Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   180 man sngs on stars..... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=469998)

dragon potts 08-05-2007 05:08 PM

180 man sngs on stars.....

im taking a break from cash games and im gonna start mtt'ing...i wanna start slow and play these 180 mans for a few weeks...im just curious if anyone has had success at these and if so, what the strategy they used is? u only start off with 1500 chips which sux but i still think i can this profitable...any tips would be helpful, thanks...

SuperUberBob 08-05-2007 05:26 PM

Re: 180 man sngs on stars.....

Start tight and gradually loosen up.

Play to win, not to cash.

illini43 08-05-2007 05:42 PM

Check the anthology in here or MTTc for posts pertaining to this topic.

dragon potts 08-06-2007 01:40 AM

anyone play these 180 mans regularly at a decent profit??

illini43 08-06-2007 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone play these 180 mans regularly at a decent profit??

[/ QUOTE ]

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION [censored]

4CardStraight 08-06-2007 01:55 AM

yes you can play these profitably.

All relevant MTT strategies apply:
Play tight early, but dont forget to mine for monsters too
(call behind with pp sc and sa when appropriate looking to hit big hands and get all in against tptk)
Loosen up on the bubble and abuse others that play too tight looking to cash.
Play for final table, and in particular first place.
Push your edges.
Dont be third to the all in pot with AQo
AK is always the nuts.
33 is never the nuts.

Any other questions?

Bruut99 08-06-2007 07:16 AM

Yeah.. it is a complete minefield.. so watch out.

AScorz 08-06-2007 07:41 AM

I don't play them regularly, but I have won a few 4 dollar ones. You really don't start getting to play poker untill the final 4-5 tables. The rest is simply waiting for position and monsters.

BigPoppa 08-06-2007 08:04 AM

I run so, so bad in those things.

Typically I slowly build a big stack, then lose almost all of it on one hand when some idiot hits his 3 outer with A-rag. I'm sure if I played enough of them the swings would even out, but for now I'm just getting reamed.

That said, since idiots will play for all their chips preflop with A-rag or low PP you just need to wait for solid hands and bet them hard.

Also, never fold AK on an Axx flop regardless of how much heat you get. 75% of Villain's range will always be an Ace with a crappy kicker, and he will play it the same as a set or two pair.

Bruut99 08-06-2007 08:22 AM

I notice the same as above poster. Slowly build a big stack and then hit a landmine. Out of the 180 players there are at least 100 BAD players. The last two i went out as 9-18th. First one i call a K10 bluf at a Q 4 6 flop with JJ before an K on the river comes and the second one was even worse. Some dude raises 3x BB utg with 88. I reraise 10x BB with AA. He calls. flop came 9 10 J. Villain checks. I bet the pot and he reraises me all in. Q on the river. It's really hard to not get mad after playing 3 hours. Anyways good luck to you.

typically 08-06-2007 10:33 AM

TAG to start the first couple of levels, TAG if you are short in mid levels (there will ALWAYS be someone to give you action on your monsters if you wait for them; overplay these if you are short). Loosen up somewhat with the big stack, although this depends majorly on the chip distribution and looseness of players at your table.

At the late stages you need to play according to your stack. With a shorty, be crazily patient; it is hugely frustrating when you get raped by the blinds on a loose table without making any moves and then getting busted on your AQ or whatever, but trust me you need to have buddha-like patience in this position. Push wherever you see an opening however.

With big stack play the opposite. If you are comfortable playing LAG, here's the spot for it. Cold-call raises that are not pushes and play some flops, particularly from players with medium to small stacks whom you have good reads on; open raise (or even limp) wherever possible in MP to LP. The point is that you can afford to have fun with your image here, and scare the [censored] out of people by varying your plays. Don't get crazy, and run away wherever someone shows strength, but basically you want to be much looser here, particularly with shorties at the table who are obviously afraid of busting before the bubble. Be super-conscious of your image. Having a big stack at this stage is really fun poker :P

ssnyc 08-06-2007 10:53 AM

typically nailed it...like most MTTs I think stack awareness (both your own and your and others) is the most important thing...Also the hard part is waiting while others get to snag chips and get action...I've limped into the money many times and won as chips swings and moves are most important late...ral poker is played at the final two table...

Most important thing I am learning is that you need to be willing to play in a lot beacuse NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU play the unwashed masses will still catch you with junk...

Practice with 9/ 18 person SNGs so you are comfortable so that you can make the most of it when you do get deep....Most times I get to FTs and the others have no clue and I can run over them with my experience...

MJBuddy 08-06-2007 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of the 180 players there are at least 165 BAD players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quercus 08-06-2007 11:13 AM

The field in these things is tougher than in the larger MTTs on Stars. The regulars/fish ratio is fairly poor so there isn't as much dead money available.

I only add the 180s now when I can't fill up with other tournaments.