use the thanksgiving vacation in order to catch up on work.

Well...tomorrow is tuesday, tomorrow is class time, I have done NO READING on any of the chapters during the thanksgiving time off. I am back where I started, coming up with schemes to save myself (I am skipping class tomorrow).

We have 4 tests in this class, I got a d on the first 1, a 0 on the second one, I got 1 more plus final. I must get a c and pass this class or else im history.

cliff notes: big test last tuesday, skipped it due to having done no reading, swore to study during thanksgiving vacation, tomorrow is class again and have done nothing.

tabako 11-26-2007 09:25 PM

Is this a level?

You honestly skipped a test because you didn't do the reading? Did you not go to class either? Shouldn't you be able to get SOME points just by guessing?

illini43 11-26-2007 09:41 PM

Quit school and work full-time. School isn't for everyone.

vin17 11-26-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OP,

Just in case you don't clue in, this is what's known as a 'level.'

In other words, this should be your last resort. By a mile.

Golden_Rhino 11-26-2007 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OP,

[/ QUOTE ]

May not be a level. My happiest friends said [censored] school and went into a trade. They are happy, and rolling in the $$$$.

Case Closed 11-26-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
OP,

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily a level. It's true, some people are not cut out for a college education.

LonesomeFugitive 11-26-2007 10:33 PM

I wasn't always this bad. Last semester I was still a procrastinator but I did stay till morning hours doing homework at the last minute. This semester I have let myself go. No late night study sessions, no late night homework sessions. I always just say "ok ill do it tomorrow, ok ill email the teacher and ask for more time" always coming up with get out of jail cards.

This semesters i have stopped caring even though I care a lot or else I wouldn't be posting this. I just can't get myself to do anything. I know when stuff is due but ill go watch tv, go on the net, go to sleep or whatever. I can't help it I know it's killing me!

illini43 11-26-2007 11:16 PM

I was not not levelling FWIW. Getting a full-time 40hr/week job that pays decently with an opportunity to advance is a better alternative than wasting money on school when you aren't motivated to work at it.

Not everyone is meant to go to college and go work at some cubicle job and make $80K+ a year like most people want to.

I respect managers at retail/food stores just as much, if not more than some hot shot investment banker. If school really isn't your thing it really isn't the end of the world...

vin17 11-26-2007 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was not not levelling FWIW. Getting a full-time 40hr/week job that pays decently with an opportunity to advance is a better alternative than wasting money on school when you aren't motivated to work at it.

Not everyone is meant to go to college and go work at some cubicle job and make $80K+ a year like most people want to.

I respect managers at retail/food stores just as much, if not more than some hot shot investment banker. If school really isn't your thing it really isn't the end of the world...

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, my Level Detector is usually running good.

And you're right, a college degree is not the universal solution.

Quicksilvre 11-27-2007 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious response:

It's possible that you suffer from depression, or have some other type of affliction. You should really see a doctor and get checked out. It sounds like you want to do things, but just have a hard time when it comes to the actual doing.

Good luck pal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was halfway thinking this myself. A depression screening might not be a bad idea.

Taso 11-27-2007 12:54 PM

I was feeling [censored] about how much I've been a lazy [censored] this year, and then the OP made me feel a lot better. Thankssss

goofyballer 11-27-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You honestly skipped a test because you didn't do the reading? Did you not go to class either? Shouldn't you be able to get SOME points just by guessing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely did this in college.

En Passant 11-27-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So did I, and it's pretty common.

OP, school isn't for everyone. Why are you even going to community college? What is the reasoning?

LonesomeFugitive 11-27-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So did I, and it's pretty common.

OP, school isn't for everyone. Why are you even going to community college? What is the reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because my family is low income and I need to get ahead to help em out. BTW I skipped the test because I was so embarrased that I did not know any of the material and I had talked to my teacher and told him I had put my procrastination behind me. I am not one to ignore my problem I know it is killing me and it makes me feel awful.

I have hit such a low point I wish I was at the point I was last semester, which was doing homework till late hours in the morning before it is due. Now I don't even do that! I do nothing! I have hit such a low point my wish is to at least let me go back to being a "bad" procrastinator and not a degenerate one with no hope like I am now.

With my low GPA I probably won't be able to get into my local uni (which is competitive), I can't afford to pay out of state tuition, my parents can't help me because they are low income. Basically it means that if I get declined in march when they're supposed to tell me if im in, ill probably stay in community college even more time or pack my bags and just go whatever my car takes me. I can't afford to drive to the state next door so I might have to take a train but I still gotta make the car payments, which means getting a job right away since I got no savings to live off and pay the car. I have become such a procrastinator I don't even play poker anymore. On a good day I would make $30-40 a day which is peanuts but for a busted down guy like me anything helps.

