Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Link to cities cost of living rankings (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310416)

Jim Kuhn 01-20-2007 02:15 AM

Link to cities cost of living rankings

For those that are thinking of relocating to other cities or countries this link might be interesting: http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving.htm

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

TheMetetron 01-20-2007 03:27 AM

Re: Link to cities cost of living rankings

Go Buenos Aires for being cheap as dirt. Prague is actually higher up than I thought it would be.

Also, something seems really off with this list. Geneva didn't seem nearly as ridiculously expensive as either Stockholm or Copenhagen when I was visiting it... while more than most US cities, it was cheap to me by Scandinavian standards. Perhaps rent is really ridiculous though.

RunDownHouse 01-20-2007 03:44 AM

Boston is cheaper than Prague? Really?

bigalt 01-20-2007 04:46 AM

I found some of those ranks surprising as well. Am moving to Guatemala City in June, which is apparently more expensive than Seattle where I'm leaving from.

kurti 01-20-2007 06:53 AM

Hmm interesting, Budapest and Munich are exactly on the same level. Incidentally I just moved back from Budapest to Munich after living there for 6 years. I can positivly tell you that you can expect cost of living to be 10-25% less in Budapest than in Munich, depending on your livestyle.
Here is a link to two other surveys, which I personally find more credible (only in German though).

TheMetetron 01-20-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found some of those ranks surprising as well. Am moving to Guatemala City in June, which is apparently more expensive than Seattle where I'm leaving from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I now officially think that these rankings are bunk after taking a closer look. While Buenos Aires may be among the cheapest cities to live in, there's no way Seattle is that low compared to other cities above it.

RunDownHouse 01-20-2007 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link to two other surveys, which I personally find more credible (only in German though).

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nicht überall auf der Welt ist das Leben billiger als in der Schweiz."

lol, if you're one of the billions of non-Swiss it certainly isn't. Could you briefly explain what the column headings are (the EDA, UBS, OECD, and A&S)?

TheMetetron 01-20-2007 09:24 PM

A&S appears to be the important column. I have no idea what it means but the lower the number seems to imply a cheaper cost of living.

Edit: I believe Switzerland is a 100 A&S. Implying only Norway is more expensive. This is for countries though which isn't the same as cities.

kurti 01-21-2007 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you briefly explain what the column headings are (the EDA, UBS, OECD, and A&S)?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes sure, but only briefly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
EDA is an index that applies to the lifestyle of diplomats, people that need to represent. So it's a pretty high level lifestyle.
USB on the other hand applies to the lifestyle of an average middle class family.
A more detailed description you can find here (again only in German)

Sandviper23 01-21-2007 05:42 PM

so is this link pretty much bogus?

Shanemex 01-21-2007 07:21 PM

So how do they define cost of living? Is it based on the cost of necessities relative to the average income, or is it just the total cost that is measured? Say it costs $50,000 a year for cost of living in one city, and the average income for that city is $75,000. Would the cost of living be higher or lower than a city with a cost of living of $49,000, but average income of only $60,000?

MrBlue 01-21-2007 08:18 PM

My guess is this data is at least 1 year old.

From TFA:

“The strengthening of the US dollar against the European and other major currencies is a large contributor to the rise of most US cities in the rankings,” commented Ms Powers.

The dollar gained in 05 but lost a lot of ground against the EUR in 06. Maybe there is an updated version somewhere.

kurti 01-22-2007 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how do they define cost of living? Is it based on the cost of necessities relative to the average income

[/ QUOTE ]
No, the average income is never considered here, it is based on absolute money values. The way they do it differs a lot it seems, hence the big difference in the results. For example some indexes do not consider the rent.