Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   i'm playing too passively against chip leader? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=552814)

hamnegger 11-23-2007 10:42 AM

i\'m playing too passively against chip leader?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1000 (7 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t34954)
SB (t25624)
BB (t126830)
UTG (t30813)
MP1 (t24567)
Hero (t46873)
CO (t7123)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t2000.

Flop: (t5600) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t5600) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t5600) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t2000</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t5600

im 2nd in chips in tourn this only guy who can hurt me. i think that made preflop a fold yes? now this draw board . i made up my mind to just give up and pick a better spot. comments? villain pretty aggro. top 36 get paid. we may have between 30 and 45 players left here. $8 360 max

gtpitch 11-23-2007 10:48 AM

Re: i\'m playing too passively against chip leader?

I think as played its not too bad. If villain is aggro then you might've been c/r here. If you really wanted to know where you were at and put villain on a pretty loose range out of his BB then you could C-Bet this flop for ~T4200 or so. To be honest against a villain with this chip count at this point in the tourney who is pretty aggro I probably just fold PF.

tinty 11-23-2007 11:20 AM

If you're scared of him as an aggro fold pre-flop but once you get to the flop I fon't think you can just give up. Your hand is essentially a bluff so I'm firing as a bluff on the flop or most certainly when he checks again to me on the turn, but probably flop. Shut down if any action but i just think that if you're going to raise pre with A6 then you should be betting any flop checked to you.

oscar057 11-23-2007 11:49 AM

This is a good example of way you need a post flop plan before your initial raise. Were you just hoping to hit the flop then see what happens? If you are not prepared to follow through with a continuation bet in this situation because of the opponent, then you are better off folding pre flop.

McMelchior 11-23-2007 11:59 AM

I'm a notoriously weak nit, but I don't raise here pf with less than A8o. A6o is a hand that's really got nothing going for it - and a lot against it - if you get action.

A flop c-bet of say 4,500 is a matter of taste, I guess.

On the river villian bets 2,000 into a 7.200 pot. Unless your table image is ultra-weak I cant see him doing that with any hand you beat, and I can't see you repping a slowplayed monster after checking that flop and turn.

As played c/f if fine.

JammyDodga 11-23-2007 12:27 PM

Yeah, c-bet flop for sure or dont be in the hand, and I actually consider calling the river bet, because we are ahead anough of the time to make it worthwhile.

ThePershore 11-23-2007 12:50 PM

If you're worried about the CL, who is in the BB, then don't raise his blind with A6o. I'd fold pf, due to a hatred of unsuited ace rag.

As played pf, c-bet flop for t4,000 or something then shut down.

Unphased 11-23-2007 12:54 PM

if you're not willing to c-bet when you miss, fold pre. I really don't like stealing a deep stacks blind with this type of hand. Id rather do it with a 75s for obvious reasons.

registrar 11-23-2007 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're not willing to c-bet when you miss, fold pre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. There couldn't really be a worse board to c-bet than this one.

Boise123 11-23-2007 12:59 PM

I think a strong c-bet after the flop would have won the hand aginst a shorter stack. But with villians huge chip advantage I'm with you, I fold.

hamnegger 11-23-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good example of way you need a post flop plan before your initial raise. Were you just hoping to hit the flop then see what happens? If you are not prepared to follow through with a continuation bet in this situation because of the opponent, then you are better off folding pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point i was c- betting most flops it was j 10 that backed me off bc there is NO hi card hand going anywhere. i think plans have to be flexible even 89 isnt folding here.

drcapn 11-23-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im 2nd in chips in tourn this only guy who can hurt me. i think that made preflop a fold yes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Big stack in the big blind = more likely to call. You mentioned he was aggro, another argument against stealing.
[ QUOTE ]
now this draw board . i made up my mind to just give up and pick a better spot. comments? villain pretty aggro.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is good.
[ QUOTE ]
top 36 get paid. we may have between 30 and 45 players left here. $8 360 max

[/ QUOTE ]

If 36 are paid, there is a big difference between 30 and 45 left and it is important to know if you are still on the bubble or not.

ChipSpeak 11-23-2007 03:16 PM

I'm ok with the hand all around, we have 46 bb's, we can't just sit out every hand the big stack has yet to act. That flop texture is as ugly as they come, and you're right, 2 high cards aren't going anywhere. The turn gives us no opportunity to fire, shut down is fine. Perhaps a 2.5x open would be more accomodating to this spot.

MorsifiedZombie 11-23-2007 03:37 PM

It's fine as played. The board is pretty dangerous for a C-bet (which might work to our advantage...if he missed 2) but with your stack and the murky situation...your line is the prudent one.

As others stated, the mistake here is preflop. I don't like getting into it with the big stack without good cards and/or a good read.