Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Prestigious Careers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526538)

ItalianFX 10-19-2007 12:00 PM

Prestigious Careers

I was just listening to a song and it made me think of this topic.

What do you think is the most prestigious career field? What do you think is the most satisfactory?

Would it be a doctor who goes to school for 11-15 years and has the ability to save lives?

Would it be the President who has the responsibility of policy foreign and domestic among other duties?

Would it be an entrepreneur who is the leader in innovation and imagination, the one who creates value?

Would it be the Chairman of the Federal Reserve who has the responsibility of monetary policy to ensure a stable economy, among other things?

Or is it a teacher/professor, one who teaches America's youth and dedicates their lives to education?

Or is it something else?

*I just made these up on the fly and they may not even be accurate.

Indiana 10-19-2007 12:39 PM

Re: Prestigious Careers

you forgot to add the career of pimpin hoes:)

Honestly, I think there is no better career than starting your own business, and running it successfully. I mean, anybody can get a good job, but it takes something special to start a company and create jobs for others.

Indy

stinkypete 10-19-2007 01:09 PM

web page

Americans view firefighters and doctors as having the most prestigious professions, according to a recent Harris Interactive poll.

When read a list of different occupations, 63% of respondents to the telephone poll said they feel firefighters have "very great" prestige, while 58% said doctors do. Other professions that were seen as having very great prestige included: nurses (55%), scientists (54%), teachers (52%) and military officers (51%).

The occupations seen by the fewest people as having very great prestige were: real-estate brokers (6%), stockbrokers (11%), business executives (11%), actors (12%), union leaders (12%) and journalists (12%).

lol.

ItalianFX 10-19-2007 01:13 PM

I guess that sums it up alot.

Stinky - which profession do you think is?

billygrippo 10-19-2007 04:33 PM

im currently looking for a prestigious career. anyone hiring?

SlowHabit 10-19-2007 04:39 PM

As long as he is happy and has the freedom [and means] to do anything at anytime that he wants, I consider his career prestigious.

MarkD 10-19-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

web page

Americans view firefighters and doctors as having the most prestigious professions, according to a recent Harris Interactive poll.

When read a list of different occupations, 63% of respondents to the telephone poll said they feel firefighters have "very great" prestige, while 58% said doctors do. Other professions that were seen as having very great prestige included: nurses (55%), scientists (54%), teachers (52%) and military officers (51%).

The occupations seen by the fewest people as having very great prestige were: real-estate brokers (6%), stockbrokers (11%), business executives (11%), actors (12%), union leaders (12%) and journalists (12%).

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you "lol"? The data you posted seems to be the correct answer.

PITTM 10-19-2007 06:54 PM

Because my 3 friends who are firefighters are only firefighters because they didnt go to college, couldnt get other jobs and this job has ridiculous retirement/benefits. Now thats prestige.

dibbs 10-19-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because my 3 friends who are firefighters are only firefighters because they didnt go to college, couldnt get other jobs and this job has ridiculous retirement/benefits. Now thats prestige.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be curious to see this same poll pre 9/11, in my mind this is when people seemed to go nuts over firefighters nationwide.

XXXNoahXXX 10-19-2007 07:12 PM

i'd say most prestigious is probably supreme court chief justice. you get less political ire than president, and everyone respects the institution.

Rootabager 10-19-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they risk their lives to save ppl, who cares if you didnt go to college.

MarkD 10-19-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be curious to see this same poll pre 9/11, in my mind this is when people seemed to go nuts over firefighters nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in canada. I think they would have been right up there at the top regardless of 9/11 and they should be.

Also, there level of education is irrelevant. So is their motivation for becoming a fireman in the first place IMO. They risk their lives to save other peoples lifes in important ways. That deserves a high level of presitge.

MarkD 10-19-2007 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they aren't as well educated or intelligent as you their job isn't prestigious? REALLY?

Your argument doesn't really make sense.

'Chair 10-19-2007 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

web page

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

think of the type of ppl who take the time to go through a phone survey.

SlowHabit 10-19-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

web page

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
GG.

dibbs 10-19-2007 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there level of education is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Subtle level? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But yes I agree with this sentiment.

