Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Inappropriate Avatar? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372966)

FeliciaLee 04-05-2007 01:59 PM

Inappropriate Avatar?

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7...edribboxq6.jpg

Okay, this guy doesn't like Ribbo. I guess Ribbo owns him in PLO. He seems very immature and childish in his arguments. I think he must be young.

Anyway, he is upset that Ribbo is back on 2+2 and whining about it (although he is the one who seems to be doing most of the baiting, imo).

So he changed his avatar to show a pic of Ribbo with a surrounding "Serial Rapist Wanted" poster.

Too far?

TIA,

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ajmargarine 04-05-2007 03:16 PM

Re: Inappropriate Avatar?

Too far.

*TT* 04-05-2007 04:28 PM

I wish I understood why this avatar is still around, especially after Ed recently made a semi-race bating statement(sorry, I cant find it now). I think his nazi-twins (who are real life white supremests) are more of a statement than some of us might be comfortable with admitting.

I hate to harp on this... but its really foul to me.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9...afsdfsdqz9.jpg

Nick B. 04-05-2007 04:57 PM

if that snowman avatar is removed, it would be really lame.

*TT* 04-05-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if that snowman avatar is removed, it would be really lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you approve of two little girls who are real-life white supremacists, whose family wants to separate the nation into white and now white territories, and has ties to the Aryan Nation, KKK, the American Nazi party and the National Front? Thats pretty offensive to me. If you think Ed Furlong doesn't know he is creating a very offensive statement with that avatar then your naive.

We removed a cactus that looked like a swastika and that was a coincidence. This is the real deal, those two little inspire hate crimes. They are Prussian Blue, the pop-idols of white race-separatist Americans.

You still want the snowman avatar after learning what that really symbolizes? Its not two little girls making fun of Hitler, its two little girls idolizing Hitler. We are supporting their propaganda by not banning the avatar.

PS: maybe I am out of line, but this one really hits close to home for me. As close to home as it can be.

AJFenix 04-05-2007 05:39 PM

I do not think the snowman avatar should be removed. We are supporting propaganda by not banning the avatar? How are we doing that? Are people going to be swayed to that side of the spectrum by this picture? Is it providing some kind of compelling argument for that train of thought? Is it somehow singlehandedly inciting rage towards a group? FAR from it.

If anything, it does more to display how silly all of it really is. That group of white supremacists is seriously a joke. They hold rally's that 50 or so skinheads attend and yell at. They have no power, and they are no threat. Let them yell, they bury themselves. Also, the girls are pretty bad performers.

iron81 04-05-2007 05:44 PM

The snowman avatar is way over the line. Remember, the racism standard around here is WWMMD. Making people who deliberately incite hatred look cute and innocent would definately qualify as racist. Also, avatars are all of our responsibility and *TT*, myself or any of us can ask ed to take it down. Honestly, I'm tempted to ban him myself for the avatar.

NT! 04-05-2007 05:45 PM

i can't even really see ed's avatar when it's not blown up, i was wondering wtf it was

*TT* 04-05-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are supporting propaganda by not banning the avatar? How are we doing that? Are people going to be swayed to that side of the spectrum by this picture? Is it providing some kind of compelling argument for that train of thought? FAR from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are letting Prussian Blue get free exposure, its naive to not see that - its far easier to close your eyes and ignore it than to fight it head on. Their parents are brilliant marketers, they realize that by creating cute images of two young white supremacists they are single handedly reshaping the "movement" to include clean cut Americans for the first time since the middle of the century. And by allowing Ed or anyone else to use their daughters as an avatar they are getting all the free advertising they want to expose their philosophy on race.

I am all for free speech, but if Ed wants to express support for Prussian Blue then he should do it on his own website, not 2+2 - which is owned by people of Jewish decent - ironic isn't it?

*TT* 04-05-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The snowman avatar is way over the line. Remember, the racism standard around here is WWMMD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, based on past experience Mason would have the avatar removed. Ed never posts in B&M so I don't want to touch it, but since he posts in tons of other forums any of you can do the deed.

PS - I don't think he should be suspended or anything, just have the avatar removed.

FeliciaLee 04-05-2007 05:50 PM

And what do you think about the Rempel one, AJF? Since PLO is your forum, too, after all.

