Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Happy Thread--Post when coach/player/reporter does something good (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=508440)

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2007 05:11 PM

Happy Thread--Post when coach/player/reporter does something good

Too much negativity...let's get going with some positives in sports

I'll go first

hats off to the Cowboys, who are using the mid-range passing game.
It seems that football has forgotten the beautiful 10 to 20 yard pass. It's nice to see the Cowboys opening that back up, which makes for some fun football to watch.

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2007 05:11 PM

Re: Happy Thread--Post when coach/player/reporter does something good

i'll go again

kudos to the Pac10
they play a true round-robin, unlike the Big11Ten, and they schedule harder than anyone out of conference. They even play true road games.

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2007 05:15 PM

posted earlier

Wetzel Yahoo article on Miles, Michigan, LSU, and Midwest v Southeast

Needle77 09-24-2007 05:19 PM

Lets go with Jack Del Rio and Dirk Koetter.

Take away that odd spike at the end of the 2nd quarter. They out-coached what I think is a top 2 coach in the NFL in Mike Shanahan. They gameplanned perfectly for a tough road game and Mike Smith did a great job as the defensive coordinator. Having your team stuff the run without your best defensive player up the middle is something that needs recognition.

My other is Ken Wisenhunt. He realized his young QB was struggling and brought in Warner in a situation where he could shine. I hate seeing QB's switch around as only teams with stability can win, but it was one situation where I don't mind it. He came out today and said Leinert is starting so there is no controversy.

GBP04 09-24-2007 05:20 PM

Hats off to Mike McCarthy - despite a few bone head play calls, he is running the west coast offense extremely well and calling some great passing plays.

JordanIB 09-24-2007 05:20 PM

Sele for 2 batters; Show for 1!

SL__72 09-24-2007 05:26 PM

Seems like a good place to thank Adrian Peterson for making the otherwise painful experience of watching the Vikings play a little easier to endure.

tuq 09-24-2007 05:33 PM

Every little thing he does is magic, everything he do just turns me on...

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...0eaa7e02a2.jpg

jgunnip 09-24-2007 05:36 PM

Mike Hart: breathing.

SuperUberBob 09-24-2007 05:37 PM

Derrick Ward has been playing extremely well in place of Brandon Jacobs. I really hope they split carries when Jacobs comes back.

NozeCandy 09-24-2007 05:49 PM

Tom Brady, for really earning his money this year to send over to Bridget.

tuq 09-24-2007 06:01 PM

Also Koetter being a good OC is kinda LOL. He was run out of town after being mediocre at best at ASU. What's funny is, the OC job with the Jags is probably a better gig than the ASU head coaching gig. It shouldn't be but for some reason recruiters can't get top talent to come to a place that's warm in the winter and has 20,000+ co-eds.

I'm not saying he's not a good OC - it could be the Peter Principle at work, where good OC/DC's like Buddy Ryan and Norv Turner kinda suck as head coaches. It's just that I hear his name and it makes me cringe.

suzzer99 09-24-2007 06:15 PM

I'm very excited about the Chiefs' first round pick Dwayne Bowe. He may wind up being a star in this league. It's so awesome to watch a young player show incredible talent in the NFL for the first time. Especially when he's a wide receiver.

MrFeelNothin 09-24-2007 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also Koetter being a good OC is kinda LOL. He was run out of town after being mediocre at best at ASU. What's funny is, the OC job with the Jags is probably a better gig than the ASU head coaching gig. It shouldn't be but for some reason recruiters can't get top talent to come to a place that's warm in the winter and has 20,000+ co-eds.

I'm not saying he's not a good OC - it could be the Peter Principle at work, where good OC/DC's like Buddy Ryan and Norv Turner kinda suck as head coaches. It's just that I hear his name and it makes me cringe.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he has been pretty bad this year. Having Mike Tice as assistant HC can't help things.

bugstud 09-24-2007 06:33 PM

THIS OK STATE PRESS CONFERENCE IS AWESOME

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed
linky

SluggerWV 09-24-2007 06:43 PM

OSU Coach Mike Gundy backed his player and ripped the media. wp sir

Fonkey123 09-24-2007 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I saw it. Very good.

MyTurn2Raise 09-24-2007 06:46 PM

Mike Gundy backed it up again today (Monday)

SMIGLET 09-25-2007 12:55 AM

vince young and jason campbell for speaking out and making donovan mcnabb look like a huge btch

PokerFink 09-25-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My other is Ken Wisenhunt. He realized his young QB was struggling and brought in Warner in a situation where he could shine. I hate seeing QB's switch around as only teams with stability can win, but it was one situation where I don't mind it. He came out today and said Leinert is starting so there is no controversy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think part of Leinart's development is going up against defenses like Baltimore. They played more wide-open with Warner in there, why not leave Leinart in and expand the playbook for him?

