Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   owner of house i am renting disappears off face of earth (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546566)

sublime 11-15-2007 02:04 AM

owner of house i am renting disappears off face of earth

so about 6 mos ago we started renting a house in the posh anthem country club. owner of house is young, seemingly with it, single woman. a tad flaky, but whatever.

haven't had ANY contact with her in 4 months. gardeners stopped showing up, but since they woke me up once a week i didn't give a [censored]. well we finally need her for something important and call her like 5 times with no response. i called her former business partners and she sold her share a while ago to them and they cant get in touch with her either.

so im like ok, ill hold off rent next month until she calls us back. (note we have paid rent on time every month)...im liek great idea, then i can bitch her out and feel macho. well so much for that idea:

NOTICE TO VACATE THE PREMISES BY A LAW FIRM HIRED BY THE LOAN FIRM SHE USED. FORECLOSURE.

WTF

she has a sister i am going to (try?) track down, but WTF this is super weird. if she died you would think a call would have been made to us.

anyways we signed a lease with HER. so what are our rights? anybody have any idea?

sublime 11-15-2007 02:06 AM

Re: owner of house i am renting disappears off face of earth

also fwiw i originally thought she was avoiding our calls because i told her to wear something sexy when she came to pick up mail (which she has never done).

mused01 11-15-2007 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also fwiw i originally thought she was avoiding our calls because i told her to wear something sexy when she came to pick up mail (which she has never done).

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

sublime 11-15-2007 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

oh that sent her over the edge and she stopped paying her mortgage and had her house foreclosed on and severed her relationship with her business?

diagf

i dont know why i even posted it, it has nothing to do with sit at hand.

eviljeff 11-15-2007 02:18 AM

interesting. I'm guessing that you'll have to move eventually, but you could make it a huge pain in the ass for them simply by doing nothing and live rent free for a couple months.

sublime 11-15-2007 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
interesting. I'm guessing that you'll have to move eventually, but you could make it a huge pain in the ass for them simply by doing nothing and live rent free for a couple months.

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean they cant just have deputys show up tomorrow and be like get out, right?

i hope the company that now owns it would just take the xxxx a month till the lease is up. anything else would be a major PIA. even this is a PIA as we love this house.

suzzer99 11-15-2007 02:22 AM

There's procedures to evicting you. And you can drag it out. Check with some local resource.

sublime 11-15-2007 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's procedures to evicting you. And you can drag it out. Check with some local resource.

[/ QUOTE ]

so i take it our lease is most likely nullified since the house was foreclosed on?

should i contact the new owner (title holder?) or have my lawyer do it?

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-15-2007 02:25 AM

Strange. I guess she is on the run from Po-Lease.

sublime 11-15-2007 02:26 AM

nevada eviction process:

[ QUOTE ]
30 DAY NOTICE:

Notice is used for reasons OTHER than Nuisance or Rent. DO NOT count the day of service--it runs consecutive through weekends and holidays. (Can not be used when a Lease is in effect).You need to return to this office after the 30thday (return date must be a business day). Need to follow-up with the 5 DAY UNLAWFUL DETAINER.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats from a owners POV.

SmokeyRidesAgain 11-15-2007 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange. I guess she is on the run from Po-Lease.

[/ QUOTE ]

LO- actually that joke is terrible.

tuq 11-15-2007 02:28 AM

Just buy the house at the foreclosure auction or try to rent it from whoever does.

She's probably a Colts fan. Typical.

sublime 11-15-2007 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just buy the house at the foreclosure auction or try to rent it from whoever does.

She's probably a Colts fan. Typical.

[/ QUOTE ]

thing is the house is valued at like 750k....i LIKE the house but for that kind of money a nukka better love it.

the second action requires cooperation from another party. which i hope they are down for cuz i hate moving like i hate people from Indianapolis.

jaydub 11-15-2007 02:36 AM

sublime,

As described this is not an eviction, this is a foreclosure and very different laws apply. Talk to a local lawyer who will most likely tell you to stop paying rent and pack your [censored].

Feel free to trash the place in interesting ways as such behavior is standard. Perhaps that can be interesting, how best to [censored] the lender who is foreclosing.

J

sublime 11-15-2007 02:37 AM

so i found her sister on one of those people finder sites. should i pay for info? i kinda want to know WTF is up...otoh at this point does it matter?

sublime 11-15-2007 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sublime,

As described this is not an eviction, this is a foreclosure and very different laws apply. Talk to a local lawyer who will most likely tell you to stop paying rent and pack your [censored].

Feel free to trash the place in interesting ways as such behavior is standard. Perhaps that can be interesting, how best to [censored] the lender who is foreclosing.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what im scared of....the lender is probably big business and could give a [censored] less about the next 6 months rent.

jafeather 11-15-2007 02:43 AM

I was interested until the Indy/Colts jokes came into play.

Now I hope you have to move out tomorrow and all your stuff gets auctioned.

(actually...best of luck..this is a totaly f'd up situation)

jaydub 11-15-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sublime,

J

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what im scared of....the lender is probably big business and could give a [censored] less about the next 6 months rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what's the name on the letterhead?

J

sublime 11-15-2007 02:46 AM

freemont investment and loan

which doesnt appear to have a NV office

johnnylovescandy 11-15-2007 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo

[/ QUOTE ]

oh that sent her over the edge and she stopped paying her mortgage and had her house foreclosed on and severed her relationship with her business?

diagf

i dont know why i even posted it, it has nothing to do with sit at hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's still a pretty asinine comment to make to your landlord. I imagine foreclosures are stacking up in Anthem, and you're not the only renter caught in the middle. Call a lawyer and find out your rights.

sublime 11-15-2007 02:54 AM

dude i make asinine comments to everybody. how i roll, landlords aint exempt.

jaydub 11-15-2007 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fremont got cease and desisted not all that long ago and are about as solvent as your landlord. Talk to a lawyer and think about what you want in your next home.

