Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread*** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=440608)

rwperu34 07-01-2007 07:50 PM

***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

Who else didn't start Tim Linceum this week? I went with Sorinao instead. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] At least he got me a hold.

My dilema for this week is for my final pitcher spot. 12 team league, normal five categories plus holds for MR. I'm basically still in overall value mode with the exception of WHIP, which I've already locked up. The candidates;

Escobar, 1 start @Texas
Guthrie, 1 start @Texas
Hoffman, 7 games at home vs Fla and Atl
Villaneuva, 7 games @Pit and @Wash

I'm leaning towards Hoffman because saves are a little more volitle although I think a good case can be made for all of these guys. Keep in mind, I'll be starting seven (out of nine spots) starters the following week due to the AS break.

Bremen 07-01-2007 09:13 PM

Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Who else didn't start Tim Linceum this week? I went with Sorinao instead. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] At least he got me a hold.

[/ QUOTE ]
All my leagues are daily and thankfully the only league I didn't start him in today was a H2H where it didn't matter (I would have started him at the last minute but other guys got the W's I needed before the giants game started)

[ QUOTE ]
My dilema for this week is for my final pitcher spot. 12 team league, normal five categories plus holds for MR. I'm basically still in overall value mode with the exception of WHIP, which I've already locked up. The candidates;

Escobar, 1 start @Texas
Guthrie, 1 start @Texas
Hoffman, 7 games at home vs Fla and Atl
Villaneuva, 7 games @Pit and @Wash

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with Hoffman. Fla and Atl have some good pitching which hopefully will yield close games and lots of saves situations.

Ken_AA 07-02-2007 03:30 PM

any thoughts on who will be getting the saves in Colorado for the next week or so?

Ken

slothinator 07-02-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any thoughts on who will be getting the saves in Colorado for the next week or so?

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll probably try Hawkins or Julio because they have experiece in the role, but you do not want either of them on your roster because they are ticking ERA/WHIP time bombs.

In terms of skill, Manuel Corpas would be the best option. He may get a chance if Julio/Hawkins blow it and Fuentes doesn't get the job back. Another option would be Jeremy Affeldt. He has a minor league starter (which seems to translate well to closing in the majors) and has been a closer before. I'd pick them up in this order:

Corpas
Affeldt
Hawkins
Julio

Burdzthewurd 07-02-2007 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll probably try Hawkins or Julio because they have experiece in the role, but you do not want either of them on your roster because they are ticking ERA/WHIP time bombs.

In terms of skill, Manuel Corpas would be the best option. He may get a chance if Julio/Hawkins blow it and Fuentes doesn't get the job back. Another option would be Jeremy Affeldt. He has a minor league starter (which seems to translate well to closing in the majors) and has been a closer before. I'd pick them up in this order:

Corpas
Affeldt
Hawkins
Julio

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure to hold on to Fuentes if you have him, he'll be alright eventually.

Second, now that Kinsler is on the DL, I need to fill 2nd base, but I have no room on my roster with Brett Myers taking up the DL spot. I don't really like dropping anyone on my roster, and I'm 5 games up on the 2nd place team, so can I afford to just wait it out with no 2B? Yahoo 5x5 H2h 12-team league btw (and no one offers/accepts fair trades so that doesn't seem likely):

C- R. Martin
1B - Fielder
2B - Kinsler (now on DL)
3B - A.Ramirez
SS - Guillen
OF - C. Lee
OF- Holliday
OF - Rios
UTIL - Pierre
BN - Thome, Glaus

SPs - Hamels, Jered Weaver, Johan Santana, Oswalt, Schilling, Bonderman, Lincecum, Guthrie

RPs - Ray, C. Cordero, Myers (DL spot)

TheRover 07-02-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who else didn't start Tim Linceum this week?

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed his last start because I forgot to put him back in my lineup. Not sure if that makes it better or worse than having done it intentionally.

slothinator 07-02-2007 08:17 PM

Burdz,

If it were my team, I'd be starting Glaus or Thome ahead of Pierre, and Pierre would be waltzing his ass to the WW in favor of a new 2B. Which 2B are available?

