Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   TV: What are you watching tonight? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327345)

katyseagull 06-14-2007 12:20 AM

Re: TV: What are you watching? 6/5

Aw I'm sorry, Pryor. I wish they had used a real town for you. It had a very small town in Maine feel to it though. This wasn't one of the better episodes in my opinion. Who exactly is the black man who's been following them, anyone know?

pryor15 06-14-2007 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aw I'm sorry, Pryor. I wish they had used a real town for you. It had a very small town in Maine feel to it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is, they use real places in big cities, but when they get to small towns, they just make something up and go, "aw, hell, no one will notice" but it's just lazy and arrogant

and i don't mean using a small town in CT to resemble Maine (i think that's what they did), but, geez, pick a real town's name. either that or use all fictional names.

[ QUOTE ]
This wasn't one of the better episodes in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

well that's encouraging. i wasn't impressed with this one, although i do like Aaron Stanford.

MrWookie 06-14-2007 12:46 AM

Man, I really liked that third dance. The choreography was outstanding. I don't usually connect w/ a lot of modern-type dances, but that was remarkable. I loved the subtle shaking arms that were worked in. I really appreciate when they use something small like that to say something big. I try to do that a lot in my own dancing.

I'm just going to take a moment here and pause to appreciate the preponderance of booty shorts amongst the girls.

For the Argentine Tango, the chick had a great outfit, but she didn't have a great partner.

The weird homeless marionette thing was weird, but kinda cool.

The waltz was outstanding. I think that technically and emotionally, it was much better than the jive. It's not as exciting as jive, but it was the better performance.

The second hip hop was pretty good, but it didn't seem to be as good as the first.

The salsa was pretty good, but I believed in her more than I believed in him. Also, the guy looks a whole lot like a blonde Commodus.

The final broadway number was fun, but it didn't seem as technically impressive.

I guess that makes my pics for the bottom three couples the salsa, the second hip hop, and the Argentine tango.

pokerbobo 06-14-2007 01:20 AM

Re: TV: What are you watching? 6/13

Rescue Me Season Prem. and its not on the worth noting list ????? WTF

My fave show on TV at this time. Treat yourself people. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sniper 06-14-2007 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
katy,

i'm pretty sure Deer Harbor isn't a real town...stuff like that really pisses me off. is it so hard to use a real town name?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
pick a real town's name. either that or use all fictional names.

[/ QUOTE ]

pryor, just to be clear, you would prefer that they use a real town name for shots that look nothing like the town, rather than just create a fictional town name? (in the 2nd quote, what did you mean by "all")

Sniper 06-14-2007 05:21 AM

Re: TV: What are you watching? 6/13

[ QUOTE ]
Rescue Me Season Prem. and its not on the worth noting list ????? WTF

My fave show on TV at this time. Treat yourself people. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

bobo, for the most part, I have stuck to listing shows on the major broadcast channels. Feel free to add your thoughts on hot cable shows. I'm very interested in hearing what shows others are watching, that I haven't included.

You could start by telling us a bit about "Rescue Me"...

pryor15 06-14-2007 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
katy,

i'm pretty sure Deer Harbor isn't a real town...stuff like that really pisses me off. is it so hard to use a real town name?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
pick a real town's name. either that or use all fictional names.

[/ QUOTE ]

pryor, just to be clear, you would prefer that they use a real town name for shots that look nothing like the town, rather than just create a fictional town name? (in the 2nd quote, what did you mean by "all")

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it's not that hard to find a small town that looks kind of generic and is near the water. In the Maine example, you can't use a couple of towns (Camden, Old Orchard Beach, Bar Harbor, Bath, etc.) because a lot of people know what they look like and they have a distinct feel, but they could have used, say, Damriscotta and just sort of faked it.

i don't expect them to actually go to Damriscotta and film, but when you mix fictional and real towns, it tends to take me out of a story. so either New York is, say, Metropolis, or you find a real small town name you can use.

making one up just because not too many people will know the difference is just arrogant and insulting to the audience.

especially since it would have taken them, like, 2 hours on Google--tops

katyseagull 06-14-2007 12:04 PM

So did anyone watch On The Lot this week or am I the only one?

Lurkers? what did you guys think? I don't know about you but I watch these films and immediately think how they could have made their films so much better. This should be a lesson to all of you young filmmakers. Don't overdo the style and don't take a decent premise and then have your actors ham it up. Just doesn't work for me.

Blarg 06-14-2007 12:46 PM

It can be very hard to control your actors as an amateur, because they're essentially working for free. And because of the demands on them and because they're not free and because they're often young and very inexperienced, it's not that easy to find good actors. Sometimes it's all you can do to just keep their mistakes on the editing floor.

katyseagull 06-14-2007 12:50 PM

You have a valid point. A free actor or an inexperienced actor would be difficult to work with. But these were really simple films. It's the director's job to direct the actors. In several of them there was simply WAY too much overacting going on. How hard is it for a director to say TONE IT DOWN. Act like you would normally in an office setting. Stop yucking it up!