Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Cool Sports You've Played (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524314)

ImsaKidd 10-16-2007 02:43 PM

Cool Sports You\'ve Played

So I've been looking for some cool new sports/activities to play, outside of the "standard" sports.

Last night I played underwater hockey ( Primer ) and it was very interesting. Basically hockey underwater, using much smaller sticks and flippers, masks, etc.

Anyone have any sports/activities they've done that people may not have heard of?

EDIT: Underwater Hockey pic:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/Und...teal-small.jpg

gumpzilla 10-16-2007 02:52 PM

Re: Cool Sports You\'ve Played

I haven't read the rules, but that seems like a terrible game.

Maybe you'll get a bunch of responses along the lines of "CALVINBALL!!!" I say just play ultimate, it's weird enough.

Kneel B4 Zod 10-16-2007 02:57 PM

my favorite college sport was Broomball. It's hockey, except you play with sneakers instead of skates, a small ball instead of a puck, and a field hockey esque stick instead of a regular hocket stick. (you play in a regular hockey rink)

my senior year Broomball team was probably the best team I have ever played on, we had like 25 goals and allowed only 2, winning the league championship over the team filled with ex (some division I) hockey players.

Imrahil 10-16-2007 03:22 PM

Playing with an underwater stick suits you well IMSA imo.

Slow Play Ray 10-16-2007 03:23 PM

don't know if it's what you're looking for but my favorite leisure sport is cornhole.

Event Duality 10-16-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing with an underwater stick suits you well IMSA imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol shortsticking.

ImsaKidd 10-16-2007 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the rules, but that seems like a terrible game.

Maybe you'll get a bunch of responses along the lines of "CALVINBALL!!!" I say just play ultimate, it's weird enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very hard to get used to. I definitely felt outclassed, a bunch of the players had been there for years.

By the end, I was definitely getting used to it. Note the pool was 12 feet deep and it was like 5v5, so most times there were only 2 players down per side.

ImsaKidd 10-16-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't know if it's what you're looking for but my favorite leisure sport is cornhole.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard it called something different ("bags"), but yes it is awesome.

It is especially fun when you are drunk. You play worse, but you yell a lot more.

barncat 10-16-2007 05:27 PM

ladder golf or takraw

PITTM 10-16-2007 05:40 PM

Ultimate Frisbee can actually be really fun with the right crowd.

MissChriss 10-16-2007 05:42 PM

Prof. swimming and judo.

Macdaddy Warsaw 10-16-2007 05:54 PM

Is fencing cool?

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/985/fencingla1.jpg

billygrippo 10-16-2007 06:05 PM

i used to fence. it wasnt very cool.

ImsaKidd 10-16-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Frisbee can actually be really fun with the right crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played a lot in high school, it is very fun when the game is laid back, nobody is super competitive but they're trying, etc.

In the hardcore balls to the wall aggro games, I really don't have fun, people take it way too serious.

jtown1010 10-16-2007 06:19 PM

Even though I'm semi-retarded at it, I enjoy disk golf a lot. When I was in college and in shape, a few of my friends played timed golf, where you ran to your shots and your finishing time was calculated with your golf score to reflect who finished fastest.

SlowHabit 10-16-2007 06:20 PM

Tackle football.

lennytheduck 10-16-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best tailgating game ever.

gumpzilla 10-16-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In the hardcore balls to the wall aggro games, I really don't have fun, people take it way too serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want to find some new sports because people are too competitive? Calvinball all the way!

Man, I'm used to trying to sell people that ultimate is actually a sport, but that seems to be the opposite of what you want to hear.

TheChad 10-16-2007 06:28 PM

competitive rock climbing for me.

http://www.usaclimbing.net

MrWookie 10-16-2007 06:40 PM

I played water polo in high school, but I haven't kept up with it much since college.

keikiwai 10-16-2007 06:59 PM

disc golf ftw

you can be serious about it, you can drink while doing it, you can get high while doing it...

fun crowd on the courses too in general

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/891...1530917br3.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/883...olumbiavq0.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1...154530cxq9.jpg

billygrippo 10-16-2007 07:04 PM

i play nightgolf a lot. its just like golf, but at night! its srsly awsome tho: no one on the course (except occasional highschool parties), the cops have let us play 7/8 encounters, u can bring alcohol, never have to rush or wait for other golfers and its free!

here is the place where i get my balls. they have these new LED flashing balls that are pretty sweet. if you like golf, i recommend you try it at night.

chisness 10-16-2007 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my favorite college sport was Broomball. It's hockey, except you play with sneakers instead of skates, a small ball instead of a puck, and a field hockey esque stick instead of a regular hocket stick. (you play in a regular hockey rink)

[/ QUOTE ]

i broke my elbow the first time i played this

imsa, squash is a cool sport that gives you a great workout. it's similar to racquetball but the ball/racquet are different and you can't hit the ball below/above certain lines. it's not common, which means finding courts can be tough.

prohornblower 10-16-2007 08:57 PM

Underwater hockey seems like a really fun game pause not.

AceCR9 10-16-2007 10:04 PM

disc golf def best choice

and it costs less than a imsa-buyin to play

EMc 10-16-2007 10:09 PM

kan jam

http://www.kanjam.com/

ImsaKidd 10-16-2007 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want to find some new sports because people are too competitive? Calvinball all the way!

