Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Guitar Hero III (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523244)

MuresanForMVP 11-01-2007 11:55 PM

Re: Guitar Hero III

not a lot of the scores are confirmed as you can see, but it's based on score.

chuckleslovakian 11-02-2007 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the game determine how many stars you get on a song? Average multiplier, total score, % of notes hit, or a combination?

[/ QUOTE ]
Based on score

But average multiplier is also based 100% on your score. Average multiplier is how you can tell how close you were to a 4* or 5*. 2x multiplier is 4* and 2.8x (or 2.801 bastards!) is 5*

kyro 11-02-2007 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what exactly does hyperspeed do?

[/ QUOTE ]
slows the song down.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it doesn't. It speeds up the notes coming at you so they're further apart, making it easier to time your strums.
The downside is that you can't see as many notes ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong, sir. Hyperspeed CLEARLY slows the song down to a crawl. Please do not post about topics with which you are unfamiliar.

fiskebent 11-02-2007 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are wrong, sir. Hyperspeed CLEARLY slows the song down to a crawl. Please do not post about topics with which you are unfamiliar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why don't you go troll some youtube GH vids instead?

Number27 11-02-2007 01:48 PM

I don't feel like resurrecting the GH2 thread so I'll use this one to brag that I finally broke 18.5m Expert Career score on GH2.

TheSalche 11-02-2007 02:42 PM

I'm starting to play this a bit over at my friends apt. I've played for 3 or 4 sessions as of now. I'm wondering how you guys progressed into getting better at GH. My friends recommended that I go through and try to beat as many songs on easy as I can, go back and try medium on the same songs, after attempting medium finish up the easy and then finish up the medium, continue repeating till I pwn TTFAF.

Any good tips for a noob who is having trouble going from blue to red on medium (lol).

GH noob.

Shaffer 11-02-2007 02:46 PM

Nice ttFaF vid there GT1T. I'm currently up to 475k on the song for a solid 4-star, and your vid gives confirmation that adding 100k to the song and five-starring it is within my capabilities. You sustain a lot of sick combos that I'm a ways away from being able to manage (the ascending and descending sections prior to the SP-activation power chords are impressive) and you are more solid in the solo than I am, but overall I should be capable of matching that with consistency in the alt-strumming parts and a better use of SP than I've been managing.

I still don't know the song to the point where I can quite keep up with HS3 (my best runs have been on HS2) but hopefully I'll get there.

In good news, I've been owning up on Xbox Live and have managed both the "Life of the Party" and "Seek and Destroy" achievements (hosting 15 consecutive song wins and joining for 15 consecutive song wins).

Oh, and Cliffs of Dover rules. That is all.

Number27 11-02-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to play this a bit over at my friends apt. I've played for 3 or 4 sessions as of now. I'm wondering how you guys progressed into getting better at GH. My friends recommended that I go through and try to beat as many songs on easy as I can, go back and try medium on the same songs, after attempting medium finish up the easy and then finish up the medium, continue repeating till I pwn TTFAF.

Any good tips for a noob who is having trouble going from blue to red on medium (lol).

GH noob.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would work on finger placement first. On easy and medium you should always have your index-green, middle-red, ring-yellow, pinky-blue and focus on using those fingers to hit those notes.

Once you have that down I would work on HO/PO's. When you see a glowing note try to just press the button and not strum.

After you get that down start to work on alternate strumming.

Then once you can do that (and presumably are up to hard) start working on sliding and hand placement for the orange note.

Also don't worry about getting really good when you first start out. Just enjoy playing the game. You'll get better over time. Don't worry about pwning TTFAF on expert any time soon.

I've been playing since the first guitar hero came out (and real guitar for the better part of a decade) and I can't 5* TTFAF on expert.

Grue 11-02-2007 03:01 PM

heh if he can't beat all of easy uh easily he doesn't need to worry about hopos or alt strumming. Just beat easy and go onto medium and go from there. again I'm a huge hyperspeed fan and if you are having trouble on the lower tier songs on easy then try turning it on.

on another note I'm not quite sure I'll ever beat the intro to holiday in cambodia on expert. god I hate the altstrumming songs/sections.

