Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Sen. Lott reportedly set to resign (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554751)

Wynton 11-26-2007 12:33 PM

Sen. Lott reportedly set to resign

"While the exactly reason Lott is stepping down before he finishes his term is unknown, the general speculation is that a quick departure immunizes Lott against tougher restrictions in a new lobbying law that takes effect at the end of the year. That law would require Senators to wait two-years before entering the lucrative world of lobbying Congress."

Full story here

ConstantineX 11-26-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Sen. Lott reportedly set to resign

This is the great disgusting secret of American politics. Michael Oxley, the Republican sponsor of Sarbanes-Oxley, for example is now consulting for companies to help them avoid the very law he drafted. I think it's starting to be widely recognized by entrants that Washington public service can be very lucrative after the fact.

iron81 11-26-2007 03:46 PM

Hastert is resigning within the next month as well. I was unaware of this possible lobbying angle as a reason.

elwoodblues 11-26-2007 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hastert is resigning within the next month as well

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, the chances of electing a dem out here are pretty slim...

vulturesrow 11-26-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont like Denny the Walrus? Shame on you elwood!!

PS How are the twins doing? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JuntMonkey 11-26-2007 03:54 PM

The article says Kyl is poised to be the next minority whip. Do you think this could be problematic for the legalization of online poker, since Kyl is one of our biggest enemies?

Case Closed 11-26-2007 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the turn dupage blue movement probably won't pick up any steam. Hastert's district, of which I am a resident, will stay with the republicans till the end of time.

iron81 11-26-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The article says Kyl is poised to be the next minority whip. Do you think this could be problematic for the legalization of online poker, since Kyl is one of our biggest enemies?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. If the GOP ever wins back the Senate, the anti-gambling forces will be able to get whatever legislation they want passed.

elwoodblues 11-26-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the turn dupage blue movement probably won't pick up any steam. Hastert's district, of which I am a resident, will stay with the republicans till the end of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in Hastert's district as well...I can't see any change any time soon either, unfortunately.

elwoodblues 11-26-2007 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're doing great. Thanks for asking. 2 months old yesterday. (non-politics pics below)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_0014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_0010.jpg

adanthar 11-26-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It says he's running. I wouldn't be too sure of him winning. Outside of gambling, he really hasn't been on anyone's political radar that I can think of, which means either he's very good at backroom politicking or he's a minor player. Too many of the other 48 people involved are going to want that job for it to be uncontested.

kidpokeher 11-26-2007 04:45 PM

I take it, then, each of these states are going to have to hold special elections so the scumbags can get into their cushy lobbying jobs quicker?

TomCollins 11-26-2007 04:50 PM

Elwood- are you raising members of the Hitler Youth?

elwoodblues 11-26-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I know, they're quite WASPy-looking.

adanthar 11-26-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it, then, each of these states are going to have to hold special elections so the scumbags can get into their cushy lobbying jobs quicker?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, the governors appoint a senator until the next scheduled election ('08).

Money2Burn 11-26-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More like Children of the Corn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

asb165 11-26-2007 06:59 PM

Perez Hilton, of all people, is reporting that Lott bangs gay hookers. Take it for what it's worth.

Case Closed 11-26-2007 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perez Hilton, of all people, is reporting that Lott bangs gay hookers. Take it for what it's worth.

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt this is true...it looks rather shady to me. But if true it is another hilarious story of republican implosion.

Ineedaride2 11-26-2007 09:13 PM

Cute kids, dude.

And I believe I'd shoot myself if I had 4 kids that age.

j/k

I've got two, aged 4 and 1, and I can't IMAGINE having to chase another one around.

vulturesrow 11-27-2007 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cute kids, dude.

j/k

I've got two, aged 4 and 1, and I can't IMAGINE having to chase another one around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 4 ranging from 1.5 years to 7.5 years. Its not so bad, you get used to the chaos. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

elwood,

Awesome pics man, kids look great.

adios 11-27-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're doing great. Thanks for asking. 2 months old yesterday. (non-politics pics below)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_0014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_0010.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

To cool. Congrats.

adios 11-27-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cute kids, dude.

j/k

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 4 ranging from 1.5 years to 7.5 years. Its not so bad, you get used to the chaos. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

elwood,

[/ QUOTE ]

Adolescent years are more challenging IMO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

vulturesrow 11-27-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cute kids, dude.

j/k

[/ QUOTE ]

elwood,

[/ QUOTE ]

Adolescent years are more challenging IMO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Adolescent years plus all girls makes for a lot stress in my future. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

4 High 11-27-2007 11:37 AM

Who said Hastert's district can't be won by Democrats? Its a marginal Republican distrcit and the election will be held on Primary day when there will be massive Democratic turnout for Obama. They have a real serious shot at taking it.

As for Lott, i find it funny hes leaving to go become a lobbyist after he just promised during this past election to serve 6 years. Hopefully Moore runs and makes it competitive. Former Governor Musgrove would be good too, but Moore is stronger overall.

salesbeast 11-27-2007 12:13 PM

Here is a piece the Hustler artical set to blow the whole story wide on Lott and others...

http://larryflynt.com/mycms/

Case Closed 11-27-2007 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who said Hastert's district can't be won by Democrats? Its a marginal Republican distrcit and the election will be held on Primary day when there will be massive Democratic turnout for Obama. They have a real serious shot at taking it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've lived there my whole life and the district/county personifies a republican district. I could be wrong, but that just the feeling I get from living there.

elwoodblues 11-27-2007 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've lived there my whole life and the district/county personifies a republican district. I could be wrong, but that just the feeling I get from living there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts.

iron81 11-27-2007 12:39 PM

Keep in mind that Hastert crushed his last opponent even though:

- There was a huge national Democratic wave

- Hastert was in the middle of Foleygate which was peaking at the time

- His opponent was actually able to raise money and put effort into the campaign.

So yeah, that district is safe until at least the next redistricting.

4 High 11-27-2007 12:55 PM

It is not safe. The district is becoming more blue every year. Hastert was never fully touched by the Foley scandal, it played little part in that race. There are now other candidates running for the seat besides the guy who ran last time. It is only a R+4 District which means it only votes about 4 Percent more Republican then the average district in the country, so its a very marginal and quite winnable district. Add in the fact that the election takes place on Primary Day and its going to be very competitive.

Wynton 11-27-2007 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a piece the Hustler artical set to blow the whole story wide on Lott and others...

http://larryflynt.com/mycms/

[/ QUOTE ]

This story is just too much fun to be true.

Case Closed 11-27-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that Hastert crushed his last opponent even though:

- There was a huge national Democratic wave

- Hastert was in the middle of Foleygate which was peaking at the time

- His opponent was actually able to raise money and put effort into the campaign.

So yeah, that district is safe until at least the next redistricting.

[/ QUOTE ]
The speaker of the house would never lose his spot unless he was about to go to jail IMO.

JackWhite 11-28-2007 06:47 PM

There's another possibility being reported about Lott's reason for resigning. His brother-in-law, Dickie Scruggs, had his legal office raided by the FBI the other day. It is alleged he participated in rampant fraud over Hurricane Katrina insurance claims. Scruggs made a fortune on the tobacco settlement (extortion) partly because of his connection to Lott. Lott and Scruggs...hopefully they both go down.

iron81 11-28-2007 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The speaker of the house would never lose his spot unless he was about to go to jail IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
ORLY?

Case Closed 11-28-2007 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ORLY?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think owned would be a word you could use in this situation.