Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   ($60 Turbo) ryanghall inspired me to post this JJ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=254573)

Melchiades 11-08-2006 11:02 AM

Re: ($60 Turbo) ryanghall inspired me to post this JJ

Pineapple. I really don't know if I should laugh or feel for you. You visit what is probably the number one resource for learning STT, and yet seems bent on not learning anything and be as confrontational as possible. I have never seen you actually seem willing to change your position even when presented with good reasoning for doing so. That coupled with your posts about running bad is either very funny, or very sad.

Jbrochu 11-08-2006 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a $5.50, definitely bet the flop, no question. The reason that I didn't here is because I was afraid of getting floated by overcards and having the pot taken away from me by the river.

edit: and I didn't want to get bluff-raised

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet the flop here regardless of the buy-in. It's going to be difficult for UTG, if he's a good LAG, to bluff raise you with air in this spot, especially with the SB behind him as well.

The problem I have with check/calling is UTG is going to C-bet with anything a great majority of the time, and now you’ve bloated the pot without gaining any additional information. It’s nice to let a LAG bet the worst hand into you, but against a good LAG, on a coordinated flop, in a multi-way pot where you might have the best hand, I like testing him early.

Very interesting hand and discussion. Gave me lots to think about.

DCJ311 11-08-2006 12:08 PM

Very villain-dependent hand here. Vs some I'd allin preflop, vs others I'd reraise to 1200 and vs others I'd just call. Post-flop against most normal players betting flop+turn your JJ will be beat more than 50% of the time, I'd imagine.

I might even consider folding turn with JJ in this spot, as crazy as it is. Against some aggressive players though, check-caling down isnt a bad line.

Generally though you will get most bang for your buck here by reraising to 1200-1400 preflop or simply leading out the flop into the raiser. If you bet 800 on the flop and the UTG raises, you can probably make a logical fold as UTG won't be bluffing that often given that he has to worry about the SB as well.

Also, allinning preflop can be a profitable play if your range is JJ,QQ,KK,AA and AKo/AKs. If I'm playing vs a guy who I know is this tight in such a spot, it makes QQ a really hard call given the stacks. Against the same regulars, I'm willing to make a few -EV plays here and there to set up the metagame.

durron597 11-08-2006 12:51 PM

Great post. Here are my thoughts:

[ QUOTE ]
Very villain-dependent hand here. Vs some I'd allin preflop, vs others I'd reraise to 1200 and vs others I'd just call. Post-flop against most normal players betting flop+turn your JJ will be beat more than 50% of the time, I'd imagine.

I might even consider folding turn with JJ in this spot, as crazy as it is. Against some aggressive players though, check-caling down isnt a bad line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely thought about folding the turn, but I thought he might be valuebetting AT/KT vs. a percieved OESD often enough, or a T9/99 semibluff often enough to make the call profitable given pot odds.

[ QUOTE ]

Generally though you will get most bang for your buck here by reraising to 1200-1400 preflop or simply leading out the flop into the raiser. If you bet 800 on the flop and the UTG raises, you can probably make a logical fold as UTG won't be bluffing that often given that he has to worry about the SB as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely think that if I lead the flop and get raised I have an easy laydown. That may be the best way to play this hand. I also don't think I'm getting 4-bet with air here. So those may be the best ways to play this.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, allinning preflop can be a profitable play if your range is JJ,QQ,KK,AA and AKo/AKs. If I'm playing vs a guy who I know is this tight in such a spot, it makes QQ a really hard call given the stacks. Against the same regulars, I'm willing to make a few -EV plays here and there to set up the metagame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't confident that he would lay down Queens to an allin here, and getting called by AK is a total disaster given stacks. The thing about $60s is that in general there either aren't enough regulars who are paying attention to other regulars to make that kind of metagame play - the player pool is large enough that I don't think you can count on past history / metagame plays even against the players you play all the time because they probably aren't factoring metagame into their play too much either for the same reasons.