Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ankiel HGH (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=495484)

TheNoodleMan 09-07-2007 01:21 AM

Ankiel HGH

Link

According to the article, thus far he is only known to have received it prior to it being banned by baseball. This is going to turn into a circus.

tuq 09-07-2007 01:22 AM

Re: Ankiel HGH

Haha and I just posted about what a great story this was in that other thread. Whatever.

owsley 09-07-2007 01:40 AM

goddamnit, this is just going to take steroid discussions to an even worse level than they were at before and warp what people think steroids do. guy takes HGH, turns him from a pitcher into a slugger who hits 3 HR in his first 3 games blah blah blah blah.

Suigin406 09-07-2007 01:42 AM

there goes the feel-good sympathy he was getting

MuresanForMVP 09-07-2007 01:47 AM

I'd do it if I was in his position

SuperUberBob 09-07-2007 01:57 AM

The start was too good to be true I guess.

Franchise 60 09-07-2007 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd do it if I was in his position

[/ QUOTE ]

NT! 09-07-2007 01:59 AM

don't care about this, didn't care about bonds, rodney harison, anybody else for that matter. sucka sucka dick, media

MuresanForMVP 09-07-2007 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't care about this, didn't care about bonds, rodney harison, anybody else for that matter. sucka sucka dick, media

[/ QUOTE ]

go Red Sox AMIRITE?!?

Case Closed 09-07-2007 02:01 AM

Hmmmm, I hate the cards so this actually means something to me. I never was mad at bonds or anything else.

Does this mean I am a hypocrite?

LBJ 09-07-2007 02:14 AM

Haha from the ESPN article, I found the quote of the Cards GM bitching pretty funny.

Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty said: "This is the first I've heard of this. If it's true, obviously it would be very tragic, along with everything else we've had happen to us this year."

Call the whaaaambulance you just [censored] won a World Series.

TheNoodleMan 09-07-2007 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha from the ESPN article, I found the quote of the Cards GM bitching pretty funny.

Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty said: "This is the first I've heard of this. If it's true, obviously it would be very tragic, along with everything else we've had happen to us this year."

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of weak to refer to a player taking HGH as tragic, especially when your team had a player die this year.

Russ M. 09-07-2007 02:19 AM

lol at grouping a player taking HGH with another player being killed in a car accident.

CharlieDontSurf 09-07-2007 02:28 AM

ehh Im actually at the point now where I no longer care if Bonds, Sosa, 90% of baseball did it pre ban. I'd only judge a player based on if they are currently using it now despite it being banned.

RickAstleyFan 09-07-2007 02:41 AM

Wow, this story is going to be HUGE.

Especially the announcement coming the day after he hits his third homer in two days and with the Cards in the playoff chase...

Vyse 09-07-2007 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this story is going to be HUGE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. No other non-Bonds steroid stories about sports have ever been huge.

RickAstleyFan 09-07-2007 02:44 AM

Seriously, this will be the top topic on Around the Horn, and PTI tomorrow.

Well, certainly in the first segment of both shows.

CharlieDontSurf 09-07-2007 02:45 AM

It would be awesome if he just came and said "Yeah I used it for that year. I was trying to save my career by converting to a hitter after pitching for the last 5 years and it wasn't illegal to use at the time. I used it for a year and then stopped when it was banned. And i don't regret what so ever."

Rubeskies 09-07-2007 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be awesome if he just came and said "Yeah I used it for that year. I was trying to save my career by converting to a hitter after pitching for the last 5 years and it wasn't illegal to use at the time. I used it for a year and then stopped when it was banned. And i don't regret what so ever."

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah. If it was legal at the time, then there is nobody to blame BUT major league baseball.

NT! 09-07-2007 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed, that would be so [censored] gangsta

Max Raker 09-07-2007 03:36 AM

How bad for you is HGH?

SomethingClever 09-07-2007 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad for you is HGH?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so bad.

This is a projected image of what Ankiel will look like in 6 months, however:

http://i.photo.empas.com/sinami/sina...enstein_01.jpg

J.R. 09-07-2007 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad for you is HGH?

