Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Books: What are you reading tonight? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=480768)

TheDudeAbides 09-05-2007 04:17 PM

Re: Books: What are you reading tonight?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm reading Chinua Achebe's "Things Fall Apart" for a philosophy class. It's wonderful so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved this book when I read it in University. I think I'll pick it up again.

nick604 09-06-2007 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Angela Carter is fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for flagging that up - I just finished The Magic Toyshop, and really enjoyed it. Think I'll need to read it again sometime soon tho, so I can properly appreciate all the symbolism.

g-bebe 09-08-2007 02:49 AM

I'm reading Anthony Kiedes' autobio, "Scar Tissue." As expected, so far it's been almost entirely about his drug use.

i am run 09-08-2007 03:36 PM

clublife by rob the bouncer..

BigPoppa 09-08-2007 05:26 PM

Just started "Collapse" by Jared Diamond

Mr_Moore 09-08-2007 08:04 PM

a mixture of the fountainhead, crime and punishment and airframe if i ever remove myself from here.

SoloAJ 09-26-2007 12:32 AM

Everybody in the Lounge quit reading or what?

I listened to an audiobook version (from the guttenberg project online) of The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. I liked it, but didn't think it was amazingly incredible. It definitely was better than the new movie version, which I, unfortunately, saw before reading the book. I enjoyed it a lot and think it's worth a reread at some point.

I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird for class. Yes, I'm a 22 year old senior and this is the first time I've been assigned TKaM. Amazingly, this is the first I've really ever picked it up. It was a slow starter for me, but it's growing on me bit by bit. (I have the Gregory Peck movie coming from Netflix in a few days, so I will be able to compare after I read the book).

What else ya'll readin Lounge?

Shadowrun 09-26-2007 12:43 AM

TKaM is a fine book. Too bad she doesnt write anything else.

Edit: Forgot to add reading Plato's "The Republic" for another philosophy class.

Enrique 09-26-2007 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What else ya'll readin Lounge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am finishing up on Criptonomicon. It is pretty long, so far I am on page 880 (out of ~1150).
I read some books while taking a break from reading Criptonomicon they were:
The Game by Neil Strauss. Interesting book about the community of pick up artists.

America Misunderstood by Sivakumar. A compilation of news editorials from around the world concerning the election of
Bush in 2004. It was a very interesting read.

Kill Phil by Blair Rodman and Lee Nelson. I didn't like it that much, although it does give good ranges of hands for short stack play.

The Making of a Poker Player by Matt Matros. I liked this a lot, as it has a story structure instead of an education structure as a poker book. I enjoyed it a lot, I think the chapter on heads up play was really good. It was also made more interesting by the fact that I read it parallel to "The Game" and both are storied about guys who work very hard and study hard to become great in a specialized community. Interesting connections.

rothko 09-26-2007 01:17 AM

ender's game orson scott card