Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Are we getting ready for another war? News Story.... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=409883)

Big Steve 05-23-2007 04:14 AM

Are we getting ready for another war? News Story....

9 war ships including 2 aircraft carriers and 17,000 personnel enter the gulf.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The once and future king 05-23-2007 04:30 AM

Re: Are we getting ready for another war? News Story....

[ QUOTE ]
9 war ships including 2 aircraft carriers and 17,000 personnel enter the gulf.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just gunboat diplomacy. Yanks have to demonstrate the capability to project force and especially the means to bomb nuclear facilities, in order to strengthen there stance in negotiations with Iran.

clowntable 05-23-2007 05:12 AM

"""
On the way to the straits, a public announcement called on crew to witness “some of the most powerful ships in the world,” whose tight formation against a backdrop of the setting sun created a dramatic image of American naval might.
"""
First I laughed, then I shuddered. Then I checked my Lockheed Martin stocks.

Nielsio 05-23-2007 05:29 AM

It's..

Vietnam-Gulf of Tonkin
Japan-provoking Pearl Harbour
Germany-provoking submarine attacks

..all over again.

whiskeytown 05-23-2007 06:45 AM

ABC News's Brian Ross has a story saying that GWB has authorized the CIA's plan to destablize the government and economy of Iran.

And of course, news of this secret plan leaks out as the Govt. conducts wargames within the range of Iranian weapons.

Almost like we're daring them to do something about our attempts to destablize the region. And documentation from before the Iraqi War shows that the powers that be were willing to try to create situations to provoke a hostile response to justify escalation.

Meanwhile GWB invited pro-family leaders like James Dobson to the White House recently - not to talk about gay rights or abortion, but his plans for Iran and the War on Terror - Dobson then had a week of "pro-family" cheerleading on his radio program for military action in Iran with "prophecy" fiction writers and the secular "expert" analysis of Rick Santorum crying for something to be done about Iran. None of the 5 days hardly even covered Iraq - just the broadening threat of "Islamofascism" - it was almost all about Iran, and I know cause I sat thru it for 5 days to hear what they was cheerleading about.

Gulf War 2.0 - coming soon to a theater near you.

rb

ianlippert 05-23-2007 10:00 AM

I would imagine the US cannot afford another all out war. When george bush declared the surge for Iraq at a measly 20K troops I new for certain that there would never be war with Iran on the same scale as the Iraq war. I guess you could just bomb the [censored] out of them though. I'm sure that wont piss anyone off.

betgo 05-23-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's..

Vietnam-Gulf of Tonkin
Japan-provoking Pearl Harbour
Germany-provoking submarine attacks

..all over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget
Spanish-American War -- Send battleship into Havana harbor which blows up.
Mexican-American War -- Send forces into disputed territory so they will be attacked.

niss 05-23-2007 12:09 PM

From the ABC News site's story:

[ QUOTE ]
"Vice President Cheney helped to lead the side favoring a military strike," said former CIA official Riedel, "but I think they have come to the conclusion that a military strike has more downsides than upsides."

[/ QUOTE ]

I am seriously coming around to the possibility that Dick Cheney makes the top 10 of most dangerous people in the world.

JOHNY CA$H 05-23-2007 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From the ABC News site's story:

[ QUOTE ]
"Vice President Cheney helped to lead the side favoring a military strike," said former CIA official Riedel, "but I think they have come to the conclusion that a military strike has more downsides than upsides."

[/ QUOTE ]

I am seriously coming around to the possibility that Dick Cheney makes the top 1 of most dangerous people in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Misfire 05-23-2007 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First I laughed, then I shuddered. Then I checked my Lockheed Martin stocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

gold.

boracay 05-23-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine the US cannot afford another all out war. When george bush declared the surge for Iraq at a measly 20K troops I new for certain that there would never be war with Iran on the same scale as the Iraq war. I guess you could just bomb the [censored] out of them though. I'm sure that wont piss anyone off.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd say you're very wrong here.

ojc02 05-24-2007 12:10 AM

Oh my god. I actually feel sick.

This is the gulf of tonkin type incident that Ron Paul warned would happen. How many times does he have to be proven right before people start to listen?

Can we PLEASE get this ass-hat president out of office before he totally fs up absolutely everything??

latefordinner 05-24-2007 01:05 AM

I can't imagine this administration is really as crazy as I sometimes pretend they are. There's absolutely no way that even an air-based engagement with Iran would be anything other than completely and absolutely disasterous. Even just on a political level, I would imagine that bombing Iran would pretty much destroy the Republican party for the next 8 years or so.

Richard Tanner 05-24-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine this administration is really as crazy as I sometimes pretend they are. There's absolutely no way that even an air-based engagement with Iran would be anything other than completely and absolutely disasterous. Even just on a political level, I would imagine that bombing Iran would pretty much destroy the Republican party for the next 8 years or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it would destroy the Reds, I think everyone sees George W as a sort of anomoly. He'll be gone in 2 years, problem solved (hopefully).

