Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ron Paul quotation - Is it a hoax? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=542020)

MidGe 11-09-2007 08:56 AM

Ron Paul quotation - Is it a hoax?

"The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers. On the contrary, our Founders’ political views were strongly informed by their religious beliefs. Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government’s hostility to religion. "

I have seen this quote attributed to Ron Paul many times on the internet. I cannot find a direct link to Ron Paul about it.

Is it a quote from Ron Paul?

If not, were did it originate as attributed to Paul, if anyone knows.

If it is, is Ron Paul really ignorant of the constitution to such a degree. Has he changed his mind nowadays?

Ron Burgundy 11-09-2007 10:29 AM

Re: Ron Paul quotation - Is it a hoax?

linky

bobman0330 11-09-2007 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
linky

[/ QUOTE ]

So he's a constitutionalist who believes that the Constitution is replete with references to God? That's discouraging.

zasterguava 11-09-2007 10:38 AM

Probably not a hoax. I presume he's just had a very varied host of speech writers during his carear.

Ron Burgundy 11-09-2007 10:39 AM

I understand the point he's trying to make. But it's unfortunate that he's bought into the anit-Christian paranoia.

Jamougha 11-09-2007 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
linky

[/ QUOTE ]

So the liberals stole Christmas? LAWLZ

TomCollins 11-09-2007 10:44 AM

I think Ron Paul lost MidGe's vote [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

DblBarrelJ 11-09-2007 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Ron Paul lost MidGe's vote [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.

Edited to Add:

When I'm dealing with a troublesome inmate, I am trained to say things such as "Duely noted" or "I understand" then walk away.

I believe I am going to begin doing this whenever MidGe makes a post concerning America in any way.

This post by TC really put MidGe's importance in American life in perspective for me.

Thanks.

Scary_Tiger 11-09-2007 10:45 AM

Yeah, um the Constitution doesn't reference God at all and while the Declaration does, I wouldn't call it replete with references.

This is one of those things that sounds believable if you haven't actually researched it, kind of like Huckabee's claim that many of the Constitution's framers were pastors.

DVaut1 11-09-2007 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Through perverse court decisions and years of cultural indoctrination, the elitist, secular Left has managed to convince many in our nation that religion must be driven from public view. The justification is always that someone, somewhere, might possibly be offended or feel uncomfortable living in the midst of a largely Christian society, so all must yield to the fragile sensibilities of the few. The ultimate goal of the anti-religious elites is to transform America into a completely secular nation, a nation that is legally and culturally biased against Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not good for a guy who's apparently going to "destroy everyone in a heads up debate yo" to sound as retarded as Bill O'Reilly.

[ QUOTE ]
Certainly the drafters of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, both replete with references to God, would be aghast at the federal government’s hostility to religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul, Apparent Defender of the Constititon, Savior Unto Thee...anyone know if has he actually read the thing?

Ron Burgundy 11-09-2007 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sound as retarded as Bill O'Reilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please. Flavor Flav could destroy Bill ORLY in a debate.

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Paul, Apparent Defender of the Constititon, Savior Unto Thee...anyone know if has he actually read the thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you $100 if you can prove there's a congressperson who's voting record has upheld the principles of the constitution more accurately than RP.

The God comment is stupid. But using that one article to discredit RP after all he has done to defend the constitution will only make you look stupider.

bobman0330 11-09-2007 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll give you $100 if you can prove there's a congressperson who's voting record has upheld the principles of the constitution more accurately than RP.

[/ QUOTE ]

James Madison was a congressman, and I'm sure he did much better than RP, since he wrote the thing. Ship it?

Ron Burgundy 11-09-2007 11:29 AM

Right now I mean, smartass.

zasterguava 11-09-2007 11:49 AM

"Through perverse court decisions and years of cultural indoctrination"

wait, is he talking about the religious or the anti-religious?

"the elitist, secular Left has managed to convince many in our nation that religion must be driven from public view."

Yeah, right. Because the 'elitist left' is far more powerful than the extremist elitist fundamentalist Christian lobby.

"ultimate goal of the anti-religious elites is to transform America into a completely secular nation"

well yeah one can presume that the 'anti-religious' might want to do that, ldo. But lets not generalise here, eh, Paul? I mean that can get us into deep water like implying blacks are more genetically inclined towards crime.

Seriously, Ron Paul sounds disgusting here and in other instances. Its a shame because some of his material has moved me somewhat but its becoming increasingly overshadowed by his bs writers.

zasterguava 11-09-2007 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now I mean, smartass.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, ship the money liar.

Borodog 11-09-2007 12:05 PM

While I wouldn't have used the word "replete", both documents explicitly mention God, so you all sound pretty silly.

Also, LOL at taking a fraction of one sentence, written by a man who has written hundreds of thousands of words on the subject, and bunching your panties up over it.

If I slipped up my turns of phrase in my written prose as little as Dr. Paul does I would count myself as a world class wordsmith.