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad for you is alcohol? It can be both very beneficial and very harmful, depending on things like who you are and how you use it and what kind.

The dirty secret about PEDs is that, like most other substances, it depends.

A big issue is not that pro athletes are "Lyle Alzadoing" themselves, but that those lower down on the pyramid (who lack the financial means and/or medical supervision) are "abusing" stuff they shouldn't.

Not to say steroids/HGH/"PEDs" are good, but much or their harm is from "misuse."

The controlled and intelligent administration of "PED" under medical supervision is far less dangerous than let on.

HGH side effects can range from the minor joint pain, and some fluid retention to the more serious high blood pressure, CNS issues and abnormal bone and cartilage growth. It can mess with hormonal levels, causing psychological problems, and can speed up existing processes like acromeglia. There are possible connections with types of cancer, diabetes and pituitary issues.

Joe Tall 09-07-2007 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A member of the team died this year, donkey.

metsandfinsfan 09-07-2007 10:14 AM

So jokehead selig was gonna suspend giambi unless he cooperated with an investigation
is clueless bud gonna threaten to suspend ankiel now?

RacersEdge 09-07-2007 10:29 AM

Wow - and I was just noticing yesterday in watchig his highlight clip how bulked up his face looked.

pepper123 09-07-2007 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow - and I was just noticing yesterday in watchig his highlight clip how bulked up his face looked.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously just look at his head

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8...jpeg300ds4.jpg
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3763/7nzx7hsvnd5.jpg

jesusarenque 09-07-2007 10:36 AM

Yawn

Kneel B4 Zod 09-07-2007 10:48 AM

Jocketty's comment is awful.

I agree with redbean that people don't really care about ped's. look at the mostly "meh" reaction that people gave to Merriman and Rodney Harrison, and to some extent Giambi and other baseball guys. if they cared for a week or 2, they forgot after the players came back. nobody cares anymore about Giambi and ped's.

people do care about hating barry bonds though.

sylar 09-07-2007 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously just look at his head

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8...jpeg300ds4.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3...7hsvnd5al2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

RedBean 09-07-2007 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with redbean that people don't really care about ped's.

<...>

people do care about hating barry bonds though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the 18 MLB baseball players suspended under the new policy since 2005, Sports Illustrated has run an original story reporting the incident on only 4 of them.

The other 14 they defered to running merely an AP report or MLB press release.

Think about that for a minute.

Of the 18 players who actually have tested positive for PED's and violated MLB's policy, SI only found it necessary to author their own original opinions and reports on 4 of the 18.

The other 14 didn't even merit their time in composing their own words in their own magazine or on their website.

Yet in that same 2-year period, they have done over 150+ seperate original pieces in print and on the web (both small and big) on Barry Bonds and the allegations surrounding him.

It's not about saving the children from witnessing role model athletes from using illegal substances.

It's really about saving the children from seeing the big black boogity man hit all those homeruns. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Boogity boogity boo....762 and counting....he's coming for YOU!

Benholio 09-07-2007 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of the 18 MLB baseball players suspended under the new policy since 2005, Sports Illustrated has run an original story reporting the incident on only 4 of them.

The other 14 they defered to running merely an AP report or MLB press release.

Think about that for a minute.

Of the 18 players who actually have tested positive for PED's and violated MLB's policy, SI only found it necessary to author their own original opinions and reports on 4 of the 18.

The other 14 didn't even merit their time in composing their own words in their own magazine or on their website.

Yet in that same 2-year period, they have done over 150+ seperate original pieces in print and on the web (both small and big) on Barry Bonds and the allegations surrounding him.

It's not about saving the children from witnessing role model athletes from using illegal substances.

It's really about saving the children from seeing the big black boogity man hit all those homeruns. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Boogity boogity boo....762 and counting....he's coming for YOU!

