Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=314354)

Maulik 05-30-2007 01:11 AM

Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

kolotoure,

how long are you going to be in BsAs?

kolotoure 05-30-2007 06:59 PM

SpecT is going for ~6 months so I will be there that long, after that 6 months I will decide if I'm going to stay or move somewhere else

TheMetetron 05-30-2007 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SpecT is going for ~6 months so I will be there that long, after that 6 months I will decide if I'm going to stay or move somewhere else

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me your AIM. I've got SpecT's, but not yours.

spyderracing 05-30-2007 07:59 PM

Metetron, you didn't happen to go to the University of Michigan did you?

TheMetetron 05-30-2007 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Steem_Machine 05-30-2007 11:48 PM

Is Chagas disease a big problem where you lived?

TheMetetron 05-31-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Chagas disease a big problem where you lived?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had to look it up because I had no idea what that was. No, it's not at all. It's not very tropical here.

Chairman Wood 05-31-2007 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Are you looking for someone living here that did? I graduated from there in 05

whangarei 06-01-2007 03:43 AM

I'll be in town from June 11th to the 20th. PM me if you'd like to meet up. Beers are on me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ilprincipe 06-01-2007 10:43 AM

Is the University of Buenos Aires (economic dept.) having lectures in English, or only in Spanish?

If the latter, how long would it take to learn spanish well enough for academic use (I have no knowledge of spanish at all, the 'closest' thing is 3 years of french in high school)?

TheMetetron 06-01-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the University of Buenos Aires (economic dept.) having lectures in English, or only in Spanish?

If the latter, how long would it take to learn spanish well enough for academic use (I have no knowledge of spanish at all, the 'closest' thing is 3 years of french in high school)?

[/ QUOTE ]

People I know taking classes have all of their classes in Spanish. I believe that's all they offer, but I could be wrong.

whangarei 06-02-2007 05:29 AM

I read BA is a pretty fashion consciuous city. I'm used to wearing jeans/shorts and a T-shirt for pretty much everything. Will I need to dress up to get into decent restaurants/bars?

Chairman Wood 06-02-2007 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
read BA is a pretty fashion consciuous city. I'm used to wearing jeans/shorts and a T-shirt for pretty much everything. Will I need to dress up to get into decent restaurants/bars?

[/ QUOTE ] Most restaurants and bars, usually never. Just as long as you aren't in the habit of going to restaurants with ripped jeans and stains all over your shirts I think you should be fine. There may be a few restaurants that might require something but I've never been to one.

Most night clubs still no. Especially on the weekends. During the week and usually on Wednesdays going to night clubs around 7-10pm for "after office" parties is a very popular thing. Business casual is what is accepted so most places won't let you in with jeans. That is the only time I've ever known there to be a dress code anywhere.

Maulik 06-02-2007 04:59 PM

Chairman,

I've been to Opera Bay with jeans during the week and during the weekend. It's user discretion like most things, you wouldn't go to the Four Season's with short (I hope).

theTourne 06-02-2007 06:52 PM

I'm going to be in BA next Wednesday-Sunday. I need to look back through this thread for advice/suggestions, but do any residents know of anything special happening next week that I should be sure not to miss? Thanks.

theTourne 06-02-2007 06:54 PM

Also, I really want to go to the Copa Libertadores semis on Thursday at la bombonera. Any advice on procuring tickets would be very much appreciated.

TheMetetron 06-02-2007 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I really want to go to the Copa Libertadores semis on Thursday at la bombonera. Any advice on procuring tickets would be very much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck?

Maulik 06-02-2007 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be in BA next Wednesday-Sunday. I need to look back through this thread for advice/suggestions, but do any residents know of anything special happening next week that I should be sure not to miss? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not miss Opera Bay, off of de Mayo street (I forgot which cross-street) is a historic Tango show (oldest or so they claim in BsAs). Tango Show - any night of the week.

theTourne 06-02-2007 11:20 PM

Met -

Heh, yeah, I know. I'm still going to try though.

Maulik -

Cool, thanks.

Chairman Wood 06-03-2007 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Here's a start:

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/_CategID_10434

I'd google some other places as well and see what they have. You sometimes might be able to show up day of and buy at the box office but that is HIGHLY unlikely for this game. Also, we've done the scalper thing outside of the stadium to try to get tickets. This worked fine for games against smaller teams but I have no idea about this game or how much of a markup you would be expecting. Also this is a night game and I would want to spend as little time as possible in the areas not immeditely near the stadium where you might have to go for tickets.

Another note about La Bombonara: I always advise people in general to buy platea tickets. There you shouldn't run into problems. But if you must have popular tickets, use extreme caution and don't get tickets in the populars that are below the visiting team. That is the side that is on Brandsen Street. You are at the mercy of the other teams fans throwing things on you. I've seen some very nasty stuff; vomit, urine and large metal pipes are par for the course.

Chairman Wood 06-03-2007 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chairman,

I've been to Opera Bay with jeans during the week and during the weekend. It's user discretion like most things, you wouldn't go to the Four Season's with short (I hope).

[/ QUOTE ] Yes but when boliches have their "after office" parties jeans aren't usually allowed. Other nights yes its fine.

TheMetetron 06-03-2007 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chairman,

[/ QUOTE ] Yes but when boliches have their "after office" parties jeans aren't usually allowed. Other nights yes its fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sort of depends.

I've gone to after hours with a blazer, button up shirt, and nice jeans with nice dress shoes and gotten in. But if you are wearing jeans with any less than that I wouldn't count on it.

