Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=495267)

MrWookie 09-06-2007 07:19 PM

TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition

Alright, it's definitely long past time that we reset the Lounge's TV thread from Sniper's threadzilla. Right about now seems like just the right time, since it's shortly before all the new fall seasons start. I'm definitely interested in hearing what shows people here will be watching this fall so I know what I can discuss in this thread. I won't be posting nightly updates with what's on like Sniper used to because I'm not that dedicated, so set your DVRs ahead of time, or check your local listings.

Anyway, here are the shows I plan to follow this season:

Will definitely follow:

NFL Football: Sundays all day on CBS, Fox, and NBC, Monday nights on ESPN. Gooooo Seahawks!
Heroes: NBC Mondays @ 9 pm. Premieres Sept 24. Hopefully this season our beloved comic book show will actually be as awesome as it has the potential to be.
Dancing with the Stars: ABC Mondays @ 8 pm, results Tuesday @ 9 pm. Ah yes, the show I talk about the most here, but I don't really mention outside of the forum [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I'm glad it's not in the 9 pm time slot anymore.
The Office: NBC Thursdays @ 9 pm. Premieres Sept. 27. Probably the best comedy on television.
30 Rock: NBC Thursdays @ 8:30 pm. Premieres Oct. 4. When I saw previews for this last fall, I didn't think this would be watchable, let alone the better of the two shows about making SNL. However, Alec Baldwin is brilliant.

Will give a shot:

Sarah Connor Chronicles: Sundays @ 9 pm on Fox. I guess this doesn't start until January, though. Oh well. I've heard some good buzz, and the premise is interesting. I tend to dig the action shows.
K-Ville: Mondays @ 9 pm on Fox. Premieres Sept 17. Looks like a cop show set in a post-Katrina New Orleans. It could be interesting, but I won't feel let down if it doesn't grip me.
Bionic Woman: NBC Wednesdays @ 9 pm. Premieres Sept. 26. Another comic book show. The buzz hasn't been quite as good, though, so I'll probably ditch this one quickly if it doesn't impress me right away.
Life: NBC Wednesdays @ 10 pm. Also Premieres Sept. 26. Another cop show, this time a guy who got sentenced to life for a crime he didn't commit, and then got out. This is another one that's pretty tentative, but I'll give it a shot.
Chuck: NBC Mondays @ 8 pm. Premieres Sept. 24. I'm a sucker for spy shows, but this looks pretty weak. I'll give it a shot, though.
24: Fox Mondays @ 9 pm. Premieres in January. Speaking of being a sucker for spy shows, I can't help but at least watch the premiere of this. It has a lot to make up for last season, though, and if it doesn't start improving, I'll tiltedly take it off my DVR.

So, what about you guys? Anything catch your attention that I should plan on giving a shot? Anything we're both interested in?

jjshabado 09-06-2007 07:49 PM

Re: TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition

The Office and Lost will probably be my only die hard series.

I still have to watch past seasons of 24 or else it would be there too.

katyseagull 09-06-2007 07:54 PM

I'll be watching Dancing with the Stars with you but I gotta say I'm not too excited about the new celebs at the moment. I hate change [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Definitely will watch The Office. I really don't want Pam and Jim to get together.

rothko 09-06-2007 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Office: NBC Thursdays @ 9 pm. Premieres Sept. 27. The best show on television.

[/ QUOTE ]

zomg, three more weeks. me no can wait.

Dominic 09-06-2007 08:29 PM

NFL Football
Lost 24 (it HAS to be better than last year, right?)
The Office
30 Rock
I think I'll givee Heroes a shot, as well...
I might check out Life because I'm a Damien Lewis fan...

Blarg 09-06-2007 08:45 PM

It's about time we acted on this excellent idea. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

1. Flipping Out(house flipping show with nutty gay obsessive-compulsive guy who gets insight from tarot cards and apparently spends hundreds of dollars a month paying for his pets to get massages)

2. I think Gordon Ramsey's new cooking show is coming on, where he acts like a savage while saving people's restaurants from going under.

3. Any interesting cooking contest shows that come along.

4. Shin-chan, a funny cartoon that I've grown to love that shows around midnight Saturdays on Cartoon Network.

5. I used to really get into Frontline on PBS. I should start catching that again. Generally by far the smartest hour on t.v. Often hard hitting, but with nary a feeling of gloating about it, unlike CNN or other thinly-disguised Geraldo-like efforts.