Although kudos for making sure there is no QB controversy.

PokerFink 09-25-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
vince young and jason campbell for speaking out and making donovan mcnabb look like a huge btch

[/ QUOTE ]

Donovan McNabb for lighting up Detroit like a christmas tree.

cmstaab 09-25-2007 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed
linky

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even better when you read the retarded article he is referring too.

LINK

Jack of Arcades 09-25-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a good place to thank Adrian Peterson for making the otherwise painful experience of watching the Vikings play a little easier to endure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to thank Reggie Bush for making the Saints almost watchable.

Triumph36 09-25-2007 01:59 AM

Ron Jaworski is doing an awesome job on MNF, imo. At least, compared to Theismann.

Daliman 09-25-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed
linky

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even better when you read the retarded article he is referring too.

LINK

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not the greatest article, and the mother/chicken angle is weak, but it doesn't come CLOSE to warranting that diatribe from Gundy. He not a kid; he's a 21 year-old quarterback at a Division I major conference school. He's had it FAR easier than 99.9% of all people with regards to college life, and like it or not, he IS a professional athlete, (not that that matters.)

Nothing in the article was really all that inflammatory anyways.It's not an exceptionally well written article, but to say a guy has nerves and has problems toughing it out isn't a big deal. I 100% guarantee you that Gundy has said 10x worse to him to his face in practice and games.

I also find it funny that Gundy blows up this article to 100x more coverage than it EVER would have gotten. Way to "protect" your player, Mikey. Also nice how a few days later, you won;t back up your statements and say you don't want to talk about the subject that nobody would be talking about had you not acted like a child.

Gundy is an embarrassment not only to coaches, but adults everywhere.

Daliman 09-25-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ron Jaworski is doing an awesome job on MNF, imo. At least, compared to Theismann.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really had a huge problem with Theismann( although his tendency toward the hyperbolic annoyed me), but I 100% agree; Jaworski is the man.

MicroBob 09-25-2007 02:16 PM

Jaworski is definitely the man.
He even makes Kornheiser sound better too imo.

I liked Gundy's lashing although it was a bit over-the-top.
But I agree that some of the criticisms of amateur college-athletes is inappropriate and I think what Gundy did may actually make some reporters think about their tone somewhat. No, I'm not kidding.

The link to the article isn't working for me though.

Also, I assume from the name that the reporter is a female and one can't help but wonder if Gundy has some sort of issue not just with reporters making some stuff up but specifically with females doing the same thing.

But this is supposed to be a happy thread so I'll leave it at that.
Gundy is mostly awesome.
Jaworski is 100% awesome.

MicroBob 09-25-2007 02:19 PM

Also, I hadn't seen Kenny Mayne on Sportscenter for awhile but I've been catching him on Sunday nights and he's mostly pretty awesome.

Also, kudos to college football in general. Just loving this season so far for some reason. A few really awesome upsets and other exciting games.

I added it up in another thread and I had 25 different games to choose from on the tube just this past Saturday and I don't have a special package or anything like that.
Wall-to-wall coverage all day long of one game after another after another = awesomeness. It's only Tuesday and i'm already looking forward to this Saturday,

kidcolin 09-25-2007 02:29 PM

I'm 100% in agreement with Daliman. What a ridiculous, unprofessional reaction.

niss 09-25-2007 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He not a kid; he's a 21 year-old quarterback at a Division I major conference school.

[/ QUOTE ]

19, 20, 21, what's the difference? Most people would agree that the player is a kid. You are in the minority. You want to personally rip someone who gets millions to play sports professionally, I think many think that even that is out of line. College kids? Why not rip the local high school QB too while we're at it, for not doing his math homework?

And I'm sorry, I don't get why his college experience might be "easier" than everyone else means that he has consented to have some columnist rip him to shreds. If you found out that the kid never missed a class and spent every waking hour in the library, would that make you change your mind? Why should it?

Serious question -- at huge programs with tremendous local interest, like Michigan, Ohio St., Wisconsin, etc., do the columnists every write scathing personal attacks on the athletes? I don't know the answer, but something tells me they don't, leading me to believe that most of society understands that there is a line with respect to how college athletes should be treated and criticized.

[ QUOTE ]
I 100% guarantee you that Gundy has said 10x worse to him to his face in practice and games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you seriously not understand the difference between the coach ripping into him at practice and someone printing an article in a newspaper?

I usually think coaches that do this stuff are buffoons, but in this case I'm with the coach.

NajdorfDefense 09-25-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But I agree that some of the criticisms of amateur college-athletes is inappropriate and I think what Gundy did may actually make some reporters think about their tone somewhat. No, I'm not kidding.

