Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Official September sales numbers (360 takes it, PS3 falling further) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=527673)

Dire 10-21-2007 08:34 AM

Official September sales numbers (360 takes it, PS3 falling further)

Hardware Unit Sales - Changes over August in parenthesis
Xbox 360 527.8K (+251.1k)
Wii 501K (+98.6k)
Nintendo DS 495.8K (+112.5k)
PlayStation Portable 284.5K (+133.3k)
PlayStation 2 215K (+13k)
PlayStation 3 119.4K (-11.2k)
Game Boy Advance 75K (+5.5k)

Software Sales
1. 360 HALO 3* 3.3 million
2. WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 282K
3. NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS 224K
4. PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 205K
5. 360 SKATE 175K
6. 360 MADDEN NFL 08 173K
7. WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION 167K
8. 360 BIOSHOCK 150K
9. NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES 141K
10. PS3 HEAVENLY SWORD 139K

Numbers from NPD

Dire 10-21-2007 08:40 AM

Re: Official September sales numbers (360 takes it, PS3 falling further)

An incredible jump for the 360 into first fueled by Halo 3. The Wii doesn't seem to be slowing down either as it also has its best month ever. The PS3 continues to fall in the same month Heavenly Sword is released.

Next month will be critical for the PS3 and the 360. The $400 stripped down PS3 package could potentially provide a much needed boost to PS3 sales as it gets closer in price to the 360. Just as important will be to see if the 360 can maintain its momentum provided by Halo 3, or if it will just be a short term boost. And of course there's the Wii, which just continues to sell units at a phenomenal pace - but Wii games aren't selling nearly as well. Will this change as we get closer to the holidays?

Freakin 10-21-2007 10:41 AM

Re: Official September sales numbers (360 takes it, PS3 falling furth

You know it's bad when the last gen console is outselling the current-gen by almost 2:1.

And I agree that 360 numbers aren't terribly relevant this month cause of Halo

Shoe 10-21-2007 11:58 AM

It will be intresting to see if the xbox can sustain those numbers. Halo definitely gave them a huge bump, and there were some great TV + Xbox + Halo deals out there that I'm sure increase their sales as well (I got a 50" TV, xbox elite + halo for about $1100, it was basically a free xbox if I bought the TV, i paid an extra $100 to get the elite). I have no idea how many xbox's were sold through deals like these, but I'm sure there were a lot that might otherwise not have been sold. Mine was through best buy and that sale lasted several days.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the 360 here, I think it is a great console and hope it continues to do well.

I also would love to see how many wii's could be sold in a month if the supply problem didn't exist. They continue to sell out as soon as they hit the shelves. Simply amazing.

g-bebe 10-21-2007 12:04 PM

why was Heavenly Sword expected to turn the PS3 around? I played 25 minutes of the game in an ebgames store and it was horrible. Nothing new or exciting about it.

Shoe 10-21-2007 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why was Heavenly Sword expected to turn the PS3 around? I played 25 minutes of the game in an ebgames store and it was horrible. Nothing new or exciting about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised it made the top 10. I didn't even know there were 139k people that have already bought a PS3 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TheSalche 10-21-2007 10:18 PM

Basically no way for xbox to sustain numbers that high for Oct/Nov. But obviously there will be a huge spike in December.

wonderwes 10-22-2007 12:15 AM

360 has outsold the ps3 for quite sometime. Why is this news? You didn't expect with the launch of Halo3 it would not skyrocket? The Wii outsells everyone yet by many of us has the least attractive gaming lineup. People buy what they want. Just because everyone is doing it, does not mean we should all conform and buy a 360.

Buy what you feel like playing on.

Again to you Dire I ask you, can you make any relevant posts? Ever Eva Ever?

ThaSaltCracka 10-22-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically no way for xbox to sustain numbers that high for Oct/Nov. But obviously there will be a huge spike in December.

