Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MOD DISCUSSION (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   New Degan accounts (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377495)

Evan 04-13-2007 04:36 AM

New Degan accounts

I'm guessing this has been talked about before but it was when I wasn't a mod so I'm not sure where to look and I think it was part of the big Sniper meltdown so it's probably buried in a huge thread.

What's the position on new incarnations of Degan? I think it's fairly obvious this guy is him: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpr...part=2&vc=1

I'll leave it in the reds' hands for now I guess.

Pokeraddict 04-13-2007 06:22 AM

Re: New Degan accounts

Yeah, I'm sure it is him. He got his name from me telling a troll to take a valium that was making a big deal out of nothing in A/R.

durron597 04-13-2007 07:20 AM

so when is he getting banned?

Evan 04-13-2007 07:50 AM

He just sent me this PM:

how long
until i get banned? any possible way i could not be banned on this account?

diebitter 04-13-2007 09:19 AM

we got a rat in the house, boys. Stay frosty.

Evan 04-13-2007 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we got a rat in the house, boys. Stay frosty.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying I'm Degan's rat?

diebitter 04-13-2007 09:37 AM

No. I was saying he got wind of your posts in mod forum from someone. I certainly didn't mean you.

ahnuld 04-13-2007 09:41 AM

cue 60 rat pics

Evan 04-13-2007 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I was saying he got wind of your posts in mod forum from someone. I certainly didn't mean you.

[/ QUOTE ]
We were both posting in the same thread and I said something like "I don't really want to get into talking about that, I don't think you're going to last very long anyway." And then I referred to him as Degan.

diebitter 04-13-2007 10:28 AM

Oh okay, my bad.

So you know, he was getting fed info from the mod forum before you arrived and no one really cared, so I was sort of joking.

Evan 04-13-2007 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh okay, my bad.

So you know, he was getting fed info from the mod forum before you arrived and no one really cared, so I was sort of joking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, I knew about that, which is why I thought maybe you were saying I was the one doing it.

nation 04-13-2007 10:58 AM

I got an email from degen a few weeks ago asking me why he was ban on sight and if that was even the case. I ignored him and didn't respond, should I have told him he was ban in sight?

diebitter 04-13-2007 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh okay, my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, I knew about that, which is why I thought maybe you were saying I was the one doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I wasn't trying to say that at all.

Mike Haven 04-13-2007 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh okay, my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No I wasn't trying to say that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not taking sides in your ongoing arguments with Evan, (they are private matters between the two of you, as far as I'm concerned), but I have to admit I was shocked by your intimation that he is the mole. (If rats can be said to be moles, in this context.)

Perhaps an apology is in order?

diebitter 04-13-2007 11:52 AM

Did you spill my pint?

Mike Haven 04-13-2007 11:59 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

private joker 04-13-2007 03:14 PM

Evan: FYI it's "Degen" as in short for "Degenerate." If you remember the long word, it's easy to spell the short one. Also, "degenerate" seems fitting given his recent behavior. (I also assume it's pronounced "deh-JEN").

Mike Haven 04-13-2007 04:04 PM

I've always thought it was pronounced dee-jen, with the notes of Ma-ri, as in Maria, I just met a girl named Maria.

daryn 04-13-2007 10:51 PM

DEE-jen

JaredL 04-13-2007 10:54 PM

Not going to lie I've been going DEE-gun. Not quite gun but basically like the pronunciation of the gon in Oregon for those of you that don't pronounce it like the gon in octagon.

private joker 04-14-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pronounce it like the gon in octagon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh I hate those people.

nation 04-14-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DEE-jen

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy B 04-14-2007 02:02 AM

Ooooh, tritone.

adanthar 04-14-2007 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hopefully BAN-ned

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JaredL 04-14-2007 04:28 AM

All,

In this post Mat wrote
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently this is an admission that you are degen. And even if you are not, you have chosen to be his voice. And his voice isn't welcome on the site. This account will now be banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty clear that he's ban on site. Considering he just ended a post with D, I think he should be banned.