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex Sanchez
Jorge Piedra
Agustin Montero
Jamal Strong
Juan Rincon
Rafael Betancount
Rafael Palmeiro
Ryan Franklin
Mike Morse
Carlos Almanzar
Felix Heredia
Matt Lawton
Yusaku Iriki
Jason Grimssey
Guillermo Mota
Juan Salas
Neifi Perez twice

Do you really fail to see why Barry Bonds taking steroids would be more newsworthy than 14 of these guys? Surely Rafael Palmeiro wasn't one of the guys who didn't have their own article, so take the other 16 guys, and tell me, how many kids have those guys as role models, and how many have Barry?

To put it in historical perspective, how do you think articles would be written today if the following players were involved in a steroid scandal?

Belve Bean
Larry Benton
Earle Combs
Mays Copeland
Al Eckert
Hank Erickson
Skinny Graham
Jim Hayes
Babe Ruth

The reason all the articles are about Barry, is that he's one of the greatest of all time. He's at the top of the game. He's well known to everyone who knows anything about baseball. Leaders and high profile players and people are held to a different standard and a different scrutiny than the little guys.

I bet 18 other actresses got DUI's this year in Hollywood, but it isn't a suprise or shock that Lindsay Lohan is who we hear about on TV.

Jack Bando 09-07-2007 11:46 AM

I agree a little RedBean, either find some new proof (evidence, interview, anything) about Bonds or stop. I don't need to hear from Peter King for the 60th time this year how Bonds is a cheat and the HR's are tainted. Are they/is he? I think so, I also don't care for the most part.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, this will be the top topic on Around the Horn, and PTI tomorrow.

Well, certainly in the first segment of both shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay M:Ankiel is the greatest comeback story in baseball...oh wait, he used HGH? HE'S THE NEXT BARRY B! BURN HIM!

DesertCat 09-07-2007 11:47 AM

I'm under the impression that there is no evidence HGH has any performance enhancing effects, that studies have basically whiffed on it. Any medical types confirm/deny?

West 09-07-2007 12:19 PM

ankiel

Check out this article on the Ankiel story. Apparently when you're a feel good white guy ("his story was pure" ; "the Guy In The White Hat Here To Save Our Games"), HGH barely qualifies as a performance enhancer. You might say this is an obscure website or something, but when I rode into work this morning they were reading from the story on sportstalk radio.

g-bebe 09-07-2007 01:31 PM

Re: ankiel

This will kind of suck, but because I like what Ankiel's doing, I don't care too much what this stirs up.

Bonds sucks, though, and I still hate him no matter what.

IlliniLou 09-07-2007 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Link

According to the article, thus far he is only known to have received it prior to it being banned by baseball. This is going to turn into a circus.

[/ QUOTE ]
I KNEW IT !!!!! [censored] Cardinals, and how does Jocketty compare HGH to Hancock? i mean, ya its tragic but you cant do that together, how bout they get their players and coaches off the sauce? But i hate the Cardinals,
my fantasy football team name is "Hancock Driving School" haha

ClassicBob 09-07-2007 01:58 PM

Re: ankiel

[ QUOTE ]
Check out this article on the Ankiel story. Apparently when you're a feel good white guy ("his story was pure" ; "the Guy In The White Hat Here To Save Our Games"), HGH barely qualifies as a performance enhancer. You might say this is an obscure website or something, but when I rode into work this morning they were reading from the story on sportstalk radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at "obscure website."

Gregatron 09-07-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But i hate the Cardinals,
my fantasy football team name is "Hancock Driving School" haha

[/ QUOTE ]
Class act, all the way around.

RedBean 09-07-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really fail to see why Barry Bonds taking steroids would be more newsworthy than 14 of these guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, I'm not arguing that Bonds isn't more newsworthy.

I'm just pointing out that the folks at SI who are leading the charge to "clean up the game" didn't bother to write a single original piece on over 75% of the players that actually tested positive for steroids.

I'm not saying Bonds isn't more newsworthy.

I am saying that the other players should at least merit a single original piece if SI truly cared about cleaning up the game.

Of course, SI doesn't care about PED's.. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]