Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Fire Tony Kornheiser (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539454)

lastchance 11-06-2007 02:26 AM

Fire Tony Kornheiser

Because I like hearing things about the football game that I am watching. Agreed?

yeotaJMU 11-06-2007 02:30 AM

Re: Fire Tony Kornheiser

YES. as i was watching today i think i yelled "hey tony SHUT YOUR [censored] MOUTH" about 20 times. however i do enjoy when he makes some retarded comment and is entirely ignored as play by play continues.

i do like him on PTI though

Bremen 11-06-2007 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because I like hearing things about the football game that I am watching. Agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]
huh? Can you not tell whats going on in the game through your watching?

selurah 11-06-2007 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Love the guy on PTI, but for the love of god get him the hell off MNF.

gehrig 11-06-2007 02:40 AM

i dont get why everyone loves kornheiser

i mean hes never said anything interesting or insightful in his life has he

j555 11-06-2007 02:43 AM

I agree! He's ok on PTI and his radio show, but he's terrible on MNF. He adds nothing to the broadcast and knows little about the game. Dennis Miller at least added humor! They need to keep Jaws and dump Kornheiser!

Fonkey123 11-06-2007 02:44 AM

Fire Kornheiser, and don't hire a 3rd man. Just let Jaws do the whole broadcast himself.

SuperUberBob 11-06-2007 02:50 AM

I've been a firm believer that broadcasting is a two man job. Just like comedy acts have a straight man and the joker. Spots broadcaster has the analyst and the play-by-play man.

Kornheiser is great on PTI, but his sarcasm and humor is restricted on MNF.

selurah 11-06-2007 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fire Kornheiser, and don't hire a 3rd man. Just let Jaws do the whole broadcast himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fairly good idea. Jaws is the man.

BowToYourSensei 11-06-2007 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dennis Miller at least added humor!

[/ QUOTE ]

http://blog.pbwiki.com/wp-content/up...07/03/fail.jpg

hoyasnaxa 11-06-2007 03:40 AM

At least he stopped saying everyone was on his fantasy team. It got to the point that Ovie Mughelli would score a TD and Kornheiser would claim he was on his team. But yea hes not funny and doesnt know very much.

Jaws is money cash.

MikeyPatriot 11-06-2007 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're indirectly knocking him, but I think Tirico does a pretty solid job as the PBP guy.

Jack10 11-06-2007 04:19 AM

Yes, and whoever hired him.

JackWhite 11-06-2007 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't speak for him, but speaking for myself, it is annoying when you are watching a game and the announcers are far more interested in talking about other things.

Fonkey123 11-06-2007 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're indirectly knocking him, but I think Tirico does a pretty solid job as the PBP guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] you're really making me spell it out? Kornheiser+ Tirico+Jaws= 3 people I said fire Kornheiser and don't hire a 3rd man meaning keep Tirico and Jaws.

van_exel_fan 11-06-2007 06:21 AM

Please don't say fire Tony...

If a ESPN exec is a 2p2er and reads this he might think people don't like Tony and then fire him from MNF which could lead to a tailspin that ends with the end of PTI...

I need PTI and I hate it w/ guests like Le Batard and such...Only decent replacement would be Bob Ryan who I think people hate too...

Hopefully just Tony will read this and respectfully step down from MNF at the end of the season.................................

THEOSU 11-06-2007 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't speak for him, but speaking for myself, it is annoying when you are watching a game and the announcers are far more interested in talking about other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES THE THIRTY FIVE TO ZERO GAME IS RIVETING, LET US DISCUSS NOTHING FURTHER.

z32fanatic 11-06-2007 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Do you really miss the commentary on a game where 80% of the people AT THE GAME have already left?! Even Jaws was bored at the end of the game when he was analyzing Ed Reed's INT. Kornheiser is great and asks really good questions at times. It was a great idea for ESPN to get a sportswriter in the booth IMO.

Yeti 11-06-2007 10:28 AM

haha sometimes i think fire 'tony' then sometimes he makes me laugh.

i got the pitt feed 10 seconds before kick off. what was the first thing tony said? 'that guy with no t shirt on is INSANE'. i laughed.

MicroBob 11-06-2007 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Do you really miss the commentary on a game where 80% of the people AT THE GAME have already left?! Even Jaws was bored at the end of the game when he was analyzing Ed Reed's INT. Kornheiser is great and asks really good questions at times. It was a great idea for ESPN to get a sportswriter in the booth IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony will talk about other random stuff in a tie game with 1:30 to go as well.
He is pretty distracting and irrelevant sometimes whereas Jaws is simply the awesomest.

FishSticks 11-06-2007 12:39 PM

Tony Kornheiser is literally the worst broadcaster in the history of the NFL. On multiple occassions already this season I became so frustrated with his inane yammering that I was forced to mute the broadcast so I could actually enjoy the game. This level of frustration has never occured with me towards any other broadcaster, ever, in any sport.

(In fact, the entire MNF broadcast is a bit much. Chris Berman, Tom Jackson, and Bill Parcells are great. I LOVE the Boiling Point segment with Ditka and Parcells. That weird little second field studio with Stuart, Steve, and Emmitt is horrible. Emmitt Smith is an illiterate fool with nothing interesting to say. It's comical to me when they go around and get folk's picks prior to the game game and there's a full seventeen people that need to weigh in on it. But anyways...)

