Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Golf (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Biggest Golf Pet Peeve (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=449091)

Zimmer4141 07-12-2007 12:51 AM

Biggest Golf Pet Peeve

This can be a thread to post what you absolutely can't stand on the golf course.

My biggest pet peeve:

The "Hero" Guy on the Par 5.

Yeah, he just hit his drive 20 yards into the rough. Yeah, he's 275 yards away from the green on a 510 yard par 5. But Dammit, he can hit it on the green! So he has to wait for the group to finish up on the green up ahead. He even has to hold up all of his playing partners who might actually have a chance of getting there. Maybe they just want to lay up, but they're gonna wait until He-man tops his shot another 100 yards down the fairway.

Rant on everybody, rant on.

JackInDaCrak 07-12-2007 12:53 AM

Re: Biggest Golf Pet Peeve

Me sucking.

Evan 07-12-2007 12:54 AM

My pet peeve is when I can reach a par 5 in two (easily, not talking about a miracle swing) and have to wait 20 minutes for the green to clear. I've started just laying up because I find I hit terrible shots once I've stood in the fairway forever.

RacersEdge 07-12-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This can be a thread to post what you absolutely can't stand on the golf course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's going to say "women" first?

RonMexico 07-12-2007 01:02 AM

Players who spray a 150-yarder OB off the tee, then "drop" to a spot in the fairway 50 yards further than where they crossed OB to play their "2nd shot." Subsequently, they usually like to claim they halved the hole with you or something when you shoot legit 4 or 5, and that's annoying.

TripleH68 07-12-2007 01:07 AM

I imagine you will hear plenty of pet peeve's about slow play, so here goes. I played a 5:15 round this past weekend walking in a foursome - behind a riding foursome.

1) When the group in front of you putts out, walks to their carts and it somehow takes two minutes for them to finally release the brake because they were cleaning their clubs, counting their strokes, placing their tees in the little tee holders, etc.

2) When everytime you walk to the next tee the group ahead of you has just finished teeing off and is getting into their carts. And ignores you. Doesn't even say hello or make eye contact.

3) When a foursome ahead of you all go to look for one player's ball in the trees for several minutes, rather than playing their shots first and then asking if the player needs assistance.

4) When a 20 handicap is about ten yards behind the 150 disc in the fairway - and walks off the yardage before selecting a club for his approach shot.

5) someone else take over please...

black knight 07-12-2007 01:15 AM

20+ handicaps playing from the tips...

Juniors taking 10 minutes to putt each hole b/c they're playing matchplay for a pro-v (ugh, this happened this week to me)...

People spending >2 minutes looking for a ball.

ghostface 07-12-2007 01:25 AM

people that use "golf" as a verb

black knight 07-12-2007 01:38 AM

It is a verb...

Evan 07-12-2007 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people that use "golf" as a verb

[/ QUOTE ]
2 points

ghostface 07-12-2007 01:40 AM

but it shouldnt be

Evan 07-12-2007 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a verb...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care. You're not "going golfing" today under my watch.

Hass 07-12-2007 01:56 AM

Hitting 15-18 greens in regulation 2 putting every green to shoot even. Then work on the putting stroke till it's perfect and going out the next day missing every green and making every par putt to shoot even.

golf is dumb, I quit 2 months ago.

JackInDaCrak 07-12-2007 01:56 AM

what about, "I'm golfing"

or "I'm going to golf later"

Evan 07-12-2007 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you
thin ice
bantown

JackInDaCrak 07-12-2007 01:58 AM

Banning me would just give me more time to golf [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

KotOD 07-12-2007 02:24 AM

Uneven tee boxes. I go absolutely mental over these. I shouldn't have to spend 10 second finding a flat spot on the tee box. ROLL THE DAMN TEE BOXES!

roy_miami 07-12-2007 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pokering.
I'm going to poker later.

JJSCOTT2 07-12-2007 04:20 AM

People who make threads that have been done recently....j/k, there's always room for more bitching.

One of mine:

People who are selectively obsessive about golf etiquette, they'll complain if I'm anything less than statuesque when they are putting but they have no problem driving by you in a cart at full speed while your hitting your shot from the fairway.