6. Reruns of Futurama to wind down the day, with the occasional South Park.

Conspire 09-06-2007 10:03 PM

I hardly watch T.V., but I will definitely be watching High Stakes Poker, the first two episodes are the best I have seen throughout the 4 year series. I will also watch the WSOP main event (with the sound off, and my stereo playing, cuz norman chad, and mcleahran are the worst ever). Mix in some NFL football here and there as well. I dont know when the new season of The Shield starts, I guess I need to find out cuz that is one of my all time favorite shows on the air right now.

Edit: If there are any groundbreaking new shows that u think are worth looking into, let me know.

rothko 09-06-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. I think Gordon Ramsey's new cooking show is coming on, where he acts like a savage while saving people's restaurants from going under.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this an american version, cuz it's an old show in the uk: ramsay's kitchen nightmares?

jjshabado 09-06-2007 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know when the new season of The Shield starts, I guess I need to find out cuz that is one of my all time favorite shows on the air right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Shield. I seem to remember hearing it was finishing up next Spring. In terms of non-comedies I think The Shield is only second to The West Wing.

Someone else also told me that Futurama was making new episodes. Sounds too good to be true.

odellthurman 09-06-2007 10:32 PM

Survivorman and Man v. Wild are awesome and great for watching with kids.

rothko 09-06-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you might want to brush up on ur current events.

odellthurman 09-06-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened?

EYEWHITES 09-06-2007 11:01 PM

found this

Sept. 11 (NBC) The Biggest Loser season premiere
Sept. 14 (FOX) Nashville series premiere
Sept. 17 (FOX) Prison Break season premiere
Sept. 17 (FOX) K-Ville series premiere
Sept. 17 (NBC) Deal or No Deal season premiere
Sept. 18 (CW) Beauty and the Geek season premiere
Sept. 19 (CW) America’s Next Top Model season premiere
Sept. 19 (FOX) Back to You series premiere
Sept. 19 (FOX) ‘Til Death season premiere
Sept. 19 (FOX) Kitchen Nightmares series premiere
Sept. 19 (CBS) Kid Nation series premiere
Sept. 20 (CBS) Survivor: China season premiere
Sept. 23 (FOX) Simpsons, King of the Hill and Family Guy season premieres
Sept. 23 (CBS) 60 Minutes, Cold Case and Shark season premieres
Sept. 24 (ABC) The Bachelor and Dancing with the Stars season premieres
Sept. 24 (NBC) Chuck and Journeyman series premieres
Sept. 24 (NBC) Heroes season premiere
Sept. 24 (CBS) How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Rules of Engagement and CSI: Miami season premieres
Sept. 24 (CBS) The Big Bang Theory series premiere
Sept. 25 (CW) Reaper series premiere
Sept. 25 (FOX) Bones and House season premieres
Sept. 25 (NBC) L&O: SVU season premiere
Sept. 25 (CBS) NCIS and The Unit season premieres; Cane series premiere
Sept. 26 (ABC) Private Practice and Dirty Sexy Money series premieres
Sept. 26 (CW) Gossip Girl series premiere
Sept. 26 (CBS) Criminal Minds and CSI: NY season premieres
Sept. 26 (NBC) Deal or No Deal season premiere
Sept. 26 (NBC) Bionic Woman and Life series premieres
Sept. 27 (ABC) Ugly Betty and Grey’s Anatomy season premieres; Big Shots series premiere
Sept. 27 (CW) Smallville season premiere
Sept. 27 (NBC) My Name Is Earl, The Office and ER season premieres
Sept. 27 (CBS) CSI and Without a Trace season premieres
Sept. 28 (NBC) Las Vegas season premiere
Sept. 28 (CBS) Ghost Whisperer and Numbers season premieres; Moonlight series premiere
Sept. 30 (FOX) American Dad season premiere
Sept. 30 (ABC) Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters season premieres
Sept. 30 (Showtime) Dexter season premiere
Sept. 30 (Showtime) Brotherhood season premiere
Oct. 1 (CW) Everybody Hates Chris, The Game and Girlfriends season premieres; Aliens in America series premiere
Oct. 2 (ABC) Cavemen and Carpoolers series premieres
Oct. 3 (ABC) Pushing Daisies series premiere
Oct. 4 (NBC) 30 Rock season premiere
Oct. 4 (CW) Supernatural season premiere
Oct. 5 (NBC) Friday Night Lights season premiere
Oct. 7 (CW) Life Is Wild series premiere
Oct. 7 (ABC) America’s Funniest Home Videos season premiere
Oct. 12 (ABC) Men in Trees season premiere; Women’s Murder Club series premiere
Oct. 15 (ABC) Samantha Who? series premiere
Oct. 18 (CBS) Viva Laughlin series premiere
Oct. 25 (NBC) Scrubs season premiere
Nov. 27 (ABC) Cashmere Mafia series premiere

