Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   the GOLDEN AGE of Reality TV is upon us! (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=471128)

Dominic 08-06-2007 11:39 PM

the GOLDEN AGE of Reality TV is upon us!

I don't know if any of you has noticed, but there are THREE incredibly entertaining reality shows on these days, and they are all on VH1, believe it or not. They are:

Scott Baio is 45 and Single

Wow, what a great show. Scott Baio is thinking about getting married to his GF, but he wants to find out why he has always shut down in relationships before when they get to this point, so he hires a life coach to help him out and guide him...she makes him become celibate for 8 weeks while looking up old girlfriends and finding out what went wrong.

He also hangs out with a trio of friends - one of whom is the older brother from "The Wonder Years" and another is a complete douchebag who wants Scott to remain forever single so he can pickup his leftovers.

In the first few weeks, Scott has talked to, gotten advice from, and been insulted from famous ex-costars and ex-girlfriends alike: Henry Winkler, Erin Moran, Nicole Eggert, ex-Playmate and "Growing Pains" star Julie McCullough, a Penthouse Pet, etc.

Baio comes off as a bit of a prick, but still, as a guy who's real and one I actually like and can relate to, as we're both wondering why we've reached our mid-forties single and childless. It's pretty hilarious seing how he handles still being called "Chachie" or "Charles in Charge" after all these years.

Great show.

Rock of Love

This one's my guilty pleasure, as it's total crap, but entertaining crap! Brett Michaels, of 80s hair-band Poison fame, plays like The Bachelor and hosts a house=full of women who are all vying for his affections. The fact that every one of the women is a skanky rock&roll ho, is only the tip of the iceburg!

You know how in The Bachelor, the doofus hands out roses to the women he wants to stay? Well, Brett Michaels hands out VIP Badges, like at a concert and he's picking out which groupie he wants to have come backstage so he can bang her! Lots of catfights in this one, too.

The new one I just watched the first episode of, is The Pick-Up Artist, with some tool named Mystery who wears leopard print and motorcycle goggles. In it, he has 8 geeky losers with no game come to share a house so he can teach them the tricks of his trade. He also has two other PU Artists named Matador and J-Dog (no, really!) who are his helpers.

It's pretty funny seeing the losers try to hit up girls in a bar and then a bit of a revelation to see the three PU Artists work their magic on the room.

The first one was decent...we'll see how it continues...

shyturtle27 08-06-2007 11:50 PM

Re: the GOLDEN AGE of Reality TV is upon us!

Watching pick-up artist right now. Saw that mystery dude on conan once...HUGE TOOL! Should be entertaining though. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

El Diablo 08-07-2007 12:51 AM

Dom,

These have already been mentioned in the Summer TV thread, but there are enough crap-ass new reality shows coming out that I think they deserve their own thread.

I am SHOCKED that you liked Scott Baio's show. Wow, I watched a couple and thought it was just horrible start-to-finish. Near unwatchable.

I agree that Rock of Love is pretty sweet, but wow, I'd expect Bret Michaels to still get a much better looking group than that. Most are women I and most of my friends would turn down. Like, Rodeo, WTF? She's an old hag! And Magdalena not just sounds but LOOKS like a drag queen. Jes, however, wow, she is incredible.

The Two Coreys is another one that had such promise, but wow, completely unwatchable.

I just watched the new ones on VH1.

The Pickup Artist definitely has potential. Might suck, though, hard to tell so far. I don't think it's going to be as entertaining as Beauty and the Geek.

Mission Man Band looks pretty bad, but I'll give it one more shot.

The Rock Life, about Cisco Adler's band Whitestarr looks pretty ridiculous, but pretty sweet. I'll be watching because I'm jealous of even low-grade rock stars.

Dominic 08-07-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom,

These have already been mentioned in the Summer TV thread, but there are enough crap-ass new reality shows coming out that I think they deserve their own thread.

I am SHOCKED that you liked Scott Baio's show. Wow, I watched a couple and thought it was just horrible start-to-finish. Near unwatchable.

I agree that Rock of Love is pretty sweet, but wow, I'd expect Bret Michaels to still get a much better looking group than that. Most are women I and most of my friends would turn down. Like, Rodeo, WTF? She's an old hag! And Magdalena not just sounds but LOOKS like a drag queen. Jes, however, wow, she is incredible.

The Two Coreys is another one that had such promise, but wow, completely unwatchable.

I just watched the new ones on VH1.

The Pickup Artist definitely has potential. Might suck, though, hard to tell so far. I don't think it's going to be as entertaining as Beauty and the Geek.

Mission Man Band looks pretty bad, but I'll give it one more shot.

