Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   New Software. PokerStove clone w Weights and fold equity calc (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=490074)

mikechops 08-30-2007 04:52 PM

New Software. PokerStove clone w Weights and fold equity calc

Well it is actually pretty old. I have had it lying around a while and finally got around to making a website it. When I started learning poker, I found PokerStove incredibly useful. This program is an homage to PokerStove, with a couple of extra things I wanted.

1. The ability to weight hands within a range.

E.g. You are dealt Ace King and raise, everybody else folds and your opponent pushes all-in. You believe he would make this play with pocket Kings or Aces 100% of the time. However if he had Queens or Ace-King himself, you believe he would make this play 50% of the time. For his range, you can enter KK, AA, QQ(50), AK(50). Holdem Ranger calculates your equity against QQ and AK, but only weights those hands 50% as much in the overall result.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/35/weightedql4.jpg

2. More flexible hand range inputs.

You can enter Ad2d+ for A2 diamonds, A3 diamonds... AK diamonds. Or you can enter AdKd-AdJd for AdKd, AdQd and AdJd

You can enter the suit for just one card. E.g. AdA is all pairs of Aces containing the Ace of diamonds (AdAs, AdAh and AdAc). AdT is all combinations of the Ace of diamonds and a Ten.

You can enter 45s-9Ts for all suited connectors from 45 through 9T. Or 46s-8Ts for one-gapper hands. Or you can specify the suit with 4d5d-9dTd. You can also enter SCd as shorthand for diamond suited connectors 45-9T.

3 Fold percentage calculation.

E.g. you are dealt AK and raise. Everybody folds except an opponent in the big blind and he re-raises. You believe he would only do this with any pocket pair Jacks or higher. You believe if you push all-in, he will fold everything apart from pocket Aces and Kings. If you enter the hands he will call with followed by the hands he folds, separated by a '/' (i.e. "KK+ / JJ, QQ"), Holdem Ranger will give you the percentage of times he will fold. You can also weight hands within his calling and folding ranges. So if you believe he will call with QQ half the time and fold the rest, you can enter "KK+, QQ(50) / QQ(50), JJ.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4868/foldkc7.jpg

4. Less nitty input

Again I should sing the praises of PokerStove, but I did find the input a bit fiddly at times. I have not included a graphic card selector, but hopefully it is a little more forgiving if you put a space where a comma was expected and a little more informative if you input something the program doesn't understand.

Still reading? Here's the link:-

HoldemRanger.com

rvg72 08-30-2007 04:59 PM

Re: New Software. PokerStove clone w Weights and fold equity calc

awesome... great work. This ia a badly needed upgrade to an already great program in Poker Stove.

rvg

YoureToast 08-30-2007 05:01 PM

If you say: QQ, AK, does this mean that there is equal chance your opponent has each type of card, or does it give him a range of all QQ combinations and all AK combinations, which would make AK more likely.

And if you add (50) after it, same question?

mikechops 08-30-2007 05:07 PM

No it works like Pokerstove. It goes through all the available combos so AK is weighted 16:6 against QQ.. Assuming you don't have A,K or Q.

The AK(50) means it weights the results from AK combos by 50% in the final equity. SO AK(50), QQ would skew the results 8:6 in favor of AK.

jukofyork 08-30-2007 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
awesome... great work. This ia a badly needed upgrade to an already great program in Poker Stove.

[/ QUOTE ]

_dave_ 08-30-2007 07:25 PM

Very nice Mike, many thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ra]\\[dom 08-30-2007 09:10 PM

Very nice, gonna try it right away.

Suggestion:
Can you make it calculate the equity when you press Enter? Or is there a reason that application closes when I press it, at least on Vista that is.

Also, can you make the calcluate equity button a bit bigger (maybe bold text)if pressing Enter is not an option, button kinda get's lost, or maybe it's just me not being used to it yet.

curious123 08-30-2007 10:13 PM

Sick, thanks.

jmill2511 08-30-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sick, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

HalvSame 08-30-2007 10:51 PM

OMG this is excactly what I've been waiting for!

mikechops 08-30-2007 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice, gonna try it right away.

Suggestion:
Can you make it calculate the equity when you press Enter? Or is there a reason that application closes when I press it, at least on Vista that is.

Also, can you make the calcluate equity button a bit bigger (maybe bold text)if pressing Enter is not an option, button kinda get's lost, or maybe it's just me not being used to it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn! Good catch. I knew there was something I wanted to do. Can you believe I haven't pressed enter once in the last 4 months of using the program semi-regularly? Anyway I posted a new build.

I should probably add a cancel option if for if you start a big evaluation, but its kind of late now.

I meant to say in the OP that PokerStove is undeniably superior for multiway pre-flop calculations - the programmer must have done some sick optimizations. I use a lookup table for 2-way pre-flop and Holdemranger is fast enough for anything else.

SirNeb 08-31-2007 02:14 AM

ya multiway is really slow atm.

jaminbird 08-31-2007 02:55 AM

Awesome thanks, although I would have called it "Texas Ranger"

Mr_Snood 08-31-2007 05:11 AM

I am against "Texas Ranger". Nothing can compete with Chuck Norris. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ontiltsoon 08-31-2007 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very nice Mike, many thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

dotbum 08-31-2007 07:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bozzer 08-31-2007 08:34 AM

Mike you are a complete hero. I've been wanting weighting for ages. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

curious123 08-31-2007 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should probably add a cancel option if for if you start a big evaluation, but its kind of late now.