MrWookie 09-06-2007 11:17 PM

Oh, nice. Thanks. Yeah, I'm not interested in enough of these to look up all the premieres, but this will be handy.

katyseagull 09-06-2007 11:33 PM

Who's watching The Bachelor with me? Eyewhites? Odell? One of you guys has to take Sniper's place and talk about the girls with me!

MrWookie 09-06-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Office and Lost will probably be my only die hard series.

I still have to watch past seasons of 24 or else it would be there too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just skip this last season. You'll be glad you did.

odellthurman 09-06-2007 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who's watching The Bachelor with me? Eyewhites? Odell? One of you guys has to take Sniper's place and talk about the girls with me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind us as it gets closer. I hope it is as good as Age of Love.

Blarg 09-07-2007 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this an american version, cuz it's an old show in the uk: ramsay's kitchen nightmares?

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding, based on extensive reading of some post here where somebody said so, is that it's a new American version.

rothko 09-07-2007 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

man vs. wild was staged

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_vs._Wild

diebitter 09-07-2007 04:02 AM

I'm looking forward to The Bionic Woman. First the lead is an English actress doing American which is interesting casting for a lead. and second her handler is Miguel Ferrer (Albert from Twin Peaks), who is always worth watching.

Taso 09-07-2007 05:22 AM

House is also coming back for its 4th season.

skunkworks 09-07-2007 05:39 AM

Aloysius heartily recommends Pushing Daisies and claims it is ABC's best new show this fall.

"I'm totally gay! Also, watch Pushing Daisies."
-Aloysius

I may be misquoting him a touch.

jjshabado 09-07-2007 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked house for about half a season. Then I realized that it has the "Home Improvement Syndrome" where every episode has the exact same plot structure. Its like a mad libs script and the writers just pick new medical terms to fill in the blanks.

MrWookie 09-07-2007 11:02 AM

Skunk,

So that's on Wednesdays, too? I think I'll have room on my DVR, but the premise doesn't grip me quite as much. Still, Al knows what he's talking about when it comes to TV.

Dominic 09-07-2007 12:50 PM

oh yeah, and of course - The Shield

skunkworks 09-07-2007 01:33 PM

MrWookie,

The premise for Pushing Daisies seems gimmicky and more suited to be a 12-issue comic book miniseries, but I'll give the first few episodes a chance on the DVR. If it sucks, I'll let Aloysius fall on the sword for that. In general though, his level of taste is high.

Also, I am strongly considering re-adding on HBO to my cable package so I can watch Season 5 of The Wire, but that's coming out in February '08 and isn't germane to this thread.

Dominic 09-07-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's what happens in every episode of House:

NURSE: "House, why are you so mean?"

HOUSE: "[censored] you."

NURSE: "ZOMG! This poor child has a weird disease no one has ever hear of, what is it, what should we do??"

HOUSE: "I'll figure it out."

PARENTS OF SICK KID: "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

NURSE: "House, thank you so much, you're great!"

HOUSE "[censored] you."

(I posed this in a House thread a while ago)

Aloysius 09-07-2007 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MrWookie,

The premise for Pushing Daisies seems gimmicky and more suited to be a 12-issue comic book miniseries, but I'll give the first few episodes a chance on the DVR. If it sucks, I'll let Aloysius fall on the sword for that. In general though, his level of taste is high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... thanks I guess [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I've actually only seen the pilot for Pushing Daisies, have not gotten a chance to view other episodes. But in the many years I've been a part of pilot seasons, this screening received one of the best responses I've seen, almost uniformly praised as "amazing".

The premise is very high concept and seems gimmicky, but it's executed brilliantly... the acting is very good and the writing is very above average for a network one-hour.

