Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   BBV4Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Laughing by yourself? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539741)

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 02:46 PM

Laughing by yourself?

One of my roommates is down in the living room watching tv and he is laughing by himself. I find this really lame and weird. He does it all the time, even when he is in his room watching movies.

If I am sitting here watching tv, or watching a video, and I find it funny, I might laugh to myself, but he is making a full out laugh like he can't hold it in.

Does anyone else laugh by yourself when no one is around? And what is your opinion on the matter.

bmwguy525 11-06-2007 02:47 PM

Re: Laughing by yourself?

LOZL you obviously must have a broken sense of humor

bravos1 11-06-2007 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOZL you obviously must have a broken sense of humor

[/ QUOTE ]

tarheeljks 11-06-2007 02:49 PM

if something is funny to you then you laugh. are you laughing for someone else/to draw attention to yourself?

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if something is funny to you then you laugh. are you laughing for someone else/to draw attention to yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see if your watching tv/movie with someone and you laugh, but by yourself?

I just don't get it.

tarheeljks 11-06-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see if your watching tv/movie with someone and you laugh, but by yourself?

I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah b/c if it's funny you will think it's funny whether you are alone or w/others. unless you are laughing just b/c they are laughing

bravos1 11-06-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why laugh when someone is there? What's the diff?

anjichpa 11-06-2007 02:56 PM

although i believe OP has broked his sense of humor, there is some merits to what he says....

laughing, like yawning or sneezing, occurs more often when in groups or with at least 1 other person

social psych ftw

PJo336 11-06-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
although i believe OP has broked his sense of humor, there is some merits to what he says....

laughing, like yawning or sneezing, occurs more often when in groups or with at least 1 other person

social psych ftw

[/ QUOTE ]
conforming ftl

PITTM 11-06-2007 02:58 PM

seriously?

mugatu668 11-06-2007 03:07 PM

I'm with OP. I aknowledge the funnies and often smile by myself, but it takes something super-hilarious to make me laugh by myself IRL. I WISH I could laugh by myself, but I've been desensitized to internet humor. I remember my first time browsing ebaumsworld picture forum and seeing the "owned" pictures. IT was the hardest I've ever laughed. Lots of people on 2+2 are kind of internet virgins so this stuff is funny to them, though.

dsalt 11-06-2007 03:07 PM

Certain types of humor can cause me to "lol" when I'm by myslef. Shows like 'the office' can cause me to laugh even if i'm by myself. However, other shows like curb your enthusiasm and most movies, even comedies, don't make me laugh unless I am in a theater, or with other people.
It's just basic psychology I suppose, the fact that other people are around makes you feel as though you should be laughing to connect with them at some level, because you are not interacting with them while paying attention to the movie/show, laughing is the only way you can all connect.

if that makes any sense

mugatu668 11-06-2007 03:09 PM

BTW, for an example of super-hilariousness, see the first few pages of this thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

and I'm totally with the guy above me. Dry humor is not LOL material by myself, just chuckling and great appreciation of the humor. Certain types of humor are not satisfying unless you laugh though.

mugatu668 11-06-2007 03:13 PM

Also, the first time I went to Maddox's website I had completely uncontrollable fits of laughter. Damn...this is making me sad thinking about how much more enjoyable the interwebs used to be

tarheeljks 11-06-2007 03:29 PM

i think it's funny that you can tell someone else what they can lol at.

edit: i only chuckled though

tarheeljks 11-06-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

social psych ftw

[/ QUOTE ]

link b/c this sounds like you pulled it out of your ass

mugatu668 11-06-2007 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's funny that you can tell someone else what they can lol at.

edit: i only chuckled though

[/ QUOTE ]
whoops, sorry if it came off like that. that's all IMO LDO

oddjob 11-06-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand only laughing when you're with people.

Smell The Glove 11-06-2007 03:42 PM

I feel sorry for op [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Franchise 60 11-06-2007 03:47 PM

Why the [censored] do you need to be with someone else to laugh? You have serious issues if you think that is weird.

tarheeljks 11-06-2007 03:50 PM

no worries. i was going for tongue and cheek; it wasn't meant to sound confrontational.