Cody

Woolygimp 05-24-2007 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd say you're very wrong here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The United States has 2 million active service personnel.
We've already sunk the entire Iranian navy without a single casualty once.

The United States are the bad guys. The Iranians are great.
All praise to Allah and may he destroy the Jews in 'one storm'. The Iranians are a shining example of justice, murdering a 13 year old girl who's only crime was that she was raped by soldiers and lost and was no longer pure. The Iranians obey international law by kidnapping British sailors...twice. Their diplomatic relations are nothing but brilliant, especially when they openly declare that they will wipe Israel from the face of the map.

QuadsOverQuads 05-24-2007 06:18 AM

Woolygimp:

Do you intend to enlist?

q/q

Woolygimp 05-24-2007 06:23 AM

Seriously considered to a military academy for college and getting commissioned as an officer[33 on ACT/96% or something on ASVAB(sp)], but I had health problems around my 17th birthday which took that opportunity off the table.

To be honest, I would've loved to fly helicopters if capable.

MidGe 05-24-2007 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it looks like you have been sold by the romantic adverts for the armed forces. If "flying" helicopter is your idea of fun, I would suggest civilian helicopter piloting. Of course, if you'd like to crash helicopters or being shot down in a helicopter...

Ah, the naivety of youth! How could we have a war without it?

NapoleonDolemite 05-24-2007 08:56 AM

Well, of course we're getting ready for another war! But it won't be until the next president is in office.

Woolygimp 05-24-2007 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it looks like you have been sold by the romantic adverts for the armed forces. If "flying" helicopter is your idea of fun, I would suggest civilian helicopter piloting. Of course, if you'd like to crash helicopters or being shot down in a helicopter...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very a very pacifist and compassionate person, but if your out in the real world you have to realize that conflict is part of our nature. Some individuals on a basic level love to fight, and others are just batshit insane. There are several countries where these individuals gain control of a country, and they will not see reason and logic as you do.

I'm not the naive one who thinks MAD is the end all deterrent. Nuclear war, as of right now, is inevitable because war is inevitable.

And me saying that I'd enjoy flying helicopters? That doesn't necessarily mean that I'd enjoy combat with one, as there are plenty of non-combat helicopter assigned roles in the military such as supply and medivac. I'm not filthy rich, so I can't buy a civilian craft and I'm not interested in a civilian chopper profession.

I absolutely enjoy shooting guns, and own a couple. Doesn't mean that I'd enjoy shooting a person.

pvn 05-24-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very a very pacifist and compassionate person, but if your out in the real world you have to realize that conflict is part of our nature. Some individuals on a basic level love to fight, and others are just batshit insane. There are several countries where these individuals gain control of a country, and they will not see reason and logic as you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.pocanticohills.org/usa02/...tm_txt_usa.gif

http://www.thesmokehammer.com/images/bush_head2.jpg

http://grus.berkeley.edu/~jrg/Mirror...am_Product.jpg

Woolygimp 05-24-2007 11:36 AM

Wow, nice troll; I didn't see that one coming...no really... Even if we had an insane war mongering president, we have a system of checks and balances and believe it or not he could not start a nuclear war because he felt Jews were unclean.

latefordinner 05-24-2007 01:44 PM

I would bet my entire bankroll that if Israel would come clean about its nukes and agree to decommission them and agree to a nuke-free ME that Iran wouldn't pursue nuclear weapon capabilities and would agree to oversight.

Case Closed 05-24-2007 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, nice troll; I didn't see that one coming...no really... Even if we had an insane war mongering president, we have a system of checks and balances and believe it or not he could not start a nuclear war because he felt Jews were unclean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah checks and balances. Like if the congress wanted to stop a renegade president's illegal with a large mandate form the people of this country then it would be easily done. God bless America.

Woolygimp 05-24-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah checks and balances. Like if the congress wanted to stop a renegade president's illegal with a large mandate form the people of this country then it would be easily done. God bless America.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah because everyone in America thinks we should withdraw from Iraq. Not everybody shares your opinion, k thx.

pvn 05-24-2007 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, thank God that the federal government is acting as a check upon itself!

[ QUOTE ]
The War between the States established . . . this principle, that the federal government is, through its courts, the final judge of its own powers.

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Woodrow Wilson

[ QUOTE ]
If the federal government were ever to become the sole judge of the limits of its own powers through its own courts, then there would eventually be no limits to those powers and the Constitution would effectively become a dead letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Thomas Jefferson

Woolygimp 05-24-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The War between the States established . . . this principle, that the federal government is, through its courts, the final judge of its own powers.