Nicholasp27 11-02-2007 03:22 PM

i didn't worry about having to 5* everything on a level before moving up

i moved up as soon as i could beat a decent # of songs on a level...once i was beating most medium songs first time trying, moved to hard...same with moving to expert

it's not like moving up early in poker where u can go broke...worst thing that happens is u fail...but u can't learn to use 5 frets by playing on easy and 5*ing it...u gotta jump into the water and start playing songs with all 5 buttons used...

JustPlayingSmart 11-02-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm 380k on Number of The Beast...
Please be a 5*...
[censored] 4* guess I will go to the more stats and see how close I was to the 2.8 multiplier needed for 5*...
Average Multiplier 2.800...

WHAT THE [censored] [censored] [censored]!??

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you submit that see if you can help prove the 5* cutoff? Also, I assume that it was probably a score of like 2.7998 or something and it actually has to be 2.8000 for 5*

OOPSYDOOPSYBRO 11-02-2007 04:22 PM

Devil went down to Georgia on hard is [censored] rigged.

Yes Satan I would like expert followed by double notes, TY.

Ghazban 11-02-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that I can't beat it and I can't take it into practice mode [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The_Taj 11-02-2007 07:19 PM

<----straightens vision out after playing "Through the fire and Flames"

OOPSYDOOPSYBRO 11-02-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that I can't beat it and I can't take it into practice mode [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat it my 7th try, I just loaded up the icon things and used all 3 at once.

housenuts 11-03-2007 02:57 AM

What are all the cheats for this in the cheat menu?

I've unlocked air guitar, hyperspeed, performance mode, and precision mode <-- i have no idea what this one does

there's still 3 more cheats that are locked. anyone know what they are?

Brocktoon 11-03-2007 03:08 AM

Yeah, can we get a list of the cheats and what they do. Thus far I haven't used any and dont know any, except hyper speed which is pretty much pointless since I only play on Hard currently..

MuresanForMVP 11-03-2007 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
heh if he can't beat all of easy uh easily he doesn't need to worry about hopos or alt strumming. Just beat easy and go onto medium and go from there. again I'm a huge hyperspeed fan and if you are having trouble on the lower tier songs on easy then try turning it on.

on another note I'm not quite sure I'll ever beat the intro to holiday in cambodia on expert. god I hate the altstrumming songs/sections.

[/ QUOTE ]

man up with Holiday In Cambodia

Number27 11-03-2007 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are all the cheats for this in the cheat menu?

I've unlocked air guitar, hyperspeed, performance mode, and precision mode <-- i have no idea what this one does

there's still 3 more cheats that are locked. anyone know what they are?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think precision mode narrows the timing window on the notes, particularly the HO/PO's to something closer to GH2.

DukeSucks 11-03-2007 09:56 AM

I got the Meet Your Maker achievement last night. If anyone cares about these things and wants a good chance to get it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , let me know and I'll play you.

MasterShakeJr 11-03-2007 10:55 AM

If there are any other noobs like me having trouble with dealing with the switch from medium to hard, here's something I've tried. I go to practice and I practice the bass parts on expert. They're usually repetitive enough that I can figure out simple hand shifts and what works and what doesn't. It's really helped me deal with the orange notes and HOPOs without the constant rejection of failing songs.

The Bus Driver 11-03-2007 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there are any other noobs like me having trouble with dealing with the switch from medium to hard, here's something I've tried. I go to practice and I practice the bass parts on expert. They're usually repetitive enough that I can figure out simple hand shifts and what works and what doesn't. It's really helped me deal with the orange notes and HOPOs without the constant rejection of failing songs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Medium to Hard is definitely the biggest and most difficult transition in the game. It would be cool if there was a level in between with the 5th fret, but otherwise no additional difficulty piled on top of that.

Good tip practicing on the bass parts.