Nice hijack guys! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

*TT* 04-05-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And what do you think about the Rempel one, AJF? Since this is your forum, too, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll un-hijack by saying i don't know the situation, so I can't chime in. Sorry for the hijack Felecia!

FeliciaLee 04-05-2007 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And what do you think about the Rempel one, AJF? Since this is your forum, too, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll un-hijack by saying i don't know the situation, so I can't chime in. Sorry for the hijack Felecia!

[/ QUOTE ]
The situation is not relevant. The avatar shows a pic of Ribbo inside of a fake "Wanted: Serial Rapist" poster.

I was joking about the hijack. I accidentally do it all the time myself.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

iron81 04-05-2007 05:58 PM

I'm actually ok with the OP avatar. Everything I've seen around here is that mild trolling of other posters via avatars is acceptable. Remember tone's Lloyd avatar? It also helps that most users don't know what Ribbo looks like.

AJFenix 04-05-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And what do you think about the Rempel one, AJF? Since PLO is your forum, too, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone was allowed an avatar with someone's pic with big letters saying "BABY RAPIST on the top and bottom", that has been their avatar for a long time and I have yet to hear it mentioned. Not allowing the word "RAPIST" in avatars would probably be a smart call.

FeliciaLee 04-05-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually ok with the OP avatar. Everything I've seen around here is that mild trolling of other posters via avatars is acceptable. Remember tone's Lloyd avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, please link it?

The main reason I'm concerned is because of defamation of character (please note I'm not a lawyer and went to public school, so I'm probably going to show my ignorance here).

I would think that if someone can prove we were allowing their name/image to be libeled, 2+2 could be held responsible?

jman220 04-05-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We are supporting propaganda by not banning the avatar? How are we doing that? Are people going to be swayed to that side of the spectrum by this picture? Is it providing some kind of compelling argument for that train of thought? FAR from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are letting Prussian Blue get free exposure, its naive to not see that - its far easier to close your eyes and ignore it than to fight it head on. Their parents are brilliant marketers, they realize that by creating cute images of two young white supremacists they are single handedly reshaping the "movement" to include clean cut Americans for the first time since the middle of the century. And by allowing Ed or anyone else to use their daughters as an avatar they are getting all the free advertising they want to expose their philosophy on race.

I am all for free speech, but if Ed wants to express support for Prussian Blue then he should do it on his own website, not 2+2 - which is owned by people of Jewish decent - ironic isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with TT.

FeliciaLee 04-05-2007 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone was allowed an avatar with someone's pic with big letters saying "BABY RAPIST on the top and bottom", that has been their avatar for a long time and I have yet to hear it mentioned. Not allowing the word "RAPIST" in avatars would probably be a smart call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was the pic of another poster? Or someone in the media, or someone completely anonymous?

AJFenix 04-05-2007 06:04 PM

To someone that has no idea about prussian blue, how would they even know that thats who is in this picture? How would they know its more than two girls and a hitleresque snowman? They wouldn't. I fail to see how it is advertising for them and spreading their name if only the people who already know about them recognize and see it for what it is.

Nick B. 04-05-2007 06:05 PM

"i am support free speech, as long as it doesn't offend jews."

This is really such a joke.

AJFenix 04-05-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Was the pic of another poster? Or someone in the media, or someone completely anonymous?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3...yphillyhw5.jpg

Poster's name is RiverFenix. I have no idea who the person portrayed is.

ahnuld 04-05-2007 06:10 PM

I thought eds avatar was funny but I had no idea that it was from a real group of nazis. Changes things alot imo. Good news is most people, like me, dont know where its from.

Big_Jim 04-05-2007 06:16 PM

I would let the rapist avatar stand, unless Ribbo starts complaining about it.

WRT the snowman avatar, I agree with AJ. He has it hosted on a photobucket account with a random name, so there are no ties to any racist website or propaganda or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
Its not two little girls making fun of Hitler, its two little girls idolizing Hitler.

[/ QUOTE ]
Regardless, it looks like two girls making fun of Hitler, to anybody except those that actually know where it came from.

[ QUOTE ]
We removed a cactus that looked like a swastika and that was a coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]
That whole situation was completely laughable.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The only irony in this statement is in the first 6 words.