JJSCOTT2 07-12-2007 04:21 AM

Oh, the one that really bothers me, people who seem to have all the etiquette down, but miss something really really important.

Example:

You're in a foursome, you're on the tee box, the other three guys are standing by the carts talking at full volume with no indication that they're going to stop and let you hit your shot. How does anyone think this is acceptable?

Troll_Inc 07-12-2007 07:56 AM

1. Fat Americans who are lazy and can't walk an 18 golf course.

2. Packed courses on the weekend.

3. Golf courses that make you take a cart on the weekend because fat, lazy Americans have to ride in carts. Eventhough you could walk faster.

4. Dudes with preshot routines longer than 10 seconds. Newsflash, the longer you stand over your ball the more likely you are to hit a sucky shot.

5. Fat, lazy Americans that need to use carts to play because they are too lazy and too fat to be in decent enough shape to walk a course.

dcasper70 07-12-2007 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Golf courses that make you take a cart on the weekend because fat, lazy Americans have to ride in carts. Eventhough you could walk faster.

[/ QUOTE ]
seconded

- people who take 3 minutes to line up their putt for septuple bogey
- When I'm stuck behind a slow foursome and the group behind me hits into us
- When that group doesn't apologize
- When that group does it again, but gets upset when they see me jack their ball into the woods. You were warned.
- Bad players who complain about every shot. It's not because you picked your head up/had a weak grip/came too far inside/misread the putt....it's because you suck! Yo play 4 times a year, what do you expect? Shut up already!
- Anyone who tries to give me a tip/lesson mid round. If you're not a pro, and I didn't pay you, I don't want your stupid advice! You're most likely wrong anyways...

ghostface 07-12-2007 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing golf.

I'm going to play golf later.

TripleH68 07-12-2007 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to play at most of these courses and I let them know it. But I think it is also about more $$$ for the courses with cart fees.

Signed, an average lazy American.

By-Tor 07-12-2007 09:46 AM

dick head know-it-all country-club attitudes

most of you qualify.

JTrout 07-12-2007 09:49 AM

Trash on a golf course.
People who walk/drive by said trash without picking it up.
Finding a divot (not a ball mark) on a green. I wish I could catch the culprit just once.

People who do not keep legit handicaps.
People who do not even attempt to smooth out a bunker after digging in and hacking three times.

Carts by the green.
Pins in crooked (and often damaging the hole).
Whining, bitching, and moaning because "I'm really better than this."

oh wait, you said biggest....

Slow Play.

Zimmer4141 07-12-2007 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uneven tee boxes. I go absolutely mental over these. I shouldn't have to spend 10 second finding a flat spot on the tee box. ROLL THE DAMN TEE BOXES!

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be #2 for me.

Camdaman19 07-12-2007 09:55 AM

People who play extremely slow and will not let you pass even though there is no one ahead of them for 3 holes. Side Note: This is usually women who do this.

Aces McGee 07-12-2007 09:56 AM

Mine mostly relate to clearing the green quickly. Growing up, my regular playing partner was my Dad, and he taught me to approach the green in such a way that I could drop my bag on a line between the hole and the next tee, so I wouldn't have to waste time after we putted out. When one of us putted out, we'd grab the pin while the other holed out.

Now I play with good friends of mine, and some of the stuff they do, I just don't get. They'll leave the CART like 40 yards up the fairway, and if I'm the last one putting, there'll often be no one anywhere near the pin. I've tried to gently suggest ways to speed up our round, but I've got a (deserved) reputation for being nitty about things like this, so they don't take me all that seriously.

I also hate when hackers like myself hit a putt and just stand there for 20 seconds staring at the hole and the contour of the green when the putt doesn't come within four feet of the hole. Look, man, you suck at putting. This result shouldn't surprise you.

-McGee

knicknut 07-12-2007 11:47 AM

Using golf as a verb and groups that won't let you play through are two of my top ones.

Another one I hate is starters who are steadfast that "I don't put singles out on the course." I'll come up to the starter--the tee has been empty for half an hour in the late afternoon. I give him my ticket, he says "we don't put singles out, wait for the next person to come." The next "person" is a foursome, so he puts them out ahead of me until he can find someone to match me up with. Meanwhile I could have been on the 3rd tee by then, not holding anyone up and enjoying playing by myself.