Maulik 06-03-2007 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chairman,

[/ QUOTE ]

This sort of depends.

I've gone to after hours with a blazer, button up shirt, and nice jeans with nice dress shoes and gotten in. But if you are wearing jeans with any less than that I wouldn't count on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. designer jeans FTW as usual.

RiverPlay 06-03-2007 10:45 PM

Hi! I'm Argentinian myself and live in Buenos Aires, I might add some of my thoughts here if TheMetetron is OK with it. It could be usefull since theres is so much about Buenos Aires and Argentina to be asked.

Chairman Wood 06-03-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i! I'm Argentinian myself and live in Buenos Aires, I might add some of my thoughts here if TheMetetron is OK with it. It could be usefull since theres is so much about Buenos Aires and Argentina to be asked.

[/ QUOTE ] Cool, yeah, go ahead and answer any questions that come up and if you have the time, read through some of the questions and answers earlier in the thread and feel free to add-on information or correct us if we are wrong.

Slap My Jack 06-05-2007 10:26 AM

TheMetetron,

Since Buenos Aires' winter ends around August, does it have an "allergy" seasons when mold and pollen are most potent during its spring?

I want to completely avoid such a period if that is the case, so when would be a good time to arrive? Anything else related you can think of?

I'm going through my second allergy season right now since I just moved. A third time would be a huge beat.

Thanks

TheMetetron 06-05-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TheMetetron,

Since Buenos Aires' winter ends around August, does it have an "allergy" seasons when mold and pollen are most potent during its spring?

I want to completely avoid such a period if that is the case, so when would be a good time to arrive? Anything else related you can think of?

I'm going through my second allergy season right now since I just moved. A third time would be a huge beat.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Winter ends September 21st this year in Argentina. Yeah, there is supposedly an allergy season just like most other places in the spring, but I hear it isn't really that bad here. I have no first hand experience with it unfortunately.

whangarei 06-05-2007 07:22 PM

Is Colonia, Uruguay worth a day trip for a visitor? If so, what are some thing to see/do there?

TheMetetron 06-06-2007 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Colonia, Uruguay worth a day trip for a visitor? If so, what are some thing to see/do there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how long you are there. Tigre is a better day trip and there are a ton of better places in the country to go if you have time.

Maulik 06-06-2007 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you see one you've seen the other. How many days are you in BsAs for?

whangarei 06-06-2007 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just 10 days. It sounds as if Colonia is probably not worth it then. I am planning to spend a day in La Plata mainly to visit the Natural Sciences Museum, which is supposed to be like the 5th best such museum in the world. Anybody been there?

TheMetetron 06-06-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just 10 days. It sounds as if Colonia is probably not worth it then. I am planning to spend a day in La Plata mainly to visit the Natural Sciences Museum, which is supposed to be like the 5th best such museum in the world. Anybody been there?

[/ QUOTE ]

In 10 days, I'd tried to take a day trip to Tigre and one other short trip (3 days or so) to either Iguazu, Mendoza, Bariloche, or Mar Del Plata; depending on the time of year.

Haven't been to La Plata, but depending on when your trip is I may have been there before you come.

Maulik 06-06-2007 07:03 PM

Met,

Three days at Igacu is unncessary. You'll need one travel day- do it at night. Wake up early, get to the park 20 mins before opening, spend 4-5 hours on the Argentinian side and another three or so on the Brasilian side.

Take the local buses from the airport to the falls.

TheMetetron 06-06-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Met,

Three days at Igacu is unncessary. You'll need one travel day- do it at night. Wake up early, get to the park 20 mins before opening, spend 4-5 hours on the Argentinian side and another three or so on the Brasilian side.

Take the local buses from the airport to the falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was specifying some sort of 3 dayish type trip. If 2 days is all that is needed for Iguazu then that's cool. Haven't been yet, but probably going very soon.

Maulik 06-06-2007 07:25 PM

TheMetetron,

Don't bother w/ the Brasilian side.

Chairman Wood 06-06-2007 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't bother w/ the Brasilian side.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really disagree. There are some fantastic photos to be taken from there and one close up walk of some of the falls that I think is even better then anything on the Argentine side. I agree that 3 days is a bit much but I like to take my time and really enjoy things and I think trying to do both sides in 1 day is a bit much. I would suggest arriving and doing the entire argentine side in one day. Also be sure to take a boat trip up the river a ways. Next day do the Brazilian side.

Chairman Wood 06-06-2007 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ok, to say that it is not worth the trip and that his time would be better spent elsewhere on a short trip may be true but to say that Buenos Aires and Colonia are one in the same is completely false.

TheMetetron 06-06-2007 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ok, to say that it is not worth the trip and that his time would be better spent elsewhere on a short trip may be true but to say that Buenos Aires and Colonia are one in the same is completely false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed 100%. They aren't even remotely close.

Maulik 06-07-2007 12:21 AM

Chair,

I was comparing Uruguai & Colonia.

Chairman Wood 06-07-2007 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] As others have said, if I only had a short time to spend here I would spend it doing other things. However, if you were to live here or spend a lot of time here in BsAs, Colonia can be a nice place to get away from the city for awhile. About a month ago I spent a very nice day there. Took the speed ferry from here, got off at the port and rented a moped. I used that to go to the Historic section of the city. Viewed the Colonial style buildings and then drove the moped up and down the coast surrounding the city. Took in some relatively fresh air and enjoyed myself. The historic part of the city is what brings in the tourists and to me wasn't anything really special but it can still be a nice way to spend a day.