[/ QUOTE ]well, MS did just throw in 2 games with the Pro bundle. Surely that will help with holiday sales.

The PS3 also has a lower price for the newest edition, the one that doesn't play PS2 games(Weeeeeee!)

Dudd 10-22-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
360 has outsold the ps3 for quite sometime. Why is this news? You didn't expect with the launch of Halo3 it would not skyrocket? The Wii outsells everyone yet by many of us has the least attractive gaming lineup. People buy what they want. Just because everyone is doing it, does not mean we should all conform and buy a 360.

Buy what you feel like playing on.

Again to you Dire I ask you, can you make any relevant posts? Ever Eva Ever?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pertinent post about the business side of video games. If you don't enjoy these posts and prefer to simply discuss the games that come out, why would you click on a thread that is clearly about sales numbers?

jalapenoguy 10-22-2007 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they sold over 600K units last november and over a million in december. 360 should be pushing around 2.5 million systems oct-dec in the us this year.

AceLuby 10-23-2007 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they sold over 600K units last november and over a million in december. 360 should be pushing around 2.5 million systems oct-dec in the us this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the under on the 2.5 million mark.

astroglide 10-28-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i couldn't make it through the demo. i think heavenly sword is like god of war, only worse. that might be said about most action/adventure games, though.

Chilltown 10-28-2007 06:23 PM

I love to see Nintendo doing great after the semi disappointments in the 64 and GameCube.

1 million hardware units in a month (DS/Wii/GBA combined) is great for business. I was worried before the Wii launched that if it flops then Nintendo might stick to handhelds and develop for other systems like Sega but I was way off. I don't believe that will ever happen now.

jah7_fsu1 10-28-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love to see Nintendo doing great after the semi disappointments in the 64 and GameCube.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way. Although I don't consider the N64 a big disappointment, it just didn't win, it had some great games...some of my all time favorites. Now the gamecube...I just felt that was a console with very few good games for it. Even some of Nintendo's games weren't that good. Overall GC is by far my least favorite Nintendo console ever.

ThaSaltCracka 10-29-2007 01:23 AM

I personally thought N64 won. But then again, I basically only played Goldeneye, MK64, M64, and NFL Blitz.

housenuts 10-29-2007 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1 million hardware units in a month (DS/Wii/GBA combined)

[/ QUOTE ]

why do people still buy gba's? that's like someone buying a gamecube now, which i guess they do, but seriously, get a grip.

Chilltown 10-29-2007 03:53 AM

Same reason people still buy PS2...extremely cheap and a lot of games for it.

I think 64 is my favorite system ever...just it "lost" and Sony really did a good job at bringing 3rd parties to develop for them in years to come. I don't see how 3rd parties are not flocking to the Wii with all these sales but its still early I guess.

teh_mewse 10-29-2007 08:29 AM

this thread is pointless. Coming from someone owns every big selling console ever made, who recently bought a ps3, it just blows xbox360 out of the water. Its not even close. Thats not a knock on the 360 either. When i got my 360 i was EXTREMELY pleased... but the ps3 just leaves you with a "wow" feeling. Now all it needs is assassins creed, gran turismo 5, gta4, killzone 2 (wow wanting that one a while), metal gear solid, etc etc

4 High 10-29-2007 09:06 AM

Grab Ratchet and Clank. SICKSICKSICK.

ThaSaltCracka 10-29-2007 10:57 AM

360 is getting GTA4 and Assasins Creed.

capone0 10-29-2007 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is pointless. Coming from someone owns every big selling console ever made, who recently bought a ps3, it just blows xbox360 out of the water. Its not even close. Thats not a knock on the 360 either. When i got my 360 i was EXTREMELY pleased... but the ps3 just leaves you with a "wow" feeling. Now all it needs is assassins creed, gran turismo 5, gta4, killzone 2 (wow wanting that one a while), metal gear solid, etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow about what? The look? The games obviously haven't impressed you.

daaaaahawkz 10-29-2007 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow about what? The look? The games obviously haven't impressed you.