Himself 11-06-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the [censored] do you need to be with someone else to laugh? You have serious issues if you think that is weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious issues might be a bit harsh. For me, it's a matter of degree. I probably laugh louder when I'm with other people, but I don't do it on purpose and I can still laugh loudly at things by myself, it just takes slightly more.

YBravo 11-06-2007 03:59 PM

I laughed out loud by myself several times reading this thread.

g-bebe 11-06-2007 04:14 PM

i laff all the time when i read 2p2 and my roommates yell at me frmo their rooms to stfu

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 04:23 PM

It appears that some are with me, some against. Don't get me wrong, I laugh to myself, and I'll tell you what, if something can make me laugh out loud when I'm by myself, it must be pretty [censored] funny. It seems socially awkward to laugh by yourself because laughing is usually a group thing.

Triumph36 11-06-2007 04:26 PM

i laugh way too much when alone, but if i know there's someone else listening i try not to.

gimmetheloot 11-06-2007 04:29 PM

I laugh alone all the time...if something is funny enough to make me laugh, why should I care if i am alone or with others? I dont get it OP.

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I laugh alone all the time...if something is funny enough to make me laugh, why should I care if i am alone or with others? I dont get it OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean hold it in and don't laugh because everyone is going to make fun of you. I'm saying that I don't understand why someone laughs out loud when they are by themselves when a small chuckle or smile will still make you feel happy.

And just as I'm writing this, my other roommate is doing the same thing, however, I know when he does it, he's going to yell at me to come check it out.

gatorch0mp 11-06-2007 04:48 PM

Laugh by myself all the time (maybe I shouldn't reveal that)...

Seriously though... if my family's asleep or something I'll tone it down a bit, but my reactions aren't too different alone vs. in a group.... actually in some circumstances I may laugh just a little less in a group vs. alone.

I think a similar thing would be when you're watching a sports game by yourself. I'll be alone and jump and pump my fists and holler if my team scores a TD. My wife may shake her head as she walks by but I don't think she thinks I'm completely insane.

-G

Poofler 11-06-2007 04:48 PM

Um, because we often don't consciously choose to laugh? It's just a reaction.

tarheeljks 11-06-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying that I don't understand why someone laughs out loud when they are by themselves when a small chuckle or smile will still make you feel happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

who says it will? it's purely reactionary. you hear a joke on tv and you respond accordingly. you may chuckle or you may fall out of your seat. i'm not seeing how the presence of others affects that unless you don't find it funny and are only laughing b/c they are laughing.

i want anji to give a link about this. i did a quick google search but didn't see anything that said we tend to laugh more in the presence of others.

Jay Riall 11-06-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i laugh way too much when alone, but if i know there's someone else listening i try not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me too. When I was at Uni I used to piss off my flatmates by watching the UK Office at 2am and laughing so that they could all hear. Not being able to laugh would suck dick.

InstaCall 11-06-2007 05:07 PM

LOL, I do that all the time, espically if im baked. weird part is even theres no convo I would still be thinking something in my mind and jus laugh out loud. Friends got used to it but first it was pretty awkard for 'em.

Dr. Spaceman 11-06-2007 05:12 PM

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8593/robotwl2.png

ryang 11-06-2007 05:18 PM

op, you're retarted.

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
op, you're retarted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever post anything relevant?

ryang 11-06-2007 05:32 PM

you being retarted is totally relevant. you're saying you never laugh by yourself, who are you?

johnnylovescandy 11-06-2007 06:31 PM

If you can't laugh by yourself, who can you laugh by???

ItalianFX 11-06-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you being retarted is totally relevant. you're saying you never laugh by yourself, who are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you can't read.

The real question is, who are you?

Out of generosity, let me repeat. I do laugh to myself, but I don't laugh outloud when I am alone. I will smile or give a quiet laugh, but I won't make an audible laugh as if one would in a large group or with friends.

Make sense? If you still don't understand, please jump off a bridge.

anjichpa 11-06-2007 07:02 PM

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...09/ai_68148548

http://www.americanscientist.org/tem...d/24591/page/4