On that note, I really would like the reds to comment further on users being ban-on-sight, in particular guys like degen and evenkeal. It's often the case that we have threads like this that basically go:
OP - I think poster X is an account of Y. Is Y ban-on-sight? Should X be banned?
reply 1 - Yeah he is definately Y. He should be banned.
reply 2 - Definately ban his ass.
reply 3 - Yeah somebody should pull the trigger on this one.
reply 4 - No [censored], how the [censored] is this [censored] not banned yet?
reply 5 - um, shouldn't this guy be banned? It's not in my forum so I don't want to get demodded for breaking rule #1 at least until I score my free books.

and on and on. Seems silly given that every single person is at least implicitly agreeing that he should be banned, and yet nobody has done it yet. Obviously that includes me. Getting something a bit more formal setup to determine who is ban on sight would be good. It would be great if Mat or Ryan would start a new thread with the current list (including at least IP locations or something like that would be extremely helpful) as well as some guideline. I think Ryan said something once about the mod doing the banning being allowed to make the poster BOS but I don't remember it going much further.

Jared

daryn 04-14-2007 03:54 PM

so which is it? ORE-a-gun or or-a-gon

JaredL 04-14-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ORE-a-gun

[/ QUOTE ]

That's closest. The gon is more like the first syllable of gonna or the vowel sound in want.

Absolutely nobody from Oregon or who has lived there for more than a week pronounces it or-a-gon. Also, New Yorkers and others say Are-a-gun which is amusing.

Stress goes on the first syllable.

Mike Haven 04-14-2007 05:51 PM

In the UK we pronounce it orrig'n with the stress on the OR.

Obviously, this is the correct pronunciation.

JaredL 04-14-2007 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the UK we pronounce it orrig'n with the stress on the OR.

Obviously, this is the correct pronunciation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's good. The cockney g'n is a good way to describe the gon. Obviously that exaggerates it somewhat.

Mat Sklansky 04-14-2007 07:45 PM

gun.

and ban on site for degen is fine if that's what we think is best.

Pokeraddict 04-14-2007 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gun.

and ban on site for degen is fine if that's what we think is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a good A/R rule. What about first time or close ot first time posters responding to threads involving his business that say "I'm posting for my friend." Just assume it is him?

Dids 04-14-2007 11:02 PM

ore as in the [censored] you mine for.

ehh

gun

I will accept nothing else.

Evan 04-15-2007 12:04 AM

Biggest mod forum hijack ever.

private joker 04-15-2007 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Greatest mod forum hijack ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original hijack centered around Degen's name, but then it got re-hijacked into discussion about Oregon.

"Um, guys am I permabanned from the site? What about my business? My hobby? My livelihood?"
"Sorry, homes, we're a little too busy figuring out how to pronounce Oregon to determine your future interaction on the web, m'kay?"
"*sigh* All right."

[pause]

"It's OAR-eh-gun."

MrWookie 04-16-2007 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DEE-jen

[/ QUOTE ]

JaredL 04-16-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ore as in the [censored] you mine for.

ehh

gun

I will accept nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to get this started again, the issue is that it's not really gun. If you say it like you would say gun that sounds nearly as strange as gone. I'm going to assume you know that and are just getting as close as reasonably possible since you're from Washington. Because you're from Washington I'll also assume that you like to cruise in the left lane going the speed limit.

Dids 04-16-2007 02:14 PM

Jared,

I promise you that I say it right, even if I haven't done it well in word form. I come from two generations of people that worked in northwest news, so we've had many conversations in terms of correctly pronouncing towns far more difficult than Oregon.

I give you: Puyallup.

MrWookie 04-16-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My old water polo coach, a displaced Californian, routinely called this "puh-LOO-pa." I don't know how he arrived at it. Tulalip is another one that throws people.

Nick B. 04-16-2007 05:09 PM

obv pull-ya-up.

JaredL 04-16-2007 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pew - where Christians sit on Sundays
all
up