The Rock Life, about Cisco Adler's band Whitestarr looks pretty ridiculous, but pretty sweet. I'll be watching because I'm jealous of even low-grade rock stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

hhahahahaha....I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Scott Baio show. It has everything, IMO. I love that he's allowing himself to look like a jerk at times...but he always comes off as honestly wanting to improve his outlook on marriage and commitment, even though it is obviously still out of his reach. The used-to-be-famous-and-successful costars of his are also great TV. I actually got to shoot Julie McCullough in a Playboy video back in the 90s and I had a huuuuuge crush on her...very sweet, if a tad nutty, girl. To see her still looking damn good at 40 is just cool.

I really love the little missions he's sent on, too...the daycare center, the dating service, the old couple, etc.

Obviously, I can also relate to his angst a little, too, so maybe that's it.

I watched the first few minutes of the rock group one and didn't get into it. Missed Man Band, on purpose!

Alobar 08-07-2007 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is one of the best parts of the show, the women are pretty run down and skanky, or just flat out mannish and he goes on and on about how hot they. I dunno why, but I think its just soooo awesome.

I agree about Jes tho, her and mia are the only two on the show I would [censored] without a couple drinks in me

gaming_mouse 08-07-2007 07:01 AM

In general I hate reality shows, but I agree that Scott Baio's show is excellent and possibly the pinnacle of the form.

Yeti 08-07-2007 09:40 AM

is that mark philippousis show any good? heard about it on PTI a couple of months ago but never watched it.

James Boston 08-07-2007 09:54 AM

I'm not into the Scott Baio show. I tried watching it, but it just got too boring. Dom, in regards to your "prick" comment, I kind of agree. The only saving grace to his prickisness is that he seems very aware and accepting of his own washed-upness, which is somewhat redemeing.

I'm a big Rock of Love fan. I'm unashamed to say I was, and still am, a big Poison fan. Also, I have somewhat of a soft spot for the skanky stripper types. And, damn Jes is hot. That girl seriously rocks my party.

The jury is out on The Pickup Artist, but my hopes are high.

El Diablo 08-07-2007 01:37 PM

Al: "IMO this is one of the best parts of the show, the women are pretty run down and skanky, or just flat out mannish and he goes on and on about how hot they. I dunno why, but I think its just soooo awesome." Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with all of this!

Yeti: Age of Love. I watched about 1/2 of an episode and it looked retarded. Some old hags and some stupid young chicks, none of which I could believe he'd actually date for any significant period.

Jurollo 08-07-2007 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this is one of the best parts of the show, the women are pretty run down and skanky, or just flat out mannish and he goes on and on about how hot they. I dunno why, but I think its just soooo awesome.

I agree about Jes tho, her and mia are the only two on the show I would [censored] without a couple drinks in me

[/ QUOTE ]
Jes = oh man!
Mia = mama mia!
No love for Brandi M? She is [censored] smoking too. Rest suck. Lacey is gross, Magda is a beast, Rodeo was hysterical on a gross level. Heather = skank. Who am I missing here?

Dids 08-07-2007 02:03 PM

Frankly the first season of The Real World still strikes me as by far the best reality show ever in terms of a quality perspective.

Real World Las Vegas being by far the best from a "omg trainwreck" perspective.

El Diablo 08-07-2007 02:18 PM

Jurollo,

Jes is the only one who I definitely would ask to stay and rock my world.

Here's the list:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/rock_of...aracters.jhtml

I thought Kristia was also very hot, though super dumb.

Brandi M sometimes looks hot, other times looks sorta mannish and skanky.

Tamara was pretty hot, although in a skank-a-riffic way.

Erin would maybe be hot except for those ridiculous fake boobs that make her unattractive to me.

Samantha is almost hot and has a lot going for her (of course she's also super f'd up), but it just doesn't quite come together.

Anyway, Jes. JESJESJESJESJES. Love her.

amplify 08-07-2007 02:21 PM

Rock of Love definitely sets the bar higher for televised drunken slooty behavior.

Alobar 08-07-2007 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rodeo was hysterical on a gross level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im super bummed shes gone, I was looking forward to weeks of her having meltdowns and shots of her crying because when she touched brett she felt his soul, and then 30 seconds later breaking out into that scary maniacal laugh.

When I first started watching the show I just assumed they were gunna cut according to what was best for TV and entertainment and this whole "looking for love" thing was basically BS. But Ive been suprised because so far the cuts have been whats the worst for good TV and actually seem to be him looking for true love

To all the Jess lovers (of which I am obviously one), how much of her hotness is based on her hair? Id think she was hot anyway, but the hair sends her over the top for me and puts her into the "I wanna follow you home so I know where you live and then drive by your house 10 times a day" category

JuntMonkey 08-07-2007 04:24 PM

Haven't seen the first two, but the jury is certainly still out on The Pick-Up Artist. There were some pretty obvious rehearsed moments, as well as the horrendous "fake reaction shot" editing. Wouldn't be surprised if Pradeep was an actor. Still has a lot of promise though.