If you're going to get all hysterical, at least make fun of the way he speaks. He's a terrible orator; he gets so excited about the topic that he trips over his words, uses the wrong words, leaves out entire words, etc. Yet still the message resonates.

Too bad for the haters.

bobman0330 11-09-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I wouldn't have used the word "replete", both documents explicitly mention God, so you all sound pretty silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Constitution cite please? The closest it gets is referring to "the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven."

And it's not a trivial point. That whole article is a long rant where RP tries to shoehorn his idiosyncratic position into a strained (in this case, entirely unsupported) view of the Constitution. It's characteristic of his position on everything.

DVaut1 11-09-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol what? I've read my Constitution up and down and I can't find the word "God" anywhere. Help plz:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut....html#articlei

But yeah, yeah, "everyone else" sounds pretty silly. Apparently giving Paul fellatio for months on end has you guys embracing his completely fictional reading of the Constitution. Good thing libertarians have avoided all those personality-cults those stupid statists always get involved in.

DVaut1 11-09-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But using that one article to discredit RP after all he has done to defend the constitution will only make you look stupider.

[/ QUOTE ]

A defender of a document he apparently hasn't taken the time to ever, you know, read.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to whose standards? It's a ridiculously subjective criteria; trying to deduce what constitutes "accurately upholding the principles of the Constitution" has essentially been a never ending debate since the document was signed.

Similarly, I'll give you a $100 if you can prove I don't like the color blue.

Copernicus 11-09-2007 12:22 PM

"Yeah, right. Because the 'elitist left' is far more powerful than the extremist elitist fundamentalist Christian lobby."

Uhhhh...yes, it is. Both poles have plenyt of money to throw at politicians, but between the ACLU and the liberal bent of most courts and their willingness to legislate from the bench, the extreme left is far more powerful than the extreme right.

j555 11-09-2007 12:25 PM

I don't agree with his article or his view on this issue, but whoever says that they're no longer supporting him over that one sentence probably wasn't a supporter to begin with. You're rarely going to agree with a candidate on everything so you've gotta take the good with the bad. Ron Paul's good outweighs his bad by leaps and bounds, imo.

DVaut1 11-09-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're rarely going to agree with a candidate on everything so you've gotta take the good with the bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once read somewhere the lesser of two evils is still evil something something voting jackbooted thuggery something something purple monkey dishwasher.

Can't quite remember from who or when, but I feel like it's been a long time since I've heard it around here. Seems to be an interesting inverse correlation between shrill cries of "the lesser of two evils is still evil something something voting jackbooted thuggery something something purple monkey dishwasher" and Ron Paul avatars on this forum, though.

elwoodblues 11-09-2007 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, LOL at taking a fraction of one sentence, written by a man who has written hundreds of thousands of words on the subject, and bunching your panties up over it.

If I slipped up my turns of phrase in my written prose as little as Dr. Paul does I would count myself as a world class wordsmith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying this was just a slip up and that Paul doesn't actually believe the words? Do you have any evidence to support that?

[ QUOTE ]

If you're going to get all hysterical, at least make fun of the way he speaks. He's a terrible orator; he gets so excited about the topic that he trips over his words, uses the wrong words, leaves out entire words, etc. Yet still the message resonates.

Too bad for the haters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why disagree with the presentation when you can disagree with content?

tomdemaine 11-09-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're rarely going to agree with a candidate on everything so you've gotta take the good with the bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once read somewhere the lesser of two evils is still evil something something voting jackbooted thuggery something something purple monkey dishwasher.

Can't quite remember from who or when, but I feel like it's been a long time since I've heard it around here. Seems to be an interesting inverse correlation between shrill cries of "the lesser of two evils is still evil something something voting jackbooted thuggery something something purple monkey dishwasher" and Ron Paul avatars on this forum, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn I hate it when I agree with Dvault.

zasterguava 11-09-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Yeah, right. Because the 'elitist left' is far more powerful than the extremist elitist fundamentalist Christian lobby."

Uhhhh...yes, it is. Both poles have plenyt of money to throw at politicians, but between the ACLU and the liberal bent of most courts and their willingness to legislate from the bench, the extreme left is far more powerful than the extreme right.

[/ QUOTE ]

f4nny h6w y64 def5ne e35t5st 3eft.

Ron Burgundy 11-09-2007 12:37 PM

mmmmm sweet sweet jealousy

AlexM 11-09-2007 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and what does this have to do with anything? Someone being wrong about a few things doesn't make them a lesser evil, it's when two candidates are wrong about almost everything that picking one is picking the lesser evil and pretty pointless.

AlexM 11-09-2007 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hate being wrong too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

DVaut1 11-09-2007 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before this thread gets too hijacked about voting for the lesser of two evils -- which I concede I started -- can we get back to laughing at Paul's O'Reilly-esque column about liberals stealing Christmas and this mythological Constitution that's apparently replete with God references?