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I'm tempted to ban him myself for the avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Settle the hell down. A ban would be totally inappropriate, without at least a PM dialog beforehand.

All that said, the WWMMD principle does say that it should probably go.

Dids 04-05-2007 06:23 PM

Ed avatar is fine. Nobody views that as support for some hate group without looking way too hard.

FeliciaLee 04-05-2007 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. He did write me about it (although I had already seen it before him; he has Rempel on ignore). He didn't exactly ask me to take it down, but he wanted to make sure I was aware of it, and seemed as baffled as I am about the intense hate this guy has for him (Ribbo).

Big_Jim 04-05-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. He did write me about it (although I had already seen it before him; he has Rempel on ignore). He didn't exactly ask me to take it down, but he wanted to make sure I was aware of it, and seemed as baffled as I am about the intense hate this guy has for him (Ribbo).

[/ QUOTE ]
If somebody did this to me, especially with that kind of history, I would just laugh and laugh and laugh.

I'm not a Serial Rapist, though.

*TT* 04-05-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Free speech on a privately owned web forum doesn't exist. We can express your right to free speech elsewhere, but we don't have that absolute right here - its 2+2's decision. I think thats basically understood by most users, it should also be clear to all mods.

Big_Jim 04-05-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Free speech on a privately owned web forum doesn't exist. We can express your right to free speech elsewhere, but we don't have that absolute right here - its 2+2's decision. I think thats basically understood by most users, it should also be clear to all mods.

[/ QUOTE ]
While this is true, I don't see how it disputes Nick's comment.

*TT* 04-05-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought eds avatar was funny but I had no idea that it was from a real group of nazis. Changes things alot imo. Good news is most people, like me, dont know where its from.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 million hits on their website after a report by ABC news - http://www.prussianbluestore.com/. Thats a lot of people after a news story.

"# Recently they received international media attention because Prussian Blue is a White Pride band. The songs they the girls sing reflect their White Nationalist beliefs. Today, if you are White ,and proud to be White , it is considered Politically Incorrect by the media. The music that Prussian Blue performs is intended for White people. They hope to help fellow Whites come to understand that love for one’s race is a beautiful gift that we should celebrate."

Fan mail -
"Hi P. Blue, I found an article in a German gazette, showing both of you wearing the Hitler-smiling shirts. It was written to blame you, of course, and ... made me curious. I got a surprise such that I never would have thought - your music and lyrics affected me to tears. I thought about your message- this 'pride of heritage and name'. My grandfather was an accountant and SS-Member during WWII, fighting in Croatia against partisans. My whole youth I learned to be hostile against my ancestors’ history. For me - as for you - this time was long over; I felt moral superior to him and he was silent, never speaking about the war. Today, I feel ashamed for my attitude, but he is no longer alive to tell him of my regrets. I think he has done what his time demanded him to do - to give his family a better future in a self-determined nation. To be proud of this struggle is a hard piece of work in negative surroundings like modern Germany. You pushed me to think about our cir*****stances and the terrible condition we are in as a people. Therefore I'd like to send you an old picture of my grandma's Wedding with him on December 1933, may it inspire your lyrics. It has never left the family and was a long time hidden, hope you like it and ... I hope to see you perform once in Berlin. lovely greets, Jens"

more
"Hi Girls. I read about you in a South African Magazine. They told SA just what this messed up Country wanted to hear. How evil you guys are and how your parents are to blame for your downfall. Well, I am not that kind of South African. I am a separatist fighting a losing battle in the country my forefather fought and died for. Allow me a few moments to tell you what is going on in this Country. Since 1994 this country has gone to hell! Our crime rate is the highest in the world with a woman and Child being raped every 25 seconds. We also have one of the highest numbers of Aids infected people in the world. Sangomas (Black Traditional healers) tell the black masses that their Aids can be cured by raping a white Virgin. Mostly these white girls (and boys) are murdered after the rape. Due to affirmative action, white people are becoming poorer and poorer. If you are a Afrikaner you will find it extremely hard to find a job, and if you already have one u stand a good chance of losing it to a incompetent black woman with no degree of experience. Even going to college is becoming very challenging. A black person that failed to pass their final high school year would stand a better chance of becoming a qualified doctor than a white person that graduated highest in his class. Maybe you have heard of the SA Genocide called Farm murders. Since 1994 more that 2000 white farmers (usually elderly, woman and children) have been tortured and murdered. Allow me to explain a few methods that are being used by these bloodthirsty animals. Throwing boiling water over the victim is very common. Burning the victims with an iron, skinning the victim's feet and strangling is also methods used. If they can find a woman on the farm they attacked, they usually rape her, or at least assault her indecently, while her husband, father, or children are forced to watch. There is also a possible plot brewing amongst the black population to murder as many whites in one attempt as possible. It is called "Uhuru" or "the night of the long knives" This as possibly only a rumor that is being spread, but in a country like this, anything is possible. Can the Afrikaner people and other whites depend on u for support in these dark times that we in SA live in? We are in desperate need of international friends. I am hoping to hear from you soon! Sarel XXXX "