[/ QUOTE ]

A "clear all" button would be a helpful little addition as well.

BoozeHound 08-31-2007 11:58 AM

This program looks great, but right now is completely unusable for me. When I start the app, my CPU usage jumps to and stays at 100% when the program is open, regardless of whether I'm using it. Anyone else have this problem? Thoughts?

Ringmaster 08-31-2007 12:15 PM

This looks awesome! DL'ing now.

Your hard work is appreciated, thanks!

derosnec 08-31-2007 04:11 PM

this makes my session reviews a hell of a lot easier. thanks!

dfan 08-31-2007 05:05 PM

Great job. I also have been wanting weighting for ages. I even wrote the creator of PS about it. Since I didn't have it, I would sometimes manually weight hands in PS by selecting only certain suits for the hands (eg, AK(50)=Acdhs x Kcd). Man was that a clunky work-around!

[ QUOTE ]
This program looks great, but right now is completely unusable for me. When I start the app, my CPU usage jumps to and stays at 100% when the program is open, regardless of whether I'm using it. Anyone else have this problem? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having the same problem with my CPU usage going to 100% when holdemranger is open, even when it is finished with its calcs.

mikechops 08-31-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that. I hadn't noticed because I have a dual core. Anyway I fixed it - had to get rid of the hyperlinks in the output but no big loss.

rine 08-31-2007 09:29 PM

Any chance to do it for omaha? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mikechops 08-31-2007 11:34 PM

The problem with Omaha is representing the range of hands an opponent could have in a reasonably economical fashion.

If there was a good scheme for that, it wouldn't be too hard. But it would probably be better to restrict it to post-flop. Evaluating all the combos of AAxx vs KKxx pre-flop would be an overnight job with my current evaluation code.

The Good 09-01-2007 11:07 AM

Very nice done, thanks alot man!

ps. In the first screenshot the both win%+tie%*2 doesn't sum up to 100% [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

dfan 09-01-2007 12:46 PM

Yes, there is something weird about the equity calcs. In the screenshot the AK player's equity = wins + 1/2 ties, while the KK+ player's equity = wins + ties. This is true for other equity calcs as well. Why should one player get 1/2 of tie equity and the other get the full tie %?

mikechops 09-01-2007 01:49 PM

Oops how embarassing [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Well it would be embarassing if it were not part of my cunning plan to have the thread bumped regularly by people reporting bugs. Yes that's it - I'm not an idiot!

I posted a fix. The win % was screwed up when using the pre-flop lookup table. The equities seem to be right (according to PokerStove anyway) and post-flop looks good too.

Gonso 09-03-2007 04:46 AM

lol I was just asking for something like this, good work. I've just started playing with it.

My initial impression is that the input is a little tedious, but honestly it's so useful it doesn't even matter. Very good job

Martin456 09-03-2007 03:25 PM

Great program, just wondering does it take into account the fact that if 1 of the hands you put in contains an ace, the other hand will have less combinations of Ax?

mikechops 09-03-2007 05:12 PM

Yes. For example if you want to evaluate A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] vs KK+, it won't evaluate all 6 KK combos and 6 AA combos, just the ones that don't contain a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] That's 3 KK's and 3 AA's or 6 in total. Similarly combos that use board and dead cards are excluded.

dfan 09-03-2007 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oops how embarassing [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Well it would be embarassing if it were not part of my cunning plan to have the thread bumped regularly by people reporting bugs. Yes that's it - I'm not an idiot!

I posted a fix. The win % was screwed up when using the pre-flop lookup table. The equities seem to be right (according to PokerStove anyway) and post-flop looks good too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Works fine now. Nice job.

Now if we could meld the cool features of your app with PS's unbelievably fast crunching for multiplayer equities, well that would be the cat's meow...

09-03-2007 10:29 PM

very nice job. thanks

Kukla 10-28-2007 01:36 AM

Thx for programm, i have some questions about it.

1....We had AdQd and reraise villain on
4h7d9d flop. We know his range is JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AK and he always fold AK to push and call with others hands,so:

http://img.sknt.ru/1443/cd0c709e84.png

It shows that he fold 40%, but seems it s wrong number.

He have
JJ-6 combos
QQ-6 combos
KK-6 combos
AA-3 combos( not 6, course we had Ad)
AK-12 combos( not 16, course we had Ad)

so he will fold AK 12/(6+6+6+3+12)=12/33=36%

40% fold would be ok if hero had any hand except J,Q,K,A in
it.

craig1120 10-28-2007 01:40 AM

QQ-3 combos (not 6)

Kukla 10-28-2007 01:44 AM

sorry you are right, i was wrong [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

calcman 10-30-2007 07:14 AM

Wow, that looks great! Can you make it possible to make calculations through the command prompt? That would be extra sweet for testing many hands from various scenarios.

NL Newbie 10-30-2007 09:03 AM

Ah..... No "Preflop range" gui to click the hands? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Still awesome, PokerStoveneeds this - But that panel is sooo helpfull [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

awvdh 10-30-2007 09:36 AM

Very nice, thanks.

GeleHaas 10-30-2007 08:30 PM

Thanks for this !