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Woodrow Wilson

[ QUOTE ]
If the federal government were ever to become the sole judge of the limits of its own powers through its own courts, then there would eventually be no limits to those powers and the Constitution would effectively become a dead letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Thomas Jefferson

[/ QUOTE ]

Quotes can easily be taken out of context, and if you feel that you are oppressed by the United States government then you have the right to get the hell out of dodge. Seriously, so much anti-US sentiment on this board but what you don't realize is that we have the oldest consistent government in the world.

America is one of the youngest countries, but with the oldest government. We are obviously doing something right.

Aytumious 05-24-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Woodrow Wilson

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Thomas Jefferson

[/ QUOTE ]

Quotes can easily be taken out of context, and if you feel that you are oppressed by the United States government then you have the right to get the hell out of dodge. Seriously, so much anti-US sentiment on this board but what you don't realize is that we have the oldest consistent government in the world.

America is one of the youngest countries, but with the oldest government. We are obviously doing something right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps he'd like to stay and possibly see this country get back to its roots before it rots to death.

Woolygimp 05-24-2007 08:09 PM

Change in government is inevitable, but it's very difficult to tell whether or not the above poster wants America to turn into AC land with a comment like that above.

Back to our roots? The federal government was strengthened over 150 years ago, a change that cost the lives of over half a million Americans.

If anyone should be arguing against a strong federal government it should be me, since I'm from Louisiana; A state that has had several hundred billion dollars in oil revenue stolen from it in the last 60 years. We are the 48th poorest state, yet have some of the largest oil reserves? Did you know that for several decades we were the only state to not receive a dime from our oil revenue, a ruling that was just overturned after Katrina when Blanco threatened to sue Washington? Washington caved in and we are finally getting 35%, which is better than nothing.

QuadsOverQuads 05-24-2007 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah because everyone in America thinks we should withdraw from Iraq. Not everybody shares your opinion, k thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

70%.
And counting.

(90% if you subtract the Young Republicans who want war but won't serve).

q/q

pvn 05-24-2007 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Woodrow Wilson

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

~ Thomas Jefferson

[/ QUOTE ]

Quotes can easily be taken out of context,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they can. If you feel this is one of those times, please, feel free to rip it to shreds. With some actual arguments, of course, not just vague insinuations.

[ QUOTE ]
and if you feel that you are oppressed by the United States government then you have the right to get the hell out of dodge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love it or leave it. Right on time.

"Checks and Balances FTW!"
"LOL what checks?"
"Uh, GTFO then!"

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, so much anti-US sentiment on this board but what you don't realize is that we have the oldest consistent government in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

non-sequitur. Age says nothing of quality, much less morality. Ford is older than Toyota, so now we know everything we need to know about who has the "better" cars, right?

whiskeytown 05-24-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

70%.
And counting.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

the 101st fighting keyboardists are out too - I'm just waiting for the next great immigration plan to tie military service on a fast path to citizenship a la Starship Troopers.

However you need English speaking immigrants. Too bad Ireland is in the middle of an economic boom right now.

rb

MuresanForMVP 05-25-2007 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

70%.
And counting.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the guy who always says "if you support the war then enlist" right?

Woolygimp 05-25-2007 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

70%.
And counting.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he is. From the poll I read only 28% of the American population wants an immediate withdrawal from Iraq, with 38% wanting to finish the job. The rest want a timetable.

MuresanForMVP 05-25-2007 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

70%.
And counting.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he is. From the poll I read only 28% of the American population wants an immediate withdrawal from Iraq, with 38% wanting to finish the job. The rest want a timetable.

[/ QUOTE ]

the "if you support the war then enlist" argument is so unbelievably retarded I just can't bear it. Surely you can't believe it to be legitimate QoQ?

Copernicus 05-26-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet my entire bankroll that if Israel would come clean about its nukes and agree to decommission them and agree to a nuke-free ME that Iran wouldn't pursue nuclear weapon capabilities and would agree to oversight.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMFAO

ShakeZula06 05-26-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

70%.
And counting.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the "if you support the war then enlist" argument is so unbelievably retarded I just can't bear it. Surely you can't believe it to be legitimate QoQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why isn't it? You want other to die for it, but not yourself?

clowntable 05-26-2007 11:39 AM

Just because one supports a war doesn't mean one has to enlist. The free market will let the best soldiers do the fighting and the others do the rest.
There is for example a need for high quality and cheap weapons in any war. Why would I as the owner (or worker in) of such a shop enlist?

MuresanForMVP 05-26-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

70%.
And counting.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why isn't it? You want other to die for it, but not yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you support environmentalism? Fine, then sell your car, and ride a skateboard. Only purchase biodegradable products, buy the more expensive but more environmentally friendly light bulbs etc,etc. Just because you support something doesn't mean you have to take an active part in it in the way you and QoQ suggest

ShakeZula06 05-26-2007 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because one supports a war doesn't mean one has to enlist. The free market will let the best soldiers do the fighting and the others do the rest.
There is for example a need for high quality and cheap weapons in any war. Why would I as the owner (or worker in) of such a shop enlist?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good point.