I am totally screwed. I am facing a Kobayashi Maru scenario.

SuperUberBob 11-28-2007 08:58 PM

It seems that you have this implication that you are bound to college and must finish it now.

I know plenty of people who have dropped out and gone into the work force because they were just wasting their time and money in college. Some of them eventually went back and finished their degree. But the fact is that each of them found something they enjoy doing and are happy with their lives.

The objective in life is to find something you enjoy. Things that one may perceive as work, you perceive as fun because you enjoy doing it. If this requires you to temporarily withdraw from college to find it, then do it. But don't piss your life away because you're a lazy ass bum. Suck it up and make something of yourself.

felixleong 11-28-2007 09:52 PM

U are just plain Lazy, Lazy and Lazy
What is so tough going to school , taking lessons, doing homework and etc??
do u know u are PAYING SCHOOL FEES to study??? u should be glad u are still young and still having those wonderful school days.
Must u wait till u grow up to be a real adult then will u realise that u are PAID TO WORK.

If life as a working adult is hell , life as a student must be heaven

U only live life once, u know what u should do and just start doing it now~

mahgeetah 11-28-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Must u wait till u grow up to be a real adult then will u realise that u are PAID TO WORK.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

HedonismBot 11-29-2007 01:08 AM

Imagine the millions of people in the world who would and do risk their lives just to get into the position you are now in. It's really not that bad. Imagine you and your family lived in 10x worse the conditions you now do and you just washed up on shore after spending weeks on a raft, and now all thats in the way is this one statistics class. Are you really gonna let this one class defeat you? Beg the prof to let you make up the test and study, you said you could in the past, the only way your work is gonna get done is if you go do it, just go do it RIGHT NOW and get it [censored] done. Look at me procrastinating right now and for the last several hours, now I have to do work so after I finish this sentence I'm going to GO DO IT, now you do the same thing

Sly_Fox 11-29-2007 01:45 AM

If your income is as low as you say apply for Federal Grants and Loans when accepted into an out of state school. Also, taking out loans for college isn't the end of the world.

OtisBlue415 11-29-2007 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. OP, you really need to just stop with this emotional woe-is-me attitude and just go out there and grind.

Take all the stuff in your life that wastes time, and cut it out. Completely. Maybe you're depressed, maybe not, blah blah blah, at the end of the day, it's your choice, you're not just some helpless weakling incapable of doing anything.

thac 11-29-2007 02:57 AM

Look at how many times you've replied to this post.. if you used that time to write papers, they'd be done.

ThaHero 11-29-2007 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at how many times you've replied to this post.. if you used that time to write papers, they'd be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Seriously, even if you end up flunking out and have to flip burgers for the rest of your life, you'll still be better off than people starving to death somewhere in a 3rd world country. You're wasting your time on here obv imo. Sign off and get to work.

Bork 11-29-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Seriously, even if you end up flunking out and have to flip burgers for the rest of your life, you'll still be better off than people starving to death somewhere in a 3rd world country. You're wasting your time on here obv imo. Sign off and get to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, he just has to find some starving kid's forum posts so he will stop feeling bad about himself. Then that kid just has to find some posts made by a chicken at the KFC plant, and so on. Then nobody will feel bad.

OtisBlue415 11-29-2007 07:32 PM

No, the point is that his life isn't that bad of a deal. When the title of the thread basically implores people to pity him, it makes the point a necessary one. If you feel that the post you quoted was wrong, I'd be very interested in hearing your logic in determining so.

Bork 11-29-2007 08:09 PM

I was making fun of the fact that OP and some of the responses seem to think the fact that somebody is worse off than you is somehow relevant to how good your life is. That is that you shouldn't feel bad if you think about the fact that others have it worse off. Worry about improving your own life. If you are irrational enough that somehow people you have never met suffering across the world can motivate you to improve your own life, then by all means use whatever motivating tools you can find.

OtisBlue415 11-29-2007 08:37 PM

That is a thought process I had many times when I was a kid and now that I'm older I've found it to be a stark denial of proper perspective in regards to fixing our own problems. Sometimes we get all to caught in our own predicaments that it takes a moment to really take a step back and look at just how bad our problems really might be. Suddenly it becomes whole lot easier to improve our own lives when we see that the means needed to improve them are almost entirely in our grasp.

ThaHero 11-29-2007 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, he just has to find some starving kid's forum posts so he will stop feeling bad about himself. Then that kid just has to find some posts made by a chicken at the KFC plant, and so on. Then nobody will feel bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point I'm trying to make. A starving kid in a 3rd world country doesn't even have internet access, ldo. And chickens can't post.

All I'm saying is he actually has the ability to do something about his situation, the starving kid doesn't. Be a man and sign off and get to work. If he can't do it on his own, call up a therapist or doctor and get some meds so he can function.