The "Golden Age" of Reality TV was pretty obviously 2000-2001, the beginning for all intents and purposes. The first season of Survivor was absolutely brilliant and will never, ever be duplicated (Richard Hatch created Reality TV strategy and you're not going to be able to recapture that first time). Seriously, if you've never seen it, rent it.

Then you had the Mole 1 and 2 (not Celebrity) which were excellent and intelligent. Even crap like the first Big Brother and Temptation Island felt fresh and cool at the time.

J.Brown 08-07-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jurollo,

Jes is the only one who I definitely would ask to stay and rock my world.

Here's the list:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/rock_of...aracters.jhtml

I thought Kristia was also very hot, though super dumb.

Tamara was pretty hot, although in a skank-a-riffic way.

Erin would maybe be hot except for those ridiculous fake boobs that make her unattractive to me.

Samantha is almost hot and has a lot going for her (of course she's also super f'd up), but it just doesn't quite come together.

Anyway, Jes. JESJESJESJESJES. Love her.

[/ QUOTE ]

god you have good taste.

i continue to be amazed by not having to make posts because you read my mind and then state exactly what i was going to say......jes is real world smoking hot. the rest mehhh.

btw have you seen the mind reader/controller show on the sci fi channel called Mind Control?

not too bad so far, but not as good as the pick up artist, after one episode it is top shelf, especially just to see the "pros" in action.

later. J.

James Boston 08-07-2007 05:00 PM

Oh yeah...I didn't mention these two Diablo reminded me of.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree with this.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. She's hot WITH the circus boobs.

El Diablo 08-07-2007 05:07 PM

Alobar: The hair is definitely a plus, but her face, body, attitude, personality, all are awesome too. She is just all-around awesome.

Brown: Thanks, now you can direct your bro accordingly to set me up with the right type! Oh, I think I'll get him out on the tennis court next week so he can give you a scouting report.

Dominic 08-07-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar: The hair is definitely a plus, but her face, body, attitude, personality, all are awesome too. She is just all-around awesome.

Brown: Thanks, now you can direct your bro accordingly to set me up with the right type! Oh, I think I'll get him out on the tennis court next week so he can give you a scouting report.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only ones I like are Jes, Mia and Sam, the tattoo chick. The others are all skanky hos.

Dominic 08-14-2007 12:44 PM

This week's Baio was decent, not great....the cuddle party was very weird, though....any man who would go to one of those should have his testicles permantly removed. The dwarf winking at Scott was pretty funny, though.

On Rock of Love, it was good seeing one of the blonde stripper bimbos get the boot. Jes kicked ass in football and almost broke that freaky pshcho chick's ankle with a tackle. From the previews, it looks like Sam is gone next week, by her own choice....

El Diablo 08-14-2007 02:49 PM

Dom,

Jes is athletic and into sports. OMG, chick is f'ing perfect. Based on the preview, I think Bret is gonna convince her to change her mind or something.

James Boston 08-14-2007 03:00 PM

Who's the favorite for Bret to pick right now? Jes is my personal favorite.

ThaHero 08-14-2007 03:34 PM

I like Jes too. I know it was probably edited, but that game winning touchdown catch was freakin awesome.

tw0please 08-14-2007 03:34 PM

I have not seen this Pick-up Artist show, but for anyone interested in how Mystery does his thing go pick up a copy of The Game by Neil Strauss. It's basically a book about how to pickup girls, as taught by Mystery to the author of the book. From friends I know who practice the book's content religiously, all the negative game and pickup scenarios that Mystery teaches work very well on girls that are seemingly out of their league.

For lots of entertainment value, give a hot and intelligent female friend a copy of this book to read, go to a bar with her, and watch as some poor shmuck inevitably tries an approach from the book on her before she finishes the approach for him...line for line.

El Diablo 08-14-2007 03:39 PM

All,

Watched a few last night.

Newport Harbor - this is the new Laguna Beach. Some HOT chicks. People seem sorta boring and dumb, but definitely a very good-looking cast. I'll give this at least another try.

Second episode of the Pickup Artist. This looks like it might have potential. I'm keeping it around for at least another couple of tries.

Mission Man Band. Hmmm, I thought this would suck, but actually might have promise. At least one more shot.

