Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Travel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Things to help a 24 hour flight go faster? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533688)

snowbank 10-29-2007 05:33 AM

Things to help a 24 hour flight go faster?

I'm flying to Thailand soon, and with the flights it'll take about 24 hours to get there. I was thinking about maybe buying a dvd player and buying like 20 movies before I left, but I heard they only last for 4 hours without the battery in them being recharged. any way around that?(i thought of buying a bunch of rechargeable batteries but heard they are pretty expensive)

any other ideas?

AlexM 10-29-2007 07:22 AM

Re: Things to help a 24 hour flight go faster?

Ever heard of books?

Paul B. 10-29-2007 07:34 AM

Book with an airline that has TVs and a power outlet for every seat. If you want to sleep, exercise a lot on the day of your flight so that you pass out on the plane.

WhoIam 10-29-2007 08:23 AM

Xanax/Valium and red wine. I suggest watching Pretty Woman 10x in a row for your choice of entertainment.

mlagoo 10-29-2007 08:38 AM

also snowbank, dont you crush msnl? for a flight this long, if its not too long, definitely look into upgrading to business class. will make the flight 10x more bearable.

other than that, yeah, get a good book and cross your fingers that your airline has a decent movie selection.

WhoIam 10-29-2007 09:01 AM

Oh, and you'll want light reading. Think Maxim, not The Economist.

Henry17 10-29-2007 09:39 AM

Upgrade. Flying coach for 24 hours is painful. 3 hours it doesn't bother anyone but anything over 6 requires an upgrade.

XXXNoahXXX 10-29-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and you'll want light reading. Think Maxim, not The Economist.

[/ QUOTE ]

get both. read heavy stuff til you get tired, sleep, wake up and read maxim.

The B 10-29-2007 12:16 PM

force yourself to stay awake the entire day before departure...you'll sleep like a drunk baby for at least the first 14 hours

XXXNoahXXX 10-29-2007 12:29 PM

ipod+book+magazine+sleep.

/thread

snowbank 10-29-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also snowbank, dont you crush msnl? for a flight this long, if its not too long, definitely look into upgrading to business class. will make the flight 10x more bearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

i looked into that but the price jumps from a little over $1k to over $7k.

HP 10-29-2007 03:06 PM

hmm longshot here...

but do you like any kind of math? poker theory? I'm a huge nerd I guess but I can pass a lot of time working on theory with pen and paper

Henry17 10-29-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what your financial situation is so hard to figure out the utility value of the extra $6k. Assuming you could swing it without it having any significant effect I'd say it is certainly worth it. Coach for long flights is a living hell.

snowbank 10-29-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what your financial situation is so hard to figure out the utility value of the extra $6k. Assuming you could swing it without it having any significant effect I'd say it is certainly worth it. Coach for long flights is a living hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could afford it, but no way would I spend several hundred dollars per hour extra to sit in more comfortable seats.

snowbank 10-29-2007 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm longshot here...

but do you like any kind of math? poker theory? I'm a huge nerd I guess but I can pass a lot of time working on theory with pen and paper

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, i might try and do that. i wish there was a handheld equity calculator or something.

snowbank 10-29-2007 05:21 PM

anyone have ideas on how to watch a ton of movies from a dvd player or something without having to buy a ton of rechargeable batteries?

john voight 10-29-2007 06:12 PM

http://www.seatguru.com/

book a seat w/ an outlet. There is a key showing which seats have outlets.

roblin 10-30-2007 12:11 AM

sleeping pills, earplugs, socks. in the plane try the food+redwine+cognac+sleepingpill diet. works like a charm [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OnYourBike 10-30-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he makes more than $6k net in 24 hours it's worth it. If not, he'll probably just suck it up.

NewTeaBag 10-30-2007 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could afford it, but no way would I spend several hundred dollars per hour extra to sit in more comfortable seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dood! Save the $6K. You will have to work SUPER hard, staying in balla hotels and going out EVERY night to party like a rockstar to spend $6k in your month over here. Spend an extra day recovering then be happy you ust paid for your trip with some minor lack of comfort.

Oh yeah, like WhoIam said, valium FTW. pop one 10mg upon boarding the longest leg of the flight plan and you'll be out like a light for a solid 10hrs.

Josem 10-30-2007 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
force yourself to stay awake the entire day before departure...you'll sleep like a drunk baby for at least the first 14 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

this also helps with adjusting to the new time zone.

Keyser. 10-30-2007 09:52 AM

wtf, buy a portable DVD player that takes AA batteries. Buy a case of AA batteries (they don't have to be rechargeable). Watch movies.