[/ QUOTE ]

cmon people there is more to a console than just video games. i am also one who has owned every major gaming console ever released and i gotta say the ps3 is absolutely amazing....a way better deal at 500 dollars than any of the 360 packages. the system has only been out 1 year... 1 YEAR

give it 6 more months and everyone will be looking at the game selection in a totally different light

capone0 10-29-2007 01:35 PM

I don't want to buy a system and let it sit for 1 year when there is a perfectly good system with similar things with much better games. 1 year sitting on my shelf is worth a lot to me.

ThaSaltCracka 10-29-2007 01:45 PM

How else are you suppose to gauge a system other than the games it has and how they are played on them? I mean, yeah blu-ray is cool, but you bought it to play games, right?

AceLuby 10-29-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to buy a system and let it sit for 1 year when there is a perfectly good system with similar things with much better games. 1 year sitting on my shelf is worth a lot to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What games did you play the first year of the 360 (as in games released before last Nov)?

capone0 10-29-2007 02:16 PM

DOA4-Decent nothing special.
Madden 2006-Nothing really special.
Fifa 2006-I liked it.
NBA 2k6-Pretty fun.
Project Gathom-Bought it but nothing special.

Honestly, I don't play my 360 that much now, I think Bioshock looks cool, Halo is alright but I'm not the biggest fan of FPS on consoles, I have Madden 2008 but I'd rather play Team Fortress 2 on my computer. Waiting for the new W11 to come out more than anything. I played the last W11 pretty much all summer other than work, poker and hanging out.

capone0 10-29-2007 02:20 PM

The fact of the matter is the 360 first year games are still better than the PS3 games. Even the ports are better on the 360 right now. I don't have any reason why, they should be similar based on specs. Honestly, I was pro-PS3 before I got the 360 but the PS3 so far has been disappointing. Nobody is buying it, the games have been disappointing. Please give me some good reasons to buy the PS3 other than the games coming out may or maybe great. Right now the PS3 looks like a bomb, hopefully it can survive b/c I doesn't help me if a system fails. Honestly if the PS3 had some sick games I was interested in playing that weren't on the 360 I have, I would buy it. But right now there is nothing compelling me to buy it. Not even the blu-ray which I was once very pro isn't a good enough reason now that I have an HD-DVD player.

AceLuby 10-29-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DOA4-Decent nothing special.
Madden 2006-Nothing really special.
Fifa 2006-I liked it.
NBA 2k6-Pretty fun.
Project Gathom-Bought it but nothing special.

Honestly, I don't play my 360 that much now, I think Bioshock looks cool, Halo is alright but I'm not the biggest fan of FPS on consoles, I have Madden 2008 but I'd rather play Team Fortress 2 on my computer. Waiting for the new W11 to come out more than anything. I played the last W11 pretty much all summer other than work, poker and hanging out.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point (that you pretty much prove) is that in the first year of a system it is pretty rare to have a really great game. Halo is really the only exception I can think of here. All the games you listed were, 'pretty fun' or 'decent', which the PS3 has lots of games that are 'pretty fun' or 'decent'. It was a while before Bioshock, Gears of War, or Halo came out (which are all shooters) which are the must have games for the 360 now. Compare to the first year of the PS3 for games that I had (very similar IMO):

Madden 07: Decent, but slow
Ninja Gaiden: Fun, hard, pretty good graphics
Oblivion: Time waster, and great fun
Resistance: Good FPS, Huge online games are really fun

AceLuby 10-29-2007 02:38 PM

Also, regarding the no one is buying it argument. It is pretty much matching sales for the first year of the 360 when the 360 had zero competition and had a lower price point. It is far from bombing.

scotchnrocks 10-29-2007 02:55 PM

Having owned the PS3 for about 6 months before I sold it and picked up a 360, here's my opinion.