Cortz 07-02-2007 08:18 PM

why would you not start tim linceum after he had a shutout in his last start? 7 innings 8 strikeouts then you bench him for his next start thats not quite clever

btw who should i have in my utlity spot

corey hart, hunter pence, or garret atkins

my 3b is miguel cabrera and my of's are soriano, holliday, and vlad guerrero (12 teamer)

rwperu34 07-02-2007 08:37 PM

I set my lineup once a week. As of Sunday night, Lincecum was going to have his second start skipped. As fate would have it, I had seven two start pitchers on my roster for the week (Lincecum would have been number eight), so I didn't have any room for a one start pitcher, especially one that had been struggling and plays for a really bad team. I left Guthrie on the bench as well.

boc4life 07-02-2007 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Burdz,

If it were my team, I'd be starting Glaus or Thome ahead of Pierre, and Pierre would be waltzing his ass to the WW in favor of a new 2B. Which 2B are available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like him or not, Juan Pierre has 31 steals. That lineup can definitely use the speed

Bremen 07-02-2007 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Burdz,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like him or not, Juan Pierre has 31 steals. That lineup can definitely use the speed

[/ QUOTE ]
If not for Pierre his catcher would be leading his team in SB!

Depending who's available I doubt they'd be much worse than Glaus.

mbillie1 07-03-2007 02:31 AM

I dunno if this even qualifies as a question but... some meatball in my 12-team league just dropped Jason Bay for Mark De Rosa (looooool). My OF is currently

Beltran
Rios
Ordonez

with Sosa at BN (Atkins at UTIL, Zimmerman at 3B) ... I'm ditching Sosa for Bay, then I'll see how Zimmerman/Atkins/Bay do (although I think I'll just keep bay as a backup OF to be honest... still way better than Sosa).

My staff has gotten pretty sick lately:

C - Russell Martin
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - Dan Uggla
SS - Jhonny Peralta
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Alex Rios
OF - Magglio Ordonez
UTIL - Garrett Atkins
BN - Sammy Sosa

SP - Chris Carpenter (DL)
SP - Randy Johnson
SP - Derek Lowe
SP - Justin Verlander
SP - Kelvim Escobar
SP - Tom Gorzelanny
SP - Yovanni Gallardo
SP - Sean Marshall
SP - James Shields
RP - Chad Cordero
RP - Kevin Gregg
RP - Bob Wickman

Anyone think I should drop a different player for Bay and/or not pick him up at all? It sure looks like a no-brainer to me.

rwperu34 07-03-2007 04:08 AM

Sosa is dead weight.

What you should do is try and capatalize on Magglio's insane start and trade him for something BIG!! Magglio's BAPIP is .386 right now 75 points higher than his career mark of .311. If he mantains his power, which he should, that equates to a .303 BA.

Bay on the other hand is well below his BAPIP (.311/.338), and is also not hitting as many HR/FB this season as he has throughout his career. Bay's average projects to .294 the rest of the way with more HR's than Magglio.

Maybe try and package Magglio with Wickman for a solid outfielder and a big time closer (K-Rod, Putz, Nathan, Wagner, Saito, Papelbon, Coco). Heck, if you don't get Bay, you could proably trade Magglio and Wickman for Bay and one of those closers. Vernon Wells is another good guy to go after, although it might be to late now.

Karak567 07-03-2007 10:05 AM

Our league is 5x5: R, OBP, SLG, HR, SB x W, K, WHIP, ERA, SV

I was offered:

Aramis Ramirez
Bartolo Colon
Barry Bonds

for

A-Rod
Mark Buerhle

I should turn this trade down, right?

SL__72 07-03-2007 10:38 AM

Whose lineup spot would Bonds take?

/edit fwiw Aramis' career OPS after the allstar break is like 100 or more points higher then before. I don't think he has had a season where it hasn't been 50+ points higher.

slothinator 07-03-2007 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Burdz,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If not for Pierre his catcher would be leading his team in SB!

