Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   October [censored] thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513878)

SlowHabit 10-12-2007 07:42 PM

Re: October [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
ah, ok. I didnt realize they treated trading earnings are regular income, I thought it fell under cap gains. I realized there was a difference between st. term and long term cap gains but I thought it was based on fixed rates, no short term = your regular tax bracket. That makes sense

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, they only do so when you have a small regular income and large capital gains. If you make like 200k and has a 10k capital gains, I doubt they give you the AMT treatment.

hERESY 10-13-2007 09:30 PM

I've been lurking in the BFI forum every day for a few weeks & appreciate this [censored] so much. Even got myself a (small passive all ETF) portfolio now. Just fyi... thxthxthx

maniacut 10-14-2007 12:36 AM

I'm mostly a lurker too. Slated to graduate next year with a Bachelor of Commerce Business Management degree, finance major, economics minor. I too am going to set up a small portfolio likely all ETF's.

Question: I'm Canadian and wondering which broker I should use, I'm going to invest in maybe 3 ETF's and some t-bills. The ETF's are the start of my portfolio (think very long time horizon, and high risk tolerance) and I don't see myself making any more investment in the portfolio until at the least mid '08 barring some lucky event (no more funds basically). The t-bills are for a student debt I have to pay in ~13 months... Who do I sign up with: Etrade, TD, something else?

TheProdigy 10-14-2007 01:54 AM

Hey guys,

I'm new to investing and have been blindly investing in some Vanguard ETF's with good success. I am young and want to invest wisely. I have read some beginner's books and been trading on and off for a couple months, so I know the basics.

I now want a book and/or place that teaches me how to evaluate stocks(companies) and etf's. Like what to look for in a good company, how to look through their credentials, etc.

Any good books and/or other things to help me with this?

ahnuld 10-14-2007 10:39 AM

security analysis by graham

SlowHabit 10-14-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

ahnuld 10-14-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

[/ QUOTE ]

what? Sure its boring but its worth a read.

SlowHabit 10-14-2007 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha. It was a joke. Kind of.

I have it sitting in my book case. I still can't believe my first investment book was "The Intelligent Investor." That's like the worst decision ever because it turned me off and delayed my stock market learning for a few years.

Luckily, Warren Buffett exists [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

bmxicle 10-14-2007 06:43 PM

I've been getting my subscription to the economist for the last month and i've really been liking that. It's much better then picking it up on an occasional basis cause you really get a feel whats going on and how things are changing week to week.

Are there any other good magazines you guys could suggest that might be worth reading? I'm in Canada if that makes any difference.

ahnuld 10-14-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha. It was a joke. Kind of.

I have it sitting in my book case. I still can't believe my first investment book was "The Intelligent Investor." That's like the worst decision ever because it turned me off and delayed my stock market learning for a few years.

Luckily, Warren Buffett exists [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the newer versions are easier to read because they mix up grahams original writing which can be dense with new incepts that make it a much quicker read despite doubling the length