Also Barry Sonnenfeld directed the pilot, and is slated to direct future episodes. The look of the world he creates is really captivating (think Edward Scissorhands-esque).

So I would definitely recommend watching the premiere, and seeing if it's something you'd enjoy and want to stick with.

-Al

KOTLP 09-07-2007 02:12 PM

Next to The Office, I'm most anticipating Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO) Sunday, Sept. 10, 10 p.m. I can't get enough of neurotic Larry.

filsteal 09-07-2007 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely will watch The Office. I really don't want Pam and Jim to get together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy.

I'm pretty sure that at some point, I started caring more about how Jim and Pam turned out than I did about how my own romantic situations turned out in real life.

They should do a Jim and Pam sex tape and sell it for like $100 a copy. There'd be buyers.

skunkworks 09-07-2007 05:38 PM

Jenna Fischer (aka Pam Beesly) has separated from her husband, James Gunn. filsteal - let us gogogo

gusmahler 09-07-2007 06:17 PM

Shows that I will follow this season:

* Curb Your Enthusiasm

* CSI (The Las Vegas one, can't stand the other two).

* NCIS

* The Unit (probably my favorite network show)

Don't know what days any of those shows will air--I rely on my DVR to record it for me.

gusmahler 09-07-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be watching Dancing with the Stars with you but I gotta say I'm not too excited about the new celebs at the moment. I hate change [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
Jennie Garth aged remarkably well. I saw her on Celebrity Poker, not knowing who she was and I thought she looked fantastic. With Josie Moran also on the show, looks like they're trying to up the "hot women" quota.

Mark Cuban, I could do without.

I haven't regularly watched since season 2, so maybe I'll check it out this season.

katyseagull 09-07-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy.

I'm pretty sure that at some point, I started caring more about how Jim and Pam turned out than I did about how my own romantic situations turned out in real life.

They should do a Jim and Pam sex tape and sell it for like $100 a copy. There'd be buyers.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no no. What are you thinking? Jim and Pam should not get together until the very last episode. That would ruin the whole show for me. And I'm not sure Jim is right for her anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

MrWookie 09-07-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Jennie Garth aged remarkably well. I saw her on Celebrity Poker, not knowing who she was and I thought she looked fantastic. With Josie Moran also on the show, looks like they're trying to up the "hot women" quota.

I haven't regularly watched since season 2, so maybe I'll check it out this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The strange thing is that the hot girls tend not to do so well. Laila Ali isn't bad looking, but she's not a classically "hot" woman unless you dig Amazons. She definitely was a sexy dancer, though. OTOH, the two models last season got voted off right away. And look at earlier seasons. The successful women have been Lisa Rinna and Monique Whoeversheis. They're not exactly gracing the pages of Maxim. I think it's that not enough men watch this show, and those that do end up voting for the sports heroes over the models.

katyseagull 09-07-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, Jennie Garth does look great! But Marie Osmond and Wayne Newton? gaghh.

I would love it if you would watch with us! The more the better. It's a lot of fun and always impressive to see how some of the "stars" are able to improve so fast. Man, I wish you could have seen Apollo this past season. Omg.

katyseagull 09-07-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shows that I will follow this season:

* Curb Your Enthusiasm

Don't know what days any of those shows will air--I rely on my DVR to record it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to watch CYE this season. I've missed so many seasons though. I'm not sure if I need to see them to catch up or not.

I wonder how they will handle his divorce? Has it already been addressed?

MrWookie 09-07-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, Jennie Garth does look great! But Marie Osmond and Wayne Newton? gaghh.

I would love it if you would watch with us! The more the better. It's a lot of fun and always impressive to see how some of the "stars" are able to improve so fast. Man, I wish you could have seen Apollo this past season. Omg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could definitely see Wayne Newton filling in the Jerry Springer/BRC role. The goofy older dude who's funny yet endearing, even if he's not very good, always does pretty well.

katyseagull 09-07-2007 07:04 PM

Jerry Springer actually surprised me. He was much better than I expected. But I don't know about this Wayne Newton guy. Isn't he old and overweight?

Blarg 09-07-2007 08:05 PM

He's pretty weird looking. I don't know if he's overweight because I haven't seen him in ages. He got a black belt in karate back in the days when that used to be hard, and used to keep himself in shape.