Possibly the worst offense of this was when my matched-up foursome finish the 9th, and the other three all quit (for 2 of them that was hole 27 I believe). I go to ten and hit my tee shot, and the starter comes yelling at me: "You can't tee off by yourself!" I told him my playing partners from the front went home. He insisted I wait for other people to be matched up with. I had to wait until 2 more foursomes came off of 9 and let them play through until a twosome came through and I joined them.

That was about 6 years ago. I wouldn't take that crap now.

phishguy 07-12-2007 12:00 PM

I am a golfer who does not like to wear a glove.
I don't know what it is, I just hate using a golf glove.
I always hate when people try to "convince" me to use it. Its pretty bad when some one who shoots lower then me trys to get me to conform to there ways.

pologuy64 07-12-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

seconded

- people who take 3 minutes to line up their putt for septuple bogey
- When I'm stuck behind a slow foursome and the group behind me hits into us
- When that group doesn't apologize
- When that group does it again, but gets upset when they see me jack their ball into the woods. You were warned.
- Bad players who complain about every shot. It's not because you picked your head up/had a weak grip/came too far inside/misread the putt....it's because you suck! Yo play 4 times a year, what do you expect? Shut up already!
- Anyone who tries to give me a tip/lesson mid round. If you're not a pro, and I didn't pay you, I don't want your stupid advice! You're most likely wrong anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

This post made me LoL

mattnxtc 07-12-2007 12:29 PM

1. Some of the courses I play with are pretty tight courses (holes right next to each other). You miss the fairway/overshoot it on a dog leg and they swap out your good ball for their crappy ball.

2. Its a crowded Saturday morning and you have people in front of you. You are in the process of hitting to the green while the group in front of you is hitting off their tees..As they finish hitting off the tee, the group behind you decides skips your hole and jumps in right in front of you further delaying you.

JavaNut 07-12-2007 01:12 PM

My biggest golf pet peeve is that this always happens to me, when I am below my handicap, never when I play badly:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9526/golfue1.jpg

Hey_Porter 07-12-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Course I played yesterday actually had the tee box placed on the very beginning of the slop to the tips. It was subtle enough that it wasn't COMPLETELY obvious, but obvious enough that it shouldn't have been done. We moved them.

guids 07-12-2007 03:02 PM

woah, woah, woah...is golf not a verb? the dictionary has it as a verb, in Harvey Pennicks little red book the intro specifically saya something about how "neat" golf is becuase it is a verb, a noun, etc.

KotOD 07-12-2007 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Course I played yesterday actually had the tee box placed on the very beginning of the slop to the tips. It was subtle enough that it wasn't COMPLETELY obvious, but obvious enough that it shouldn't have been done. We moved them.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the rest of the box was flat? What the hell?

knicknut 07-12-2007 03:07 PM

Golfers don't use golf as a verb. I guarantee that usage of golf as a verb is inversely proportionate to ones handicap/skill.

On the tee box issue, I also hate when the rangers that move the tees (and have no idea what they're doing) put the back tees on the back edge of the teebox, 1 foot from the rough behind it. The teeing area extends two clublengths behind the marker, jackass. Are you telling me I should tee it up from the rough? Is that how you're making the tips harder? Jackass.

rando 07-12-2007 03:24 PM

–verb (used without object)
3. to play golf.

source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=golf

How about When those water coolers are not water coolers but "hot air bags." How hard is it to fill them with water when you charge so much to play?

Not replacing divots anywhere. Sure sometimes they are 30 yards away, but why did you go golfing today?

Those stupid limiters, when on carts they are set at like 12 mph. Why do you think it takes so long to get around the course? I'd rather sign a liability waiver or indemnification of some kind if I can go 30 and take my chances to get around in an hour less. I've played 18 in two hours no problem at the courses that are not too crowded and don't limit their cart speeds.

Aces McGee 07-12-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Golfers don't use golf as a verb.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems silly to me to accept the term "golfer" but reject the use of "golfing."

-McGee