Depending who's available I doubt they'd be much worse than Glaus.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were roto, I could see hanging onto Pierre. But not in H2H. That's why I asked who's available at 2B on the waiver wire since he need's to replace Kinsler (out 2-6 weeks; that's kind of a long time to float an injured starter). If there are no good FA available, then he could surely trade Pierre for a 2B.

Pierre is a fantasy liability. Take away the 32 steals, and you are left with 0 HR, 19 RBI, and a .276 BA. He has 47 runs on the season, but he only scored 12 in May and 12 in June (he hasn't posted an OBP over .315 in any month this year). His steals do not make up for the lack of production in the other categories.

You don't have to cover every category to win a H2H league. Playing Thome or Glaus (both of their numbers look subpar because of DL stints) over Pierre would pretty well lock up HR and RBI, with no loss of production in runs and batting average.

NT! 07-03-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it were roto, I could see hanging onto Pierre. But not in H2H.

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who hasn't really played H2H and is just curious, what makes him worse in H2H?

Benholio 07-03-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who hasn't really played H2H and is just curious, what makes him worse in H2H?

[/ QUOTE ]

In H2H (points), stolen bases aren't anything special, just another way to score a couple points. Many players who are valuable in roto due to their ability to steal bases are just run of the mill (or worse) players in H2H leagues.

FWIW, Juan Pierre is still a top-25 OF in my points-based league. He has outscored Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn among others. This might be partially because our league penalizes strikeouts and he doesn't whiff much.

slothinator 07-03-2007 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like guys like Pierre / Taveras / Podsednick because they really only contribute in one category, which is steals. If you break it down over the season, they are only averaging 2 steals per week, which is not enough to win that category. You have to have other players steal a few bases as well. Plus those speedsters don't hit HR or drive in runs, their BA is nothing special, and they don't get on base a lot and score a lot of runs. So while they help you in steals, they are a liability in other areas.

I prefer having a lineup that consistently out produces my opponents in HR/RBI/R/BA, while picking up a handful of steals along the way and occasionally taking that cat as well. If I am going to have a speedster in my lineup, I prefer it be someone who contributes in other areas (hitting .300 or hitting 15+ HR, for example).

slothinator 07-03-2007 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In H2H (points), stolen bases aren't anything special, just another way to score a couple points. Many players who are valuable in roto due to their ability to steal bases are just run of the mill (or worse) players in H2H leagues.

FWIW, Juan Pierre is still a top-25 OF in my points-based league. He has outscored Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn among others. This might be partially because our league penalizes strikeouts and he doesn't whiff much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in a similar points league as well. Ramirez really hasn't that well this year (on pace for 80 R, 22 HR, and 88 RBI) and Dunn would have to put up monster numbers across the board to compensate for his strikeouts. That Pierre has outscored those two in that scoring system is more about the way those two have played as opposed to Pierre being a better player. Especially in Manny's case.

Burdzthewurd 07-03-2007 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in a similar points league as well. Ramirez really hasn't that well this year (on pace for 80 R, 22 HR, and 88 RBI) and Dunn would have to put up monster numbers across the board to compensate for his strikeouts. That Pierre has outscored those two in that scoring system is more about the way those two have played as opposed to Pierre being a better player. Especially in Manny's case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I pulled off a trade for Orlando Hudson in exchange for Pierre, seems decent enough value.

Karak567 07-03-2007 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whose lineup spot would Bonds take?

/edit fwiw Aramis' career OPS after the allstar break is like 100 or more points higher then before. I don't think he has had a season where it hasn't been 50+ points higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack Cust, Holliday and Dunn are my outfielders. So Jack Cust, probably.

NT! 07-03-2007 04:28 PM

I give: Mags & Rivera
I get: Sizemore & D Lee

This would be rape and pillage, right?

Also, what do people think about Luis Gonzalez? He's not likely to keep up his current production, is he?

slothinator 07-03-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what do people think about Luis Gonzalez? He's not likely to keep up his current production, is he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without seeing the rest of your team, this is a very good trade for you.