Tinga 11-03-2007 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got the Meet Your Maker achievement last night. If anyone cares about these things and wants a good chance to get it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] , let me know and I'll play you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm interested in getting this

TheCroShow 11-03-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the transition definitely is tough! i would also recommend practicing a song with a lot of hammer ons and pull offs. if you can learn hos/pos, you will have a much easier time with hard mode.

Number27 11-03-2007 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're one of the creators of the game?

MasterShakeJr 11-03-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And BTW the bass parts on expert have lots of opportunities to practice alt strumming.

fiskebent 11-03-2007 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're one of the creators of the game?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a 'viral' achievement. So if you beat someone who's beaten a creator, you also get the achievement.

So basically you get the achievement if you beat someone who already has the achievement.

GetThere1Time 11-03-2007 03:11 PM

fwiw, the jump from M to H should be a tiny bit easier now. Every difficulty has it's own fretboard scroll speed now where as in GH2 it was just slow on E and M and fast on H and X.

vulturesrow 11-03-2007 04:17 PM

~What

Picked up a copy today finaly, was the last one at my local costco (89$ FTW). What do I need to do to get signed up for the previously mentioned senior's league ? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cobrakai111 11-03-2007 06:14 PM

Re: ~What

GH noob here. I was cruising along the easy level until I reached Raining Blood. This song is killing me. Am I in a lot of trouble in this game if I have trouble on easy and the blue hasn't even entered the equation yet.

The_Taj 11-03-2007 07:06 PM

if anyone is having trouble with the intro in "Through the fire and flames" on expert i recommend putting a rubber band around the green key and then taking it off once you get through the intro lol.

blackize 11-03-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

GH noob here. I was cruising along the easy level until I reached Raining Blood. This song is killing me. Am I in a lot of trouble in this game if I have trouble on easy and the blue hasn't even entered the equation yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. I hit the same snag. After 3 hours I managed to beat Raining Blood on easy and then moved on to medium. Just to see how hard it was I tried RB on medium right after beating the first 4 songs and completed it on my first try.

J-P 11-03-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if anyone is having trouble with the intro in "Through the fire and flames" on expert i recommend putting a rubber band around the green key and then taking it off once you get through the intro lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this is what I do but I still can't tap it full speed. Any of the lesser speeds and it's cake. I prolly just gotta spend a little more time on it.

Zimmer4141 11-03-2007 10:15 PM

I finally beat Lou, now I'm working on the TTFAF intro. I'm trying to hold down green with my left index finger and tapping Red through orange with my right index through pinky, elbow strumming the first note.

Number27 11-04-2007 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally beat Lou, now I'm working on the TTFAF intro. I'm trying to hold down green with my left index finger and tapping Red through orange with my right index through pinky, elbow strumming the first note.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm using GT1T's tapping method. It work pretty well and I suck at tapping.

Brocktoon 11-04-2007 03:33 AM

Is there any difference between "tappping" and just hitting a bunch od hp/pos in a row?

Number27 11-04-2007 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any difference between "tappping" and just hitting a bunch od hp/pos in a row?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tapping is when you use your strumming hand to tap some of the notes in a long HO/PO section. It's generally reserved for a HO/PO section that is too fast to play with your fretting hand alone. Jordan Solo B and TTFAF intro are probably the most well known instances where tapping is required to hit 100% of the notes.

I don't think there are any instances where you have to tap a section to pass it so most GH players will never have to tap even if they play on expert. The only people that really get good at tapping are the scorehero regulars that are trying to make it into the top 100.

I can 5* every song on GH 2 (including Jordan) without tapping and every song on GH 3 (except TTFAF) without tapping so it's really unnecessary if you're not going for an FC.

MuresanForMVP 11-04-2007 04:12 AM

for an example of tapping, watch this video and wait for the big solo

bottomset 11-04-2007 05:05 AM

I was watching some of priestmlh's battle mode videos, sick stuff

some people are way to good at this game

MasterShakeJr 11-04-2007 10:35 AM

This might have been answered, but I can't wade through this whole thing again. Do I have to enter the 'unlock all' code every time I play, or is there a way to permanently unlock it?