ugh.. this makes me sick.

Big_Jim 04-05-2007 07:03 PM

I can't stop laughing at this:

Prussian Blue- Sisters
[ QUOTE ]
We are sisters, UGLY and PROUD. We feel the poo as it comes out. We don't care if it's green or yellow, as long as it smells poopy.

We know we can't compare ourselves with Mary Kate and Ashley in 'beauty', but we got a mean stink and we ain't afraid of being booed at, 'cause we'll scare everyone away with our keed, yeah, that's our creed.

We racists gotta do someting 'bout those whites, man. They ruinin' our lives, and, of course, the blacks are best! Prussian Blue, man. That's us, we hate and we don't care, as long as we got our poo, we fine, we sisters. We sisters till the end, till the end (which is in a few days).

[/ QUOTE ]
Source

private joker 04-05-2007 07:04 PM

TT, I never knew about Prussian Blue until people started mentioning it on 2+2, and I'm glad I'm more informed. Having an avatar that makes fun of them is not offensive to me, and in fact the information I've received is valuable to me both as a jew and a part-time social satirist. Therefore I think it's wrong to remove an avatar mocking Prussian Blue.

NT! 04-05-2007 07:37 PM

i think it's a big stretch to think the avatar promotes the band. if MM wouldn't like it or find it funny we can take it down, no need to get into hyperbole about providing free exposure to some pubescent fascists. hell i know who they are and i couldn't even recognize them from the picture.

AJFenix 04-05-2007 08:13 PM

TT, I don't see how what you posted has relevance to what we are saying. Yes, we know they stand for something we look at as evil and wrong, and we are aware of their background and the people that support the same beliefs as them. The point being made is that you have a problem with this avatar and want it removed on the grounds that it is advertising for prussian blue and spreading their name/beliefs, when as I said only people who already know about them recognize them in the picture, and the link is anonymous. It is not an advertisement, therefor your main argument is wrong.

Mike Haven 04-05-2007 08:29 PM

I had no idea who the girls were, and, as someone said, it is difficult to see their faces in the avatar, in any case.

However, if it offends you, it probably offends a few others, so remove it, change it to a stock avatar, and pm edfurlong to tell him it's offensive to some readers of Twoplustwo. That will be end of story.

Yesterday I noticed a gif-avatar of Jesus on the cross saving a soccer ball from going in the net, with "Jesus saves" written across it. I deleted it. The guy accused me of being anal, but it's gone now and forgotten. I'm certain some Christians would have been offended by that image, so I'm happy with my decision.

JaredL 04-05-2007 08:32 PM

Mike,

I see where you're coming from, but I found this hilarious and a little hypnotic.

Jared

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...aneous_105.gif

ahnuld 04-05-2007 08:36 PM

lol its pretty funny man, but yeah that would piss some people off. FWIW I think ed's avatar is fine because you cant make it out and it seems to mock hitler, at least before you know who those girls are.

Mike Haven 04-05-2007 08:38 PM

If you believe in that type of thing, Jesus died on the cross to save us all, not to be made into a briefly amusing gif.

I don't believe in such things, but I can empathise with people who have such beliefs. If I was God, I wouldn't like to see that avatar.

JaredL 04-05-2007 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was God, I wouldn't like to see that avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm sure my dad would like to see me in an avatar making a save.

Mike Haven 04-05-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but not strapped into the electric chair, or however you get yours.

jman220 04-05-2007 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but not strapped into the electric chair, or however you get yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Mike.