PS3 has the superior console as far as features. The ease of using the hard drive for whatever you want is very cool. I played Resistance a ton, and I don't understand why this game didn't rate better. After GTA IV got delayed, I didn't see anything in the near future that interested me so I sold it. Sure it will get there eventually, but the 360's age on the market gives it a huge upper hand.

So I picked up the 360 and now I have a lot of games to choose from, enough that I never get bored like I did after beating Resistance 4 times and once on superhuman difficulty.

It's a shame that the PS3 is always cast in such a bad light because no one cares about how it compares to the 360's first year. It doesn't really matter though because the fact is that the 360 has been out longer and has more and better games, and that's what people want and pay for, not performance on a relative time scale.

Nicholasp27 10-29-2007 03:10 PM

ps3 may beat 360 yet...a few arguments:

a) it is selling better than/same as 360 did its first year
b) it's doing a) even tho it has to compete with 360/wii while 360 had no next-gen competition and ps3 cost more
c) sony has bigger brand when it comes to video games...once it has a good library people will forget this past year and buy it cause they remember ps2's selection
d) 360 doesn't sell well in asia, specifically japan...

so i wouldn't count the ps3 out yet...what may doom ps3 is the fact that it is behind the other 2 so lack of developer support is what would harm it...if it gets developer support at some point, then games start coming out, then it will do even better

Dire 10-29-2007 03:18 PM

The problem with the poor PS3 sales isn't so much the sales themself, but that it can lead to a vicious cycle for the long term. People are not buying a PS3 due to a poor selection of games. Developers are not rushing to make games for it since it has the smallest userbase and that userbase is rapidly shrinking relative to the other two major consoles. So you end up with people not buying it because there's no games and developers not making games for it since nobody's buying it.

Dire 10-29-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps3 may beat 360 yet...a few arguments:

a) it is selling better than/same as 360 did its first year
b) it's doing a) even tho it has to compete with 360/wii while 360 had no next-gen competition and ps3 cost more
c) sony has bigger brand when it comes to video games...once it has a good library people will forget this past year and buy it cause they remember ps2's selection
d) 360 doesn't sell well in asia, specifically japan...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 360 has been competing with the PS3 since the day the 360 was launched. Everybody expected the PS3 to be an absolutely phenomenal system. Just consider how many people do you know that decided to just wait for a PS3 instead of picking up a 360. On another level the 360 has also been competing with itself to shed the image that it created with the original XBox.

ThaSaltCracka 10-29-2007 03:49 PM

Sony made a massive [censored] with the initial machine and its price. I wonder how many people were on the fence between the two, then heard the price for PS3 and were like "damn, well 360 time", just my 2 cents.

vulturesrow 10-29-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sony made a massive [censored] with the initial machine and its price. I wonder how many people were on the fence between the two, then heard the price for PS3 and were like "damn, well 360 time", just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be me.

AceLuby 10-29-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 360 is not cheaper if you want HDMI, a big HDD, and wireless (not to mention HD-DVD capability), but it is nice that you don't have to get it all at the same time if you don't want to.

ThaSaltCracka 10-29-2007 04:39 PM

My 360 came with a HDMI, HD, and wireless controller for 350.

scotchnrocks 10-29-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My 360 came with a HDMI, HD, and wireless controller for 350.

[/ QUOTE ]

That happened at a point in time where the PS3 was also cheaper at $500 and still had a larger HD, wireless connectivity ($100 for 360) and a blu ray player ($180 equivalent for 360).

goofyballer 10-29-2007 05:30 PM

Is it possible to really max out your HD usage? I'm yet to come even close to filling up my 20 gig HD (that's how big the standard one w/ the premium system is, right?), and I download a fair amount of demos and stuff, but I don't even play most of them anymore so I could easily delete them and be back up to 10gb free anytime I need space. The 120gb drive on the Elite just seems ridic. wtf could you possibly fill that up with?