The Rock Life. OK, I actually like this show. It seems the most "real" of all these shows. Basically, rich kid w/ his relatively high profile indie band trying to make it. Maybe only compelling to me because I'm jealous of rock stars, but I dunno, I like it.

Most importantly, though, apparently The Hills Season 3 is here!!!! YES! Looking forward to watching this!

El Diablo 08-14-2007 03:40 PM

JB,

Prior to last ep, I thought Jes would not give it up easily enough for Bret to pick her and he'd go for a more openly slutty chick. However, after a little bit of hesitance she seems to be going for it now, so as long as she continues along this path I think she's the favorite.

Dominic 08-14-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JB,

Prior to last ep, I thought Jes would not give it up easily enough for Bret to pick her and he'd go for a more openly slutty chick. However, after a little bit of hesitance she seems to be going for it now, so as long as she continues along this path I think she's the favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But my dark horse is Mia...she seems cool, fun and mellow. And Brett keeps her around every week even though he's yet to spend any alone time with her.

lapoker17 08-14-2007 04:25 PM

wowowowow flipping out is the best show on television right now - better even than mad men.

El Diablo 08-14-2007 04:37 PM

la,

Wow. Will get Season Pass ASAP.

Dids 08-14-2007 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wowowowow flipping out is the best show on television right now - better even than mad men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just based on the commercials, I feel like I would hate the dude so much that I would be unable to watch.

Runkmud 08-15-2007 07:53 AM

No love for The Two Coreys? It's douchebaggery squared!!!!

Ron Burgundy 08-15-2007 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Srsly? This show is unwatchable. It's just a phony looking gay guy having a panic attack for an hour.

Ron Burgundy 08-15-2007 08:06 AM

I saw the 2 Corey's show a couple days ago. I don't even understand wtf is going on. They have the stupidest conversations about nothing. Then the hot chick just starts crying every 10 minutes for no reason.

Dominic 08-15-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw the 2 Corey's show a couple days ago. I don't even understand wtf is going on. They have the stupidest conversations about nothing. Then the hot chick just starts crying every 10 minutes for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. sounds like my last relationship. no thanks.

El Diablo 08-15-2007 01:54 PM

All,

Saw the first two eps of The Hills. Another solid start.

Dominic 08-19-2007 06:56 PM

update:

Scott Baio "broke up" with his man-friend of twenty years because the guy is just a huge douche. I'm liking Chachi more and more as I watch this. Seems like a real guy. Good show.

"Rock of Love"

Man am I hating that psycho bitch Lacey...I want to see her chewd up in a wood chipper and her remains eaten by gophers. I'm getting the feeling Brett is really digging the prozac antics of Sam and she's my dark horse to win this thing. Heather is a man. She has to be. She is so man-like I can't believe she's actually female.

I'm digging Jess and Mia...

James Boston 08-19-2007 11:57 PM

I'm really digging Rock of Love. My thoughts on the girls:

Sam- Too moody. Plus, she's not my type. I can't say that I'm rooting for her.

Mia- She's hot but just seems uninteresting. I'm waiting for her to do something to stand out.

Lacey- First of all, she's not hot at all. Combine that with her bitchiness, and I don't know why she's still on the show.

Heather- Skanky stripper. I see no use for her.

Brandi- Very hot in a weird way. She seems like a fun girl to party with. My second favorite.

Jes- Easily my top pick. She hot, seems cool, and doesn't cause drama.

Jurollo 08-20-2007 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
update:

Scott Baio "broke up" with his man-friend of twenty years because the guy is just a huge douche. I'm liking Chachi more and more as I watch this. Seems like a real guy. Good show.

"Rock of Love"

Man am I hating that psycho bitch Lacey...I want to see her chewd up in a wood chipper and her remains eaten by gophers. I'm getting the feeling Brett is really digging the prozac antics of Sam and she's my dark horse to win this thing. Heather is a man. She has to be. She is so man-like I can't believe she's actually female.

I'm digging Jess and Mia...

[/ QUOTE ]
This week's Baio was hilarious. I loved the guy saying that he wasnt going to let Dr. Ali ruin his time with Scott Baio!

Rock of Love continues to be awesome. Jes and Brandi are [censored] hot. Lacey pisses me off so bad and is hideous, I wont be surprised if production was telling Brett to keep her around to cause drama though. Heather sucks too. Mia is hot but too quiet. Sam is cute but a nut job.

JennFox 08-20-2007 12:47 AM

rock of love sucks. flavor of love was a million times better..

Dominic 08-20-2007 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rock of love sucks. flavor of love was a million times better..

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree...there was no way I could believe any woman in the world would want to spend 5 minutes in Flava Faves's presence.