Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Set mine in multiway pot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=534453)

KingDan 10-30-2007 07:14 AM

Set mine in multiway pot

I made a bet with a friend on whether this is supposed to be a call or a fold.

5/10, 1k effective, I open UTG to 35, UTG+1 calls, SB who is fairly agro makes it 135, BB calls, can I call here profitably with 22? I think UTG+1 is usually calling and almost never shoving.

luegofuego 10-30-2007 07:53 AM

Re: Set mine in multiway pot

no

edit: i guess i should say "1 vote for no" altho what i really mean is "NO!"

berserk 10-30-2007 12:48 PM

no

king_of_drafts 10-30-2007 12:55 PM

hell ya call

MYNAMEIZGREG 10-30-2007 01:05 PM

I vote no

Daliman 10-30-2007 01:13 PM

Sure.

jfish 10-30-2007 01:20 PM

because SB has a strong range in this spot, it is not bad. but usually this should be an instafold.

Ship Ship McGipp 10-30-2007 01:21 PM

only yes if on tilt, if so, then yES!

if not then nah, not really

king_of_drafts 10-30-2007 01:23 PM

You get a free card so often in these pots

snowbank 10-30-2007 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no

[/ QUOTE ]

fslexcduck 10-30-2007 01:57 PM

i vote yes just because it's an utg open and a sb repot and a bb cold call. if you were otb i'd say easy fold.

Boredom 10-30-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because SB has a strong range in this spot, it is not bad. but usually this should be an instafold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're saying that SB's "strong range [in this situation]" makes a call okay, what other situations are you referring to wherein this is "usually" a fold? By that I mean, what similar (but obviously not exactly alike) situations are you referring to? I'm not trying to bust your balls at all, genuinely curious what you meant.

Orlando Salazar 10-30-2007 01:59 PM

if UTG+1 is for sure only calling, this is at best neutral EV

fslexcduck 10-30-2007 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're saying that SB's "strong range [in this situation]" makes a call okay, what other situations are you referring to wherein this is "usually" a fold? By that I mean, what similar (but obviously not exactly alike) situations are you referring to? I'm not trying to bust your balls at all, genuinely curious what you meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

because the original raiser was utg and not somewhere else, sb and bb's ranges are both stronger

Taylor Caby 10-30-2007 03:49 PM

no i would not call here.

you're almost never stacking the guy to your left, according to the range i put him on. occasionally he'll flop top 2 vs your set or a big draw vs your set, but every other time you are folding when you miss (i assume you aren't bluffing here often), and even the times you do get it in vs him you probably aren't that far ahead. add this to the times that he flops set over set on you, and that he has position, and you pretty much are have no discernable edge against him.

SB - aggro, he knows you are UTG so he has a stronger hand than most of his 3bets, still, he's messing around at least 15-20% of the time (meaning you aren't stacking him when you flop a set these hands). He's going to miss with AQ/AK sometimes, you won't stack him much of the time here, and you'll run set into set under set here.

I'm not sure why i went into so much detail to basically say "assuming these guys play even moderately well post flop, you just won't be stacking them a large enough percentage of the time that you do in fact flop a set to make up for the fact that the stack sizes are only 100 BB's.

fold this hand.

tc

kingofclubs 10-30-2007 03:51 PM

No

slik 10-30-2007 07:44 PM

To all those saying no, we only have to make like 400 to break even and our relative position is good. Can you make an argument on why we cannot make > 1 pot sized bet profit postflop?

ilikeaces86_ 10-30-2007 11:31 PM

Maybe

James282 10-30-2007 11:42 PM

Taylor,

Thanks for taking your time to post this, as it is a super common situation that many people(in your opinion) play wrongly. What pair would be big enough for you to call here, and how deep would stacks be, optimally? By your logic, it seems as though 99 and 22 would be a nearly identical hand here(the exception being that we won't get stacked set under set vs. the bb as often). Not trying to be sarcastic in the least - this is a situation that I never got completely clear on in my transition from limit to NL. I also assume that you are folding 89s here? Or would you prefer a suited connector to a tiny pair in this spot. Would love to hear anyone's insight here. Thanks for any help!

James

FatalError 10-31-2007 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To all those saying no, we only have to make like 400 to break even and our relative position is good. Can you make an argument on why we cannot make > 1 pot sized bet profit postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

because of the increased % of the time you get your stack in with 1 out as opposed to bigger pairs

ImsaKidd 10-31-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taylor,

Thanks for taking your time to post this, as it is a super common situation that many people(in your opinion) play wrongly. What pair would be big enough for you to call here, and how deep would stacks be, optimally? By your logic, it seems as though 99 and 22 would be a nearly identical hand here(the exception being that we won't get stacked set under set vs. the bb as often). Not trying to be sarcastic in the least - this is a situation that I never got completely clear on in my transition from limit to NL. I also assume that you are folding 89s here? Or would you prefer a suited connector to a tiny pair in this spot. Would love to hear anyone's insight here. Thanks for any help!

James

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 98s is way worse because the "good" flops for it are not as high equity as a set, rather they are things like combo draws and 2 pairs.

Dale Dough 10-31-2007 12:13 PM

Then again, you get to semibluff when you flop something, so you're not solely relying on stacking someone to break even.

creedofhubris 11-01-2007 05:11 AM

Probably obvious, but if you can't play 22 here to a reraise then you sure as hell shouldn't be opening with it UTG.

luegofuego 11-01-2007 05:16 AM

what? what does that have to do with anything? are u saying that everything u open from EP should withstand a reraise? thats silly.

SeriAce 11-01-2007 05:17 AM

ssnl?

jfish 11-01-2007 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taylor,

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Greeksquared 11-01-2007 12:03 PM

"you only need to make 400 more to make this profitable"

You are assuming that you win 100 percent of the time here when you flop a set. I think it's much closer to 80% equity here if you get it all in. Set over set is a fairly big concern here especially if UTG+1 calls.

I usually make it a rule to always get at least 10:1 implied odds when set mining. In your case you need even more implied odds because it will most likely be 4 handed. You are basically calling 100 to win 1300 more so you can make a case for calling but it is very marginal either way.

You flop a set 2/15 assuming all your 2's are live so the math follows as such assuming you never bluff.

13/15 * -100
+
2/15 (.8(1300) - .2(1000))

= 25

pretty simple but also fairly accurate I believe

500 more and this is an easy call

slik 11-01-2007 09:32 PM

Thanks, this super clarifies.

cts 11-01-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then again, you get to semibluff when you flop something, so you're not solely relying on stacking someone to break even.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't have it both ways. youre "putting him on AA so you can flop a set and stack him always so ur pf call is breakeven" or youre "putting him on AA and going to semibluff him off of it when he's already got half his stack in!"

mathematically this is a clear fold but it's certainly not an egregious mistake and maybe gives you more of a gambly image.

98s is far worse of course

duh 11-02-2007 06:44 AM

Just to clairfy:

Are we folding because the reverse implied odds negate the juicy PF pot odds?