Gundy is mostly awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

suzzer99 09-25-2007 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can they possibly turn up Kornheiser's mike? I always have to rewind to hear what he says, which is almost always something worth hearing.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I generally like Jaws, although I don't think I'm as far up his butt as most. But see if you can follow this reasoning: Larry Johnson doesn't have a right to bitch about the play calling as the reason he can't get any yardage... because he hasn't produced any yardage. um.... So are you saying he can only bitch when he's putting up 150 ypg?

Also I wish Jaws would just talk normal during the game, instead of doing his dramatic commentator voice thing. I think by now he's done that shtick so long he's stuck on it permanently. Must be fun around the house.

(do this with Jaws voice in your head)
"I'd better... see that room cleaned up... or you are grounded... ... ... for a week. I'm Ron Jaworski, and I'm your father."

DrewDevil 09-25-2007 04:58 PM

Jaws is pretty much the best analyst out there, so even with his flaws, I'm so glad he's on MNF. Especially considering who he replaced.

Also, it's a real pleasure to watch Tom Brady and Peyton Manning play football (even when they are beating up my Texans).

Daliman 09-25-2007 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The link to the article isn't working for me though.

Also, I assume from the name that the reporter is a female and one can't help but wonder if Gundy has some sort of issue not just with reporters making some stuff up but specifically with females doing the same thing.

Gundy is mostly awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice the intended tenor of the thread, therefore, I would like to state that I am very happy I am not elated to Mike Gundy, and he makes me feel very good about myself.

Also, I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kornheiser, although he's not as good on MNF as PTI, where he rules.

Daliman 09-25-2007 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He not a kid; he's a 21 year-old quarterback at a Division I major conference school.

[/ QUOTE ]

19, 20, 21, what's the difference? Most people would agree that the player is a kid. You are in the minority. You want to personally rip someone who gets millions to play sports professionally, I think many think that even that is out of line. College kids? Why not rip the local high school QB too while we're at it, for not doing his math homework?

And I'm sorry, I don't get why his college experience might be "easier" than everyone else means that he has consented to have some columnist rip him to shreds. If you found out that the kid never missed a class and spent every waking hour in the library, would that make you change your mind? Why should it?

Serious question -- at huge programs with tremendous local interest, like Michigan, Ohio St., Wisconsin, etc., do the columnists every write scathing personal attacks on the athletes? I don't know the answer, but something tells me they don't, leading me to believe that most of society understands that there is a line with respect to how college athletes should be treated and criticized.

[ QUOTE ]
I 100% guarantee you that Gundy has said 10x worse to him to his face in practice and games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you seriously not understand the difference between the coach ripping into him at practice and someone printing an article in a newspaper?

I usually think coaches that do this stuff are buffoons, but in this case I'm with the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is he IS 21, not 19 or 20, and the only thing he is not allowed to do at that age than any other adult is get the best possible rate on car insurance. He can drink, he can drive, and if he does both at once, he can be arrested, and guess what he gets charged as? AN ADULT! If you think 21 is a kid, I'm guessing you're either not 21 yet, or 21 is SO long ago for you it seems like you were just a kid back then. You wanna call an 18- year old a kid, fine, that's reasonable, but calling a 21 y/o a kid is insulting to him, and to common understanding of adult hood. What is an adult to you, 25? Maybe these "Kids" of 21 shouldn;t be allowed to drink or be old enough by 3 years to join the military, huh?

The columnist didn't "rip him to shreds". And it wasn't close to a "scathing personal attack". She just wanted to find out why the QB that was called the most talented on the team was not starting, when it was insinuated that he would be previously. She found out why, the coach didn't deny it.

As far as what I understand, it seems pretty obvious to me I'm not the one with gaps in understanding. You and the coach are in an exceptionally decided minority.

BillNye 09-25-2007 05:43 PM

Moss is gonna get a SB and be a 1st ballot HoF'er when he chooses to retire.

Daliman 09-25-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moss is gonna get a SB and be a 1st ballot HoF'er when he chooses to retire.

[/ QUOTE ]
Word. Just wish it was with the Vikings.

DrewDevil 09-25-2007 06:45 PM

After the RAH RAH GO GET EM COACH reaction that a lot of meatheads initially had to the Gundy story, I'm glad to see that people are coming around to the fact that he was completely wrong, and also an idiot if he thought he was going to deflect attention from his poor little mamma's boy quarterback.

MacGuyV 09-25-2007 07:00 PM

It's hard for me to form a strong opinion on this without knowing this woman's credibility prior to this.

Does she actually have access to inside info w/ a proven track record of being correct? If so the coach is probably an idiot & needs to address internal issues with his staff leaking information.

But the article does read a lot like a tabloid. Half the sentences begin with "Rumor has it", "If you believe the rumblings", "Word on the street"...meh. The Mom/chicken angle I thought was unreal. Don't most normal kids get over the "embarrased to be around your parents" thing shortly after Junior High?

In the end they're probably both idiots.