Top Kornheiser Peeves:

- He is the most overdramatic human being of all time
- He cares far more about his fantasy team than the actual game
- He can go at most 15 minutes at a time before saying "Brady" again
- He tries so hard to ask the pointed question to the booth guests, and it's always just awkward and foolish
- He clearly knows less about the game of football than plenty of fans
- His jokes are never funny
- HE NEVER EVER EVER SHUTS UP

Really, two in the booth is a time tested, proven formula. You need a play by play guy with a history in broadcasting, and you need a color commentator with a history in the NFL. The color guy ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS has actually been in the NFL, and it makes a huge difference. Letting a non-NFL alumn do color work is flatly retarded and always has been.

I think three in the booth would be too crowded even if Kornheiser were tolerable, but the fact that he is the literal worst of all time AND he's a third wheel makes the whole thing borderline intolerable at times.

FishSticks 11-06-2007 12:42 PM

One thing that could save Monday Night Football:

MORE BARKLEY IN THE BOOTH

legend42 11-06-2007 12:46 PM

I lived near DC for a long time so have been reading and listening to Kornheiser (and Wilbon) for years. I thought they were semi-amusing, but when PTI started, I had the same reaction as when George Michael's idiotic 'Sports Machine' went national back in the 80s. Wait, these are the best guys in the whole country?!?

MicroBob 11-06-2007 12:49 PM

Geroge Michael Sports Machine with all his buttons and "Lets go to the tape" was unintentionally hilarious on its own.

Zach Belden 11-06-2007 12:53 PM

Fire kornheiser AND jaws, jaws sucks (and i'm from philly)

Vyse 11-06-2007 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(and i'm from philly)

[/ QUOTE ]

As if your opinion needed to be invalidated more so? You couldn't have followed up with a worse tidbit.

PITTM 11-06-2007 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tony Kornheiser is literally the worst broadcaster in the history of the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dennis Miller will never budge from #1 imo.

Triumph36 11-06-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tony Kornheiser is literally the worst broadcaster in the history of the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Maas will never budge from #1 imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyler Durden 11-06-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geroge Michael Sports Machine with all his buttons and "Lets go to the tape" was unintentionally hilarious on its own.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, totally agree. Seriously, how the hell did that show get syndicated?

Zach Belden 11-06-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(and i'm from philly)

[/ QUOTE ]

As if your opinion needed to be invalidated more so? You couldn't have followed up with a worse tidbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh ok, you're gay.

Zutroy 11-06-2007 03:46 PM

I think the problem with Kornheiser isn't so much that he wanders during blowouts (most broadcasters do this I don't really have a problem with it).

The problem is that during regular playing situation where either team still has a shot to win, he adds absolutely nothing. He seems to know almost nothing about how football is even played and instead focuses almost entirely on the off-field BS that we already get shoved down our throats on all those pre-game shows. He'll talk about how a certain player feels or why isn't that player getting enough respect and all the while Jaws is trying to talk about the game. His obsession with Grossman last year was very bizarre and he could not be persuaded to talk about anything else. The same thing is true this year with Romo. Overall I think he is just a huge burden to the booth.

Also while we're at it, can we please get rid of those in booth interviews? Please?

MCS 11-06-2007 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Jaws is the best football commentator on the whole network.

MicroBob 11-06-2007 03:53 PM

"and all the while Jaws is trying to talk about the game."

This is the key.
Stop forcing yourself in and trying to make a point when Jaws has something to say and/or something is happening in the game.

In week 1 when McNair got knocked out and Kyle Boller came in he couldn't shut up about how awesome a person Boller is...blah blah blah. Okay, well, we've got 1 minute left and the game is on the line and BAL is driving and there's actually a play going on. Get out of the way with this touchy-feely "what a great feel-good story this is" stuff RIGHT NOW because he's throwing it in the end-zone.

botulism 11-06-2007 03:55 PM

I aree with most of what has been said Tony is great on PTI, but has to go on Monday Night Football. Jaws is the man, but please please dont break up Tony and Wilbon on PTI I need my daily fix.

Zach Belden 11-06-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? do people generally think this? everyone I know here hates him because he just talks like a weirdo sometimes. Also, he never reps philly

vhawk01 11-06-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

really? do people generally think this? everyone I know here hates him because he just talks like a weirdo sometimes. Also, he never reps philly

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Jaws is the most intelligent, most relevant of the guys on ESPN by far, at least for football (I heart Barry Melrose).

MicroBob 11-06-2007 04:14 PM

Never 'repping' his former team is considered a good thing by a lot of people.

Yes, I'm okay with naming Jaws as the best football analyst now. He's that good.

fanmail 11-06-2007 05:06 PM

Kornheiser is horrendous on MNF. Tirico is acceptable sometimes as a commentator. Jaws is an excellent announcer and a great choice for MNF. Dump Korny asap.

.Alex. 11-06-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm from Philly, couldn't care less about how many times he talks about the city/team, and don't know anyone who doesn't think he's great (including everyone on this board). Just out of curiosity though, who would be your choice to replace him?

Riverman 11-06-2007 08:25 PM

Not only is Kornheiser excruciatingly bad at calling the game, he makes the broadcasts 100% unwatchable during all the worthless interviews they do on MNF.

Also, whoever says Jaws sucks, that says more about you than Jaws. He is the man.