J

sublime 11-15-2007 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dude i make asinine comments to everybody. how i roll, landlords aint exempt.

[/ QUOTE ]

and shes kinda cute so i was letting her know what was up. if i knew she was gonna go all LOST on me i woulda been more chill.

sublime 11-15-2007 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fremont got cease and desisted not all that long ago and are about as solvent as your landlord. Talk to a lawyer and think about what you want in your next home.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

so they are violating a fed mandate by buying this place? that was back in march, has it been lifted?

TheNoodleMan 11-15-2007 03:03 AM

IANAL but if you have a lease then doesn't the foreclosing bank still have to honor it? Isn't it the same as if your landlord had sold the house?

jaydub 11-15-2007 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

so they are violating a fed mandate by buying this place? that was back in march, has it been lifted?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they aren't going to be buying anything as they already own the home. Your landlord was just renting it from them.

J

jaydub 11-15-2007 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IANAL but if you have a lease then doesn't the foreclosing bank still have to honor it? Isn't it the same as if your landlord had sold the house?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Foreclosures are very different beasts than sales.

J

sublime 11-15-2007 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know time frame of how long we got to get out?

jaydub 11-15-2007 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know time frame of how long we got to get out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure it varies significantly and you mentioned both posh and country club so I really think it's time for a meeting with counsel.

Just understand that you most likely have zero rights or valid claims to the home as foreclosures are special from a legal sense so your lease probably means dick.

J

zasterguava 11-15-2007 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
renting a house in the posh anthem country club

[/ QUOTE ]

diagf, seriously.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-15-2007 09:03 AM

you just need to talk to a lawyer, unless a Nevada RE lawyer pops into this thread. laws vary by state.

bobman0330 11-15-2007 09:23 AM

Try calling the financial institution and offer to go month-to-month until they resell the place?

Milo 11-15-2007 11:24 AM

Call. A. Lawyer.

As an aside, this [censored] is going to happen a lot. When we moved to MN three years ago, the wife and I had no jobs and only 20K in the bank. Nonetheless, we had no problem getting a 90/10 loan on a $360K house, despite having no actual way to actually pay for it.

This is just one example of how [censored] up the mortgage industry was and how [censored] we all are because of the avalanche of foreclosures coming.

Fortunately, the wife and I found jobs and have no problems paying the mortgage.

Ra_ 11-15-2007 11:36 AM

Another thing to thing to keep in mind is that the mortgage company can't even start the eviction process until the foreclosure is final. If I were you I'd do everything i could to drag out the forclosure/evection process while you look for a new place.

It also never hurts to contact the mortgage company and see it they would sell the house for cheap. that way they would save on clean-up, and having ot evict you. you maybe surprised what they would take just to get there money out of it.

Kaj 11-15-2007 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When we moved to MN three years ago, the wife and I had no jobs and only 20K in the bank. Nonetheless, we had no problem getting a 90/10 loan on a $360K house, despite having no actual way to actually pay for it.

This is just one example of how [censored] up the mortgage industry was and how [censored] we all are because of the avalanche of foreclosures coming.

Fortunately, the wife and I found jobs and have no problems paying the mortgage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's also an example of how [censored] up consumers are and why it will piss me off if the government has to bail out people like you who end up defaulting. Gotta have it all. Gogogogo American suburbanites.

C-Dog 11-15-2007 11:55 AM

I agree with Kaj on the bailout. I hope the US doesn't bail people or companies out. They made the loans, let them deal with it. I don't buy the whole "They tricked me" and "I didn't know what I was doing" crap. You put that much money/credit into something you should know the score. If not, your [censored].

Of course I don't own a home, so I am hoping to pick one up on the foreclosure market, or when the bottom finally get's reached.

As for OP, contact a lawyer, and stop paying rent. Drag this [censored] out, and get your rent free life on. Seems +EV to me, and this is a poker forum, so +EV is what we are all striving for right?

C-Dog

wet work 11-15-2007 11:56 AM

LOL @ Fremont. One of my friends used them to do a sketchy no-doc loan. What the hell is some rich chic using a mortgage company that advertised on the Stern show?

My guess is the RE stuff mentioned or rehab.

mrkilla 11-15-2007 12:47 PM

basically the bank is taking back the house , move along move along

to bad you piad your rent all that time sucker I bet you could have gotten away with living rent free

My advice, move the [censored] out like now, your lease is with the owner , who uh is no longer the owner the bank is.

Hey if you stay in there maybe you can get some squatters rights enforced.

XXXNoahXXX 11-15-2007 01:00 PM

Take your time looking for a new place, don't pay anyone any rent. If they want to evict you it will take at least a month or two and since you're likely not getting back any deposits you made, might as well milk a couple free months rent to even things out.

cbloom 11-15-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Kaj on the bailout. I hope the US doesn't bail people or companies out. They made the loans, let them deal with it. I don't buy the whole "They tricked me" and "I didn't know what I was doing" crap. You put that much money/credit into something you should know the score. If not, your [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact is they did lie or mislead a lot of people who don't really understand finance, which is borderline illegal if not actually illegal (very hard to prove). What's worse they repackaged the mortgages and sold them with bogus credit ratings that didn't reflect the risk, which means that even without a bailout the mortgage companies aren't the one paying for their mistakes, pretty much every financial institution is paying, which trickles back out and affects almost everyone in the US.