Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   chopsticks, fried rice, white people (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553829)

Dids 11-26-2007 03:18 PM

Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

I won the "chopsticks skillz for white people" contest we had for the lunar new year. I think this was because I could pick up a paper clip or something.

felson 11-26-2007 03:35 PM

OP,

Unfortunately, you look exactly like someone who needs a fork. To prevent future awkwardness, I recommend a ballcap with the logo "CHOPSTICK EXPERT." A T-shirt saying "NO FORKS PLEASE" would also be helpful. Maybe with some golden dragons and fireworks on it? That would be sweet.

quickfetus 11-26-2007 03:46 PM

You have no idea how much time I spend looking at your avatar, Noah. It tilts me so hard that I waste upwards of 20 minutes a day starting at Doc Rivers (is that his name?) do a symmetric santa impression or some [censored].

tyler_cracker 11-26-2007 03:58 PM

felson,

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, you look exactly like someone who needs a fork. To prevent future awkwardness, I recommend a ballcap with the logo "CHOPSTICK EXPERT." A T-shirt saying "NO FORKS PLEASE" would also be helpful. Maybe with some golden dragons and fireworks on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

dids,

CHOPSTIX SKILLZ FOR ROLLZ?

punkass 11-26-2007 04:49 PM

Asian, and especially Korean, rice is short grain sticky rice. You can easily eat this rice with chopsticks. When you do fried rice, or eat long grain "American" rice, chopsticks are very ineffective.

So chopsticks with sticky white rice. Fork or spoon for fried or American rice. You Americans and your "separate grains".

From the OP: I have noticed that when I am out only with Asian friends, we don't get forks. When there's a non-asian with us, we all get forks. Eh, no big deal.

Claunchy 11-26-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have no idea how much time I spend looking at your avatar, Noah. It tilts me so hard that I waste upwards of 20 minutes a day starting at Doc Rivers (is that his name?) do a symmetric santa impression or some [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
Does the Chicken Dance play in your head when you watch it? It does in mine.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-26-2007 06:14 PM

you aren't supposed to eat rice with chop sticks in Korean culture! asian american faux pas!

tyler_cracker 11-26-2007 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you aren't supposed to eat rice with chop sticks in Korean culture! asian american faux pas!

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. what are you supposed to use, mysterio?

JokersAttack 11-26-2007 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, fwiw, when we are at home, my wife will eat her steak (uncut) with chopsticks. she just stabs it down the middle with both sticks and eats it like a steak-on-a-stick

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to me like it would be alot more difficult and annoying than simply using a knife and fork. I'm actually starting to tilt.

tdarko 11-27-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rice dishes served on a plate are eaten with a fork and spoon. Rice served in a bowl is eaten with chop sticks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was understood. Also, who eats fried rice or even orders chicken fried rice as a meal? I thought only little kids ordered this?