Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   NJ Law Journal 8/27/07 -- Front Page Article on IMEGA Suit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=487407)

oldbookguy 08-30-2007 07:59 PM

Re: You are not missing anything, but consider the impact ....

Yes, by having members they may beat the standings issue, though I think they should list at least one with an et al in the complaint.

Still no answer on my question of the RIPE issue since the NJ Fantasy Judge has now invoked UIGEA Fantasy Exemption in that decision, without the regulations being published.

Any effect?

obg

tangled 08-30-2007 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about how this could apply to cash games, and I think I came up with something that might work. Maybe you guys can expand on it a bit.

It is a poker contest with guaranteed prizes.

Basically, instead of paying a rake, the participants would pay a time charge.

Say you have a $50 buy-in. The contest could start at time X and run for 30 minutes. With 9 players, you could guarantee a prize of $441, keeping $9 in fees. These could run everytime a table fills up.

I think this meets the criteria. It would be a little bit different than your standard cash game as you would have to wait for the table to fill for the contest to start. And then the contest could run until time was up; at which point the contestants could just join another contest. Perhaps there could even be a 'play again' option and a 'waiting list' for players who choose to not play again.

Let this post cover me in case someone tries to claim a patent before I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a timed Sng where the person with the most chips at the end of the specified time period would win first prize, second most chips, second prize, etc.

You would probably want to increase significantly the number of places paid and flatten out the payoff % to make it more like a cash game. Also, the blinds would stay constant throughout the tournament, unlike in a regular SnG.

You of course could just have the prizes be based on the percentage of chips a person has in front of them at the end of the contest. As long as the total purse is guaranteed, then that might be OK, although I don't know. If it is OK then you really would have a cash-game-like set up.

Bottom line is if SnG would be legal, then you could certainly set up some of them to approximate a cash game. There would be differences, but that would be good for us because 2+2ers adapt better to differences then the casual player.

I don't think getting too creative would be advisable at first. Let things settle in before testing the model.
------------

One more thing, social conservatives would have a fit if poker tournaments in any form were to become legal, but could they do anything about it? I imagine they could pass a law that specifically prohibits poker regardless of the structure, but since they no longer control Congress, that would be a hard thing for them to do. So their is a value for us to want Dems in office, even if they may never support us enough to pass a statute that makes poker legal outright. I know the Engineer has made this kind of point before when someone points out that Dems are not a reliable supporter of Gaming freedom.

Coy_Roy 08-30-2007 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I imagine they could pass a law that specifically prohibits poker regardless of the structure,

[/ QUOTE ]

They wouldn't dare piss off the poker lobby that they now know exists.

TheEngineer 08-30-2007 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing, social conservatives would have a fit if poker tournaments in any form were to become legal, but could they do anything about it? I imagine they could pass a law that specifically prohibits poker regardless of the structure, but since they no longer control Congress, that would be a hard thing for them to do. So their is a value for us to want Dems in office, even if they may never support us enough to pass a statute that makes poker legal outright. I know the Engineer has made this kind of point before when someone points out that Dems are not a reliable supporter of Gaming freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. The data clearly demonstrate this fact, as well as the fact that an Internet gaming ban was in the last Republican Party platform (I'm guessing it won't make it into next year's, but I suppose it could...we'll see). As a Republican, I wish it weren't so, but it is. However, when it comes to poker legislation, I'm nonpartisan, so screw everyone who's against us!

Dems may not all fight the good fight for us, but their leaders won't be remotely receptive to FoF letters urging them to pass legislation against it. If Republicans still led every House committee as they did last year, I think we'd be in trouble right now. Hopefully we'll gain some support from Republicans once they get crushed in '08 and decide they once again believe in limited government, but for now we'll have to happy to peel a few off here and there.

tangled 08-30-2007 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I imagine they could pass a law that specifically prohibits poker regardless of the structure,

[/ QUOTE ]

They wouldn't dare piss off the poker lobby that they now know exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are right. My point was simply that it is a lot easier to block a bill than to pass one, especially when your party is out of power.

I would also like to add something to the timed SnG idea. I don't think you have to do anything creative in the area of exacting Vig. Just charge an entry fee like is already done in a traditional SnG. Doing it this way would actually benefit the cash game player as sites usually exact more vig from a cash game than a SnG. That is why bonuses are easier to clear playing cash games. Sites may have to drop RB deals , but that would be OK because you would be paying less rake to begin with.

Legislurker 08-30-2007 08:57 PM

I guess maybe I hadn't noticed before, but you can now pay $ to join iMega as an individual or corporation. Anyone live in the Fed Court district want to take the plunge?

whangarei 08-30-2007 09:50 PM

Could someone define "ripeness" and "standing" for us non-lawyers?

Grasshopp3r 08-31-2007 12:27 AM

ripeness = the law applies to the situation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing

standing = jurisdiction or whether the court feels like it can take the case. For example, if it is an interstate commerce matter, the Fed circuit court will have jurisdiction. If it is an assault & battery, the municipal court will hear it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurisdiction

Those are not Black's definitions, but they are more comprehensible.

Merkle 08-31-2007 11:02 AM

Re: We want to test the market for Poker Contests, so we posted some

An easier way is this: find anyone in your local jurisdiction and get them to plan to open a venue for regular poker contests. Have them rent a place and seek permits (for a kitchen or bar or whatever) and explicitly state in the permit requests that the business will run "poker contests." When the permits are denied because "poker is illegal" THEN you sue to get the permit. Same issues, same parties, no risk of criminal prosecution.
Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably be willing to do that. Especially if a fund was in place to cover legal expenses.

Skallagrim 08-31-2007 11:12 AM

Re: We want to test the market for Poker Contests, so we posted some

[ QUOTE ]
An easier way is this: find anyone in your local jurisdiction and get them to plan to open a venue for regular poker contests. Have them rent a place and seek permits (for a kitchen or bar or whatever) and explicitly state in the permit requests that the business will run "poker contests." When the permits are denied because "poker is illegal" THEN you sue to get the permit. Same issues, same parties, no risk of criminal prosecution.
Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably be willing to do that. Especially if a fund was in place to cover legal expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in New Hampshire, I'd do the legal work for free and only charge you costs (maybe a cut of the profits if we win). If you live in another state, contact the PPA and see if they know a local attorney willing to help.

Skallagrim