AlexM 11-09-2007 12:45 PM

So, wow, amazing to see haters jump all over Paul for one minor misstatement. Yes, the Constitution isn't replete with references to God, but the writings of the Founders in general are. His point in that article is that the people who created this country were very much God-fearing types, and he's completely correct. He's also completely correct that our society has run amok with anti-Christianness. Mind you, as a non-Christian, I prefer it to the days where in some states you had to be a member of the state religion to vote (this after the Constitution went into effect), but that doesn't mean that people aren't being ridiculous and silly when they jump on any possible reference to God in local governments or things run by local governments. People cannot realistically go through life hiding their religion, and they shouldn't have to because that's persecution.

AlexM 11-09-2007 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before this thread gets too hijacked about voting for the lesser of two evils -- which I concede I started -- can we get back to laughing at Paul's O'Reilly-esque column about liberals stealing Christmas and this mythological Constitution that's apparently replete with God references?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, get back to your ridiculous attacks on the man for a minor semantic misstep. It makes you look ever so rational.

tame_deuces 11-09-2007 12:51 PM

I'm not American so I don't really have much thoughts about Ron Paul. So I'm not pro or anti in anyway, so don't read my comment that way.

I would however expect someone running or holding high office not to make public errors about the content of his nation's constitution, and that shouldn't really be an unreasonable expectation.

Scary_Tiger 11-09-2007 12:54 PM

Still waiting to hear the places where God is mentioned in the Constitution.

And yes, at the start I thought he might have meant the founders writings were replete with references to God, but then I reread the sentence and read "both" replete with references, referring to the Declaration and Constitution.

I think it's likely that's what he meant, but is likely distorting things to promote his views.

AlexM 11-09-2007 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not American so I don't really have much thoughts about Ron Paul. So I'm not pro or anti in anyway, so don't read my comment that way.

I would however expect someone running or holding high office not to make public errors about the content of his nation's constitution, and that shouldn't really be an unreasonable expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Yes, the Constitution isn't replete with references to God (although as pointed out, it does mention him), but the writings of the Founders in general are. His point in that article is that the people who created this country were very much God-fearing types, and he's completely correct."

No, minor semantic mistakes when someone writes hundreds of thousands of words is not a big deal. It's going to happen. Expecting perfection out of a human is plain stupid. His point was correct, and that's what matters. It's also entirely possible that he meant the two documents combined, not separately, which would be correct.

ojc02 11-09-2007 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, however, where Ron makes minor slip-ups about irrelevant issues such as whether God is mentioned very much, other politicians ignore vast swathes of the constitution and enact appalling legislation like the Patriot act, Military commissions act, etc etc etc. A little perspective is required here.

AlexM 11-09-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still waiting to hear the places where God is mentioned in the Constitution.

And yes, at the start I thought he might have meant the founders writings were replete with references to God, but then I reread the sentence and read "both" replete with references, referring to the Declaration and Constitution.

I think it's likely that's what he meant, but is likely distorting things to promote his views.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was hyperbole. It probably was not intentional though, just a flow of consciousness kind of thing. No big deal and anyone who makes a big deal out of it is being ridiculously nitty.

bobman0330 11-09-2007 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point, however, where Ron makes minor slip-ups about irrelevant issues such as whether God is mentioned very much, other politicians ignore vast swathes of the constitution and enact appalling legislation like the Patriot act, Military commissions act, etc etc etc. A little perspective is required here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most politicians don't profess to be constitutional experts. Most politicians are policy-oriented: they want to do things because they think they will have beneficial results. They will usually leave it to lawyers and judges to determine whether or not their plans are constitutional.

RP, on the other hand, has an entire ideology built around the notion that he understands the Constitution very well. Many of his interpretations run counter to the judgments of the Supreme Court. IOW, his claim is that he is the best authority on the meaning and interpretation of the Constitution. For him to make such a ridiculous mistake is pretty damning to that claim.

Ron Burgundy 11-09-2007 01:11 PM

His ideology is not that he's a constitutional expert. It's that the federal govt has passed far too many laws that violate the constitution. THere's a hell of a lot of people who agree with this, regardless of whether or not they think God is an integral part of the constitution.

AlexM 11-09-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most politicians don't profess to be constitutional experts. Most politicians are policy-oriented: they want to do things because they think they will have beneficial results. They will usually leave it to lawyers and judges to determine whether or not their plans are constitutional.

RP, on the other hand, has an entire ideology built around the notion that he understands the Constitution very well. Many of his interpretations run counter to the judgments of the Supreme Court. IOW, his claim is that he is the best authority on the meaning and interpretation of the Constitution. For him to make such a ridiculous mistake is pretty damning to that claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. Take any prolific writer, dig through all their work, and you are bound to find mistakes about things they are experts at. All this shows is that the man's human. I would be much more concerned about someone who never made any kind of mistake like this ever.

Of course, it's quite amusing that all of you haters can't get the man on his issues so you have to attack him for stupid crap like this. We just need to get Redbean in here now.

Borodog 11-09-2007 01:24 PM

bobman ruined my fun. Last time I checked "Our Lord" is an explicit reference to God.