I don't get it. People are telling him to spend $6k more on upgrading his flight when he says he thinks batteries are too expensive. ugh my head hurts

DontTapTheGlass 10-30-2007 12:11 PM

I don't know where you're based, but both LA and NYC have direct flights to Bangkok through Thai Air. Top quality service, all seating classes are slightly bigger than average, and you don't have to make annoying transfers in Tokyo or Taipei. Its a 17 hour flight, 10% more in price, but Thai airways is awesome.

Many flights have plugs on some of the seats. Also, the flight attendants have plugs and if you smile they will charge it up for you while you watch Pretty Woman. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bedreviter 10-30-2007 05:18 PM

Bring a pillow, the ones you get on the plane sucks. If you do not have a window-seat I would recommend those awful-looking pillows that you put around your neck so your head have something to rest on. If you have a window-seat you can bring a medium sized pillow and lean on the wall. Night masks also look stupid but helps you sleep better. Earplugs or noise-canceling headphones would also be nice. The more sleep you get on the plane the better. NyQuil and/or alcohol also helps. Dont drink too much beeer that will force you to wake up for a bathroom-break, hard to go back to sleep after having gotten up.

Many airlines have on demand movies on long flights like that, so hopefully you do not need to bring your own DVD-player.

Danastasio1 10-31-2007 05:22 AM

The key is sleep, but if you have trouble getting there as I do I have a recommendation. My most recent flights have been much easier since I've started loading comedies on my iPod/iPhone. I'd put action/drama TV shows and movies on there but soon find myself disinterested. I swear the comedies seem, for me at least, to make the flights so much faster and more enjoyable. Also, getting a seat next to French models named Aurelie is always an added perk.

Pumpui 10-31-2007 06:13 AM

eat the food
you'll end up on the toilet for the major part of the trip.
Then when u get back to your sleep you will find a way to fall alseep quite fast since its the only way to forget the massive diarhea the plane's food bring.

Spoken with experience.

10-31-2007 08:41 AM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

TheWorstPlayer 10-31-2007 11:23 AM

upgrading is WELL worth it. portable DVD player. PS2. Books. Ipod.

Ganjasaurus Rex 10-31-2007 12:02 PM

I do the US-Asia roundtrip 3-4 times a year.

Book the midnight flight to Asia so that you'll sleep right away. Most Asian flights offer the 12-2 AM takeoffs from L.A. or other west coast cities. Take melatonin starting 3 days before leaving and 3 after you arrive. This will help you sleep like a rock for 8-10 hours on the plane and also helps with jet lag when you arrive.

Bring a neck pillow and eye cover. This is a must. Also bring vaseline for your lips to avoid dry cracking, and lotion for your hands. Eye drops are nice too. I always bring a normal-size pillow in my carry-on for the flight.

Of course, bring the usual entertainment items.... laptop (with extra battery), ipod, magazines, etc.

Jay. 10-31-2007 04:44 PM

psp w/ sega mega drive game package was the best buy ever. then on top of that get a huge memory card and throw some videos on before, i formatted all of cardrunners stinger and aba videos into ipod video format before my last flight; psp format would have been wiser.

Cancuk 10-31-2007 06:17 PM

Time Machine.

andyfox 10-31-2007 06:17 PM

A Faster Plane

TheWorstPlayer 10-31-2007 06:27 PM

Re: A Faster Plane

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't see how that would make a 24 hour flight go any faster.

greg nice 10-31-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? 6x more worth it? thats just insane from $1k to $6k for first class

Josem 10-31-2007 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A Faster Plane

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't see how that would make a 24 hour flight go any faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theory of relativity, obv

Cancuk 11-01-2007 03:44 PM

Get there early (or pre book) a exit seat. Will give you ton's of leg room. So worth getting to the airport three (or more) hours ahead of time to get it.

Also,

As other's have said:

- Valium. One and you're out.
- Ipod
- Books

Also, most aiports have portable DVD players you can rent and then return at a different station in a different airport. Super easy and lots of move selection.

Have fun!

SammyKid11 11-01-2007 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? 6x more worth it? thats just insane from $1k to $6k for first class

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just for business class on most US-Asia flights. First will run you something more like 10k.

But business on an international flight >>>>>>> first on domestic flight.

Schmitty 87 11-01-2007 06:07 PM

my flight to Thailand was [censored] miserable. I'm almost 6'5 and I was in economy. i got sick on the leg from japan to thailand, likely the result of the food from chicago to japan. i think drugs that knock you out are by far the best way to go.

as for upgrading, i'd fly economy even if i had the cash for business. such a huge markup.

ur54sold 11-01-2007 10:13 PM

What is with people and portable DVD players? Save the money and play dvd's on your laptop...

Josem 11-01-2007 10:16 PM

ur54sold: difference = length of battery.