[ QUOTE ]
So is their motivation for becoming a fireman in the first place IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, a life saving yet misanthropic doctor who only became one so his father wouldn't hate him,would and should be just as prestigious in the eyes of society.

kurosh 10-19-2007 08:31 PM

yeah right at nurses having high prestige

ArturiusX 10-19-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, firefighters always had respect of the community. 9/11 just reinforced it.

lennytheduck 10-19-2007 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've ever seen the show Rescue Me on FX it plays to this sort of thing a lot. How the firefighters got way more tail, recognition, etc (and understandably so) after 9/11. Of course they are NYPD firefighters, though I'm sure the guys fanning flames in Boise got some more cred during that time as well.

wiper 10-20-2007 12:00 AM

i certainly don't teach for the money or the prestige...any teacher will tell you it's for the summers! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] getting paid to wake up at noon, play poker all day and drink all night makes sept-may worth it...

i will say, however, that when i'm teaching, and i have literally every set of eyes in the room on me, hanging on my every word, because they're interested and learning...that's awesome. awesome.

i teach adhd kids for the most part (with autistic/bi-polar/asperger's kid thrown in), so those moments are few and far between, but i had a couple this week..and they always seem to come off the cuff...whenever i just start talking about cool [censored] i know about the world, stuff that isn't in books, they eat it up.

so yeah, i doubt 'teacher' makes it high on 'prestigious careers' lists, but there are moments where you can literally feel your worth.

then, you go home and drink.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

raptor517 10-20-2007 04:34 AM

my sister teaches special ed, and i think that is pretty noble, though i dno about prestigious. i definitely couldnt do it. i dont have the patience, and that is def something not everyone can do. shes not the biggest pine cone in the tree, but its without a doubt admirable. as far as prestige.. starting a company from the ground up is pretty awesome, creating jobs, running a business, not a lot better than that. doctor also comes to mind ofc, saving lives etc etc. all of these things are things that i cant and choose not to do, so that counts for something in my book.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-20-2007 08:18 AM

working class hero

David H 10-21-2007 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whenever i just start talking about cool [censored] i know about the world, stuff that isn't in books, they eat it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think every teacher I have ever liked has done this. Teachers that read out of the book and lecture are laaaaame.

My favorite teachers didn't feel like teachers. They were people I could relate to, and they talked about interesting topics, rather than just explain how to find the range of a function or something.

I have to assume this is pretty much standard.

ski 10-21-2007 12:12 PM

Symphony conductor.

I think basicly any field that is really rough to get into.

Also, lol at fireman, some are good but theres so many screwups that can't find another job. Same with the military.

miajag 10-21-2007 01:16 PM

Yeah a lot of you guys are confusing respectability with prestige. Just being in the military is not prestigious, being a general or an admiral is.

jjshabado 10-24-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good example of why surveys are [censored]. People say answers they think people want to hear, and not what they really believe.

eviljeff 10-25-2007 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd say most prestigious is probably supreme court chief justice. you get less political ire than president, and everyone respects the institution.

[/ QUOTE ]

pssssh, the Justices are just glorified bloggers

Coaching 10-25-2007 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i certainly don't teach for the money or the prestige...any teacher will tell you it's for the summers! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] getting paid to wake up at noon, play poker all day and drink all night makes sept-may worth it...

i will say, however, that when i'm teaching, and i have literally every set of eyes in the room on me, hanging on my every word, because they're interested and learning...that's awesome. awesome.

i teach adhd kids for the most part (with autistic/bi-polar/asperger's kid thrown in), so those moments are few and far between, but i had a couple this week..and they always seem to come off the cuff...whenever i just start talking about cool [censored] i know about the world, stuff that isn't in books, they eat it up.

so yeah, i doubt 'teacher' makes it high on 'prestigious careers' lists, but there are moments where you can literally feel your worth.

then, you go home and drink.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post

Poofler 10-25-2007 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah a lot of you guys are confusing respectability with prestige. Just being in the military is not prestigious, being a general or an admiral is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. People are defining the word differently in this thread, which is probably another problem with that survey. You'll find a few definitions, but the one I most commonly associate with prestige is:

"a high standing achieved through success or influence or wealth etc."

I think taking a "noble" profession, which may not be particularly hard to gain access to or acquire the skills to become qualified for, is not necessarily a "prestigous" one merely because of the perceived social benefit or physical risk. I probably associate the word more closely with "elite" than "respect".

Gildwulf 10-25-2007 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

web page

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

people from every age group, people from every type of education bracket, people from all income brackets (even desperate housewives of millionaires get lonely and answer surveys), etc. If the results are imbalanced (too many men, not enough older people, etc), survey results are always weighted by age, gender and region to ensure that they are accurate representations of the genpop. Depending on sample size survey results are accurate within 2-3% 19 times out of 20.