Gonzalez should be able to keep this up. His current totals projected out over the season would be 80-20-80-10-.290. Not at all unreasonable for him to finish there; look at his numbers from 2005 (think he was hurt last year, not sure). The 39:29 BB:K is pretty impressive as well. Unless you have someone you really want to pick up / need, I'd stick with Gonzalez.

NT! 07-03-2007 04:47 PM

sloth,

my current LF is manny ramirez. my SS is brendan harris. do you think trading manny for someone like carlos guillen or renteria would be a decent move, given your read on gonzo? to me, manny doesn't look like manny this year.

slothinator 07-03-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sloth,

my current LF is manny ramirez. my SS is brendan harris. do you think trading manny for someone like carlos guillen or renteria would be a decent move, given your read on gonzo? to me, manny doesn't look like manny this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this one. Manny's 2nd half could be huge if he gets it together. And I don't think Harris is a bad option; I'm starting in a few leagues right now because of injuries and ineffectiveness (I can never pass up the opportunity to say this; [censored] you Julio Lugo). Basically it's which combo is better; Manny & Harris or Gonzalez & Guillen / Renteria. Seems even now, but given that Manny is Manny and hits in that line up, and Guillen's injury history is pretty extensive, I'd rather have Manny and Harris. And I can't see trading Manny straight up for Renteria. Manny should be able to fetch some one like Rollins or Jeter in a trade.

TheRover 07-03-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NUH UH

NT! 07-03-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He wants me to give Mauer and get back Ryan Zimmerman to even this one up a bit, I countered by saying I would throw in a SP - someone like Maddux or Matt Morris.

This league uses holds, which means guys like Heath Bell and Rafael Betancourt are almost as valuable as a good closer. If he pushes hard, would you throw in someone like that? I think that's about as far as I could go. My bullpen is pretty good but I am already giving up Rivera.

slothinator 07-03-2007 07:43 PM

So now it's Mags/Rivera/Mauer for Sizemore/Lee/Zimmerman. I think I'd still do that, depending on who you still have getting saves and who your catcher would be. Your getting the better end of this trade on (Sizemore>Mags, Lee>>Rivera), and Zimmerman should be better in the 2nd half (his BABIP is around .260 or something awful right now, he's on pace for 25 HR and 85 runs and 85 RBI). If you can get him to take Maddux or Morris instead of Mauer, then that's even better. It's worth noting that Mauer's injury is supposed to bug him the rest of the year, and it shows in his performance since returning.

Giving up Bell or Betancourt shouldn't be too bad, especially since you should be able to replace them pretty easily (even if your league is using holds as a category). Maybe they would take a Maddux / Bell combo.

slothinator 07-03-2007 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NUH UH

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you would not start Bonds ahead of Cust? Or that he should bench Holliday or Dunn instead?

Edit - Actually, I just went and the original post. That's an awful trade. You want no part of Bartolo "I'm so fat it hurts my f***ing throwing shoulder" Colon. Bonds is not enough of an improvement over Cust to justify giving up A-Rod and taking back A-Ram. Buehrle is not great shakes, but he's Cy Young compared to Colon.

NT! 07-03-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So now it's Mags/Rivera/Mauer for Sizemore/Lee/Zimmerman. I think I'd still do that, depending on who you still have getting saves and who your catcher would be. Your getting the better end of this trade on (Sizemore>Mags, Lee>>Rivera), and Zimmerman should be better in the 2nd half (his BABIP is around .260 or something awful right now, he's on pace for 25 HR and 85 runs and 85 RBI).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still have V Mart catching. My bullpen would be Saito, Accardo, Bell, Okajima, Betancourt. I would probably look to pick up another closer on waivers - maybe grab Guardado and stash him on the DL.

I have A-Ram at 3B who is usually big in the 2nd half if he's healthy, and I would be using Drew, Thomas or Luis Gonzalez at UTIL. So Zimmerman isn't all that useful to me.