Man, I'm used to trying to sell people that ultimate is actually a sport, but that seems to be the opposite of what you want to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

When i'm getting constantly elbowed and crap its not fun.

tsearcher 10-16-2007 10:53 PM

Full contact no holds barred 500.

This game is sometimes played with a baseball but it's more fun and a lot safer with a football or frisbee. One person is the thrower and 2 - 10 people compete to catch the object.

100 points are scored for catching the object on the fly. 100 points are subtracted for dropping the object.
50 points are scored to the first person to pick it up off the ground if no one catches it on the fly.

First player to 500 wins and becomes the new thrower.

As the name implies tripping, shoving, tackling are all permitted.

The game is a blast and a great workout.

Outlaw4033 10-17-2007 12:10 AM

Ultimate Frisbee is a fun game. Great exercise too. When I was in junior high we used to play this game called 'Matt Ball'. Basically it was kickball but played in the gym, and instead of 3 bases there were 4, one in each corner of the gym. The game plays exactly like kickball except once you get on the matt you cannot get off unless you make it to the next base. So if you take off running and want to go back to the matt you were just at you're SOL. And the defense has to get 10 outs. Great game. Lots of fun.

OrigamiSensei 10-17-2007 01:17 AM

Although it may seem very uncool I got to try curling last year. I never would have imagined that tossing a fifty pound piece of granite and swiping a broom in front of it would be so much fun but it was a complete blast. By the end of the evening we were getting the hang of it and doing quite a bit to control the rock.

ThaSaltCracka 10-17-2007 02:55 AM

I will also throw in a vote for Disc golf. I got a bit burned out on it, but it is pretty fun. Real laid back as well.

Been getting into Racquetball quite a bit as well. Excellent workout and can be a lot of fun.

dukemagic 10-17-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played water polo in high school, but I haven't kept up with it much since college.

[/ QUOTE ]
i played water polo in HS and am on a club team in college. it's by far my favorite sport, and i love playing it, but it's very hard for someone without a strong swim background to get into. and then, even if you do have that strong swim background, it still takes a lot of practice before it becomes really fun.

so yeah, i loooooove water polo, but i'm not sure if it's for the OP. if he liked underwater hockey, then i'd 2nd the broomball suggestion. that's a lot of fun, even if you have no clue what you're doing. i've played that in just my speedo before - pretty fun, actually, although it stung like crazy when i fell onto the ice.

Velocity 10-17-2007 04:08 AM

If you're in decent shape, going on what I call Rider Style runs is fun. The gist of it is based on Teddy Roosevelt's walks where he would go in a straight line and climb and maneuver through anything in you're way. What this turns into is real cross country running, where you have to hop logs that have fallen in the forest, climb fences, and cross creeks. If you don't have wooded areas nearby, running on the streets and altering your path so you have to hurdle garbage cans, push off the tops of fire hydrants, and generally change up your stride often and break the monotony of an hour long run and has you work a variety of various muscle groups you don't normally use on a run.

imitation 10-17-2007 06:07 AM

lawn bowls drunk and barefoot is great fun, competitively I always liked waterpolo a lot and thought it was cool and not nearly as popular as it should be.

Slow Play Ray 10-17-2007 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard it called something different ("bags"), but yes it is awesome.

It is especially fun when you are drunk. You play worse, but you yell a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, or Baggo. There was an article in Newsweek about the naming "controversy" last week.

Drinking actually helps my game, but only up to a certain point. It's like a plateau: 5-6 drinks up the vertical, 4-5 drinks on the flat, then all downhill from there.

*Edit* Couldn't get article link to work, linked to Google's cached version instead.

pzhon 10-17-2007 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ladder golf or takraw

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to second sepak takraw, which is fun to play, and is amazing to watch when played by experts. It's too bad that it isn't played more in the US. Sepak takraw is fundamentally like volleyball, but with the restrictions of soccer, and a badminton net ~ 5 feet high. Competitive players spike over this net, and block.

w_alloy 10-17-2007 08:32 AM

Soccer tennis! This game is a ton of fun.

My friends and I made up our own version of rules before we knew anyone else played it, and I think they work better for players who aren't really good.

Use a regular singles tennis court. You can limit this to just the half closest to the net if you have 2v2 or 1v1 (this is normally played 3v3 but anywhere from 1 to 4 per side works) and/or are just starting. Serve from behind the middle lines by bouncing the ball then hitting with your foot. Unlimited touches are allowed per team and player, and any body part is legal besides hands/arms. One bounce is allowed per side before contact is made, after that if it hits the ground it's the other team's point, like in tennis. We use volleyball scoring (only score on serve), and call it stennis.

http://soccertennis.org/ is a link to an organization with somewhat different rules and a video on their homepage.

anklebreaker 10-17-2007 10:15 AM

Soccer tennis is so much fun. I play 3 touches max.

I also gotta nominate hand squash. All you need is a tennis ball, a wall, and some competetive friends.

kutuz_off 10-17-2007 11:17 AM

I wish soccertennis was more popular than it is. We played on volleyball courts though, that's gotta be different. 3 touches max.

I also used to play bandy (ice hockey with ball and curved sticks, popular in Scandinavian countries and Russia).

By-Tor 10-17-2007 11:30 AM

pocketpool