I'm guessing he would take it with Bell or Betancourt. I could also offer it with Saito instead of Rivera, but I'd rather keep Saito if I can.

slothinator 07-04-2007 12:27 AM

Since you have V-Mart, Mauer is expendable (it feels so wrong to type that). Try to pry away something you can use instead of Zimmerman, like a SP or RP maybe. Between Drew, Thomas, and Gonzalez, I'd be playing Thomas right now. He caught fire in the 2nd half last year, and he's doing it again.

4 High 07-04-2007 03:15 AM

Is Stephen Drew worth holding onto in a keeper league at this point? I am in first, so hes not killing me, but i can only be so patient. 12 Team mixed 25 man roster H2H keep 8.

rwperu34 07-04-2007 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Stephen Drew worth holding onto in a keeper league at this point? I am in first, so hes not killing me, but i can only be so patient. 12 Team mixed 25 man roster H2H keep 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you normalize his BABIP and HR/FB%, his line would look something like .280/.340/.420 with 10 HR. Not earth shattering, but decenet enough for a shortstop with a high ceiling.

rwperu34 07-04-2007 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So now it's Mags/Rivera/Mauer for Sizemore/Lee/Zimmerman. I think I'd still do that, depending on who you still have getting saves and who your catcher would be. Your getting the better end of this trade on (Sizemore>Mags, Lee>>Rivera), and Zimmerman should be better in the 2nd half (his BABIP is around .260 or something awful right now, he's on pace for 25 HR and 85 runs and 85 RBI).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still have V Mart catching. My bullpen would be Saito, Accardo, Bell, Okajima, Betancourt. I would probably look to pick up another closer on waivers - maybe grab Guardado and stash him on the DL.

I have A-Ram at 3B who is usually big in the 2nd half if he's healthy, and I would be using Drew, Thomas or Luis Gonzalez at UTIL. So Zimmerman isn't all that useful to me.

I'm guessing he would take it with Bell or Betancourt. I could also offer it with Saito instead of Rivera, but I'd rather keep Saito if I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you shopped Mauer? I'd think that dealing Magglio and Mauer in separate deals will net a better return even though this is a homerun for you. I'd much rather move Betancourt or Bell, then pick up another of the plentiful holds guys off somewhere else. I'm not sure how your league is, but I picked up Villaneuva off the waiver wire THIS WEEK! Either that or you could trade Mauer for another top flight holds guy and a better closer than Rivera (we are talking about Mariano, right?).

Definitely hold on to Saito. He's a top 5 closer right now, and might be #1 going forward. 43/3 K/BB in 34 IP is Gagneesque.

rwperu34 07-04-2007 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you would not start Bonds ahead of Cust? Or that he should bench Holliday or Dunn instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunn might well be the worst of those three. If you normalize his batted ball data to his career rates, you're looking at .220/.310/.485 with 18 HR right now. That's putrid in any format.

TheRover 07-04-2007 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NUH UH

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit - Actually, I just went and the original post. That's an awful trade. You want no part of Bartolo "I'm so fat it hurts my f***ing throwing shoulder" Colon. Bonds is not enough of an improvement over Cust to justify giving up A-Rod and taking back A-Ram. Buehrle is not great shakes, but he's Cy Young compared to Colon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cust is the second coming of Jesus. I would definitely start him over anyone but God. Who happens to be Barry Bonds.

Burdzthewurd 07-05-2007 04:14 AM

As mentioned before, I traded Juan Pierre for Orlando Hudson to fill my 2B gap. Now someone just proposed Ramon Hernandez/Shane Victorino for Russell Martin. As of now I'm pretty much giving up the SB category, but is this worth it or is Hernandez going to stink up the joint in the 2nd half?

My team is on the 2nd page of this thread if you want to look.

Yoshi63 07-05-2007 04:22 AM

H2H 10 manager league. Just wondering how strong/weak you would consider my offensive line-up:

C: Martin
1B: Hafner
2B: Kendrick (for DL'ed Upton)
SS: Jeter
3B: Aramis
OF: Beltran
OF: Sizemore
OF: Jason Bay

nutshot2 07-05-2007 04:36 AM

your offense is very good...

but you havent told us: a) what your pitching is like...b) what your categories are